Menu

Ignore this thread!

12 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Woo-hoo!  30 minutes of spring break!  At least it’s easier to come back from!  😊

I know!  I thought it was so funny when they told me that last night.  :)

They talked to some friends at church about what they are doing for Spring Break.  Most of them said, "Nothing."

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!  It's The Queen's favorite day!

This is my last week of "full-day" school.  Friday we have off.  We'll have half days of school for April (or until subjects are finished) and then summer break.  Some Students may be doing math a bit longer.

Coffee!

Brilliant!  And Jealous! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Slache said:

I've never seen Supernatural. I imagine that I would love it. I love fantasy.

It's ending after next season, which will be it's 15th.   It's on Netflix so I'll occasionally binge watch some older ones.  Some seasons/episodes aren't as good as others but if you stick with it, many of them are amazing.  

10 hours ago, myblessings4 said:

I think Billy Jack was a movie.

I couldn't watch any of the Nightmare movies after the first one.

The Nightmare movies get better.  I think the Dream Warriors was one of the best.  Of course, that doesn't apply if you don't like gory horror.  

8 hours ago, Junie said:

March Madness continues!

Ds18 and I have followed the tournament yearly; this is the first year that we entered official brackets on ESPN.  (You have to be 18+, so I waited until he was old enough to officially do his own.)   On several of my brackets I predicted 14 out of the 16 teams to make it to the Sweet Sixteen round.

dh disturbed my viewing a few times during the end of the Duke game.  Evidently it was quite the game (he's a Duke fan). 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

dh disturbed my viewing a few times during the end of the Duke game.  Evidently it was quite the game (he's a Duke fan). 

I heard that the Duke game was a nail-biter.  Duke's coach said that the other team deserved to win -- they played hard and smart apparently -- and there's video of him consoling the other team after the game.

• Like 2

I had to listen to the end of the Duke game. DH gets so mad when Duke wins, it sounds like he's developing a stomach ulcer from all the groaning and yelling at the television. I just hunker down with my writing and try to ignore the sounds of distress. 

Writing today. Getting set to hear back from my agent this week about whether we go on sub, or if I get to cut some more.

• Like 5

Last week I went to Pennsylvania to visit my dad in the hospital.  I left dh with all 5 girls.  He felt very out-numbered.

One night while I was away, the devotional reading was Psalm 3.  The girls thought it was hilarious, given the situation.

Lord, how are they increased that trouble me! many are they that rise up against me.

Many there be which say of my soul, There is no help for him in God. Selah.

But thou, O Lord, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head.

I cried unto the Lord with my voice, and he heard me out of his holy hill. Selah.

I laid me down and slept; I awaked; for the Lord sustained me.

I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people, that have set themselves against me round about.

Arise, O Lord; save me, O my God: for thou hast smitten all mine enemies upon the cheek bone; thou hast broken the teeth of the ungodly.

Salvation belongeth unto the Lord: thy blessing is upon thy people. Selah.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Good morning. DH and DD didn't get home from the WWE match till past 11 last night, and DS is on a sleepover, so we are taking it nice and slow this morning. Maybe DD and I will cue up a documentary so it feels like we are accomplishing something educational. Any recs? We have Prime, Hulu, and HBO, but no Netflix.

I am on Day 3 of trying out intermittent fasting, after having to eat normal meals yesterday because I was feeling sick after church. I discovered on Day 1 that I can't do the "bulletproof coffee on an empty stomach" thing--felt like I was coming down with an ulcer--so I'm attempting to replace the coffee with Matcha and a bit of cream. I think the caffeine withdrawal was what caused the sick feeling yesterday. Feeling better today, but pretty tired and unmotivated. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!  It's The Queen's favorite day!

This is my last week of "full-day" school.  Friday we have off.  We'll have half days of school for April (or until subjects are finished) and then summer break.  Some Students may be doing math a bit longer.

Coffee!

😵 Beyond jealous. We'll be going until mid-June. And then she goes to camp for 5 weeks. 😢

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Good morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!!~D

Monday!!!!

We are taking Sprong Break this week. Our Charter says this is Spring Break and that is fine by me. I need it. I had hoped to hold out till the week between Palm Sunday and Easter, but I just can’t last that long.

• Like 4

Lol, Junie, with the Psalm. I remember when I was teaching school and I had difficult students I’d always read and pray this certain Psalm, I can’t remember which one it was, but it talked about God breaking the arms and legs of those who were against the Psalmist. It made me feel better.😂

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Dh spilled coffee all over the kitchen yet again.  I just got a notice that he went to Starbucks (for some reason I get these notifications).  I kind of wish that he would go to Starbucks every morning.  Much less mess.  Though more expensive. 

Coffee woes here too.  I made afternoon decaf and my girls finished off the vanilla creamer.  Afternoon decaf is the only time I use creamer, but not today.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

I am going to the lake with one boy. The other wasn't in a fishing mood, so he's staying home with DH. I'm taking character profile work with me. Getting excited about this rewrite of my new series. Plus I have another story that won't go away, so I guess I've got three stories to choose between for November's NaNo? 

• Like 5

The dishes need washing.

The floors need sweeping.

The laundry needs folding.

