Menu

Ignore this thread!

2 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I like real authentic Mexican food. And Chinese food. And Japanese food. Though it has to be gluten free which makes it tricky. 

I like authentic Mexican food. I think.  I don’t think i’ve Ever had authentic Chinese or Japanese food.

• Like 3

Good Morning!  I need to start the coffee!  We're skipping Sunday school, but hoping to make it to church. 

I like food.  Please don't ask me if it's authentic or not - I don't know.  One thing I do know - I don't like when a plate of nachos has chili on them.  Bleh.  But I don't go to those kinds of restaurants much (Applebees, Chilis, TGI Fridays), so I'm pretty safe.  

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

I have been hearing the mourning doves again lately.  I love that sound.

I love hearing the mourning doves.  When I was a kid, we used to spend weekends with my grandparents.   Waking up in the morning, I could always hear the coo coo of the mourning doves.  So, hearing them always reminds me of my grandparents.  They are basically the only bird I can identify by sound (except woodpeckers).   My grandparents were HUGE bird watchers.  They had a bunch of feeders outside a big picture window in their dining room.  My dad was/is a big bird watcher too.  We get lots of birds since we are a very wooded acre on a river.  

After a gorgeous Spring-like day yesterday, this morning started with sleet, freezing rain that converted to rain.  Yuck.

I want/need to run by the science center to do some more cleaning and organizing, continue doing laundry, clean our bathroom before my mom comes to dinner.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Another Lynn said:

I like food.  Please don't ask me if it's authentic or not - I don't know.  One thing I do know - I don't like when a plate of nachos has chili on them.  Bleh.  But I don't go to those kinds of restaurants much (Applebees, Chilis, TGI Fridays), so I'm pretty safe.  

Foodie Sisters!

I'm pretty sure Ihave had authentic Russian, Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, and Jamaican food, because I have been to those places and eaten their food.  Otherwise I like all kinds of food, except that which is topped by chili.

Foodie Booyah!  Say that 5 times fast!

This is the thread that never ends,
It just goes on and on my friends.
People started posting not knowing what it was,
And they will keep on posting here forever just because...

This is the thread that never ends
You'd best come join it with your friends
'Cuz it will replace Facebook as the latest web-based craze
And everyone will post here instead for the rest of their days

This is the thread that's always there
They'll cheer you up so don't despair
The group is growing well as more people start checking in
And we'll keep sucking them in because our cheer is addictive

This is the thread that never ends
It's better than a Mercedes Benz
It helps with coffee withdrawal and other troubles, too
Eighteen hundred pages of friends all cheering for you

This thread keeps going on and on
with record-setting length and fun
It started twenty-four months ago from curiosity
and all the fun and frolic has shown this is the place to be

This is the thread that never ends...
And the place where one finds special friends,
the kind that have hearts that are strong and true
Yes, ITT ladies, I am talking to you! 

This is the thread that never ends....

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I hate daylight savings time. It ruins the spring, summer and fall now. Gah. Be nice if I could ever adjust to it, but I never do. 

I'm working on grocery list, getting set for a boy needing some dental work, and then I'm revising the rest of the day. We changed clocks, but I ignored them.

ETA: Susan saved the day! I didn't know what to make for soup that the turtle would eat. Chili it is!

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!~D

Sunday!!!

We are staying home from church today. Combine Daylight Savings Time with allergy throwing up and getting over a bad cold.... I think it’s better that we just stay home.

Maize, California thought about doing away with DSL, but then the powers that be thought it might better to just raise our taxes instead.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

I love listening to mourning doves. I know it is spring when I hear that cooing.

I can recognize three bird calls.... mourning doves, phoebe birds and mocking birds, oh, and owls. That makes four. But owls are obvious. I think it’s actually a tie between owls and mourning doves which I love best.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 4

Good morning!

I'm still in bed.  Was supposed to play for services but slept instead.  When I eventually got to sleep this morning, I dreamed that I was able to get Chik-fil-a to deliver a chicken sandwich and loaded french fries to my dorm room, but I was gone when they arrived and they got all cold and yucky.

Dinner at Critter's! (I like chili, just not put on top of other foods.)

Last summer we had a nest of mourning doves in the curve of our drain pipe.  They really like thistle seed.

Coffee!  In a bucket!

• Like 4

Everyone is still sleeping. I decided to make baked oatmeal for breakfast, so that is baking. I had bizarre dreams last night. Larger than life,  very colorful and busy, with no real discernible storyline. I remember being slightly anxious, but more just annoyed and confused.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 4

These are the four songs we are learning for our last unit of history/story time.

