Menu

Ignore this thread!

I have seen true educational neglect in homeschool and bringing it up caused a massive hive meltdown so I just don't. I still haven't read the thread. I'm sure it would irritate me.

Clown will eat me.

I'm sure there is true neglect out there. And yes, the thread would irritate you. One poster was blasting a family because, among other things she listed, the family wasn't planning on going past Algebra 2 in high school.  :svengo:  Really? That is part of your definition of educational neglect??? Sounds like a first world problem. From a privileged neighborhood. 

Just skip the thread. People's privilege is showing. And close-mindedness about what learning can be.  And they'll probably jump on your case because your oldest is 7 and you don't know enough yet because you haven't seen anything. Because none of us are still learning. All the rest of us have learned everything there is to know. Especially them. I hope they have a Gymnast 11 years after their last child...

Ok, I'm done.

Maybe.

• Like 9

I'm up because I awoke for a 5:30 class, the camera decided not to work, I had to restart the computer and by the time I got back, there was no student and I got a Teacher IT problem and class was cancelled with no pay. :( 

I'm going back to bed.

Maybe.

• Like 2

Oh, and Critter, you really should contact me to have my daughter do your social media stuff.

I have to get an internet that works faster than dial-up first. I swear, no agent is going to believe me when I tell them I'd have to do all the updates, posts and videos sitting on my chimney to get enough cell signal for internet access.

#ruralworldproblems

• Like 3

I'm sure there is true neglect out there. And yes, the thread would irritate you. One poster was blasting a family because, among other things she listed, the family wasn't planning on going past Algebra 2 in high school.  :svengo:  Really? That is part of your definition of educational neglect??? Sounds like a first world problem. From a privileged neighborhood. 

Just skip the thread. People's privilege is showing. And close-mindedness about what learning can be.  And they'll probably jump on your case because your oldest is 7 and you don't know enough yet because you haven't seen anything. Because none of us are still learning. All the rest of us have learned everything there is to know. Especially them. I hope they have a Gymnast 11 years after their last child...

Ok, I'm done.

Maybe.

Have you seen that TED talk about how kids shouldn't take algebra? Interesting stuff. The thoughts are essentially that the teen mind cannot grasp algebraic and geometric concepts the way an adult's mind can and that as adults we don't know enough about what we should know because we spent so much time on algebra. Debt, credit, mortgage, taxes or even balancing a checkbook are skills we are leaving home without but by golly we can find the length of hypotenuse so we'll be okay. He feels that we should spend our high school years on the math we'll encounter on a daily basis because we can take all 4 years of HS math in college in half the time should we decide to pursue a degree which requires it.

• Like 3

Good morning, BTW. I actually slept well last night. There was that dream where I woke up to four rejections in my inbox and one of them from a highly respected agent said, "Never in this lifetime." I was scratching my head about that, then realized a) I hadn't sent that agent a query yet because it isn't March yet, and 2) that was our French saying for last week's lesson that I muffed on the quiz.

So I went outside, got on my white horse and rode off into the sunset to do great things. :laugh:

I blame the strawberries. It's been a while since I had strawberries and we had them with supper last night.

• Like 9

Have you seen that TED talk about how kids shouldn't take algebra? Interesting stuff. The thoughts are essentially that the teen mind cannot grasp algebraic and geometric concepts the way an adult's mind can and that as adults we don't know enough about what we should know because we spent so much time on algebra. Debt, credit, mortgage, taxes or even balancing a checkbook are skills we are leaving home without but by golly we can find the length of hypotenuse so we'll be okay. He feels that we should spend our high school years on the math we'll encounter on a daily basis because we can take all 4 years of HS math in college in half the time should we decide to pursue a degree which requires it.

I didn't grasp algebra well, but I got it enough to enjoy Calculus in college. But DH and I have discussed whether or not to have the boys do Algebra next year (9th) or continue to go through CLE 800 series (they will finish 700 Level in about a month). We both decided that 800 was the way to go. I'm going to have them start Key to Algebra alongside at a slow pace, but I think they will be better served by spending more time with some everyday application of math before charging ahead with higher math.

But I think that many teens can and do grasp algebraic and geometric concepts, and some of them do it before they are teens. The brain is a funny thing, and I don't think there is a one-size-fits-all approach. I also think that you could argue that there is no need to pursue any foreign language in high-school because the return on the time invested is so low for kids who won't use their foreign language daily (or at all). But I think there is value in the study of other languages--not just in being able to speak that language or use it regularly. So there you are.

