Menu

Ignore this thread!

What I remember from middle school:

I learned some things about Mesopotamia

My sister's friend called me a bad name and my sister agreed with her

I did an oral book report about The Family that Nobody Wanted

Taking group showers was the worst part of my entire schooling career

My 7th grade English teacher gave us "watermelon seeds" with story ideas for creative writing

A girl in my class burnt down her foster parents' house one morning before coming to school; I still wonder what happened to her

I knew by 8th grade that science was not going to be my best subject

The assistant principal was also a district magistrate and you really didn't want to go to his office (although I believe that he was actually very nice)

If a teacher walks to school with a He-Man lunch box, he will be ridiculed

I learned The Gettysburg Address (some of which I still remember, but most of which I've forgotten)

I participated in MathCounts and learned that I would be much better at math if I had patience

I was in the school spelling bee in 8th grade; my dad took off work and was kind of mad that I missed my very first word: persistent

I learned that when a girl in your class tells you that you look like Beaker on the Muppet Show, she probably doesn't want to be your friend

I learned that when you roll with a mean nickname, people will admire you for it

We took a field trip to visit historical sites in a city less than 30 minutes away and I remember some of what I learned there

Kids like me who pack their lunch aren't cool

I learned that I'm not very good at painting

I learned to sing the school Fight Song (and I still remember it)

I learned that if a kid on your bus drinks too much helium, he will profess that he is madly in love with you and probably never remember that it ever happened

I learned to make pineapple-upside-down cake, sort of

That was fun!  I remembered more than I thought I would.  However, very little of what I learned is actually useful.

Edited by Junie
  • Like 8

Not really.  I never "taught" ds to write.  We took a CM approach with narrations and then switching to writing.  He has always been very verbose.

Dd dug her heels in with all of it.  So I decided to bite the bullet and actually teach her.  I got SWB's first writing book (I can't remember if it is the WWE or WWS title but you probably know better than I do).  That was worse than anything.  (Sorry SWB.  I will grovel at your feet tomorrow.)  So I backed off.  I worked on reading comprehension and the short bits of writing required to convey that.  Then this year I drew my line in the sand.  At 10th grade it was now or never to start to actually write.  Renai and Quackersh were holding my hand in text while dd had a couple of epic tantrums while I steadfastly refused to budge.  So she started to give me written work.  At first I read it but did not grade it.  Then I only corrected spelling and grammar (though she's always been pretty good on that score).  We've been doing school for five months now and this is the first time I've started to work on actual form.  But she's also been naturally improving without my help. 

That's awesome!!

• Like 2

I hobnobbed with my fellow wizards tonight and commiserated with my writing friend who is struggling in the query trenches with me. I touched up my picture of peaches and will add stems and work on the leaves tomorrow. I rented the illustrated French/English dictionary from the library. Now I can go get tags and label all my stuff in French!

• Like 6

I knew by 8th grade that science was not going to be my best subject

I participated in MathCounts and learned that I would be much better at math if I had patience

I learned that I'm not very good at painting

That was fun!  I remembered more than I thought I would.  However, very little of what I learned is actually useful.

You could be a little less critical of yourself. I'm sure you were much better than you thought at those subjects.

• Like 1

Back in my day we didn't have middle school.   :laugh:   We had elementary school until 6th grade.  Then we had junior high which was 7th, 8th and 9th (even though 9th went on your highschool transcript - it was still part of jr. high then.)  Which years do you want to know about?

5th - I had Miss Wilson.  She loved science.  We raised frogs in her class and observed them.  She also had an old fashioned bathtub in her class with lots of cushions and a couch for reading.  AT the beginning of the year we had a penmanship evaluation.  I was supposed to work on alignment.  We never worked on penmanship again.  She was also the one who used the terms "warm fuzzy" and "cold prickly" as descriptions of how we talked to each other and treated each other.  

6th grade - Miss Davis.  best teacher ever.  She read aloud to us - Best Christmas Pageant Ever, Snow Treasure, Twenty and Ten, and probably others.  She diagrammed sentences with us.  We changed classes sometimes for social studies.  We did a Greek mythology unit, a middle ages unit, an oceanography unit.  We wrote a paper on making up our own holiday.  

