Menu

Ignore this thread!

Okay you guys, I had an absolutely bizarre experience. I was taking a midday nap because I'm working from home while DD2 is sick.

And half awake, while listening to my alarm go off, I had this sensation of feeling light. My heart was just light, in a very pleasant way. And my brain felt sunny. It wasn't euphoria, nothing that energetic. Just calm but not dark or sleepy or foggy.

Then it went away. Like the door shut. :( And now I feel like I normally do, which is hard to describe... it's just normal, but compared to how I felt then it is heavy, foggy, and a tight heart.

Why does the lightness happen? How can I make it happen more often?

Drugs. Really good drugs.

teA. Lots of HOT teA.

Dehydration.

• Like 2

Not if I keep refusing to engage. Emotionally, that's another story. My kids are listening to their father hurl crazy accusations at their mother. He does honestly believe them, but I don't know that that's helpful. Tomorrow I will tell them why what was said isn't true. Tonight, I'm just trying to get through it.

Okay. Not sure I feel better, though. Just stay safe, and have a plan in case the situation escalates. And a backup.

:grouphug:

Sorry if I sound dramatic, but IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve had friends who were in similar situations.

We love you! :wub:

• Like 6

Not if I keep refusing to engage. Emotionally, that's another story. My kids are listening to their father hurl crazy accusations at their mother. He does honestly believe them, but I don't know that that's helpful. Tomorrow I will tell them why what was said isn't true. Tonight, I'm just trying to get through it.

I am so, so sorry.  Praying that things will calm down.

I wish that I could come over and give you a big, big hug.  

• Like 2

:(  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

Basically, I think he often just zones out while reading and doesn't notice he should stop and go back and reread what he didn't absorb unless there's a question about it. 

I mentioned this to DW, and she says that the above is the reason she doesn't read books. She can however thoroughly read 1-2 page texts if assigned to her. 

But if there's no question on the test and he can do it when he has to what is the problem?

He just processes data differently. Probably his brain is looking for the big themes and he's absorbing the ideas somewhat non-verbally almost... like pictures in his mind. I think that is very normal for a boy between 10 and 13. There's a reason that's the biggest segment of the moviegoing public and there is a reason that movies aimed at them are almost nonverbal.

I would say, if he is reading and enjoying it, and if he can complete texts at grade level, let it go.

Half the stuff I read, I skim and look for bullet points. It actually is a huge plus in a work environment.

Um, because not reading things at all is an issue. Like, I gave him the art book today, and told him to do two pages, and to READ them first. He didn't read them, and just drew what he thought he was supposed to draw. It doesn't seem to matter how often this happens (and I do make him redo stuff).

Likewise, if I were to give him a text in order to learn something, and he skims it and there are no questions at the end so he doesn't go back to find answers, he isn't going to learn the stuff he needs to learn from it. Think e.g. high school texts for, I don't know, biology. In my experience (from when I was in high school), those have a very limited number of questions in each chapter, but you're expected to learn and memorize most of the stuff in them, including stuff that's not covered in the questions. Now, I know he isn't in high school yet, but we need to get from here to there, preferably in about 3.5 years or less. You can't just wait until someone throws a test at you to read the text, because if you do that, you'll find out that you didn't learn what you needed to learn, and most tests aren't open book, and even if they are, you might not have enough time to complete the test if you didn't read it thoroughly when you were supposed to read it. 

It's partially a compliance issue. If I need you to read x, I need you to read x, not skim x, or zone out over x. Just because he *can* get questions correct about x if given questions and given time to look up the answers, doesn't mean that it's okay to *only* read x when there are questions. 

• Like 2

As a side note, I'm a terrible student on paper, because I usually just read assigned texts in high school/college twice, and took barely any notes whatsoever, so, reading texts thoroughly is how I absorbed most of the material (and would get As). So, maybe he's the kind of kid who'd really benefit from taking notes, if only he didn't struggle with writing.  I know one of the ideas behind taking notes is that it helps students focus on what the key points in a text are, and to not just zone out. 

The main thing is that we're at a point where he should start to do more independent work, including stuff that requires him to read to learn stuff. I'm not going to sit and read middle school+ level books to him in entirety and then discuss them. Even if I wanted to, that's not practical, nor doing him any favors. But if I say "read x", and he doesn't, or only skims it, that won't work. And quite frankly, it makes me kind of angry - like, the thing with the art book, there was barely any text in there (almost the entire page was just pictures), so it's not much, so when I specifically tell him he needs to READ it before starting to draw and he doesn't... I'm not amused. 

