Menu

Ignore this thread!

If you 1) aren't dead or 2) suffering from life-altering brain damage, then it's probably not as bad. And I was only referring to physically-challenging-to-the-mom situations. Trauma/death to the baby is whole different level of horror. I have thanked God most profusely for my healthy baby. I would much rather that is was I who suffered. Not that we have any choice in the matter.

Not that it's a competition, in any event. It was an off-the-cuff remark.

Oh, I know it was off-the-cuff and not a competition.  I guess I just perked up at the opportunity to trade "war stories".

• Like 3

Weren't you napping though? Not too traumatic. ;)

It depends upon what was going through her head, I'd guess.  Strange, psychedelic dreams might not be as upsetting as "why does no one hear me speaking?".

• Like 1

Dd had a good job interview/ dog walking experience.

And now I need to get up and do some more work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hooray for that!

I'll get my butt moving, too.  Must go treat some blood-stained sheets.

Want me to tell you how?

I started with a cold-water soak in the sink, with some of my laundry soap in the water.  That usually works quite well for the bulk of the girls' accidents when Aunt Flo gets overly enthusiastic.  Once certain other things come out of the washer I'll wash the sheets on cold, perhaps with some Spray & Wash if I think it's needed (Dad's stains did sit a few days), then inspect them thoroughly before they go into the dryer.  If I find anything else they will get another wash before getting any dryer heat.

Do you have any other pointers?  I'm always happy to listen to more pointers.

i have no war stories. The worst thing that happened to me with birth was that I ruptured after my C-section and they had to put everything back in and I had static gut and nothing was working. Did some time in the hospital with a nasogastric tube in place. That wasn't any fun. It was flu season and there were tons of sick kids, so I didn't get to see my babies that much--I wouldn't let them come up to visit. But I got through it.

I am having trouble getting motivated to do anything this afternoon. But the roast is done and it smells good. Think I'll bake some potatoes to go with it.

• Like 3

I started with a cold-water soak in the sink, with some of my laundry soap in the water. That usually works quite well for the bulk of the girls' accidents when Aunt Flo gets overly enthusiastic. Once certain other things come out of the washer I'll wash the sheets on cold, perhaps with some Spray & Wash if I think it's needed (Dad's stains did sit a few days), then inspect them thoroughly before they go into the dryer. If I find anything else they will get another wash before getting any dryer heat.

Do you have any other pointers? I'm always happy to listen to more pointers.

I hate it when I try to mess with someone and they’re all nice and polite about it!!!

• Like 6

I've been listening to my short person make calls to the admissions offices and math departments of two universities, setting up our first college visits in a few weeks.

I know that it's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but it still seems like such a grown up thing. I'm kinda :crying:

• Like 9

Have you ever been to one of those indoor trampoline parks? Am I going to hate it?

Oh, you’ll love it. If you take a cup of COFFEE☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸ And a book and park yourself on one of those parent couches they have strewn all over the place and tell the kids to go and have a good time. That’s what I do.
  • Like 4

From what you have mentioned, yes. Even though I hemorrhaged enough to fill the "hat" on the toilet in about 30 seconds, then passed out on the bathroom floor, yours sounds worse.

In 4 days I was transfused with over 60 units each of blood and plasma and over 280 units of platelets. I'm an overachiever. (Honestly, even my very-science-not-religion doctor considered my survival and recovery "a miracle." As in "not explainable but yay.")

I'm also a MAJOR proponent of blood and blood product donations.

• Like 5

When my youngest was born, there was a local newspaper photographer sitting in the hospital hallway waiting for dh and I to give the OK for her to come in. At 4am! :D They did an article on dd's birth for a special interest story on the Vanderbilt midwife program. We got copies of all the photos she took. :wub:

• Like 7

I started with a cold-water soak in the sink, with some of my laundry soap in the water.  That usually works quite well for the bulk of the girls' accidents when Aunt Flo gets overly enthusiastic.  Once certain other things come out of the washer I'll wash the sheets on cold, perhaps with some Spray & Wash if I think it's needed (Dad's stains did sit a few days), then inspect them thoroughly before they go into the dryer.  If I find anything else they will get another wash before getting any dryer heat.

Not that you need pointers, but my mom told me just to scrub it in the sink with bar soap until the stain came out. No soaking. I'd do a quick cold rinse, then blast it with hot and scrub. I know hot isn't recommended for blood, but if you are actively scrubbing it comes out faster that way than with cold. 

i have no war stories. The worst thing that happened to me with birth was that I ruptured after my C-section and they had to put everything back in and I had static gut and nothing was working. Did some time in the hospital with a nasogastric tube in place. That wasn't any fun. It was flu season and there were tons of sick kids, so I didn't get to see my babies that much--I wouldn't let them come up to visit. But I got through it.

