Menu

Ignore this thread!

Poop. I'm outta likes!

💗💗💗 Hi Prairie!!! 💗💗💗 Oh, do you ever have your hands full! I've been there with the work layoffs and dh having to take up the slack. We're about to go through it again. (At least I am not caring for sick elderlies as well!) (((Prairie & Family)))

• Like 3

We like our dermatologist, too. FIL recommended her. He especially gets a giggle out of the highly girly, fancy decor there. Feels like a European-ish day spa, he says. It is definitely quiet and calming!

My dermatologist is just a regular doctor's office, but Dr. S is very down to earth and business like. She's very sweet, but very confident. She inspires trust, which is good because my life is literally in her hands. I think she does all the cancer people, since everyone I've recommended to to her ends up with someone else in the practice and I have only seen her, even for my annual screenings, which most people just see a PA.
  • Like 4

I'd love to have a nap today--DST has been killing me!

Allergies have been bad here, too. I ended up buying a HEPA filter air purifier, but most of us still look like we have been beaten up by the neighborhood gang with our black eyes and swollen faces.  RX medicine has not been enough this year.

Pi day...gotta think of a low carb way to do that. hmmmm......bacon pie? Is that a thing?

Man, those seasonal allergies are terrible. Y'all have my sympathy! :grouphug:

I see no reason that bacon pie should not be a thing. Because bacon.

• Like 3

Last Friday, the weather here was warm and balmy. Most of the team members putting on the retreat dressed for warm, balmy weather.

But Texas.

It was cold and RAINY all day Saturday. Umbrellas appeared miraculously...well, maybe not miraculously, because Texas...but we were still cold and wet. We all (19 team members, 36 participants) slept on-site at the church (team in one building, participants in another). I was cold all night. I was also in pain, because hips and camp cot. We didn't turn lights out until about 12:30, and we had to get up around 4:30 so we could be ready for the participants around 5:30, because breakfast at 6. I must have slept some, but I was aware of the cold and hard all night. I forgot to take my Aleve before going to bed. I did volunteer for this but still...

On the up side, because good thyroid meds, I am rebounding. I've been productive this morning, taking care of random paperwork related to the retreat, tidying up my choir music stuff which had been shoved into the basket where I keep it, because getting ready for retreat. I should have called the chiro right away this morning; I called at noon, and the office is closed from noon t 2. Trying to decide whether I should go shopping first then chiro, or wait until chiro and then go. #thestruggleisreal

I have not ketched up. Thinking about doing that, though...

• Like 6

Chicken pot pie with biscuits on top?  And BACON?!?  We're coming over!    :auto:

I don't know! I'm making it up as I go along. Basically, I'm going to make a gravy using bacon, cooked chicken and the broth that came from cooking the chicken. I'm going to thicken it with GF flour, and use some milk in it. Then I'm going to mix in the remaining chicken, some boiled potatoes, and some frozen corn. Then I'll put that all in a pie plate and top it with the GF biscuits which I'll let bake on top of the filling. Or I might partially bake the biscuits and then top the filling with them. 

We'll see if that all comes out correctly.

ETA: It's a cooking improvisation Booyah!

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 3

Last Friday, the weather here was warm and balmy. Most of the team members putting on the retreat dressed for warm, balmy weather.

But Texas.

It was cold and RAINY all day Saturday. Umbrellas appeared miraculously...well, maybe not miraculously, because Texas...but we were still cold and wet. We all (19 team members, 36 participants) slept on-site at the church (team in one building, participants in another). I was cold all night. I was also in pain, because hips and camp cot. We didn't turn lights out until about 12:30, and we had to get up around 4:30 so we could be ready for the participants around 5:30, because breakfast at 6. I must have slept some, but I was aware of the cold and hard all night. I forgot to take my Aleve before going to bed. I did volunteer for this but still...

On the up side, because good thyroid meds, I am rebounding. I've been productive this morning, taking care of random paperwork related to the retreat, tidying up my choir music stuff which had been shoved into the basket where I keep it, because getting ready for retreat. I should have called the chiro right away this morning; I called at noon, and the office is closed from noon t 2. Trying to decide whether I should go shopping first then chiro, or wait until chiro and then go. #thestruggleisreal

:grouphug:

:hurray: for meds.  Better living through Chemistry.

• Like 5

Here is how I've adapted the apple pandowdy for GF. I sliced up 2 Golden Delicious apples and 2 Granny Smith apples (enough for my deep-dish pie plate). Then I mixed 1/2 cup of brown sugar, the zest from one lemon and 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract together and tossed the apples with it. I put a dash of salt with it, too. Then I topped the apples with 3 tbsp of butter, cut up and just put on top. Covered the plate with foil and now I'm baking it at 425 for about 30 minutes until things are hot and soft. Then I'm going pull the plate and drop my rolled GF pie crust on top of it and bake it for another 15 to 20 minutes or so, just until the crust (with the cinnamon sugar) is baked through. GF pie crusts are so delicate that I don't see them standing up to a traditional long baking time. My crust might get unbearably soggy, especially after I score the crust and dunk it. 

I think this will work--we will see.

This is also why the biscuits generally need to be baked before you put them on the chicken pot pie. GF biscuits get soggy fast, so they need to be at least partially cooked before putting them on filling.

• Like 4

But Texas.

:grouphug:

You have been productive.  I hope you get to the chiro soon, and can sleep tonight.

It's also nap day, so perhaps a nap after chiro?

• Like 1

Dear friend, you are not on "hold," you are on "ignore."