I think it mostly comes down to providing the best you can for your kids, and understanding that they are people with their own ideas, their own hopes, dreams, fears and hang-ups. And you accept that as an adult you have all those things, too, and they will color your plans, your expectations and so forth, so you'd better plan on getting schooled from time to time. :laugh:

• Like 8

I didn't grasp algebra well, but I got it enough to enjoy Calculus in college. But DH and I have discussed whether or not to have the boys do Algebra next year (9th) or continue to go through CLE 800 series (they will finish 700 Level in about a month). We both decided that 800 was the way to go. I'm going to have them start Key to Algebra alongside at a slow pace, but I think they will be better served by spending more time with some everyday application of math before charging ahead with higher math.

But I think that many teens can and do grasp algebraic and geometric concepts, and some of them do it before they are teens. The brain is a funny thing, and I don't think there is a one-size-fits-all approach. I also think that you could argue that there is no need to pursue any foreign language in high-school because the return on the time invested is so low for kids who won't use their foreign language daily (or at all). But I think there is value in the study of other languages--not just in being able to speak that language or use it regularly. So there you are.

I think it mostly comes down to providing the best you can for your kids, and understanding that they are people with their own ideas, their own hopes, dreams, fears and hang-ups. And you accept that as an adult you have all those things, too, and they will color your plans, your expectations and so forth, so you'd better plan on getting schooled from time to time. :laugh:

Oh, totally. And the high school language thing is crap. When I'm in charge of the world language will look much different in schools.

Eta: The current high school foreign language layout is crap. Not your comment.

#fivehoursofsleep

Edited by Slache
  • Like 4

The only family I saw who I feared true educational neglect, I just feared plain overall neglect. If someone is trying and failing, that's not neglect, IMO. It's failure, but I've had my own failures and kids fail in public and private schools all the time. At least with homeschool, if your educational plan is failing, it's easier to change plans. Sometimes I've seen kids educated differently than what I'd do, and the family goals or family priorities don't match mine, but that's not neglect either.

The kids I felt were neglected I suspected mainly because of how the baby was treated:a baby who was filthy and left to his own devices outside on a farm with a water slide set up. The kid couldn't even walk or toddle- he was a crawler. I ended up watching the baby myself because duh, baby. I didn't call CPS and regret it but I didn't know their full name or address. The older kids (8-12ish) said that they never did school and could do what they wanted all day, but I wouldn't have assumed neglect based on that alone. Kids aren't always the most reliable reporters and a good unschooler would make their children feel as if they were playing all day most of the time. 

Edited by Paige
  • Like 6

I'm probably neglectful because I don't provide a lot of computer related education for the boys. It's just really not something we're set up to do where I live. The infrastructure isn't there. We are working on it, but it's going to be a while, and there's no guarantee we'll get what we need to boost the signal anytime soon. C'est la vie. It's going to be dusty old books and an ancient laptop and a more ancient desktop until further notice, and internet research has to be be done slowly, and books trump that for speed.

• Like 4

Today:

Dojo open house

MIL birthday celebration with BIL & family

sneaking in a walk if I can (maybe see if DD16 wants to stroll along)

call BFF

DD13 wants to sleep over tonight to have more time with cousins

eat more fresh veggies

Last night MIL made King Ranch casserole again (had made it last weekend).  It's tasty enough, but it always gives me gas.  I loaded up my plate with romaine leaves, grapes, and tomatoes and only took a little casserole and corn chips.  Romaine works nicely as a wrap for bites of the casserole.  It looked like I ate a lot more than I did so MIL was pleased, I didn't get gas as bad as usual, and I got a lot of fresh veggies.

Right now fresh veggies are my bestest food friend.

Sorry I was away all weekend.  I didn't last -- I crashed at MIL's house Saturday afternoon, napping in a room while everyone else visited.  We then left earlier in the evening than usual, and I did not return Sunday (DH and the girls went back over for the morning.).  Sunday morning I puttered about a little trying to tidy up my desk area a bit, tried to nap (had been awake since 2 AM), watched TV, ate a little lunch.  When DH and the girls got home DH and I headed over to my Dad's place.  We took Dad out looking at lift recliners, took him home, and then returned to one store to purchase and arrange delivery of the one Dad liked best.  It will be delivered March 10, a date specifically chosen by me so I can be available.  I'm still tired but not quite as much (got enough sleep last night and my dreams weren't of Dad's place back in Colorado).