7th grade - at the junior high - we changed classes for every class and had lockers for the first time.  PE - I had Mr. Voss who only gave As if you passed the PResident's Physical Fitness goals, so it was my only B in all of jr. high and highschool.  I read Gone With the Wind in health class (both years - 7th and 8th).  Return of the Jedi came out at the end of that school year, maybe?  I thought it was the end of the school year.  We had life science that year and I remember Mrs. Shelton asking us to figure out why a person gets cold after they get out of the shower/bath.  We all kept saying because the water evaporated off of them.  She kept telling us we were wrong.  I don't think we ever did figure it out....

• Like 5

What I learned in junior high (we didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t have middle school back then):

If you are a square peg in a round hole in boarding school, they will use a sledgehammer on you to make you fit.

Do not, I repeat, do not fall asleep without rigging your unlocking door in such a way that it canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t be opened or you will wake up outside on the freezing fire escape at 3 am where you were dumped as a Ă¢â‚¬Å“prankĂ¢â‚¬.

Also- check ice cubes for broken glass - also a Ă¢â‚¬Å“prankĂ¢â‚¬

DonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t blink if you are being threatened.

Reading can be too much fun if you read so much that you strain your eyes.

James Michener was fun to read for book reports.

If you use a discovery approach for science get a different science partner because we never discovered what everyone else did.

Shortcuts help a lot if you have to run a mile for PE (out in the countryside)

Writing was fun. Writing allegories were especially fun.

Quick learn the Ă¢â‚¬Å“Walter Cronkite Ă¢â‚¬Å“ version of the language if you have a country hick dialect.

Getting older friends goes a long way to making life bearable.

Joining the high school musicals was a blast.

Unfortunately I also learned to drink my first year of junior high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

What I remember from Middle School:

Playing flute and piccolo in marching band.

Ditching math most days 8th grade year and still getting an Ă¢â‚¬Å“AĂ¢â‚¬ in the class. WeĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d go hang out in the band room.

Being drum major my 8th grade year in marching band.

Having a crush on Robert A. In 7th grade.

Going to my first school dance,

Robert A. brushed past me in science and he had a pencil in his back pocket and the tip broke off in my leg and I still have a tiny bit of graphite in my leg as a reminder.

Home Ec with Mrs. L. who explained the Birds and the Bees to us.

• Like 5

You could be a little less critical of yourself. I'm sure you were much better than you thought at those subjects.

Well, I guess it sounded kind of critical, but I didn't mean it to be.  I think of it more as self-awareness.  This is when I learned that I really liked English, which ended up being my major in college.  And I learned that even if I could be good at math, I never would be because I'm just not interested enough.  And I almost wrote something about being better at sculpture than painting.

So, it wasn't really negative in my head.  I just shortened some of my statements since I was already writing a book.  :)

• Like 3

Did he swallow the bunnies?

He choked on a brown colored pencil and was disoriented. :willy_nilly:

Speaking of bunnies, Hazel perked up and was acting fine by this afternoon. I wonder if she was sulking because I squirted her (gently) with the water bottle last night for chewing on the plastic cage guard.

• Like 2

If you're so inclined, please pray. It's so, so bad around here again.

Praying.

We've been through some pretty dark times. I don't know what exactly you are dealing with but I have an idea of how desperate and alone it can feel facing big problems.

:grouphug:

Edited by maize
  • Like 2

(((Bookie)))

I don't remember 5th grade or much before it.

I think I'll just delete this sentence.

In 7th grade I had a nervous breakdown and was institutionalized for most of the year.

In 8th grade I got hot.

I don't remember anything academic but I don't usually remember anything after 3-6 months unless they're tied to emotions.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 4

He choked on a brown colored pencil and was disoriented. :willy_nilly:

Speaking of bunnies, Hazel perked up and was acting fine by this afternoon. I wonder if she was sulking because I squirted her (gently) with the water bottle last night for chewing on the plastic cage guard.

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m glad that Hazel is feeling better. They can be such moody little things, canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t they?

• Like 2

DS is deliriously happy now that he has stolen my super-comfortable slipper socks and discovered the joy of warm feet. If I knew thatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s all it took to make an 11 y.o. happy, I would have given them up sooner.

Wow, that's happy feet! Come back and tell us if it is that easy to make him happy when he is 13 (ask me how I know...but those days too shall pass...and be missed).

• Like 3

10yo - he's currently in 5th grade, but, thinking ahead to next year, which will be middle school. 

