Menu

Ignore this thread!

We’d be more likes to be able to tell you if we think the actual song is a “standardâ€. But even that depends on genre. Standard children’s song? Standard hymn? Standard folk song? Standard rock song?

Oh, it was mostly for fun, just take a stab at most recognized songs/melodies globally. I wasn't expecting a real answer. 

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 1

It probably would've helped if I'd remembered sooner that Twinkle is the ABC song. He can sing the ABC song. Oh well. He now can sing Twinkle as well. And play it on the violin (actually, he's been playing that for a 2-3 months now... he's currently working on arpeggios and allegedly You Are My Sunshine will be the next song).

• Like 2

I've seen people sometimes include 9yos, but 8? That seems a bit extreme. Especially for something like a book club... most of the tween stuff I've seen around here are less academic, so age matters less.

As a side note, if you say 3rd grade and up, you'll probably end up with even younger kids. For one, Broccoli will be 7.75yo when he starts 3rd grade because we have a late cut-off (Dec 1st), and he was born in mid/late November (I get that your cut-off may be earlier, but if, say, we were to move to a state with a different cut-off, I wouldn't change his grade). But even aside from that, some people will have grade-skipped kids, either because they were in school and the school skipped them before they decided to homeschool, or because the parents just decided to skip them even though there isn't much of a point in homeschool. In other words, if you say 3rd grade and up, you might have one or more kids under 8.

And while I think Broccoli is quite competent (he certainly can read stuff well above grade level), I don't think a book club with 12yos is something that would be a great fit. Though when I look at stuff like that, and it says tweens/3rd grade and up, I wouldn't be inclined to sign up a 12yo, out of fear that it'd just be skewing too young. 12yos are 7th graders... they don't need to be in a club that reads and discusses 3rd grade books (which by necessity it'd have to be, since you can't really get a kid who reads at a 3rd grade level to read 7th grade materials). So, yeah... all that is to say that for a tween book club, I'd definitely make it 5th grade and up, no lower. There's such a big difference between 3rd and 5th grade level books anyway.

Our state has a "you had better be top 1% in everything" HARD September cutoff so my daughter was 9 for most of third. I would go by age only bot grade because grade, urgh. It invites endless debate and striving.

Silly question: what do you think the top-3 most recognized songs are worldwide?

Happy Birthday

Hey Jude

Suzuki May Song?

Are we going by # of people (heavily weighted by India and China) or # of cultures, as in if you chose a random country first then you choose a random person in it, i.e. hierarchical sampling.

Methodology matters!

• Like 1

My girls were asked to sing Twinkle at a choir audition last year.  

They had no idea what it was. 

Turns out I'd taught them the ABCs to that tune, a lullaby about ducklings to that tune, at least two science songs to that tune, and a history sentence as well. 

Forgot to teach them the original.    :blink:

• Like 5

Maybe you already know, but I would ask about how the teacher writes instructions for what / how to practice, is he/she consistent every week in instructions and expectations, is the teacher both goal oriented with a standard of excellence as well as encouraging and helpful when a student hasn't met the expectation, is the teacher both creative and organized, does the teacher participate in community musical events and organizations (competitions, youth orchestra, etc).

But YAY! for a positive recommendation!!!

I had something like this written down, but you have covered all the points more precisely! :)

• Like 1

I am delighted to announce that I followed the rules, did not die, and arrived safely in Moscow. It wasn't as bad as I had feared. Seriously, winter driving would not be bad if people would just pay attention to road conditions. We passed two crashes where it looked like people couldn't be bothered to slow down for slush on the roadway. ☹

Let me know when you want to visit New College Franklin, and I'll pick you up at the airport if you fly and you can stay at my house and I'll show you around. 😎

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 4

Yay for not dying! It’s like Mother Nature was procrastinating and decided she needs to hurry up and dump all the snow before winter ends.

Mother Nature doesn't have those kinds of rules in NM.  She dumps snow whenever she feels like it. I still remember Mother's Day snow one year (or two).

This is how it is in NM:

28167059_1423737417738117_60588027814566

• Like 8

Argh! I'm out of likes.

