Menu

Ignore this thread!

Good morning!

I was not sweating hot last night like the past few nights, so I slept much better.  Not sure what that was about.  Dd12 is going camping with the Scout girls this weekend - dh is going along.  She is super excited. It's going to be cold - down into the 20's at night.  We have winter camping gear, but still.  That's cold.  

We finally got dd16's SS card, so now she can apply for a passport.  

We have nowhere to go tonight!  I don't even have to pantz!

Coffee!

• Like 5

Had to get up and going early this morning so I'm reading/posting from the science center.  Had to drop of dh's car for a front differential.   I'm here until after 4 today, then have to be at my Tech Tuesday by 5:30 and need to pick up the car and eat somewhere in there.  Tomorrow is all day classes, workshop until 4:30pm then taxes.    Thursday is a "normal" day with just classes, but Friday dd has a TKD belt test.  And somewhere in there I should go visit my dad at the hospital.   When it rains, it pours I guess.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

How's your dad, Junie?

He was moved out of ICU to a regular room, and then moved again to a respiratory unit.  My mom says that recovery is going to be a long, long road.  She has a lot of hope.

Truthfully, I don't have much hope at all.  I am mentally preparing for the worst.  Not necessarily right now, but I see it coming.

My mom is an eternal optimist.  I"m not.  I live with a chronic illness.  Parkinson's is even more difficult  because it is progressive and degenerative.  I know that (unless a miracle happens) he isn't going to get "better".

I know that God can heal; I also know that death is a natural part of life.

Sorry for the heavy thoughts so early in the morning.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Junie said:

He was moved out of ICU to a regular room, and then moved again to a respiratory unit.  My mom says that recovery is going to be a long, long road.  She has a lot of hope.

Truthfully, I don't have much hope at all.  I am mentally preparing for the worst.  Not necessarily right now, but I see it coming.

My mom is an eternal optimist.  I"m not.  I live with a chronic illness.  Parkinson's is even more difficult  because it is progressive and degenerative.  I know that (unless a miracle happens) he isn't going to get "better".

I know that God can heal; I also know that death is a natural part of life.

Sorry for the heavy thoughts so early in the morning.

Both hope and realism are necessary. Your father is blessed you have both you and your mom. ((Junie))

• Like 6

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!~D

Tuesday!!!!!

School!!! 

DD1 works in the nursery this morning and has another church thing this afternoon. She loves it, but I am the taxi. At least church is 5 minutes away.

I’m getting my hair cut and painted this afternoon.

((Junie)) Don’t worry about being a downer. We’re here for you!!! We’re praying for your family!!

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

So, some things to know about Shostakovich's Symphony No. 5:  It is probably the most sarcastic symphonic work ever composed.  He despised Stalin and his regime, and the joke was on them as they cheered wildly for it.  Blaring, annoying military marches, awkward dancing with a forced smile, and a death march coinciding with a triumphant ending.  All the while, some stunningly beautiful moments catch you by surprise.  He intended it to be emotionally and physically exhausting for the musicians and audience.  I love it. 

This is awesome!!! I never knew all that about Shostakovich. I just knew I didn’t like his work because it was annoying. But if he was doing all that to annoy Stalin, and make a fool out of him, well then... he’s the man!!

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

So, some things to know about Shostakovich's Symphony No. 5:  It is probably the most sarcastic symphonic work ever composed.  He despised Stalin and his regime, and the joke was on them as they cheered wildly for it.  Blaring, annoying military marches, awkward dancing with a forced smile, and a death march coinciding with a triumphant ending.  All the while, some stunningly beautiful moments catch you by surprise.  He intended it to be emotionally and physically exhausting for the musicians and audience.  I love it. 

I need more of this. We are studying Russian cultural history (aka, "elective lite") and this is sososososo Russian.

• Like 3

Good morning. I am glad that my doctor’s appointment was moved to next week. 

Junie- getting ready for my dad’s death involved some pre-grieving. I am at that place with my mom. It actually helped me in some ways to work through things before hand. Still very  hard but I know where my dad is spending eternity and some day we will join him. 

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Good morning. I am glad that my doctor’s appointment was moved to next week. 

Junie- getting ready for my dad’s death involved some pre-grieving. I am at that place with my mom. It actually helped me in some ways to work through things before hand. Still very  hard but I know where my dad is spending eternity and some day we will join him. 

Yes, I have the same peace about my dad.

• Like 5

Lunch today - sweet potatoes baked with peaches and pineapple and onion bread with butter.  I wish I had some carrot salad. :smile:

We're having avocado toast with sliced tomatoes and bacon and mixed greens salad for dinner.  I should make some salad dressing.  And taco spice mix.  I'll need that tomorrow.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Susan in TN said:

Lunch today - sweet potatoes baked with peaches and pineapple and onion bread with butter.  I wish I had some carrot salad. :smile:

We're having avocado toast with sliced tomatoes and bacon and mixed greens salad for dinner.  I should make some salad dressing.  And taco spice mix.  I'll need that tomorrow.

