Menu

Ignore this thread!

Exactly. I guess my point was to say, that you're not cutting corners so it will show up on your transcripts somehow in the end. If you do every math over 1.5 years until they get it, then that's just three math classes in high school, which is an honest assessment of work complete. A lot of people could get an A if they had 1.5 years and that's a really valid way to think of setting up education. I don't think it speaks to neglect.

Neglect is when you aren't even thinking about it, when you aren't even prepared for eventualities, whether they be a desire to go to college for the oldest girl of 12 kids, or whether it's dyslexia for the child of two PhDs. If you aren't working to provide a general education for the kid that's not good enough. And as I mentioned on the neglect thread, yes public schools are frequently guilty of this, though I'm not willing to be on whether the incidence of neglect is higher among homeschoolers or public schoolers. My guess is that the more mainstream you get, the more hangers on you get, and the more people are going to try to skate through.

Right, and I stopped before high school so I didn't have to deal with grades and transcripts if I didn't want to. 

• Like 2

As someone who grew up on an airline I thank you for this.  You will all be more comfortable and the baby will be MUCH safer should turbulence be encountered.

Now, please check to make sure your baby's car seat is not only TSA-approved, but approved by your airline(s) as well, just so there will be no hiccups over whether or not the child's seat can be carried on and used.  Be sure to check airplane size -- if any are smaller planes double-check to make sure the car seat will be allowed.

If you are renting a car on the other end check into what kind of transportation is provided to get you to your car.  Many use shuttle busses with no seatbelts.  Try to get yourself transportation that will allow you to strap your child's seat down properly for the ride.  BE INSISTENT ON THIS.  It is, after all, simply looking after the lawful transportation requirements of the baby.  If they try to have you ride in a vehicle that doesn't allow this get right back off and insist on other transportation to the rental car.  Take a taxi if necessary.

#bossypants 

• Like 2

My kids are into cool stuff like Carmen and Hamilton.So I found relatively affordable tickets to Hamilton.And then I bought them.My Christmas bonus is now 100% spent.

I probably should have gotten my tires balanced but IT'S THE ARTS.

• Like 11

My kids are into cool stuff like Carmen and Hamilton.So I found relatively affordable tickets to Hamilton.And then I bought them.My Christmas bonus is now 100% spent.

I probably should have gotten my tires balanced but IT'S THE ARTS.

Prepare to be jealous: My niece got free lower level center Hamilton tickets in NYC because of connections. Do you know what my connections get me? Nada. And they are the same connections. 

• Like 7

Prepare to be jealous: My niece got free lower level center Hamilton tickets in NYC because of connections. Do you know what my connections get me? Nada. And they are the same connections. 

That's okay. We have the $10 lottery here. I've applied many times but frankly... we make decent money and I got a great bonus this year. So I am happy to spend it for the arts. I sincerely hope that a young artist gets their $10 ticket. When I was young I got to do many things because of the kindness of others. We also saw many of the world's operas overseas, while in the Peace Corps. So... let them have their free tickets. I have gotten mine and I will pay in. :)

• Like 3

This was a big week for Baby. He did all this for the first time this week:

He's learned to belly laugh.

He's started reaching for me when he wants me or wants up.

He's started imitating Mama on command. I don't care if he doesn't know what it means because I can pretend he does.

He's decided he LOVES Doggy. Until this week I was afraid he'd be scared of all little white dogs because she's in his face licking him so much.

He's started responding to mirrors. 

He can stick his paci in his mouth by himself.

But he is not sleeping.  :closedeyes:

• Like 12

This was a big week for Baby. He did all this for the first time this week:

He's learned to belly laugh.

He's started reaching for me when he wants me or wants up.

He's started imitating Mama on command. I don't care if he doesn't know what it means because I can pretend he does.

He's decided he LOVES Doggy. Until this week I was afraid he'd be scared of all little white dogs because she's in his face licking him so much.

He's started responding to mirrors.

He can stick his paci in his mouth by himself.

But he is not sleeping. :closedeyes:

Well, of course he isn't. Who could sleep when they're doing all of these new and exciting things?

• Like 8

Did it taste like lemon?

My brother says they taste like lemon.

I never tried ants, only grasshoppers.

#militarysurvivaltraining

I don't recall ants having much of a taste at all. That said, the numerous little black ants I've eaten had been cooked with the reheated rice in the rice cooker, and the one live big red ant bit my tongue. 

