Menu

Ignore this thread!

21 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

Willy_Nilly!

We have four very important days right in a row coming up  - Pi(e) Day on the 14th, The ITT's 3rd Anniversary on the 15th, Lynn's birthday on the 16th, and St. Patrick's Day on the 17th.  Whew.  Thats a LOT of partying!

Dd20 finds out today if she gets a second interview for an RA position next year.

My supplies came in this morning, so I am frantically working on getting things done.  Just two more children's choir song lyrics to write on posterboard, magnetic music notes to finish, and 3 more music theory lessons to write and print out.  We need to send out an email.  I need dh to get a playlist ready.  I wonder if there is a way to get a custom poster made and inexpensively just get one or two copies of it?  It would save me a lot of time hand lettering lyrics.

Last night my quartet friend gave me the list of music the bride wants for the wedding, most of which is not written for string quartet.  Two pieces we can play fine, except they are with a singer and we don't know what key she can sing them in.  Kinda important.  Also the recessional is a pop song and I'm supposed to "see what I can do with it" i.e. listen to it on YouTube and arrange it.  Oy.  I don't know that it's  workable for string quartet.  We'll see.  Two pieces she hasn't chosen yet.  The wedding is a week from tomorrow.  willy. nilly.

More Coffee!

She needs to be told that June is a wonderful month for a wedding.  Or October!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

That’s a testament to happy kids who just had a good vacation and a good move. 

It's annoying. And I've realized that it's all my fault. This year we started a singing course. I wanted them to know how to sing well. I don't remember why I wanted that...

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Slache said:

It's annoying. And I've realized that it's all my fault. This year we started a singing course. I wanted them to know how to sing well. I don't remember why I wanted that...

Because they will sing regardless of whether they sing well or not.  Better that they can sing well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Hello, everybody. We are being productive. Just got in a little disagreement with DD about timing, in which she reasoned that Lunch Break began when she put the tater tots in the oven, and I explained that actually she had been on break already for 10 minutes at that point. The back-and-forth went on for longer than it needed to. 

Does fish oil make anybody else's tummy upset? I am trying to figure out some Cycle Issues and I read that fish oil is good for that, but since I've been taking it, I've been burping a lot. I don't usually burp.

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, egao_gakari said:

Hello, everybody. We are being productive. Just got in a little disagreement with DD about timing, in which she reasoned that Lunch Break began when she put the tater tots in the oven, and I explained that actually she had been on break already for 10 minutes at that point. The back-and-forth went on for longer than it needed to. 

Does fish oil make anybody else's tummy upset? I am trying to figure out some Cycle Issues and I read that fish oil is good for that, but since I've been taking it, I've been burping a lot. I don't usually burp.

Yes, fish oil can cause burping. 

Frustration Po:  DD’s whiplash treatment takes a full hour. Plus getting there.  Due to her schedule, we can’t schedule it after school so school gets impacted. I am desperately wanting to get through school this year. We have had four years plus of struggles with school due to her health and thought we were finally making progress. Then she hurt herself. Anyway- this is just frustration talking. It’s no one’s fault. 

Having said that, I just explained that today we are going to actually finish all subjects because she has no afternoon commitments. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

They cancelled our snow for Sunday (again).  It's so cold and rainy out - seems we should have something to show for it.

The kids played very well at the Old Lady Party this afternoon.  Better than I expected, really.  They took my advice (what!?!?) and slowed down the tempos just a little.  Their music leaned more classical than usual, but it was well received.  The activities director was grumpy as usual, but she actually smiled and said "thank you" as we were leaving.

I got all the song lyrics written on the poster board.  Still need to write an email for children's choir, but I at least finished the magnetic white-board music lesson things and have a couple worksheets to get us started. I made parts for Be Thou My Vision in 3 different keys in hopes that the soloist can sing in one of them, and have 3/4 of Good Day For Marrying You done.  

We went to the library and I got history/literature books for the rest of the school year and the kids got 4 Naruto books.

Dd12 and dh are going hiking with the Scouts tomorrow.  I think I will be able to finish up most of my work.  The house is very messy, but I am ignoring it for the time being.

• Like 4

Dh and I went to the new Japanese restaurant in town. I was able to have salmon with a side of gluten free soy sauce. I couldn’t risk the miso soup or the miso salad dressing though so that sucked. I was worried about the green tea because I could smell roasted grain in it but they assured me that it was roasted rice. I really miss being able to order anything off the menu. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

This is a super awesome fun song.  I would totally have it played at my wedding.  But I would NOT expect a string quartet to play it.  :laugh:

How on earth could a string quartet play this????

And it's a string quartet booya!

Edited by Ellie
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

That's what I was thinking!

Back in the 70s, a friend used to sing for weddings, and one of the brides wanted her to sing "Ben." Do any of y'all remember that movie? It was about a rat. Named Ben. It's a pretty song, but it's a guy singing about his rat named Ben.

My friend refused to do it.

• Haha 2

Good Saturday Morning!  Coffee is almost ready.  Cat woke me up in dire need this morning as her food bowl was empty.  

Jean, how are you feeling without the bone broth?  

Paradox, I'm not up on brands and such, but if I were shopping washer/dryers I would do anything to avoid a front loader.  The last time we bought (can't remember how many years ago) we ended up with a top loader without an agitator (I'm not sure they even still sold any with agitators).  Imho, the fewer bells and whistles the better.  <sigh>  I miss adding my detergent to the water as it filled and then putting my clothes in afterwards.  Ours requires detergent first, then clothes, then the water starts after the lid locks.  Who knew the 80s/90s would be the Golden Age of washers and dryers.      

• Like 4

Good Morning!

Happy Saturday!

I spent a couple of hours shopping at the mall last night while dd16 was working.  I bought 2 dresses (1 for Easter) and a skirt.  I knew that I would not be able to walk around the mall for dd16's entire shift, so I took a big, fat book to read while I was waiting for her.

I woke up this morning with a lazy ankle and a popping shoulder and predicted rain in the next 48 hours.  I checked weather channel and confirmed my prediction.

I should have been a meteorologist.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Ellie said:

How on earth could a string quartet play this????

And it's a string quartet booya!

7 hours ago, KrissiK said:

That's what I was thinking!

Start out with the cellist clapping and violin 1 playing the tune.  Then add violin 2 and viola on the harmony.  Then have the viola take over the clapping while the cello picks uo the the bass line.  Violin 2 continues on background stuff and harmony while violin 1 sticks to the main tune.  It won't be fabulous, but it will have the basics.  There's a possible alternative song that I will look into, because this one would take us a good bit of unavailable practice time together because...

7 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I could see this as a Bluegrass quartet. 

...we are definitely not qualified to play bluegrass. :laugh:

The quartet leader is getting all communication through the wedding DJ, and I am thinking the DJ should just play it.  Problem solved. 🏆

• Like 6

Good morning!

How are the Slacheys?  

Dd20 has a 2nd interview for an RA position!  🎉  

Why is it that we have to practically drag the kids out of bed at 7am during the week, but on Saturdays I hear them running upstairs to the bonus room before 6:30?  

Coffee!

• Like 6

::eats all the things::

Today's agenda: Grocery shopping, unpacking, Mardi Gras parade. Svengo. We were supposed to hit the reptile expo today but we're doing that tomorrow because I want all the hardcore clinking and clanging out of the way before we have a new baby in there.

Slacheys are good. We have not been waking the kids and our schedule is drunk. Everyone is very tired. 

• Like 6