I really don't like blaming stuff like this on gender, especially since my 7yo boy does a better job at this stuff, so, it's not like boys are just incapable of this. 

I never said to not review before a test. You asked if I use study guides, and the answer is that *I* usually don't when *I* have to take a test (but I do review), and that I don't really give many tests in my homeschool (thus far), other than a standardized test every year. We're just not a very "school-at-home" kind of family.

6th grade is middle school? I thought it started at 7th?

Well, this is the response that never posted. Here it is, 3 hours later.

• Like 1

I re-read my last post and realized I used both junior high and middle school. I didn't actually go to either.

They like to extend the misery in France and throw everyone together for grades 6-9.

They call it collĂƒÂ¨ge.

(oh, and their grade system goes backwards--6th is still 6th, but 7th is called 5th, 8th is called 4th, and 9th is 3rd. That leaves 2nd and 1st, and the last grade is called terminale.)

• Like 4

Local schools here mostly do elementary k-6- junior high 7-9, and high school 10-12.

Some charter schools have k-8 as elementary.

Our district started "community schools" that go through 8th, but 7th and 8th are usually housed separately, and 6th is either with elementary or somewhere in between. High school is 9-12. Many charters are 7-12, so starting at the middle school level.

SCHOOBOOYA

Edited by Renai
  • Like 7

Hi All!

:svengo: Looks like I popped in just in time for some junior high reminiscing....

Shortly before tearing it down last year, someone toured my (long condemned) middle school building with a cell phone and then posted the video they made of it online. 

Horrors.

It looked exactly as I remember it (except a bit more trashed).  There must have been something good about those years?  But I cannot recall a single one of them.  It was a vast maze of dark, decrepit hallways; bathrooms lined with bullies twice my size smoking things that were (then) illegal.  (I didn't pee there for three whole years.) Bars on windows because a classmate tried to throw himself out of one.  A knife pulled on a friend of mine two desks over in homeroom.  A prison with not a single teacher stepping in to provide redemption.  (Not to say good teachers didn't exist... but certainly not any in my own experience there.)  When union-protected teachers in the high school were caught serving alcohol to minors or accused of harassment, they were "dealt with" by being sent to teach at my middle school instead.  

Ugh.  Thankfully, my battle-scars were minimal.  I kept to myself and flew under the radar.  But it's a miracle I don't have an ulcer from the chronic fear I experienced day-in and day-out.    My poor parents had no idea at the time how awful it had become... thankfully they caught on by the time my much-younger sister graduated elementary school . She was pulled out and sent to private school.  

• Like 5

Wait!  Something good about Middle School!

There was a candy shop across the street.  I used to buy a Snickers bar there every day after school while suffering the 45-minute wait for the school bus to arrive.  

Why in heaven's name did I have to wait so long for that bus?  It never occurred to me until now to question it .  I'd freeze in the cold parking lot during the winter, just to avoid the 8th graders making out just inside in the stairwell.  

• Like 3

For real, do any of you remember anything? Is it just me?

I had elementary school through 6th grade, secondary school from 7th-12th grade. I actually remember quite a bunch of the academics. Also, those grades would not have been optional - unlike the US, where I hear a lot of schools don't teach much new stuff in middle school, we learned a lot of new things in those grades, and you would've been lost without it in high school. I mean, in all fairness, I skipped 9th grade, so I can't be 100% sure what that was like (though I read most of the books during the summer between 8th and 10th grade).

8th grade was the last year I had geography. I would've liked to continue it, but it just didn't fit into my high school schedule. I remember being confused about the difference between weathering and erosion, and I still easily get confused, but other than that, my geography knowledge is from middle school, and it doesn't seem to be worse than the average American's knowledge of geography (actually, pretty sure my middle school geography recollection beats the average American's high school geography recollection). In middle school geography we covered a bunch of earth science stuff and a bunch of human geography stuff, and had some quizzes on countries and their capitals, one continent at a time. I don't remember *all* of them, but I do okay with locating things on a map. 

8th grade was also the last year I had Latin (same reason as above). I've forgotten a bunch of it, but I do remember some. The textbook was about Marcus and Lucius who were 12yo or so students. 