• Like 1

Normally, I really like DHĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s soups. I also love pea soup.

TodayĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s version of pea soup tasted like dirty socks, though. So I dumped half a bottle of curry (exaggeration. But itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s my story :) ) into my bowl. It is now edible.

Carry on! Nothing to see here.

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 4

Drugs. Really good drugs.

teA. Lots of HOT teA.

Dehydration.

Uh, I'm not going to try those drugs. That sounds more than addictive. 

Tea: So, it was actually similar to post-tea moments, but (a) I was awake and not experiencing any tea-like symptoms prior if that makes sense... and (b) it was qualitatively different. It was quieter. There was no flash of light or flash of blue... 

Dehydration: I'm never drinking water again.

• Like 2

Okay. Not sure I feel better, though. Just stay safe, and have a plan in case the situation escalates. And a backup.

:grouphug:

Sorry if I sound dramatic, but IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve had friends who were in similar situations.

We love you! :wub:

It's not dramatic. It's caution. I remember the days me and Dancer had a plan (of escape), and a bag packed just in case. She knew who she could call, and we knew where we could go.  I parked my car a certain way on purpose.

Yes, stay safe.

• Like 4

Um, because not reading things at all is an issue. Like, I gave him the art book today, and told him to do two pages, and to READ them first. He didn't read them, and just drew what he thought he was supposed to draw. It doesn't seem to matter how often this happens (and I do make him redo stuff).

It's partially a compliance issue. If I need you to read x, I need you to read x, not skim x, or zone out over x. Just because he *can* get questions correct about x if given questions and given time to look up the answers, doesn't mean that it's okay to *only* read x when there are questions. 

I think this is totally a compliance issue. I think it's okay to only read when you either want to or when you have to answer for it. Why else would you read? I would say that you're going to have to approach this from a pragmatic compliance point of view, because if I'm not enjoying it or if I won't be tested on it (and even if I will, lol) I'm not gonna read it. I'm 40 and reading it assuming "I might have to know this" has not really ever provided me with a net benefit.

Now, I know he isn't in high school yet, but we need to get from here to there, preferably in about 3.5 years or less. You can't just wait until someone throws a test at you to read the text, because if you do that, you'll find out that you didn't learn what you needed to learn, and most tests aren't open book, and even if they are, you might not have enough time to complete the test if you didn't read it thoroughly when you were supposed to read it. 

You are probably going to have to wait until he hits that developmental stage though. Boys are disadvantaged in this way. "Half the population can do this in 4th grade," say statistics. Yeah, like 80% of girls and 20% of boys. Most boys can't do it. 

Also, wouldn't you use a study guide to review before the test?

I do hear what you're saying and great readers do read and absorb the whole thing and then not forget it, but a lot of brains just don't work that way. They save that space for processing speed.

• Like 1

Luuknam, seriously though--post "middle school boy verbal skills" in that forum and you will get more empathy. But having a 14-year-old boy in the house... I think he may have actually spoken 100 unique words from 5th through 8th grade, and possibly 2,000 actual English words total.

I also have a friend who has a middle school boy.

If he's passing and doing well in math and has anything at all, anything, that is not video games, that he cares about, take it as a gift.

And quite frankly, it makes me kind of angry - like, the thing with the art book, there was barely any text in there (almost the entire page was just pictures), so it's not much, so when I specifically tell him he needs to READ it before starting to draw and he doesn't... I'm not amused. 

I do know how you feel but I can also say with increasing certainty that this is really a developmental stage. While he should be respectful, I think your expectations may be unrealistic. At least, I would see if you could get from "angry" to "frustrated". This may be way harder for him (and the rewards, way less tangible) than you think it should be for someone with his demonstrated overall intelligence.

You might appreciate this:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2016/08/26/does_testosterone_therapy_affect_the_brain.html

I used to think, "Oh we just don't require boys to think. If we did, they could be way more like girls and express things." Especially because I am a woman with a "male" brain (do well on traditionally male subjects and also less well on traditionally female subjects) and I was raised as a feminist, my thinking was, "Well my mom raised us to be adaptable and we adapted." And I think to a large extent that is true. But I also know that when I had kids my BRAIN MELTED and I suddenly got worse at math, which was terrifying. Like, the numbers just didn't click. It has taken me a long time to get back my instinct for that! So I have to wonder whether my mom was able to take her approach because we were already l ike that... whether my family has a lot of feminists because women in our family just skew that way.

And maybe there is something to the natural element, at least when hormones are taking over your entire body, such as middle school boys experience.