I saw on the morning news that flooding and tornadoes are hitting many areas.   :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  to everyone impacted, and I hope none of our ITTers are.

Today we hold longer class time, and then DD13 and I visit with a 9th grade counselor.

Right now I am deliberately ignoring the cat, who wants fresh food in her dish.  I am eating my own breakfast first because I am a crabby pants and hungry, and I want to catch up here a little before facing the day.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  to everyone.  Don't worry about me -- I did get some rest and will get more this week.  There are still lots of things demanding time and attention, but I can find gaps now for a bit of down time here and there, and this next weekend we get to grab more.

Now, to find out what you all have been up to over the weekend.... *relieved sigh for at least getting this part of normal back*

• Like 5

I have to go do things. I need to get my blood taken, reward myself for getting my blood taken, go to the post office, make a meal plan, groom Doggy (myself), finish making a cake, exercise, and clear out the flower beds. 

Don't wanna. All I want to do is reward myself for getting my blood taken nicely and skip the actual blood taking part. There's one lady who does it very well and one lady who makes me cringe- but you never know who'll be working! 

• Like 4

Theoretically. For some kids. For others, they love to do all the things -oh, wait! Look! Shiny new idea! Must try! Which is totally normal for a teenager. Seriously, when did we ever get the idea that teenagers are supposed to know their calling? Or even figure it out? Yes, some do. But it's also totally normal to not have a clue. At all. Life is a journey; we're supposed to keep learning and growing along the way. The whole way. And teenagers normally may swing wildly back and forth and sideways about who they are, want they want, and where they fit into the world. Sheesh.

Can you tell that this has been bugging me lately?

Oh, and I've listened to much of SWB's talk and I like it. My rant is not really about what she says, but about how we (collective, societal we, not we we. Or wee wee. Snort.) transform what she is saying generally into specific objectives.

On Saturday SIL did remind me that the public schools here now require their high-schoolers select an "endorsement", basically a focus of study for their high school years.  DD13 will likely select the STEM endorsement, since she seems a bit more math- and science-oriented.  

• Like 2

I slept in until 9. Then I let the dogs out and fixed the boys breakfast. Now I have coffee.

I have nothing planned for today. Sure, there's stuff on the neverending to do list, but I am only going to do things if I feel like it.

Captain Mal seems fine this morning. It's almost as if he never got sick at all.

I'm so glad he got better!

• Like 1

Ed-Po

I plan to think about summer school and the subsequent fall quarter today. The boys have been after me to do the big reveal on summer school plans so they can whine properly. But y'all get to see it first when I've got it all written up.

That couldn't happen!

In my imagination, everyone else's children love school and never whine. They love all the fantastic, creative projects and plans the other parents come up with, and produce beautiful papers by the time they are 7, are math prodigies, read and enjoy reading wonderful literature, and speak 16 languages. The kids are also perfectly polite, keep their rooms clean, cook gourmet dinners for the family, get along together and never fight or sass. Mom is active in the community and has tons of meaningful, enjoyable projects going on for her own enrichment, and everyone's kids are going to Ivies on full scholarships. 

• Like 7

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸ðŸ’•ðŸ’•ðŸ’•ðŸ’•ðŸ’•

Monday!!!😩😩👎

I’m headed to the Big City this morning for a hIgh school info meeting with a homeschool charter. Ugh!! I can’t remember which one of you made that SWB quote about don’t make decisions based on fear, but I am trying to keep that in mind. This is just an informational meeting, and I have told myself that I will absolutely not make any sort of decision regarding changing things up until the summer.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 5

I've been rearranging bedrooms. Ds31 is moving his stuff here today, and dd and ds10 wanted to switch beds. Dd has had ds10 bed for a year or so.

So we have taken apart all three rooms.

How did that go?   :hurray:  :hurray:  for tackling such a project!

This past weekend (while I was so fatigued and feeling overloaded) DH asked if next weekend I'd like to go to Ikea and start getting our office area downstairs reconfigured.  The overwrought part of me panicked, but another part of me rejoiced, since I have been wanting this to get done and I was fretting over when we would even get the time.  Looking at all the stuff that will have to be moved the panicked part of me despaired, but the I-want-this-done-soon part has declared we will simply do the dump-shuffle, stuffing things off to the side in other spots to clear the areas.