For history I had a group project about Egypt. For my part (about agriculture), I tried to go in depth too much, ran out of time, and so half of my part was plagiarized by translating Encarta by translating it into Dutch (I think I did list Encarta as one of the sources I used, but, uh, yeah... I translated more than I should have verbatim). On the other hand though, I'd also borrowed a book (maybe more than one?) from the local university library, and read some stuff about the salinization of the soil, etc, so, half of my contribution was pretty good. The others in my group basically didn't contribute anything, and got a failing grade. Despite the fact that the teacher had previously said that everybody in the group would get the same grade, I got a 7 (which is an okay grade - like, a B). I'm pretty sure she never realized that half of my part was translated from an Encarta CD-ROM. 

For biology, we had to do an experiment and write a paper about our hypothesis, methods, results, conclusion, etc. The experiment had to be about growing some sort of plant, bean sprouts or something. We could either do it about water, or about light/darkness. The teacher lectured me for doing it wrong because instead of having either one group of plants in the light and one in the dark, or one group of plants wet and one dry, I'd actually done one group of plants wet and dark, one wet and light, one dry and light, and one dry and dark, and he was telling me that I'd confounded stuff by not having a control group. I'm still not sure what on earth he was on about to this day, as I see no problem with what I did. I tried to explain myself to him, but I don't know if he was having a bad day or what. It's not like real scientists always only have two groups...??? 

I also remember that our 8th grade biology textbook was spiral bound with a neon green cover and that it was a community college textbook. I don't recall the title though. I do recall that after one of the first exams that year my teacher was super excited I'd gotten a 10 on it (like, an A++), something to do with that most others had failed it or something. It was about the organelles in a cell, like mitochondria, etc, and the differences between plant, animal, fungi, etc cells. I also remember that on the final of the year, the last question was a bonus question where we got to draw an 'alien' species that might live on another planet. I sort of remember what I drew, but I'm not sure how to describe it here... basically, a plant, but instead of having separate leaves, it had a ring-shaped leaf all around it, and then lower out the ring would be further out from the plant, basically in a cone-shaped form, more or less.

For art, I remember using an old-fashioned pen you had to dip in an ink jar and making patterns on paper by drawing lines, or squiggly lines, or dots, or little circles, or other shapes, etc... as many different things as possible, to see the different effects. Also, a color wheel with water paints, and learning perspective drawing for the first time.

In shop class, we learned to use a bunch of power tools for cutting, drilling, bending, etc various materials, as well as some basic technical drawing. Also, we made a radio from scratch... sort of, winding copper wire around a tube etc, and we made some electrical circuit with a light, etc. 

In gym, I learned that the instructor won't believe you're really trying, until you freak him out by giving 110% and going into a major asthma or w/e attack. I also learned that middle school kids are dumb and don't think they need to block the short kid while playing basketball (those middle school boys really shot up in height, so, I was super short in co-ed PE in NL), so that being short is actually an advantage, allowing me to score a fair number of times once I learned to actually throw that ball through the hoop. Mostly, the PE teacher still wouldn't give me more than a 6 (like, a C). Because he just didn't think I tried hard enough. Oh well. 

I seem to remember the stuff I learned in middle school English... either that, or I'm just pretending to write in English, and y'all have been good sports. Likewise, middle school French and German were definitely a pre-req for high school French and German, where we were expected to read full-size books, write page-long essays, and give 5-10 min long speeches in those languages. That would've been tricky to do without learning anything in middle school. 

Music... not sure I learned much in middle school music, since I'd played violin since 3rd grade. I basically don't remember middle school music. I played in the school orchestra though.

Physics... I don't remember much, but it was probably good to have as a prereq for calculus-based physics in high school. 

I did not like Dutch. I wasn't good at book reports. This became much, much worse in high school, where my literary analysis skills were bad enough that the teacher accused me of not having read the books. Not sure how that happened, because on the entrance exam for the bilingual program (so, at the end of 6th grade), we had to analyze a (Dutch) poem, and I was one of very few kids who realized the birds in the poem represented people. 

In the health and study skills miscellaneous class, one time we had to practice taking notes. I managed to write down pretty much everything the teacher said. That was not what you were supposed to do. It was fun though. Also, we were told the standard don't do drugs kind of stuff, and about some drug dealer that got caught because he used so much electricity to grow weed in his attack, and how he lost a ton of money because the Dutch version of the IRS then really got him for tax evasion (bigger offense than growing weed, iiuc). Allegedly the Dutch IRS doesn't care how you get the money, and won't report you to the police if you file you taxes and say you got the money by growing drugs. Not sure if that's true, fwiw. It might be. Also, in the same class, I learned that relaxation exercises stress me out. Apparently lying on the floor doing deep breathing exercises with all your classmates is not my thing. 