Edited by Tsuga

Maybe I should find some curricula with lots of questions... they always feel like busywork to me, but maybe that's what this kid needs in order to move on to middle school level stuff. 

Bookshark. Or at least pieces of it or something like it. Everything has comprehension questions and an answer key. And it's secular.

ETA: Ha ha! I posted an answer before I saw your question!

Edited by Renai
  • Like 4

DonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t worry about it, we know how full your plate is. I hope today gets better. Ă°Å¸â„¢

I am so, so sorry.  Praying that things will calm down.

I wish that I could come over and give you a big, big hug.

What they said, and everyone else. (((Bookie)))

• Like 2

Strangely enough, ds13Ă¢â‚¬â„¢s cello teacher said he should hold onto FaureĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Elegie for a bit and they will get to it a little later. I think she might have actually looked at the music and realized ds is not quite up to it.

Such beauty. This oneĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s for you, Bookie. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=okSW0QNquv8

• Like 4

I think this is totally a compliance issue. I think it's okay to only read when you either want to or when you have to answer for it. Why else would you read? I would say that you're going to have to approach this from a pragmatic compliance point of view, because if I'm not enjoying it or if I won't be tested on it (and even if I will, lol) I'm not gonna read it. I'm 40 and reading it assuming "I might have to know this" has not really ever provided me with a net benefit.

Also, wouldn't you use a study guide to review before the test?

Right, maybe I should treat it 100% like a compliance issue... it's just that because he's got an ASD etc, I didn't just want to jump to the conclusion that he's non-complying just for the sake of non-complying... that it isn't a disability issue. 

Would *I* use a study guide before a test? Uh, no, not usually. Should I have him use a study guide before a test? Maybe, probably, I don't know? I haven't really been into tests etc (we do do one standardized test every year), but beyond that, I'm not big on tests. 

• Like 1

I edited my post above. I think he sounds 1000% normal for an eleven year old boy. 

And of course he should review before tests. Actually, I used to just do absolutely nothing until the night before the test.

This is a skill that comes in extremely handy when you are living in poverty and working 40 hours a week and going to college at the same time. Don't underestimate this approach. It's also super handy for meetings and a fast-paced business environment.

• Like 2

I am here to attest to a writing miracle.  Dd has written an essay.  An actual essay.  With a thesis and everything.  There have been some doozy of tantrums in the past - at one time even when I would ask her to write one stupid measly sentence.  And not only has she written the essay, but she is rewriting it and is taking my critique in stride.  :svengo:Butter my butt and call me a biscuit!  

Oh, NO! Events Planner is using drugs!

:scared: :001_tt2: :auto:

• Like 2

I edited my post above. I think he sounds 1000% normal for an eleven year old boy. 

And of course he should review before tests. Actually, I used to just do absolutely nothing until the night before the test.

This is a skill that comes in extremely handy when you are living in poverty and working 40 hours a week and going to college at the same time. Don't underestimate this approach. It's also super handy for meetings and a fast-paced business environment.

10yo - he's currently in 5th grade, but, thinking ahead to next year, which will be middle school. 

I really don't like blaming stuff like this on gender, especially since my 7yo boy does a better job at this stuff, so, it's not like boys are just incapable of this. 

I never said to not review before a test. You asked if I use study guides, and the answer is that *I* usually don't when *I* have to take a test (but I do review), and that I don't really give many tests in my homeschool (thus far), other than a standardized test every year. We're just not a very "school-at-home" kind of family.

I'm also not entirely sure what the argument you're making is. He has the ability to read. But because he's a 5th grade boy he's incapable of complying with the instruction to read a few lines of text? Because that's what happened with the art book. A few lines of simple, easy to understand text, but he didn't read them, despite being told to do so. 

He either: a) didn't pay attention and missed my instruction to READ the text (quite possible - like I said, I often have to repeat instructions 3+ times), or b) he heard me, but decided that I must be an idiot so he'd just ignore my instruction and just do what he thought he need to be doing (also quite possible), or c) he read the text but zoned out or w/e, or d) other. But either way, I just don't see how it's related to his verbal ability, since it wasn't above his reading ability, nor a huge overwhelming mountain of text. 

10yo - he's currently in 5th grade, but, thinking ahead to next year, which will be middle school. 

I really don't like blaming stuff like this on gender, especially since my 7yo boy does a better job at this stuff, so, it's not like boys are just incapable of this. 