Of course, knowing myself as well as I do I also know I will be wanting to sweep and mop/scrub certain floor areas, too, while we are reconfiguring furniture placement.  I simply object to placing furniture in a spot that has known dirt.

• Like 2

I did not drown in the dangerous seas--either the ones outside my front door or the ones referenced up-thread. As someone who tends to be a homebody and doesn't live in an area with ample opportunities for my introverted snapping turtles to socialize with other snapping turtles, I just make do with what I have and do the best I can. 

The snappers are down with the big snapper (DH) to see what can be done about the flooding that is close to overtopping the crossing. I think they might be trying to channel Moses. They took the sole umbrella with them so I can't go rescue them without getting soaked. I haven't dried out from getting soaked just getting into the house.

It's raining buckets, frogs, and buckets of frogs, I tell you!

We are also under a tornado watch, and expecting 60 mph winds...fun times.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:   Hug chain to try to hold back the waters.

How did you fare, if you haven't already said?  I'm still catching up.

• Like 1

Hello, ITT. :seeya:

Some people have forgotten the warnings about swimming in the sea. But I am busy kicking Saturday's butt.

#Isaidbutt

#cleanallthethings

Want to come over here next?  

• Like 2

The creek is fixing to go over the crossing. Pipes are almost plugged with the silt coming down the creek. Grrrrrrrrr. The boys and DH are stacking protective rocks to try to save something. Blast and bad words.

EEK!   :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  (more hug chain!)

• Like 1

I read that as “licking Saturday’s butt†and became very concerned.

#inappropriate

#youcan’ttakemeanywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:lol:  :lol:

• Like 1

We had a low-water crossing that sometimes became impassible during flooding. Not great to have in your driveway. I felt that a bridge would be better, but the cost of forms would have been too much. So we put in four sticks of good concrete pipe. Double the flow we had, but I guess when there's quadruple the water coming through double doesn't help much.

Well, it does prolong the time before everything gets topped out, doesn't it?  (the doubled flow)

• Like 1

ButtPo:

(Sorry, I couldn’t resist)

We now have 4 painted lady butterflies in our little habitat. We got 5 catterpillars🛠And they all went into the crysalis stage, but only 4 lived. One came out as a crumpled up butterfly blob.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  for the one little blob.  Poor blobberfly.

• Like 3

When did Bookie last post? I’m worried about her and her wittle board books.

Peeking at her profile (the posts tab) it looks like the last posts she made were on Feb. 14th.  I hope she is doing okay.

I checked out half of the the library. Among my horde is The Portable MFA in Creative Writing. I want to learn me how to written more better. :hat:

First exercise: List the books and stories that you would consider life-changers. Now I need to think and compose my list. So many, so many...

Also a beautiful quote: "Beethoven wrote Symphony No. 9 in D minor. He also wrote bagatelles--short, light musical pieces. He didn't feel bad about the bagatelles. He understood an important truth: that a bagatelle can be a good bagatelle, but it can't be any kind of symphony except failed ... recognize what kinds of projects are bagatelles, and what kinds might be symphonies ... ensure that your bagatelles are good bagatelles, your symphonies good symphonies."

Now if I only knew what a bagatelle sounded like and which ones are good.

Is this from that Portable MFA book you mentioned?  This is a really good quote!  Feels rather timely for myself, too....

• Like 1

I got a D in Trig because my teacher somehow rounded a 40-something percent to a 60 because he knew I tried hard.

I never wanted to take that class, but my guidance counselor told me that it would be good for me.  She was wrong.

Yeah, my major advisor in college also advised me to take Fortran.  For an archaeology/anthropology major.  I dropped Fortran on the last day I could and still get a W ("withdrawn") instead of an F for an incomplete.  NO ONE I have met has had any need for Fortran since I tried to take that course, though I'm sure there are a few somewhere.

I thought I was completely illiterate when it came to programming languages, but I managed very well with AML, SQLPlus, Unix, and Perl for a while back in my data management and geodetics days.  Please don't ask me to decode them now, however.  I am rusty, and my books are gone or buried.

Nobody in my family can figure out what they want made for dinners next week. I asked if that meant I got a week off from cooking. I got shrugs.

#whydoIbother

#apathysandwichesforall

#notevenkidding

I like the apathy sandwiches idea.

