Menu

Ignore this thread!

3 hours ago, Junie said:

This holiday always sneaks up on me.  Maybe because I don't really celebrate it?  

Where I'm from, though, it's called Fasnact Day.  It is pronounced Fos(t) - not and no one knows how to spell it.  😉

5c7d83cb80b5c.image.jpg?resize=1200,799

Fasnacht.   And you claim to be from PA?  For shame.

😂

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ikslo said:

Fasnacht.   And you claim to be from PA?  For shame.

😂

There's actually a couple of accepted spellings.

Even wikipedia doesn't know how to spell it.  The title of the article spells it fastnacht while the text of the article spells it without the "t".  My journalism prof said that if you're going to be wrong, at least be consistently wrong.  😉

I had a teacher in school named Mrs. Fasnact, but I don't remember how she spelled it.  We generally just called her Mrs. Doughnut behind her back.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Today I'm getting ready to drive up to Ft. Worth and Dallas tomorrow for the Great Homeschool Convention. I will get to visit with a good friend (I"m staying at her house in Hurst/Ft. Worth and driving over to Dallas for the Convention). So laundry today instead of tomorrow, driving north to the feed store to buy bird food, then back south to get nails done, then home. Maybe I'll fix dinner, maybe not. Probably will, which means I will also have to stop at the grocery store. Once I'm home I can put on my jammies and be done with it, so there's that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Junie said:

There's actually a couple of accepted spellings.

Even wikipedia doesn't know how to spell it.  The title of the article spells it fastnacht while the text of the article spells it without the "t".  My journalism prof said that if you're going to be wrong, at least be consistently wrong.  😉

I had a teacher in school named Mrs. Fasnact, but I don't remember how she spelled it.  We generally just called her Mrs. Doughnut behind her back.

Oh, yeah, I’ve seen it that way, too.  But always with the -cht at the end.

• Like 2

I think that my son is having migraines.  1000 miles away.  Now normally I wouldn't fret about a 21 year old but he's my Aspie and when it comes to heath stuff he's very hard to decipher.  For example, he kept saying that his mouth tasted of dried blood.  A "normal" person would say that he had a metallic taste in his mouth.  And he's complaining of "visual artifacts" - which is a digital term, not a health term.  But I'm pretty sure that there is some kind of an aura.  Or maybe floaters?  Nailing him down on descriptions is hard and takes imagination that I'm not sure that they are going to have at the student health center. 

• Sad 5

17 minutes ago, Slache said:

Building a bookshelf for the kid's room and a bed frame for us. Kids are watching The Princess and the Frog. I think everyone is sick.

When I first read this I thought that the kids were watching you and Matt (and that you had called yourselves The Princess and The Frog).

I think I need another nap.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Junie said:

When I first read this I thought that the kids were watching you and Matt (and that you had called yourselves The Princess and The Frog).

I think I need another nap.

Yes. This is exactly what's happening.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Ds23 is teaching dd16 how to format her essay.  I took a nap and then did the glider and watched Endeavor and had coffee.  Next I put together Van Dinner for the kids and we're off to youth orchestra.

Did I tell you I got a parking ticket at the University last night?  For parking in a Visitor's space without a visitor parking permit.  Except that I HAD a visitor parking permit.  3 of them.  In the front windshield where they are supposed to be.  I was inordinately polite when I called this morning and they cancelled the ticket promptly.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

It's a bit stormy out. I made myself a mocha and the girls a hot chocolate. It was pretty good. A little sweet. I can't find a recipe I like that doesn't use milk or sugar. I used stevia/erythritol  and coconut milk. I'm not good at being an experimental cook.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Don’t some of those commercials say you need to call a doctor if “it” is three hours or more?

That's called priapism.   Named after some satyr or something.  How do I know this?  I used to work for a pharmaceutical company on a drug that was being tested for acute ischemic stroke.  It had other indications - as an alternative to heparin when needed for anticoagulation in patients with heparin induced thrombocytopenia, and for priapism.  

Dd and I did her taxes in TurboTax and they really annoyed me by charging $39.99 because she had tuition and loan interest, and then made it sound like having them take the fee out of your refund was part of that, but it was actually an ADDITIONAL $39.99 for them to take their fee out of the refund instead of entering a credit card.   Next year I think we're just going to go to the IRS website to do them.  

Just got home from 4-H.  Only had 4 members in attendance out of 20.    It was okay though, we were able to play with the cockroaches and the turtle at the end of the meeting, which we couldn't have done with 20 people.  

• Like 4

So, y'all know that I was working on a homeschool convention here in Austin in June, right? Yeah. It was canceled by the church where we were having it. Because blahblahblah it doesn't matter because canceled. I've had to tell my workshop presenters thanks but no thanks, and next week I'll have to send refunds to the exhibitors.

::cries big crocodile tears::

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

Good Morning!

Happy Wednesday!

We need to get this day started.  I think that I am going to meet with some resistance.

I am walking even better today.  I was able to stand to make the bed and didn't think about my cane until I saw it propped up next to the computer.  That was some storm system that came through.  I usually only affected by weather to this degree when a hurricane comes roaring up the coast.

• Like 6

Good morning!  A blessed Lent to you.

I'm sorry about the conference, Ellie - that stinks!

Yay for feeling better, Junie!  

Nice rooms, Slache! 

Apparently it has been decided that I will give up sleep for Lent.  

AFSA, Aldi, and maybe the Whole Foods cheese counter.  1st children's choir rehearsal tonight.  

Coffee!

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Ellie said:

So, y'all know that I was working on a homeschool convention here in Austin in June, right? Yeah. It was canceled by the church where we were having it. Because blahblahblah it doesn't matter because canceled. I've had to tell my workshop presenters thanks but no thanks, and next week I'll have to send refunds to the exhibitors.

::cries big crocodile tears::

Scratch them off the list for hosting any more events ever.  That seems really late notice to me given how long a convention takes to set up.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!  A blessed Lent to you.

I'm sorry about the conference, Ellie - that stinks!

Yay for feeling better, Junie!  

Nice rooms, Slache! 

Apparently it has been decided that I will give up sleep for Lent.  

AFSA, Aldi, and maybe the Whole Foods cheese counter.  1st children's choir rehearsal tonight.  

Coffee!

I think you should give up weddings for Lent.  😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

My head is pounding and I'm trying to get some caffeine. Other than that, I have a poem to dismiss!!! Good grief. Not reading that!  (My morning poem popped up while I was typing, and I kind of draw the line at some things.)

Okay, other than that, and the weird poem, I have three chapters to work through and cut words. Better get after it. Also, I get to order math tonight. That's good. I was out.  

ETA: My shoulder is sore, but better. I'm moving it a lot, but not lifting a lot yet. 

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 4

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!!~D

Blessed Lent!!!

I am up early this morning. We have to be at the title company at 8:00 to sign seller’s papers and then I rush home to pick up the kids for Enrichment Academy.

I get my glasses today. Woohoo!! I think I will do some Costco shopping while I am there.

Rain!!

• Like 6

Love that comforter, Slashie. Don’t worry about hanging things on the walls and curtains. We’ve been in our new house 2 months and no curtains (it came with blinds) and I am slowly getting things hung. It takes a while. Don’t put pressure on yourself.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Critterfixer said:

Scratch them off the list for hosting any more events ever.  That seems really late notice to me given how long a convention takes to set up.

Oh, yeah. We confirmed this back in July or August.

In all the years I've been involved in homeschooling conventions and whatnot, I have never, ever heard of this happening.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2