Menu

Ignore this thread!

Btw, I do think it'd be better for the kids if I were to be more consistent... part of the reason I read those threads is because every so many posts I tend to think "hm, I should probably go do something with the kids". :leaving:  

I'm ketchupped. 

I took this past week off (it's early spring break here). Of course, on Wednesday I got sick... I think viral pinkeye (just my right eye), which can have cold symptoms to accompany it. I was all shaky on and off on Thursday-Saturday... I seem to be doing a bit better today, but I did wake up with a sore throat and still needing water to unshut my eye. Blegh. 

I am glad you are getting better!

Because Broccoli's violin teacher was claiming some song was in that top-3, and I was like "for real?". I mean, admittedly, I did know the song, but he claimed that Broccoli was the first person he'd ever encountered who didn't know the song. And frankly, I'm getting a little annoyed at his incredulity at Broccoli not knowing songs. I did my best, but once he turned about 3 or 4 years old, he started complaining a lot about not liking songs and singing, and would beg me to stop singing, and complains about a fair number of things I play on YouTube as well (he also likes a fair number of things, so, it's not like he hates everything), so, he just doesn't know as much as he would've if he hadn't been complaining about stuff. So, there are some songs that he can't sing that I feel would be surprising to people, but the one his teacher mentioned was an "um, what?!".

What was the particular song in question?

I have found that I am not that conversant in many songs people seem to take for granted, while I am surprised many I grew up with other people "had never heard of".  So I really am just curious about which song the teacher thinks is so common.

Anyway... I'm not surprised that people would be shocked that my kid can't sing Twinkle Twinkle or Jingle Bells (frankly, I was kind of surprised myself, as he used to be able to sing at least the latter, I thought). But, You Are My Sunshine? Um... okay then. I don't believe that's in the top-3 most recognized songs globally (I doubt it'd even be in the top-3 in the US). Things frequently mentioned for globally are Happy Birthday, Twinkle/ABC/Baa Baa Black Sheep, Frère Jacques, Nokia ringtone, Beethoven's 5th, etc. 

Is that the one the teacher thought was so commonly known, You Are My Sunshine?  I would not have expected that to be so thoroughly globally recognized.

• Like 1

I love to hear the frogs singing.  I don't like cicadas, though.  Not sure why the one doesn't bother me but the other sounds like harsh electricity.

I like them both.

But what I love the most are the Chuck-Will's-Widows. They don't come back north until later in the spring.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 1

Eine Kleine Nachtmusik and Beethoven's 5th jump out to me as contenders. (And the lyrics from the Beethoven's Wig cds are very fun. The Moonlight Sonata one kind of cracks me up.)

Oh, that's wonderful!

And then I found they did a bit of Scott Joplin:

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

• Like 1

An hour of second sleep. :coolgleamA:

Some posters seem to be living in a very small bubble where everyone is upper middle class and college prep. I read a post a week or two back where someone asked, “does anyone ever even have an EFC of zero?†And I snorted out loud. I did. A bunch of my friends did. Probably half of my graduating class didn’t take anything higher than “Business math.†But Renai, I think in a very real sense you do offer above Alg 2, bc if Gymnast got older and started to love math and wanted to be an engineer, you would help her, just like you’re helping Dancer do what’s best for her. It’s the parents who refuse to let their kids learn things that will help the kids escape their parents control that worry me, but thankfully I think that’s probably a very very small number (and was it ikslo? Seems like someone in this thread pointed out that that sort of thing would probably be occuring alongside other types of abuse that are easier to define and prosecute). Weirdly, the only family I ever met who acted anything like that let their dd go to college to catch a man but then wouldn’t help her get a driver’s license when she graduated so she could get a job. My aunt ended up doing her driving hours with her.

I was trying to say this but couldn't get it out right so I insulted Critter instead. Critter, this is what I meant.

Which thread title?

Something like does educational neglect happen in homeschools.
  • Like 2

I'm up because I awoke for a 5:30 class, the camera decided not to work, I had to restart the computer and by the time I got back, there was no student and I got a Teacher IT problem and class was cancelled with no pay. :(

I'm going back to bed.

Maybe.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

I have to get an internet that works faster than dial-up first. I swear, no agent is going to believe me when I tell them I'd have to do all the updates, posts and videos sitting on my chimney to get enough cell signal for internet access.

#ruralworldproblems

Invite them out to come try it themselves!  Preferably right when it's due to rain and the water is high enough for them to wonder (only after they get there) whether they will be able to get back out again.   :D

• Like 1

Good morning. I got a whole seven hours sleep because I had the truly brilliant idea of covering the puppy’s crate with my robe. She couldn’t see the “boys†get up for work this morning so she didn’t whine and make me get up prematurely. I’m feeling a lot better about life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 10

First visit today! We're very excited!