You know that I have some! 

• Thanks 1

I figured one thing out in chemistry. Go me!  Then immediately dd asked me another question where I was humbled and had to say “I don’t know”. I hate it when I don’t know things because that means that I am not providing a good education in that subject. I know that overall I am providing a good education but I wish that I was stronger in the maths and sciences. (Dd could ask dh who is very strong in the maths and sciences but she chooses not to.). 

• Like 3

Dd10 has been in tears for the last hour because she fell asleep during story time and then couldn't think of a second sentence to write for her last chreia paragraph.  I told her to just leave it until later or tomorrow but she's tired and cranky.  

Dd20 had her second interview this morning for an RA position.  Haven't heard from her since.  I think she was getting a little nervous about the work load - being in nursing school AND having an RA job.  She really likes working at the library, so she wouldn't mind returning to that job next year.

Ds14 is getting better at reading out loud without a British accent.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

*waving hello*

Slache messaged me, and I could actually log-in! Between log-in issues and sick kids (norovirus and influenza for the last six weeks being passed around in various combinations between my children), and extended family health issues I haven't been here. I miss you all and hope to be able to pop in more again at some point.  The Ides of March is in just a few days. Have we prepared for our anniversary party???

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

*waving hello*

Slache messaged me, and I could actually log-in! Between log-in issues and sick kids (norovirus and influenza for the last six weeks being passed around in various combinations between my children), and extended family health issues I haven't been here. I miss you all and hope to be able to pop in more again at some point.  The Ides of March is in just a few days. Have we prepared for our anniversary party???

It's at my house because I'm never driving anywhere ever again.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

*waving hello*

How is everyone doing now?  That's a long bout of sickness to deal with!

8 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

How is everyone doing now?  That's a long bout of sickness to deal with!

Youngest tested positive for Influenza A last night. Her heart rate was in the 160s, and urgent care contemplated sending us to the ER, but let us go home overnight.  We alternated ibuprofen and tylenol and got some more Tamiflu and all of the magical things into her and it has come down and is bouncing between 100-120 bpm. 

Older dd had GI complaints through the night. Thankfully she is doing better today.

The boys are fine.

My dad is recovering from surgery nicely.

My SIL is out of ICU.

My elderly relative had her shoulder replaced (new ball and socket) and her arm pinned back together last week after a catastrophic fall. She is at a rehab care facility to get OT and PT and is rather unhappy about it, but I'm not in a position to care for her 24/7 for the next few months. 

I've been coping with Cadbury eggs and Netflix. I had bloodwork today that is probably going to end my love affair with Cadbury, but spring is nearly here so I think I'll survive.  The sun is shining more and I'm walking daily so that helps.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I figured one thing out in chemistry. Go me!  Then immediately dd asked me another question where I was humbled and had to say “I don’t know”. I hate it when I don’t know things because that means that I am not providing a good education in that subject. I know that overall I am providing a good education but I wish that I was stronger in the maths and sciences. (Dd could ask dh who is very strong in the maths and sciences but she chooses not to.). 

2 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

The people at Starbucks here are super nice and offer me baked goods that are unsalable (because a corner broke off etc). Unfortunately I have to say no cuz stupid Celiac/ gluten intolerance. 

In a related note, I really miss Cookies and Cream ice cream. 

Sometimes I feel like you and I are living parallel lives.  Except I want Cookie Dough ice cream.

And I don't speak Japanese.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I  like root beer.

And cookie dough ice cream.   Really any ice cream with stuff in it.  Especially nuts and caramel and chocolatey stuff.

I don't know Japanese.  or any other language except English.  I also don't go to Starbucks but the Dunkin Donuts right near the science center gives handfuls of stuff out for free if you go in later in the afternoon.  I bought a muffin around 1pm on Sunday and got like 10 munchkins thrown in with it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KrissiK said:

JJM.... I’m sending you my kids. Right now. I’m giving them a swift kick all the way to your house. They are driving me INSANE!!!! Give them the JJM Special, including poopaerobics.

YAY! I'll tell the short person that she's FINALLY going to be a big sister! Yayayay!!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Dd8:  Mom, what was that drink we had that one time that was soooo good?  It was like water with ice in it.

Me:  Ice water?

Dd8:  Yeah.  It was soooo good.  

ETA:  It's a my kids are deprived booyah.  When ice water is a treat.  :svengo:

Edited by Junie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

45 minutes ago, Junie said:

Dd8:  Mom, what was that drink we had that one time that was soooo good?  It was like water with ice in it.

Junie has a let them drink water booyah.  😂 

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

39 minutes ago, Junie said:

ETA:  It's a my kids are deprived booyah.  When ice water is a treat.  :svengo:

Well, at least your kids can be specific. I get ,”remember that time you made that stuff.... with the things in it. That chicken (and by chicken they mean any kind of meat) stuff. That was good!”

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1