I am having trouble getting motivated to do anything this afternoon. But the roast is done and it smells good. Think I'll bake some potatoes to go with it.

That sounds like a war story to me. 

My war stories aren't that bad compared to some. I got a nice helicopter ride with one. And some terrible, horrible, no good, very bad experiences, and a NICU stay, but all in all not that bad. 

• Like 1

I have no war stories, either. I didn’t give birth to any of my children.

It's a different sort of birth, with its own hardships and challenges.  And all of the love is still there.

• Like 3

Not that you need pointers, but my mom told me just to scrub it in the sink with bar soap until the stain came out. No soaking. I'd do a quick cold rinse, then blast it with hot and scrub. I know hot isn't recommended for blood, but if you are actively scrubbing it comes out faster that way than with cold. 

That sounds like a war story to me. 

My war stories aren't that bad compared to some. I got a nice helicopter ride with one. And some terrible, horrible, no good, very bad experiences, and a NICU stay, but all in all not that bad. 

The cold-water soak is the precursor to the I'm-either-too-busy-or-don't-wanna method.  Soak a while in cold water with a little soap.  Perhaps scrub a bit to remove gunk if possible.  Pull from the soaking water, wring out just a bit, and wash in the machine on cold.  Inspect -- if blood stains still remain try a stain remover and put right back into the machine on another cold wash.  Do NOT put the items in a warm dryer with stains still showing, or they will take many washings to gradually fade away.

When I take stain-free sheets back to Dad I can cut him off when he starts talking about having to just live with the stains until they fade.  I might or might not remind him that I have a bit of experience dealing with such problems.

• Like 1

You should know better than that.

You have been more places than I have and have seen and done quite a lot I haven't, and you're Mom.  I have immense blind faith in you.   :001_tt2:

• Like 1

One of the items that came to TX with us from Dad's place was something I thought was a small Pendleton lap blanket.  It's wool and it's Pendleton, all right, but it's too small to be a lap blanket.  It looks like a large table runner.  Is this what it really is supposed to be?

It's too short and wide to be a table runner.  Maybe a small baby blanket?

Edited by AMJ
  • Like 1

Earlier I sat down for a little reading time and fell asleep.  I finally got up to start cooking supper, but was so tired I decided to declare leftover-free-for-all instead of making hash as I had planned.

For my own supper I poured a bowl of breakfast cereal and almond milk.  I think I'll go to bed now.

Night-night!

• Like 3

The cold-water soak is the precursor to the I'm-either-too-busy-or-don't-wanna method. Soak a while in cold water with a little soap. Perhaps scrub a bit to remove gunk if possible. Pull from the soaking water, wring out just a bit, and wash in the machine on cold. Inspect -- if blood stains still remain try a stain remover and put right back into the machine on another cold wash. Do NOT put the items in a warm dryer with stains still showing, or they will take many washings to gradually fade away.

When I take stain-free sheets back to Dad I can cut him off when he starts talking about having to just live with the stains until they fade. I might or might not remind him that I have a bit of experience dealing with such problems.

I heard that chefs use hydrogen peroxide on their whites. I believe Oxyclean is essentially dehydrated hydrogen peroxide.

• Like 1

In 4 days I was transfused with over 60 units each of blood and plasma and over 280 units of platelets. I'm an overachiever. (Honestly, even my very-science-not-religion doctor considered my survival and recovery "a miracle." As in "not explainable but yay.")

I'm also a MAJOR proponent of blood and blood product donations.

Did you have a previa?

• Like 1

Ivory soap (just regular bar soap) and cold water.

• Like 1

I started another picture of apples. DH came in to fold laundry while I was putting green on a leaf, put my clothes down, then stopped and stared over my shoulder for a while. 

"What?"

"Nothing. That's really good."

"I had to start over. My first apples turned into peppers."

I brought out the pepper picture.

"Yeah, but those do really look just like bell peppers."

I've got a huge painting of water lilies, he's seen me do dogs, paint flowers and so forth. But the apples are the first picture he's shown an avid interest in. :laugh:

ETA: An art appreciation Booyah!

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 10

Thanks, you guys. I love you a bunch, and I'm so thankful for this place.

Does anyone now how to get smoke smell out? My dad smokes, and the apartment smells terrible.

The previous owners of our house smoked and had (untrained) cats.

We used several products from Lowe's/Home Depot.  A salesperson would maybe be able to help you.

I know that we had several bags of activated charcoal that we set out to absorb odors.  Baking soda on the carpets before vacuuming might also be helpful.

A quick search of Home Depot's site turned up this.  

And I found this product on amazon.

• Like 3