Four Curmudgeonly Canons (The Seasons of a Malcontent) by P.D.Q. Bach

Winter's over, spring has turned to summer;  heat rash, poison ivy and all.  Oh it is really a bummer and I can't wait, can't wait, can't wait 'til fall.  Here's to mosquitos and flies without number; bugs you can hardly see at all; oh it's really, really, really a bummer and I can't wait, can't wait, can't wait 'til fall.  Oh I can't wait 'til fall, no I can't wait, can't wait, can't wait 'til fall.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I love listening to mourning doves. I know it is spring when I hear that cooing.

I can recognize three bird calls.... mourning doves, phoebe birds and mocking birds, oh, and owls. That makes four. But owls are obvious. I think it’s actually a tie between owls and mourning doves which I love best.

I forgot, I can identify screech owls too.   and chickadees.  Okay, so there may be a few others if I really think about it.  

But the mourning doves are the best.

• Like 5

Bah humbug. That’s what I think of time change. 

Yummy. That’s what I think of food. (Most food). I live in a foodie area where it is very easy to find good authentic ethnic food. And I like that. (I don’t like how “Americanized” food is often salt and fat laden without the fresh fruit and vegetables that is in the original versions. ). I hope that I don’t offend anyone by saying that. 

• Like 2

Good morning. I'm pro food, anti daylight savings. We have an owl outside. We love him.

3 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

Staying out of the algebra thread. I have stuff to say, but it probably wouldn't help anyone, and I'd get smacked down.

I would love to hear your thoughts! You could PM me. Or ignore me if you don't want to get into it.

• Like 3

Basically, I do think Algebra is a "requirement" for high school. I can also say that I didn't learn algebra in high school. I didn't learn algebra in the remedial class I took in community college because I aced the placement test at the age of 15, all but for the math. I'm not dumb. I don't have anything that should have kept me from learning math. The only thing that was wrong with me? I probably was suffering through all of 8th, 9th, and 10th with depression. I didn't know I had a gluten issue, and that kicked in full force around the time I turned 12, 13 years of age.  

I learned algebra from my awesome Calculus teacher, who on the very first day, threw an incredibly visual diagram of a circle on a board and basically taught me that math was beautiful, and I could understand it.  For what it's worth, I still didn't know I had a gluten issue then, and I struggled with Calculus, too. But I loved it because I had a teacher who made me love it.

I came back to algebra when I realized I'd have to conquer my hatred of it to teach the boys. I went with Key To, just to give myself a gentle introduction. By the time I got to the end, I loved it, too. 

Who teaches you math, the frame of mind you are in when you are taught, and a curriculum that makes sense to you as a student is so important when it comes to math. It's important for everything, but extra important with math, I think. 

It just aggravates me so much when people say that if you don't "learn" a subject at a specific time in life, you must be doomed or dumb in some way. 😢

ETA: His name was Dr. Guest. Probably one of the people I will remember until the day I die. 

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 7

14 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

Basically, I do think Algebra is a "requirement" for high school. I can also say that I didn't learn algebra in high school. I didn't learn algebra in the remedial class I took in community college because I aced the placement test at the age of 15, all but for the math. I'm not dumb. I don't have anything that should have kept me from learning math. The only thing that was wrong with me? I probably was suffering through all of 8th, 9th, and 10th with depression. I didn't know I had a gluten issue, and that kicked in full force around the time I turned 12, 13 years of age.  

I learned algebra from my awesome Calculus teacher, who on the very first day, threw an incredibly visual diagram of a circle on a board and basically taught me that math was beautiful, and I could understand it.  For what it's worth, I still didn't know I had a gluten issue then, and I struggled with Calculus, too. But I loved it because I had a teacher who made me love it.

I came back to algebra when I realized I'd have to conquer my hatred of it to teach the boys. I went with Key To, just to give myself a gentle introduction. By the time I got to the end, I loved it, too. 

Who teaches you math, the frame of mind you are in when you are taught, and a curriculum that makes sense to you as a student is so important when it comes to math. It's important for everything, but extra important with math, I think. 

It just aggravates me so much when people say that if you don't "learn" a subject at a specific time in life, you must be doomed or dumb in some way. 😢

ETA: His name was Dr. Guest. Probably one of the people I will remember until the day I die. 

Amen, Sister!!! I can’t figure out how to “bold” quotes, but you are so right as to who teaches you math and how it is taught.

• Like 3

Just now, Another Lynn said:

Hear!  Hear!  🍻  Critter's algebra thesis is very sound! 

For what it's worth, I feel the same way about most "difficult" subjects.  And it's all based on a deep feeling that probably the best thing a teacher can do is try to teach in a way that doesn't make the student hate it. 