I never said to not review before a test. You asked if I use study guides, and the answer is that *I* usually don't when *I* have to take a test (but I do review), and that I don't really give many tests in my homeschool (thus far), other than a standardized test every year. We're just not a very "school-at-home" kind of family.

I guess I feel that "blame" is a strong word for something that is not even that maladaptive.

And the 7 year old is not getting a huge infusion of testosterone. My stepson used to write little novellas. From 5th through 8th grade, he just... stopped. He's finally talking more now. Whole sentences. I wouldn't blame gender and I wouldn't give up, I just wouldn't expect him to do anything other than what he's doing.

And I know you weren't proscribing study guides. I guess I just assumed that people who read actually either liked the material or couldn't cram. It never occurred to me that that would be a preferred method, just sitting down calmly and reading it compliantly because that's what you were told to do.

But my entire family is really out there, and for us, what your son is doing sounds very, very normal, not only for a boy but for fifth graders in general. I help teach math in a fifth grade class. The boys are great. They do talk sometimes but most of them just sit there and figure stuff out on their own. It's like they are wired to be out by themselves in the woods or something--not in a group. I wish 10 - 13 year old boys could all just spend those years tending sheep.

This conversation is reminding me of adult men who can't put together something because they're refusing to read the instructions. It's one thing to try to put something together without reading the instructions, but if you fail, read the flipping instructions. Or, if it's an assignment and somebody tells you to read the flipping instructions, read the instructions. Don't blame it on your gender. Grrr. 

I'm also not entirely sure what the argument you're making is. He has the ability to read. But because he's a 5th grade boy he's incapable of complying with the instruction to read a few lines of text? Because that's what happened with the art book. A few lines of simple, easy to understand text, but he didn't read them, despite being told to do so. 

He either: a) didn't pay attention and missed my instruction to READ the text (quite possible - like I said, I often have to repeat instructions 3+ times), or b) he heard me, but decided that I must be an idiot so he'd just ignore my instruction and just do what he thought he need to be doing (also quite possible), or c) he read the text but zoned out or w/e, or d) other. But either way, I just don't see how it's related to his verbal ability, since it wasn't above his reading ability, nor a huge overwhelming mountain of text. 

The argument is, that reading takes a lot more effort than figuring it out himself, so not complying and trying to just hack it is his preferred method. 

He hears you but he thinks, "of course she'd say to read, but I can figure this out myself. I'm not stupid." Or, "This is so simple I don't need to read it. I'm  not stupid."

It's not verbal ability per se but the effort required to verbalize the instructions or to process the requirements verbally. He can do it, but his brain isn't there right now.

Instructions are boring. Figuring things out is fun. Compliance is rote. Guessing is interesting.

• Like 1

This conversation is reminding me of adult men who can't put together something because they're refusing to read the instructions. It's one thing to try to put something together without reading the instructions, but if you fail, read the flipping instructions. Or, if it's an assignment and somebody tells you to read the flipping instructions, read the instructions. Don't blame it on your gender. Grrr. 

But... that's not fun.

It's fun for them to figure it out. It's not that they can't. It's that just standing there doing what someone tells you is no fun.

Now, I'm not saying don't do that, but I will say that until I had kids I did the exact same thing. "I can figure it out!"  :blushing:

What changed was my obligation to my kids. Less time to figure stuff out now. But I prefer to do stuff without instructions. I don't care if someone else figured it out. Someone else already solved the New York Times crossword puzzle too, but I'm not going to just fill it in from an answer key!

Is there some pixie dust or a spell or something you could share with the rest of us?  

Not really.  I never "taught" ds to write.  We took a CM approach with narrations and then switching to writing.  He has always been very verbose.

Dd dug her heels in with all of it.  So I decided to bite the bullet and actually teach her.  I got SWB's first writing book (I can't remember if it is the WWE or WWS title but you probably know better than I do).  That was worse than anything.  (Sorry SWB.  I will grovel at your feet tomorrow.)  So I backed off.  I worked on reading comprehension and the short bits of writing required to convey that.  Then this year I drew my line in the sand.  At 10th grade it was now or never to start to actually write.  Renai and Quackersh were holding my hand in text while dd had a couple of epic tantrums while I steadfastly refused to budge.  So she started to give me written work.  At first I read it but did not grade it.  Then I only corrected spelling and grammar (though she's always been pretty good on that score).  We've been doing school for five months now and this is the first time I've started to work on actual form.  But she's also been naturally improving without my help. 

• Like 6

He hears you but he thinks, "of course she'd say to read, but I can figure this out myself. I'm not stupid." Or, "This is so simple I don't need to read it. I'm  not stupid."

