Menu

Ignore this thread!

Also the 1977 movie "A Bridge Too Far" is PG rated (of course, rated back when the PG-13 rating didn't exist yet), or, by Kijkwijzer, rated 6+ for violence, 12+ for fear, and 12+ for discrimination. In case y'all were wondering. I'm pretty sure I've never seen the movie. 

I'm getting a little tired of my hands breaking out. More blisters tonight. And yes, I'm sure I haven't been weeding the poison ivy patch in my magical poisonous plant garden lately. Deadly nightshade, possibly. Poison ivy, no.

Are you allergic to your paints or the cleaner?

Ed-po:  Warnings and such...

Luuknam -- ds17 did a 20th century class a few years ago and also a history of war class.  Most of this was done on his own, and he read a lot.  Most of what he read was on a high school level of course, but we did come across a few things that might interest your ds.

The Cornerstones of Freedom series is really good for that age.  There are several titles that would cover WWI and WWII

Other recommendations for WWI:

Silent Night, Holy Night: The Story of the Christmas Truce by Walter Cronkite.  There is a dvd of this story as well, but I don't remember if we watched it.

a graphic novel about the Red Baron by Wayne VanSant

ETA:  Russell Freedman's The War to End All Wars -- This might be a little advanced -- I really don't remember what was in it exactly -- but I love Russell Freedman's books.

I am going to be doing the 20th century class with dd15 and dd13, starting next week, so we *should*  :glare: get to WWI in March.  If I find anything else, I will try to remember to post it.

ETA:  We got these books from the library, so I can't just glance through them to remind me of appropriateness for 5th grade.

Now, off to look for WWII recommendations...

Edited by Junie
  • Like 2

Yes, and I guess WWII had plenty of stuff going on in Asia... I'm just not sure to what degree he wants it to be WWI & WWII, nor whether he'd be annoyed if I gave it an Asian spin, but, as you know, NL was occupied in WWII, so, anything European feels pretty close-to-home (at least to me). It even crossed my mind that I could drag him to some WWI/WWII sites while we'll be in Europe this summer... e.g., Dachau wouldn't really be a detour when driving home from Austria, BUT, even the Dachau Memorial's website itself says that they have nothing for kids, and that they don't recommend it for kids under 12, and that most of it is really 14+. 

Of course, there are milder options - e.g. my parents don't live all that far from a Bridge Too Far, where there is a small WWII museum. Pretty boring from the one time I went there though. 

How about a thorough chronological history of war and then by the time you get to WW2 he'll be older and ready for the trauma that goes with it. You can take a couple years. 

I'm being annoying on the bilingual board. Weird question, just go with it. What color is Latin?

I say red too. It's so obviously red to me that there should be no more discussion.

• Like 2

I am narrowing down potential cello teachers. I am not sure what to say when I contact them, because I essentially want to evaluate them to see if they would be a good fit for ds but I don't know how to say that without sounding like an annoying stage mom. Am I an annoying stage mom?

Ideally, I would have him take 4 "trial lessons" from each teacher this summer and then decide. I hate this.

Nice. Anxiety Booyah! Pfthsfpth

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 5

Tyrian Purple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like that!

How about a thorough chronological history of war and then by the time you get to WW2 he'll be older and ready for the trauma that goes with it. You can take a couple years. 

I say red too. It's so obviously red to me that there should be no more discussion.

:laugh:

Latin is the color of stone.

I was stuck between this and beige.
  • Like 1

I'm being annoying on the bilingual board. Weird question, just go with it. What color is Latin?

Brown. Or maybe purple. Or maybe... I don't know. I ended up looking up the thing on the bilingual board, and either of those should work, assuming they don't interfere with your colorblindness.

• Like 1

Right. I've got a thread over on the Logic Stage board about potentially doing the GC 48 lecture series "War in World History". And I wasn't really planning on starting it until 6th grade anyway, since we're trying to get through An Economic History of the World Since 1400 at the moment. 

• Like 1

Brown. Or maybe purple. Or maybe... I don't know. I ended up looking up the thing on the bilingual board, and either of those should work, assuming they don't interfere with your colorblindness.

Purple, me thinks. I love Jean's suggestion, but royal purple will be easier.

My colorblindness isn't that bad. I think I even found out about it in ITT's lifespan.

To be clear, those were the colors I thought of before I looked at the bilingual board or anyone else's answers. Really though, you should ask someone with synesthesia.

How strange. I had never heard of this.
  • Like 1

How are you feeling, ikslo?