Anyway, I could probably go on a while longer, but I'm probably boring y'all. But, long story short, I actually do remember a fair amount of middle school academics, and/or it was a prereq for high school academics (e.g. 9th grade math was stuff like logarithms and trigonometry, and 10th grade math included limits and basic derivatives and integrals - we obviously learned algebra in middle school, though I don't really remember learning it - I mostly remember showing up to tests and being like "huh, this is interesting... let me see if I can figure it out"... occasionally I'd think "hm, maybe I should've done some of the homework" (tbh, I think I did sometimes do my math homework, but, not super consistent)). 

Maybe I remember middle school academics because I remember almost nothing else from that time period. I don't know. 

• Like 6

Oh, and for a speech in English class I decided to talk about bacteriophages, and I thought I'd made it simple enough, but everybody was completely lost, and the teacher criticized me for not keeping my audience in mind. So, I learned that if I think I've dumbed things down a lot, I probably need to dumb them down a bunch more. 

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 4

You know ikslo, and all, I really detest when people say, "You'll see!" in that sneering way.  Although it wasn't meant that way at all, I promise :001_smile:   

But, now I can't get this out of my head (please pass the tissues):

To Any Reader

As from the house your mother sees

You playing round the garden trees,

So you may see, if you will look

Through the windows of this book,

Another child, far, far away,

And in another garden, play.

But do not think you can at all,

By knocking on that window, call

That child to hear you.  He intent

Is all on his play-business bent.

He does not hear; he will not look,

Nor yet be lured out of this book.

For, long ago, the truth to say,

He has grown up and gone away,

And it is but a child of air

That lingers in the garden there.

Robert Louis Stevenson

• Like 3

6th grade is middle school? I thought it started at 7th?

The way I've seen it explained is that middle school is usually 6th-8th, while junior high usually starts in 7th grade, and that junior high used to be more common but that for the past couple of decades middle school has become more common. 

I don't think I've ever seen 5th classified as middle school. And elementary these days start with K.

Our local school district made 5th grade middle school last year, and 8th grade high school, because of school closings and space usage. But, they're not actually middle school and high school - that's just the buildings they're in. 

In NL, elementary school is group 1-8, with group 1 being pre-k, basically, so group 8 is 6th grade. Then secondary school is class 1-6, i.e. 7th-12th grade. Well, if you do the pre-university track. Otherwise it's either class 1-4 or 1-5, i.e. through 10th or 11th grade. 

• Like 2

My child complained about work which she had put off, so I showed her a BBC mini documentary on child labor. I do this once a year. She always forgets. She's sad now but she is happy to have a clean long pencil, a tidy notebook all her own, and a warm cozy bed, not to mention, we had hot chowder tonight.

They are too ungrateful.

Don't be sad if you have a fighter or a flyer... they will need that in the future. That is our superpower.

• Like 4

My child complained about work which she had put off, so I showed her a BBC mini documentary on child labor. I do this once a year. She always forgets. She's sad now but she is happy to have a clean long pencil, a tidy notebook all her own, and a warm cozy bed, not to mention, we had hot chowder tonight.

They are too ungrateful.

Yeah, I sometimes do stuff like that, but then they whine that that's ages ago, or abroad, or whatnot, so that it doesn't matter. They are certainly too ungrateful. 

Yeah, I sometimes do stuff like that, but then they whine that that's ages ago, or abroad, or whatnot, so that it doesn't matter. They are certainly too ungrateful. 

Abroad! How interesting. But... you yourself are from abroad, aren't you? My kids' dad is from Asia. They see pictures of countries and I have been there. I have told them stories of their dad's country and how hard it is. So they know they are the lucky cousins, and how many of their cousins would love to come here to the United States to get an education. That makes it easier to get their attention. They know that they are like those children.

I guess I went too far because tonight I had to console her by promising we'd look up how to adopt a child to send them to school.

Million dollars says that motivates her to do chores more than candy. She is like me. She hates unfairness. It's not just that it's bad--it's that it's so horribly wrong.

• Like 2