Cool thing happened yesterday. The Anglican church that we sometimes go to in the big city is planting a church here, so we went at 4pm. The priest couldn't make it due to the weather, so prayer service instead. The guy who led the service? A math prof at the school today! Jo had a GREAT chat with him after the service.ðŸ‘

• Like 10

It is--I thought it was good. I have to remind myself of that from time to time, and thought I'd remind some of my writer friends in the trenches of the same thing. Not everything has to be a symphony.

So, what does "MFA" stand for again, please?  My brain thinks it knows, but it has buried that information.  Or it might be confusing it with something else.

• Like 1

An hour of second sleep. :coolgleamA:

I was trying to say this but couldn't get it out right so I insulted Critter instead. Critter, this is what I meant.

Something like does educational neglect happen in homeschools.

Oh yeah, that thread.  Nope, not even peeking there anymore.

• Like 1

Despite having a lot more puppy steps, the puppy has derailed me from my weight loss.  I haven't gained any weight.  I'm within my three pound window and not even at the top of the window.  But lack of proper sleep was doing a number on me.  It also meant that just to survive I was eating more chocolate and peanut butter to give me a sugar boost mixed with protein and fat.  It kept me going but no weight loss last week.  I'm hoping that I can get the sleep angle nailed down better and will then start losing again. 

• Like 2

Despite having a lot more puppy steps, the puppy has derailed me from my weight loss.  I haven't gained any weight.  I'm within my three pound window and not even at the top of the window.  But lack of proper sleep was doing a number on me.  It also meant that just to survive I was eating more chocolate and peanut butter to give me a sugar boost mixed with protein and fat.  It kept me going but no weight loss last week.  I'm hoping that I can get the sleep angle nailed down better and will then start losing again. 

You can do it!  Just look at the progress you failed to lose!  You held your ground when backsliding was a very real risk!

• Like 5

Something else (actually two somethings) my DH also did yesterday that I really loved:

He gave a nice bathrobe of his to Dad so Dad will have one to slip on when he needs and I wouldn't have to keep remembering to get one for Dad.

He let me take a shirt of his own over for Dad to try on -- this allowed us to confirm that yes, it fit and yes, Dad likes it.  Now we can just order a bunch of them in for Dad before the hot weather hits.  These are very good hot-weather shirts.

:001_wub:  :001_wub:  :001_wub:

• Like 6

So, what does "MFA" stand for again, please?  My brain thinks it knows, but it has buried that information.  Or it might be confusing it with something else.

Master of Fine Arts.

Also might mean Mountains of Financial Aid according to what I've been reading. :laugh:

ETA: It looks really good at the bottom of a query letter.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 3

Some posters seem to be living in a very small bubble where everyone is upper middle class and college prep. I read a post a week or two back where someone asked, “does anyone ever even have an EFC of zero?†And I snorted out loud. I did. A bunch of my friends did. Probably half of my graduating class didn’t take anything higher than “Business math.†But Renai, I think in a very real sense you do offer above Alg 2, bc if Gymnast got older and started to love math and wanted to be an engineer, you would help her, just like you’re helping Dancer do what’s best for her. It’s the parents who refuse to let their kids learn things that will help the kids escape their parents control that worry me, but thankfully I think that’s probably a very very small number (and was it ikslo? Seems like someone in this thread pointed out that that sort of thing would probably be occuring alongside other types of abuse that are easier to define and prosecute). Weirdly, the only family I ever met who acted anything like that let their dd go to college to catch a man but then wouldn’t help her get a driver’s license when she graduated so she could get a job. My aunt ended up doing her driving hours with her.

This!! It’s the refusal to let your child learn and offer/require educational opportunities where they are at.

DS2 is still in 5th grade math. He’s an 8th grader. But he’s making his way through. My goal is to get him through Algebra 1 in high school. I believe that is the minimum requirement for a diploma here in California. I will actually find that out today. But this is where he’s at. He does math every stinking day. And he will continue to do so throughout the summer.

• Like 5

I have to get an internet that works faster than dial-up first. I swear, no agent is going to believe me when I tell them I'd have to do all the updates, posts and videos sitting on my chimney to get enough cell signal for internet access.

#ruralworldproblems

Sounds like you need to build yourself a tree house. For internet access.

Have you seen that TED talk about how kids shouldn't take algebra? Interesting stuff. The thoughts are essentially that the teen mind cannot grasp algebraic and geometric concepts the way an adult's mind can and that as adults we don't know enough about what we should know because we spent so much time on algebra. Debt, credit, mortgage, taxes or even balancing a checkbook are skills we are leaving home without but by golly we can find the length of hypotenuse so we'll be okay. He feels that we should spend our high school years on the math we'll encounter on a daily basis because we can take all 4 years of HS math in college in half the time should we decide to pursue a degree which requires it.