But it's all my own personal experience, so not exactly "sound"...😄

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

For what it's worth, I feel the same way about most "difficult" subjects.  And it's all based on a deep feeling that probably the best thing a teacher can do is try to teach in a way that doesn't make the student hate it. 

I had a fantastic Algebra 1 teacher and a fantastic Trig and Calc teacher.  My geometry and Alg 2 teachers weren't horrible, but just not as good as the other two.  I agree that it makes such.a.difference.  This is one of the reasons I had my 13yo do Algebra 1 at the local UMS.  I could do algebra with him at home, but I think he's headed towards something math/stem and I wanted him to have the experience of a teacher who I know is fantastic.  In contrast, one of my older ds's is definitely math-minded, but I'm not sure he realizes it because he has lacked that same kind of great teacher to make him appreciate the subject and his own abilities.  It is my primary regret regarding his education.  

ETA:  I'm not saying Moms can't do a great job home schooling upper math at home - I'm just commenting on what happened in my home!  

ETA2:  Ack!  I killed a kitten.  don't look.  I fixed it!  

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 2

I churched and choired.  :)

One of my goals for the year is to learn to identify 10 birdcalls.  So far I have mourning doves, owls, seagulls, geese.  I'm close with cardinals.  I'm hoping to attend a short nature workshop on birding sometime this spring.

I'm also trying to identify and name (title and composer) of 10 pieces of classical music that I didn't previously know.  I recently added Holst's Mars and Jupiter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

No, you are right. Which is why teaching is more of an art than it is a science. But the way schools are now, at least in California, where all teacher have to literally “be on the same page”, teachers cannot teach their strengths. They cannot make learning fun and interesting. I taught science in junior high and I loved it. We didn’t go by the book a whole lot, but we did a lot of hands-on experiments and demonstrations. And the greatest compliment I ever got as a teacher is when one of my most squirreliest boys looked up at the clock one day and said, “wow! Is class over already?”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

My algebra experience was horrible.

9th grade -- Algebra I -- I didn't have a good teacher.  I thought it was because she was very pregnant and distracted/not feeling well, but I recently looked at her RateMyTeacher profile and the reviews were not good.

10th grade -- geometry with a very good, very old school teacher

11th grade -- Algebra II -- In late September my teacher died in a motorcycle accident.  We mourned and had weeks and weeks of substitutes until a permanent teacher was found.  All hope for me finally understanding algebra was lost.

12th grade -- I wanted to not take any more math -- it wasn't required -- but my guidance counselor wouldn't let me take German I because I was already taking two foreign languages (Spanish 4 and French 2).  Instead I ended up in College Algebra and Trigonometry.  It was a disaster.  My teacher took pity on me and passed me because he knew I tried.

College Algebra attempt #1 -- 1st semester at college.  I never did homework because it wasn't "required".  I failed.

College Algebra attempt #2 -- horrible first-time teacher.  Half the class dropped.  I should have.  Half of the rest failed.  Including me.

Basic Algebra attempt #1 -- I backed up a level so that I could gain some confidence.  Wonderful teacher.

College Algebra attempt #3 -- I made sure to get the same professor that I had had for Basic Algebra.  I finally passed!!

My kids learn algebra through a combination of Art Reed's Saxon lessons and dh (who actually teaches algebra part time at a small local college).  I can help a little bit with certain topics, but after Algebra 1/2 my knowledge is sporadic.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Junie said:

I churched and choired.  🙂

One of my goals for the year is to learn to identify 10 birdcalls.  So far I have mourning doves, owls, seagulls, geese.  I'm close with cardinals.  I'm hoping to attend a short nature workshop on birding sometime this spring.

I'm also trying to identify and name (title and composer) of 10 pieces of classical music that I didn't previously know.  I recently added Holst's Mars and Jupiter.

Go, Junie, Go!  That's awesome!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

No, you are right. Which is why teaching is more of an art than it is a science. But the way schools are now, at least in California, where all teacher have to literally “be on the same page”, teachers cannot teach their strengths. They cannot make learning fun and interesting. I taught science in junior high and I loved it. We didn’t go by the book a whole lot, but we did a lot of hands-on experiments and demonstrations. And the greatest compliment I ever got as a teacher is when one of my most squirreliest boys looked up at the clock one day and said, “wow! Is class over already?”

I agree with you. One of my writing buddies is a teacher, and she says exactly the same thing, although she's not teaching in California. She has students that she believes would do well if she could teach them at their level, but she can't do that. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

In my experience in high school, the best classes, where I learned the most, were either the classes where the teacher made the subject matter interesting, or they were relational with all the students. Friendly, taking an interest, not necessarily buddy-buddy, but letting the students know they respected their opinions.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, square_25 said:

Wow, this is quite the thread :D. How did it get this long?? 