Much better, thanks to the marvels of modern medicine. Thanks for asking.

It was a tough evening, though. I contemplated assigning silent reading and going to bed. I stuck it out and made him do school. We got it done. Even Russian. :D

• Like 7

Kind of bleh!! I got one of those home tests and apparently I don’t have one. Could be stress. Could be psycho-somatic. [emoji30][emoji30][emoji30] What I really need is a week at the coast, just DH and me.

Look up interstitial cystitis. And try drinking water with a tablespoon of baking soda in it. It helps with the bladder pain.

• Like 2

I had my books color coded with sticker dots at one point.

Pink was for foreign languages.

So Latin is pink.

Red was history.

Dark Green was science.

Yellow was language arts and literature.

White was religion and family history.

Light green was parenting and homeschooling how-to.

And blue...blue was something. Can't remember.

That system fell apart many years ago but I've still got books with dots around. I should find a blue one and see what it is. I must have had a category that included cookbooks and such.

• Like 3

Good morning!

I don't have synesthesia either.

Jean, are you feeling any better?

Krissi, if you are still feeling bad in a day or two, go to the doctor.

I have to do a couple volunteer hours at the tutorial today. The sauerkraut was sucessfully packed into jars yesterday, but we forgot to make the overnight quark. We can put it in this morning. Rehearsal tonight - we are starting on music for the Beethoven concert. Can't remember what we are playing.

Coffee!

• Like 4

Good Thursday Morning!

Coffee!

Orthodontist.

I think it's very possible to do an age appropriate study of WWI and WWII.  There's a book called The Good Fight that's good (WWII).  LOTS of Landmark books on WWII, though many are out of print.  I remember we enjoyed The Sinking of the Bismarck (I'll have to check if I have that title correct.) and others.  

• Like 4

Day 17 step goal met.

Bone broth drunk

Bone broth hungover?

I had my books color coded with sticker dots at one point.

Pink was for foreign languages.

So Latin is pink.

Red was history.

Dark Green was science.

Yellow was language arts and literature.

White was religion and family history.

Light green was parenting and homeschooling how-to.

And blue...blue was something. Can't remember.

That system fell apart many years ago but I've still got books with dots around. I should find a blue one and see what it is. I must have had a category that included cookbooks and such.

Spanish is red, Greek is blue, Japanese is green and English is black. John's list today:

Copywork: <font color="blue">Continue I John</font>

Greek*

Japanese*

Spanish*

<font color="red">Money</font>

Cursive

Reading: SOTW, Apologia, <font color="red"> Misdions, your choice </font>

Piano

Memory work

*These are done *in* English, so black.

If a flashcard says <font color="green">please</font> the answer is ãŠé¡˜ã„ã—ã¾ã™, but if it says <font color="red">please</font> the answer is por favor.

I have red and blue pens for writing assignments. It's not that important now, but I want the habit formed.

• Like 2

Wait! I don't think it's true sleepiness. I think I want to be awake, but on the couch with blankie, coffee, ITT, and a book. No talking.

Mine is true sleepiness. I work very hard in my dreams. Last night I walked about 300 miles dragging a very long pipe with a metal rod in it, almost fainted going down a very steep hill and then when I got to my destination, I couldn't cross the bridge because it was out. After that I went for a two day hike in a mosquito infested swamp, and I had to tuck my pants into my socks to keep the assassin bugs from crawling in and biting me. Then I went to a house where someone had recently died and I had to go through the place and tidy everything up so that the estate could be sold. There were spotted owls nesting in one of the windows, so I couldn't do much with that room.

Consequently, I need to go to sleep to recover from sleeping, but caffeine is probably easier. :sleep:

• Like 4

I am narrowing down potential cello teachers. I am not sure what to say when I contact them, because I essentially want to evaluate them to see if they would be a good fit for ds but I don't know how to say that without sounding like an annoying stage mom. Am I an annoying stage mom?

Ideally, I would have him take 4 "trial lessons" from each teacher this summer and then decide. I hate this.

How many cello teachers do you have to pick from? Sounds like a lot.

• Like 1

I don't think you're being an annoying stage mom.  I think you're taking prudent steps to make a good decision.  

• Like 3

Purple, me thinks. I love Jean's suggestion, but royal purple will be easier.

My colorblindness isn't that bad. I think I even found out about it in ITT's lifespan.

How strange. I had never heard of this.

Of course you've heard about it. We've discussed it in ITT's lifespan.