After we were finished buying Dad's lift recliner yesterday I asked DH if he wanted to take Arby's or something home for supper.  It was only 4 PM, but I hadn't thought through supper and couldn't adult on anything by that point.  He tried to stop by the new ramen shop that opened near us, but they are closed for employee training for a few days.  Instead we came home and he ordered delivery from our local Japanese restaurant that offers delivery.

Have I mentioned how much I love having a Japanese restaurant nearby that DELIVERS?

:001_wub:  :001_wub:   I also love having a DH who will adult when I can't.

ETA:  He also didn't turn on the morning news at the usual time, instead reading email and such in bed until I woke up myself.  I slept until 1 minute before my own alarm was set to go off, giving me about 9 hours of sleep last night.

Edited by AMJ
  • Like 5

Right, and I stopped before high school so I didn't have to deal with grades and transcripts if I didn't want to. 

I might have to write up some sort of transcript for DD13 anyway, since the school wants to see previous school records.

I.am.bushed.

I already have some muscle soreness from working out yesterday. We moved three rooms of furniture today. Plus I cleaned out all of ds10 toy bins, dgc toy tub, vacuumed three rooms, did a load of clothes and 3 bedding loads and remade the beds, cooked 2 crock pots of chicken dishes, loaded and ran dishwasher, made pies, put together a salad, took dd to a party and picked her up, watched my neighbor's 3 kids most of the day, got Sunday school lesson ready, and worked from home almost 3 hours.

May I go to bed now?

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:   You have done very VERY well!

Is this from that Portable MFA book you mentioned?  This is a really good quote!  Feels rather timely for myself, too....

It is--I thought it was good. I have to remind myself of that from time to time, and thought I'd remind some of my writer friends in the trenches of the same thing. Not everything has to be a symphony.

Renai, when I DO accomplish things, it's usually just out of necessity. Or that I can't just sit down and relax, anyway. With 3 other kids in the house all day (and 2 of them fight constantly) I couldn't really sit and do my own thing. Plus the rooms (at least one of them) had to be done before ds31 got back from Houston with his furniture. So it was kind of just a domino effect.

This, I suspect, is exactly when and why I do accomplish things, too.  Actual, real-life deadlines help me.  Invented deadlines to try to capitalize on that don't help me.

I guess I'm a down-to-the-wire accomplisher....

• Like 1

I want a Ghost pepper. I don't really like very, very hot peppers, but I think I'd like one on my front porch as a specimen plant. Those are reputably very difficult to start from seed and would need bottom heat to germinate.

Keep them well away from any sweet peppers you might be planting anywhere.  We ended up with some rather spicy bell peppers when I put the jalapeno plant pot too close to the garden bed in our old house.

• Like 1

I'm evidently in a good mood this morning. The sun is shining, the sky is blue and the maples are golden with goldfinches. :001_smile: Also the maple buds are opening. The bees will be here soon. Every water hole is hosting frog choruses. It might be the end of February, and as cold as winter, but spring has his foot in the door.

I love to hear the frogs singing.  I don't like cicadas, though.  Not sure why the one doesn't bother me but the other sounds like harsh electricity.

• Like 1

Usually we are clear to plant around the middle of April. Not always--sometimes we get a crazy late freeze, but most of the time it's okay.

Down here planting starts in mid-February and runs through mid-March for most things.  Summer heat tends to kill off quite a lot of stuff, so after the late spring harvest we ride out the summer and then plant about September for a fall harvest.  Only the most heat-tolerant long-growing things are planted in the spring for a fall harvest.

• Like 1

That couldn't happen!

In my imagination, everyone else's children love school and never whine. They love all the fantastic, creative projects and plans the other parents come up with, and produce beautiful papers by the time they are 7, are math prodigies, read and enjoy reading wonderful literature, and speak 16 languages. The kids are also perfectly polite, keep their rooms clean, cook gourmet dinners for the family, get along together and never fight or sass. Mom is active in the community and has tons of meaningful, enjoyable projects going on for her own enrichment, and everyone's kids are going to Ivies on full scholarships. 

I could solve this problem for you by inviting you to my house...

A couple of my kids like school.

They all whine.

They don't love most of my ideas, projects, etc.

They all speak English; one speaks a little bit of Spanish; three "speak" a little bit of ASL

They are kind of polite.

Their rooms are kind of clean.

They cook chicken nuggets and spaghettios.  Two or three can cook a few better things.

They mostly get along.

They sometimes fight.

They don't usually sass.

No community involvement.

No interesting projects.

No Ivies.

No scholarships.

:)

• Like 8