Are we going by # of people (heavily weighted by India and China) or # of cultures, as in if you chose a random country first then you choose a random person in it, i.e. hierarchical sampling.

Methodology matters!

I have no idea what we're going by.  :lol:

I think that You are My Sunshine is a well known folk song. I also think that it is a super easy song to learn to sing so it didn’t matter if he didn’t know it.

I agree with that. Unfortunately, he's decided to hate every single version I've played for him on YouTube.

• Like 4

We went to a concert at church tonight. Our 70 year old Baldwin Concert Grand Piano is going to the Spa for Pianos for a few months, so we heard a farewell concert from some of our church's musicians. It was so good.  Such a lovely variety of music - from Brahms to the blues to hymns to organ/piano duets.  It was a wonderful evening!

And this is a musical Booya/h tooya/h!!!

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 6

According to a particular thread, I think I'm a neglectful homeschooling mom.

I have a high schooler, and maybe some people would think I make up grades because I don't make her write everything down. She tells me stuff, and I base grades off of it. Remember the whole Ancient Lit/cultural study she did last year? She read stacks of books and told me about them. I didn't know any of that stuff, so as far as I know she could of lied. But I doubt it. So I gave her an A. The Kitchen Chemistry course? Well, she did write some things, but it was easier on me if I could just ask her the questions and she answer me. She could have lied - I didn't read the book - but I know a little something about cooking, although she knows a bit more about the chemistry, so I gave her an A.

My kid can't get past algebra 1. And she's a senior. Call CPS on me right now.

I will be okay with it if she finally completes a certificate at the cc. I will be shouting from the roofs and proud if she gets an Associates (terminal, vocational). But she'll have to want that.

I will be happy for her for that, for the effort she puts into it, regardless if some people think it is the "bare minimum," or "not to her potential." Her potential of being a decent human being and making something of herself in this world and as a good citizen, means a lot more to me than some pie-in-the-sky definition of what "isn't" educational neglect. 

And don't get me started about what I do or don't do with my 1st grader.

• Like 12

I mean, I was going to. There was one post (Tsuga, I think? it's okay, I still love ya) about learning via Minecraft. I was going to post the whole page of Outlook classes that uses Minecraft as the base - literature, coding, math, etc. I decided to forget the tab was open, and stay away.

• Like 3

I think what people don’t realize (who haven’t taught professionally like you and I, Renai) is that brick and mortar schools would do more hands on learning if they had smaller class sizes. I taught at a very well regarded private school for gifted. They get very big bucks for thinking outside the box. And honestly, you wouldn’t need to be gifted to benefit from the kind of things we did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 7

I think what people don’t realize (who haven’t taught professionally like you and I, Renai) is that brick and mortar schools would do more hands on learning if they had smaller class sizes. I taught at a very well regarded private school for gifted. They get very big bucks for thinking outside the box. And honestly, you wouldn’t need to be gifted to benefit from the kind of things we did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jean, it's one of the reasons I stayed in PreK. Although it was a state program, they promoted play-based learning. I would have other teachers walk in, and come out saying our program didn't matter because all the kids did was play all day. They (or parents) had NO IDEA how much thought went into every center I set up. We had so much paperwork to justify everything we did. But, all the kids did was play for 3.5 hours, 4 days a week. Okay. And your point? Lol!

A group of us teachers went to a hands-on workshop. I was so glad it was the upper level teachers (grades 5-6). We were doing gravity and balance activities with tinker toys and wine bottles and kinds of things. I took pictures of how engaged these teachers were. One 6th grade STEM teacher was sharing all his complex knowledge of what we were learning. I quipped, "But, all you're doing is playing all day." Yeah, it was THOSE teachers. They were like, "Touche!" And they said the same thing Jean said - if they had the time with, smaller classes - and less testing - they would do that type of learning all the time. They loved it, and recognized how much more students would derive from that type of learning. But, they felt they couldn't do it. And this was a charter known for doing things a different way!

Oh, and those pictures? (I had one in which the teacher was so engaged she was biting her tongue with it hanging partway out of her mouth.) I printed them out and hung it up on their classroom doors so their students could see them!

• Like 8