But how many times does he need to be told he did it wrong before it will sink in that when I tell him to read the instructions, he should read the instructions?

Anyhow, where can I sign him up to go herd sheep?

• Like 1

The argument is, that reading takes a lot more effort than figuring it out himself, so not complying and trying to just hack it is his preferred method.

He hears you but he thinks, "of course she'd say to read, but I can figure this out myself. I'm not stupid." Or, "This is so simple I don't need to read it. I'm not stupid."

It's not verbal ability per se but the effort required to verbalize the instructions or to process the requirements verbally. He can do it, but his brain isn't there right now.

Instructions are boring. Figuring things out is fun. Compliance is rote. Guessing is interesting.

I have one who I think is like this. At least the first part of what you said. I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t think he necessarily loves figuring things out, but it requires a lot of effort to read instructions, read and figure out anything, so he wings it, hoping I wonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t notice.
  • Like 1

I have one who I think is like this. At least the first part of what you said. I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t think he necessarily loves figuring things out, but it requires a lot of effort to read instructions, read and figure out anything, so he wings it, hoping I wonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t notice.

Let me guess... the high school freshman?

Oh, and when is this "will stop talking" thing supposed to kick in? Because when he was almost non-verbal and I wished for him to talk, they told me I'd probably regret that at some point, and they weren't entirely wrong, lol. 

ETA: he's quite the chatterbox.

Edited by luuknam

But how many times does he need to be told he did it wrong before it will sink in that when I tell him to read the instructions, he should read the instructions?

But he doesn't care if he gets it wrong. The fun is in the problem solving. So it's not how many times. He'll just have to do it until it's right. Or you could just give him a 2 and move on, then spring it on him in the summer. "You're repeating everything that gets a 2, so here we go, let's do it all again." For someone on the autism spectrum, he'd probably never for get that lol.

Does it bother you so much when you are solving a Rubiks cube that you can't get it right, that you look up the solution?  Of course not! That would be giving up! No, you're going to figure this thing out.

And I am still working on setting my "send your tween boy to herd sheep" camp idea. Maybe I'll retire doing that. Sending preteen boys out to herd small ruminants. Every night they will come back and I will send them to sleep reading them classical tales. When their brains wake up, we will send them back to the academies.

It's a pedantic pro-neurodiversity booyah!  :smash: 

Edited by Tsuga
  • Like 5

Okay, so, what's the recommendation? Send the kid to herd sheep until the beginning of 9th grade, at which point he'll magically be ready for high school?

That is actually my only workable solution.

Or I tell people what my mom did: let me fail. Let me suffer the consequences of repeating homework and classes and she just braced herself for my future life on the street.

Luckily, severe natural consequences did not crush my indomitable spirit, and I found something bigger than my mom to fight with: the whole world.

Letting me fail was the best thing my mom ever did for me. Failing in middle school was a gift: it was far less consequential than failing in high school.

So I'm all for, grade him fairly, let him fail, and have him repeat the classes until he passes. If you tire of it, send him to outside courses. Now is the time for him to hit a wall. Not later.

Also, am I the only person here who doesn't remember anything from middle school? Like, I get the point that it's all building towards something, but I feel like besides algebra I don't remember anything at all. I did have one teacher who looked like Ursula the Sea Witch, and another teacher who had six fingers! 

That's yet another reason I wouldn't worry. It's a spiral, so you'll repeat everything later. If he doesn't absorb it but subconsciously I feel like, isn't that enough?

For real, do any of you remember anything? Is it just me?

• Like 1

To quote Queen Ellie, "At least one more time."

My boys were getting good at reading instructions around fourth grade. They got a little stubborn in late fifth and sixth and sort of plateaued. They are now forgetting how to read the carefully written daily schedule list, and need instructions read through with them on a near daily basis some weeks.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

Also, I have no sheep, but I have chickens that need herding. The rooster is mean. Have him bring rubber boots and a broom.

• Like 3

I remember middle school. I was at school at home, having not been a good fit for the private school where I was bored out of my skull and miserable socially. Most days I finished my work at six in the evening because I would put off the hardest stuff for a long time. I read my literature books when I was supposed to be doing pre-algebra. The only book we had for that was Saxon. I was convinced I would die of math before I reached high-school. I cried a lot. I wrote very bad poetry and worse short stories. I read the library--I swear, that's what it felt like. I wandered the neighborhood and found places where I could be alone to just sit and think. 

Somehow I came out of it. 

Come to think of it, I probably didn't read any instructions either.

• Like 5