No, I've seen one about doing statistics instead of calculus in high school, but not about not doing algebra.

Not doing algebra is a bad idea, imo, for a lot of kids. Yes, everything can be done in half the time in college, and yes, we're all more mature in college. That's also true for literature, art appreciation, etc, etc, etc (fwiw, I flunked both of those in high school, and got As in both of those in college, when I was about 24yo or so). Debt, credit, mortgage, taxes, and balancing a checkbook were all covered in my secondary school, even though algebra etc were also covered. In fact, they were pretty quick and easy to cover because they're quite simple compared to algebra, calculus, etc - someone with a good sense of math really shouldn't need much time to understand those things. 

Anyway, a lot of engineering programs have a 4 years prereq sequence to get through if you start with Calc 1 in college. So, having to do all your high school math before that, that would make those programs take 6 years. Heck, some engineering bachelors are already 5 year programs, so, they'd become 7 years. That's just not a great plan, when plenty of people can get through high school math in high school. The other thing is that if you don't do high school math in high school, then you also can't do high school science in high school... you need algebra to do chemistry equations, and you need calculus to do physics (or, algebra to do physics, but then you'd need to take calculus-based physics in college). When I was in high school, they started calculus in 10th grade* in the pre-university stream - they pushed it to 11th grade the year after that, but, still... there are plenty of kids who CAN do algebra, geometry, trig, calculus in high school. Saying they need to be taught how taxes work is a false dilemma - you can teach them both. Now, obviously not everyone should take calculus in high school, but almost everyone could take algebra without it making it impossible to also learn about taxes etc. 

*Started meaning they continued teaching it in 11th and 12th grade, and they also taught geometry proofs in 11th and 12th grade, and statistics and probability - they have integrated math over there, so, not the standard US sequence.

• Like 5

It took me 20 minutes to remember a password so that I could pay for dd13's flute class.

You couldn't just use "I forgot my password" and have them send you a link to reset it? I use that for a lot of sites... 

Boeja!

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 1

I mean, I was going to. There was one post (Tsuga, I think? it's okay, I still love ya) about learning via Minecraft. I was going to post the whole page of Outlook classes that uses Minecraft as the base - literature, coding, math, etc. I decided to forget the tab was open, and stay away.

But those are outlook classes. This was years ago but I remember asking, and others asking, how they were learning math through Minecraft because it sounded super interesting.

And they were like "it's an engineering game. They'll pick it up."

And I know there are people who do that because we meet their kids in job interviews, and online. My kids have game related learning, of course. But I am not expecting them to learn math from games designed to entertain.

For me it is all about opportunities. An education is about basic opportunities to build your future. Not all kids will get past Algebra but all kids should have someone to help them strive for it and all kids should have an opportunity to push their own boundaries.

I don't think video games or caring for younger siblings does that.

Edited by Tsuga
  • Like 2

Master of Fine Arts.

Also might mean Mountains of Financial Aid according to what I've been reading. :laugh:

ETA: It looks really good at the bottom of a query letter.

Arghity argh!

Wow, a sudden squabble of birds occurred right now.

Edited.  "Must now"?  Really?  Fixed that.

Edited by AMJ
  • Like 1

We’re getting rain today. We’re getting rain today. The radio just said that we have had 1.5†of rain since October. We should have 7â€.

Yay, rain!  (Where you are.  We are getting more tomorrow, after a brief hiatus here today.  I'll try to fan it in your direction.)

• Like 1

I think being passionate about education can be a good thing, but sometimes passion plows right over common sense, kindness, and humility.

It's probably like a lot of things in life--there's a happy place of moderation, but it looks different for different people so there's no consensus.

• Like 2

My boys would be eternally grateful if someone could tell the mother snapping turtle to quit pushing their boundaries in grammar. :laugh:

Boundaries?  What boundaries?  Abolish those grammar boundaries!  Accept no limits there!  Forward (and foreword!) ho!

• Like 4

The garlic is planted. Dd11 named hers "Stephanie". :D

Now I have to figure out what to do about all these bare-root strawberry plants.

:laugh:  :laugh:

Maybe make them some plant pantz?  Then name them all Barry.   :smilielol5:  :smilielol5:  :smilielol5:

• Like 6

I may need a sweet potato intervention.

I've been eating them every morning for breakfast because they are warm, and not grain-based.  I am burned out on eggs, and my other typical breakfast foods.

Ideas of things I can eat?  I'm needing to eat a little bit lower-protein because my bloodwork monitoring how I'm doing on my medication has been a bit off.

• Like 2