So of course I have been out digging weeds from my flower bed. The sun is shining 🙂

And the first daffodil is blooming.

Edited by maize
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Why are there so many different list of prepositions that don't agree with each other? I need John to memorize the prepositions for his grammar, but the one we have in the grammar does not match up with the classical conversations song that I have. After looking for another song I have found that none of the lists of prepositions are the same. Why?

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Slache said:

Why are there so many different list of prepositions that don't agree with each other? I need John to memorize the prepositions for his grammar, but the one we have in the grammar does not match up with the classical conversations song that I have. After looking for another song I have found that none of the lists of prepositions are the same. Why?

Some are less commonly used as prepositions than others.  I used to worry about the CC song not matching the list in FLL.  If the song is easiest to use, just make that your list.  Just pick one and stick with it.  But teach the idea of what a preposition is too so he'll understand if he runs across others.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Some are less commonly used as prepositions than others.  I used to worry about the CC song not matching the list in FLL.  If the song is easiest to use, just make that your list.  Just pick one and stick with it.  But teach the idea of what a preposition is too so he'll understand if he runs across others.

Yeah, that's what I figured. The list is basically a list of examples behind the idea so it doesn't matter which one I use. Which of course means we're using the song!

Thanks.

• Like 2

So last month I started on some supplements for Cycle Issues... and they seem to have worked! At least partially! Symptoms are much improved, although not totally gone. We'll see how tomorrow goes, since historically Day 2 is worse than Day 1 for me. I assumed I would have to do some "tweaking" and that I wouldn't get the balance right first try, but man, I was Truly Not Expecting this amount of improvement. Whee!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, egao_gakari said:

So last month I started on some supplements for Cycle Issues... and they seem to have worked! At least partially! Symptoms are much improved, although not totally gone. We'll see how tomorrow goes, since historically Day 2 is worse than Day 1 for me. I assumed I would have to do some "tweaking" and that I wouldn't get the balance right first try, but man, I was Truly Not Expecting this amount of improvement. Whee!

I used to lie in bed and cry before I stopped gluten. I couldn't believe the difference it made.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I need $1,000 to buy more curriculum (that I don't need). I'm looking at the Master's Books catalog. I want...

• The "God Created" coloring books
  • The fruits of the spirit read alouds
  • Jason Lisle's new Logic curriculum (I am such a fan girl!)
  • More than words Bible study (why are there no samples!?)

They now make DVDs to go with Jacob's Algebra and Geometry with is kind of exciting.

Have you guys ever used any of their materials? I've never opened one and not been disappointed. I do love Lisle though and would totally use his logic curriculum! If I wanted to do logic now that's what I would buy. I love him.

Now Imma look at the IEW catalog. I cleaned a lot today and want to throw the catalogs away.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Slache said:

We don't memorize prepositions. I just teach them to pick out prepositional phrases.  They're kind of easy to spot and get a feel for. And if they end in a noun, chances are they are a prepositional phrase. I really love prepositional phrases. They are one of my favorite grammar things.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

I am cold and tired and have a sore throat which makes me want to eat all the time because surely that will help it.  And it's dreary.  No sun today.  

This has been Monday Afternoon Whining with Lynn.  

I'm sorry, honey!!!! Here's some chocolate. And a warm, fuzzy blanket!!!!! And the remote control.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IEW wishlist:

• Teaching The Classics (I've been putting this off because of maturity but I might actually buy it soon)
  • Ancient History card game! Will it enhance my children's history knowledge to unprecedented levels and make us incredibly impressive at the wedding? Will it sit unwrapped on the shelf for years to come? Who knows! That's half the fun!
  • They have a study skills thing now! I must needs!
  • Three writing supplements. Because, you know, it's a language arts curriculum.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Slache said:

That's probably because you're not allergic to gluten! :laugh:

Actually I am, or I have celiac, which I guess isn't an allergy but an intolerance 🙂 When I got diagnosed I did a lot of reading and most books said that period problems would likely get better after a few weeks on the diet. But I've been on the diet for over 5 years now, and there's been no change in the Cycle Issues, if anything they've gotten worse. My GYN even looked for Endo but said he didn't see any.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, egao_gakari said:

Actually I am, or I have celiac, which I guess isn't an allergy but an intolerance 🙂 When I got diagnosed I did a lot of reading and most books said that period problems would likely get better after a few weeks on the diet. But I've been on the diet for over 5 years now, and there's been no change in the Cycle Issues, if anything they've gotten worse. My GYN even looked for Endo but said he didn't see any.

That's not fair! You should write a letter or something.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, egao_gakari said:

Celiac is an auto immune disease.  There is non-celiac gluten intolerance as well but Celiac is different than an intolerance. 

Booyah

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 2

Just now, Renai said:

Wait, which thing did I read? I clicked something. But, I've clicked many things in the past 3 minutes! Shoot! Now you got me doing that thing! Ack!

The Well Trained Mind v. IV. I feel like she walks you through study skills.

Just now, Renai said:

As much as you have your kids studying, they are already learning the skills. You don't need a separate curriculum.

But I want all the things. :sad:

For things like that I usually pick from a curriculum's TOC and teach what I want.