Menu

Ignore this thread!

Dh washed the dishes this morning.  I no longer feel guilty when he does the dishes.   I'm tired too.

Haven't heard any update about my dad's surgery but I know stepmom isn't a morning person so I don't want to try and call again until later.

Taxes tonight and we'll find out how screwed we are (dh UPPED our deductions last year <<svengo>>)

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Good Morning!

Happy Wednesday!

I had a really good chat with my mom last night.  She finally said the word "if".  "If your dad comes home from the hospital..."  He is apparently back in ICU.  They're trying to clear out his lung again.  He's very weak and has lost a lot of weight.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

Morning. Editing. I need caffeine and a nap, but those two equations don't balance. So caffeine.  

I have mixed emotions today, too. My story is almost done. Again. I couldn't cut as much as I wanted to cut. That's because I have so many threads in the plot. They are woven together really well. Cut one, you cut the fabric. I seriously think if my agent or anyone else tells me "you can cut a subplot" I am going to run out the door screaming. Or tells me "cut prepositional phrases and adjectives" like I just use those with no reason. Or "kill your darlings". The darned darlings (and the subplots) died back when the draft was 196,000 words long. Or "cut it into two books". That's going to get me throwing things. 

Okay. I feel better. Now off to tackle this final chapter, see if there's anything else I can do with the six longest chapters and call it good. It's a big book and I cannot lie, and all that.😄

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Junie said:

Good Morning!

Happy Wednesday!

I had a really good chat with my mom last night.  She finally said the word "if".  "If your dad comes home from the hospital..."  He is apparently back in ICU.  They're trying to clear out his lung again.  He's very weak and has lost a lot of weight.

I'm sorry, Junie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dd11 got her new bifocals earlier this week and seems to be adjusting fairly well. 

She put the glasses on and they gave her a card to read.  She was able to read the smallest font on the page, which was maybe an 8 pt. font.  I was amazed!  This is my girl who without glasses can only read the top E on the eye chart.

• Like 4

I bought supplies for Pi Day.  Ingredients for breakfast quiche-pie, chicken pot pies for lunch, snack pies for snacks, and pizza pie for dinner.  I don't have a regular pie.  Maybe I can make a pumpkin pie.  I think I have the ingredients for that.  

Oh wait!  I bought buttermilk!  I can make Critter's Famous Buttermilk Pie!

Pie crust of choice, pre-baked. Allow to cool slightly while making the filling. 
Oven to 350.
8 tbsp butter, melted (very soft at the very least)
1 and 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
3 tbsp all-purpose flour (My GF mix worked just fine)
1 and 1/2 cups buttermilk
dash nutmeg (or a little more--I like nutmeg)
1 tsp vanilla extract
Mix butter and sugar. Add eggs and the flour, stir well. Stir in buttermilk, nutmeg and vanilla. I mixed all of that in a quart mixing cup. Pour into the pie shell. Bake at 350F for 45 min. Allow to cool for about two hours. That was as long as I could wait, and it set up fine. I had a little extra filling because I've got a shallow pie plate, but the equal parts of buttermilk and sugar made it sweet without being cloying. You could probably get by with less butter, too. But it sure makes the pie very rich so a small piece is very satisfying. 

• Like 2

Dad came through surgery okay but no updates yet today.  Stepmom says they want to send him home today.  He's 81 years old and just had heart surgery and his legs still can't support him.  I don't see how he can go home.

I just suddenly got dizzy during a class.  I was able to sit down, get some water and that helped.  Now I'm eating.  I think it may have been a hot flash dizziness because I feel really warm, but I'm not sure.  I get occasional allergy dizziness so I took a benedryl to see if that helps.    One more class plus a two hour workshop still to go then taxes.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

5 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

You can make a crustless salmon pie!  Stick salmon in a pie plate.  Bake.  Eat.  Easy Peasy! 

I have too many things on my (nonpie) plate.  A lot of it money things.  And a lot of it camp business things where I am finding out that everything in the past was done with spit and a handshake.  But people have hurt feelings that have never been addressed and now I'm supposed to fix all of it.   Ugh.  They stress me out and make me even grumpier than normal. 

• Sad 3

15 minutes of cleaning was a huge success today! (Set a timer, everyone in the house cleans.)

trash emptied

first floor swept

living room rug vacuumed

stairs vacuumed

kitchen counters cleaned

kitchen trash cans cleaned

bathroom (sort-of) cleaned

a little bit of dusting

all of the towels folded and put away

chocolate consumed

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Girls are at piano lessons. I bought some sweet little planties at Lowe's this morning, and I planted them in one of the flower boxes in my yard. There are many flower boxes scattered here and there. The are concrete and seem to be permanently attached to the ground. This one is in a sunny location so it got a lovely red geranium, some lobelia and some dusty miller and this thing with white flowers that is supposed to drape over the edge. It is all very pretty. Or will be more so when it grows.

• Like 5

Just got back from taxes and we lucked out.   Where we go is near a homemade ice cream stand that makes my favorite flavor ever - double dark chocolate fudge crunch.  Cake crunchies, chocolate fudge, dark chocolate.  Just yummy.  So I went and bought a quart to celebrate.

Looks like dad is going into rehab after the hospital so not directly home.  That makes much more sense.

• Like 6

In the last week, I've had 4 new people sign up for my tutoring business--including one who registered for 90-minute classes. I... think I gotta hide my profile for a while until lose a few folks. Feeling [willy_nilly.emoji] at the moment. I was already feeling like I might be at capacity. I never actually imagined that the business would get so successful that I'd look at my work schedule for the upcoming week and get totally overwhelmed at the thought of it 😬

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1