It would seem that way. But, it IS Monday, and I hadn't actually yet reached a person. In the end, it took an hour and 3 minutes before I got someone on the phone.  :svengo: My issue took 5 minutes to figure out and another 5 to fix. And it was all my fault.  :sad:  :thumbdown:  :sneaky2:  :svengo:

• Like 3

I'm back. There was a henky mole, but it is no more. It is on the way to the lab. I love my dermatologist. And I got to sit in the waiting room a while and drink COFFEE and read my Susan Branch book and chuckle because it is such an entertaining book. I really need to move to Martha's Vineyard and fix up a tiny cottage and have three cats.

Krissi, how do you get started with those checks?  Just call them up and say that you want them to look you over? 

• Like 1

Krissi, how do you get started with those checks? Just call them up and say that you want them to look you over?

Well, I did it the "easy" way... no checks directly to cancer. My cousin saw a funny mole on my ankle a a swim party and said to get it checked out. So, my GP took it off, biopsied it and it was melanoma. Fortunately, the margins were clean. I was referred to this doctor, she did surgery on my ankle and I've been seeing her ever since. Dh did self-refer. He just called them up. He sees a PA every year.
  • Like 3

It would seem that way. But, it IS Monday, and I hadn't actually yet reached a person. In the end, it took an hour and 3 minutes before I got someone on the phone.  :svengo: My issue took 5 minutes to figure out and another 5 to fix. And it was all my fault.  :sad:  :thumbdown:  :sneaky2:  :svengo:

:grouphug:  :grouphug:

It's still frustrating, though, to be caught in the Monday muddle.  I'm glad it's fixed.

• Like 3

Krissi, how do you get started with those checks?  Just call them up and say that you want them to look you over? 

That's pretty much what we did.  I called in and said I wanted skin checks for my two kids and myself, to check out some moles, give some acne advice, and generally as a baseline check for future reference.  

• Like 2

Maybe Papa John's will have a Pi day special.  They email me all the time with specials.  If not, there's always Little Caesar's Pizza for $5.  (Pizza, Pizza!)

I actually like Little Caesar's but it doesn't like me.  I get really bad gas when I eat it, for some reason.

Back at my first college, in MN, there was a guys' campus and a girls' campus (convent and monastery involved, basically two schools that shared classes).  Our TINY town actually had two pizza places, but one got most of the business.  The owner was quite smart, and sent delivery guys to the girls' campus and delivery girls to the guys' campus.  The deliverers always got really good tips.  When they got slammed the owner himself would deliver pizzas, and would take any tips he got and share them out among the pizza crew.  

My Mom used to live near this one place, Edwardo's, that made stuffed pizzas -- two crusts.  My favorite of their pies was the broccoli and walnut stuffed pizza.  They also made a very nice tomato, basil, mozzarella salad.

In my Colorado college days there was one pizza place my BFF and I preferred.  They had all of the usual ingredients, plus chicken before it became a thing on pizza, artichoke hearts, banana peppers, green olives as well as black -- you name a veggie, and if they had time and didn't have it they would get some from the store and add it on (or at least it seemed like it).  We would get broccoli for texture and body, artichoke hearts for tang, green olives for more tang, and banana peppers (just a few) for a bit of bite.  We didn't even have to say who we were or where to bring it -- they knew us just from our order.  Besides, my friend's trailer park was at the other end of their parking lot.  Talk about a pie piping hot on delivery!

These reminiscences in honor and anticipation of tomorrow.   :drool5:

• Like 4

The apple pandowdy smells good. :drool5:

Pandowdy might have to wait here for another week.  I had real intentions, but at the store I found the little mini Marie C's pies: key lime, chocolate silk, banana cream.  I bought one package (two pies) of each, which will be more than enough to go along with the Marie C's chicken pot pies I bought.  Oh, and mini quiches for breakfast.

Now I have no excuse for not getting more of the floor grout cleaned tomorrow.  *sigh*

• Like 2

That's doable! You just have to be careful working the dough down over the peaches.

What do you think of trying a betty?  Classic is apple brown betty, but a betty can be made with most any fruit, it seems.  Think GF bread crumbs might work in a betty?

• Like 1

What do you think of trying a betty?  Classic is apple brown betty, but a betty can be made with most any fruit, it seems.  Think GF bread crumbs might work in a betty?

Boy, I don't know about that. GF bread crumbs are temperamental little beasts. You should see what I go through to make Chicken Parm.

• Like 1

The biscuits on the chicken pot pie were excellent, and the pie itself was exceedingly tasty. The apple pandowdy was so good that we ate all but one tiny little serving, and I'm reserving that for my breakfast on Pi day. :001_smile:

Speaking of recipes to adapt to GF, I really want to work over Pouding au Chomeur. I love that stuff. So yummy on a cold winter day.

• Like 3

The biscuits on the chicken pot pie were excellent, and the pie itself was exceedingly tasty. The apple pandowdy was so good that we ate all but one tiny little serving, and I'm reserving that for my breakfast on Pi day. :001_smile:

Speaking of recipes to adapt to GF, I really want to work over Pouding au Chomeur. I love that stuff. So yummy on a cold winter day.

Interesting!  I wikipedia'd it.  Do you do the cake batter version or the stale bread version?

There ought to be some good tweaks possible with that idea, perhaps something using some fruit flavoring in the syrup.  Oooo, perhaps using a blackberry syrup....

This is bad.  I'm supposed to be reducing my sugar intake, not finding new venues for it!

• Like 1