I mean, I guess I could read the existing 3379 pages to figure it out, but I'm hoping someone will enlighten me. 😉

Hmmmm, well..... yes, it is quite long. No, you don’t have to read the existing pages.... hmmm. How do we explain ITT (Ignore This Thread)?  It’s just a thread that started out innocently enough three years ago, but for some strange reason took on a life of its own. There’s a basic core group of us who check in every day to chat, joke, etc. Some people come and stay, some don’t. Anyone is welcome to play, but the basic rules are to keep it Light, keep it fun, don’t be easily offended because sometimes we like to tease.... You don’t have to read the whole thing, but to get the basic flavor of the thread.... skim over the last 10-15 pages and you’ll see what we are all about.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, square_25 said:

Wow, this is quite the thread :D. How did it get this long?? 

I mean, I guess I could read the existing 3379 pages to figure it out, but I'm hoping someone will enlighten me. 😉

Only a thread this long can hope to contain the brilliance of these posters. If it is enlightenment you seek, then 3379 pages is a good start.

7 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Hmmmm, well..... yes, it is quite long. No, you don’t have to read the existing pages.... hmmm. How do we explain ITT (Ignore This Thread)?  It’s just a thread that started out innocently enough three years ago, but for some strange reason took on a life of its own. There’s a basic core group of us who check in every day to chat, joke, etc. Some people come and stay, some don’t. Anyone is welcome to play, but the basic rules are to keep it Light, keep it fun, don’t be easily offended because sometimes we like to tease.... You don’t have to read the whole thing, but to get the basic flavor of the thread.... skim over the last 10-15 pages and you’ll see what we are all about.

Yes. Yes, you do. Please ignore this part.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, JoJosMom said:

Only a thread this long can hope to contain the brilliance of these posters. If it is enlightenment you seek, then 3379 pages is a good start.

Open book quiz:

1.  Who has a mind like a steel trap?

2.  What article of clothing is Jean in need of?  (Spelling counts)

3.  How many days since last inappropriate incident?

4.  Please compose a haiku on a topic of your own choosing.

Extra Credit:  Spell the word "booyah".

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Open book quiz:

Seriously?

#noh

How on earth can one hope to educate one's children when one is unable to grasp basic spelling? <<insert little fainty guy here>>

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

I took prealgebra in an esl class because I was considered proficient in Spanish and they got more funding for each esl classes. Those classes were full of brown people who didn't speak a lick of Spanish. It was awful. I did not do well.

I liked Algebra 1. A lot.

My geometry teacher was a chemistry teacher who hated geometry. She had us read from the textbooks and do homework. We all cheated on the final. As in all of us. The ones who understood it helped those who didn't because we all knew it was the teacher's fault.

I challenged algebra 2 and passed. I should not have.

That said I love math and look forward to teaching it right.

• Like 4

Ok,  I will try the quiz...

1. Renai

2. Pantz

3. 0

4. Jeannie for President.   Vote ITT. The only party that makes sense.

Extra Credit: Booya/h

That’s it!!100%. Rocco, get the girl a cold drink with an umbrella in it and a foot massage!!👏👏👏👏👏

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JoJosMom said:

Seriously?

#noh

How on earth can one hope to educate one's children when one is unable to grasp basic spelling? <<insert little fainty guy here>>

Educate?? Educate?? We don’t need no edoocashun!! We just needs to sit and read Harry Bosch novels all day!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

I'm making biscuits and gravy tonight. It's the only thing I can think of that will let me keep editing this novel and get my three chapters done today. I am just beat. 

Nothing wrong with biscuits and gravy. I love biscuits and gravy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JoJosMom said:

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!!,😂😂😂😂😂😂

Well, woman behind the curtain.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Open book quiz:

1. Renai

2. Pantz

3. 0

4. I want a burger

Not spaghetti or pizza

Make me a burger

EC. Don't get snarky with me!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

Educate?? Educate?? We don’t need no edoocashun!! We just needs to sit and read Harry Bosch novels all day!!

What's the "over 400 pages" Bosch novel you read?  I have read 25% of The Mill on the Floss and I'm not sure I can force myself to read any more of it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Susan in TN said:

What's the "over 400 pages" Bosch novel you read?  I have read 25% of The Mill on the Floss and I'm not sure I can force myself to read any more of it.

“The Narrows.” It was good. I’m reading them out of order now, which bugs me. I can’t find them all in order and I don’t want to keep buying them, although I can usually get a pretty good deal on Amazon used books. This one was also a crossover/ sequel from another book (The Poet) in another of Connelly’s series. You didn’t have to read The Poet to understand this book, but I think I will pick it up. 

• Like 1