I've had fried grasshopper (or was it cricket?) before. It was crunchy, but no other taste. 

I.am.bushed.

I already have some muscle soreness from working out yesterday. We moved three rooms of furniture today. Plus I cleaned out all of ds10 toy bins, dgc toy tub, vacuumed three rooms, did a load of clothes and 3 bedding loads and remade the beds, cooked 2 crock pots of chicken dishes, loaded and ran dishwasher, made pies, put together a salad, took dd to a party and picked her up, watched my neighbor's 3 kids most of the day, got Sunday school lesson ready, and worked from home almost 3 hours.

May I go to bed now?

I always wonder how people actually accomplish things. My life would be so much better if I could finish things.

• Like 6

Good morning!

Pantz!

This does not sound like fun.

#understatementoftheyear

It was not fun. We were driving home in it last night and had to pull over for a minute because we couldn't see even though we were only driving about 20mph.

I talked to a student of one of the potential cello teachers last night and she could not say enough wonderful things about the teacher. "Extraordinarily gifted teacher and wonderful person" were the primary words used.

Coffee!

• Like 8

Good morning!

Pantz!

It was not fun. We were driving home in it last night and had to pull over for a minute because we couldn't see even though we were only driving about 20mph.

I talked to a student of one of the potential cello teachers last night and she could not say enough wonderful things about the teacher. "Extraordinarily gifted teacher and wonderful person" were the primary words used.

Coffee!

Maybe you already know, but I would ask about how the teacher writes instructions for what / how to practice, is he/she consistent every week in instructions and expectations, is the teacher both goal oriented with a standard of excellence as well as encouraging and helpful when a student hasn't met the expectation, is the teacher both creative and organized, does the teacher participate in community musical events and organizations (competitions, youth orchestra, etc).

But YAY! for a positive recommendation!!!

• Like 1

It's been one of those mornings. One dog made a mess in the office because she's been trying to avoid staying out long in the rain. She's afraid to melt. It's not raining now, but she couldn't wait for that. :glare:

I woke up with a backache.

The turtles woke up in grouchy mode, and one poured orange juice into his oatmeal and had to remake a whole pot. 

And so far the tea kettle hasn't boiled. I'd better go check.

• Like 4

Morning!

I'm looking for a cello teacher; considering online lessons actually for one of mine.

He has some sort of performance anxiety that always comes out in music lessons and I'm wondering if he could do the lessons at home via video call the anxiety might not interfere as much.

4 different teachers and 3 different instruments so far and we run into the same problem with each--he shuts down and can't play at the lesson.

We've been on break for about a year and a half because of that but I'm about ready to try again.

Oddly enough when he has had a recital he has been just fine.

• Like 1

Morning!

I'm looking for a cello teacher; considering online lessons actually for one of mine.

He has some sort of performance anxiety that always comes out in music lessons and I'm wondering if he could do the lessons at home via video call the anxiety might not interfere as much.

4 different teachers and 3 different instruments so far and we run into the same problem with each--he shuts down and can't play at the lesson.

We've been on break for about a year and a half because of that but I'm about ready to try again.

Oddly enough when he has had a recital he has been just fine.

I had two teachers for piano that were good with me. One of them had dogs, and she seemed to know that when I needed a minute she could leave the room and send in the dogs and I'd be fine. The other teacher had a wonderfully dark house that felt like a comforting blanket whenever I set foot in it. She also knew to just sit and be quiet until I was ready to play. I got overwhelmed easily with mistakes and sometimes I just needed to realize that it wasn't the end of the world.

Then I had one teacher and after that I never took another lesson. Worst time ever, although I actually played for the college recital, and played accompaniment for a friend later. I still pick around on the keyboard when I can.

I think I'd be better now because I don't suffer from that perfectionism the way I did when I was younger.

• Like 2

Rise and Shine it's Coffee Time!  Happy dance for everyone surviving bad weather.

I'm writing a talk to give next week, and playing church hooky so that I have some peace and quiet in which to do it.  The perfectionist side of me is getting the better of me, and it is not going well.

I may have to outsource this to Critter. 

• Like 4

Rise and Shine it's Coffee Time!  Happy dance for everyone surviving bad weather.

I'm writing a talk to give next week, and playing church hooky so that I have some peace and quiet in which to do it.  The perfectionist side of me is getting the better of me, and it is not going well.

I may have to outsource this to Critter. 

:willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:  :laugh:

• Like 4