Menu

Ignore this thread!

Ooooooo I just found out my sister may have gotten a job with a business based in Waco, TX that you have probably heard of but I can't say until she definitely has the job. It's not Baylor University or the Branch Davidians. :D

Oh, she would be close to me!! And maybe neighbors with Chip and JoJo!

• Like 1

Good Monday Morning!  I have two going to outside classes today and one going for preliminary stuff before his school starts Wednesday.  The youngest two will start for real tomorrow.  

COFFEE!!!

Krissi, glad you had a good visit with your adoption group friends!

Is it much different than 3rd edition?

Yes and No.  It's not a whole new thing, or drastically different recommendations, but I think it is enjoyably different.  There's more breathing room for doing things this way or that way, as long as you keep xyz in mind as overall goal.  I really like what I've read so far.  (Disclosure - I'm still in the grammar stage section.)  I do think it's the best of the four so far.

• Like 6

Is it much different than 3rd edition?

• I noticed some spots where SWB & JW were intentional about clearing up misconceptions, and I liked that. (There are still recommended schedules; I hope people will take those as loosely as I think they're meant, because the early grades' numbers look high to me. Then again, I've never timed what we do.)
  • I'd hoped for ISBNs for easy online searching for books this time, but they didn't include them. Not a big deal. Maybe the next edition will skip right to QR codes.
  • I felt some slight dismay at some grammar stage curriculum recommendations (including three things I've used and felt were really not that good) and omissions (a couple of things I really thought deserved a mention, Logic of English Foundations especially).
  • There are updated & more detailed explanations for the different stages of learning, the folly of trying to move ahead before the child is ready, and exactly how to get started teaching reading. This will be really good for folks planning preK-1st in particular.
  • I sticky-flagged a bunch of the pages of content-area supplementary books/materials, because I think those will be very useful, as they were in the 3rd edition.
  • Like 4

I'm tired, but I think caffeine should kick in soon. Got a full day of summer school planned, writing and some housekeeping (today is my 1.5 hours-2 rooms and a bathroom) but I'm not cooking today. It remains cloudy and warm, but not hot. I'm divided--I love the weather now, but I dread what will happen when the sun gets back. It's going to be like living in a steamer for weeks.

• Like 4

Good morning.

Ds21 and I talked a long time this morning after he got home from work. He is about to begin some training which will probably lead to advancement in his profession. He will definitely have more duties in his current position such as transporting prisoners and making arrests and more such things. He is excited to begin his class and is already training with a couple of instructors with target practice. I'm happy he likes what he is doing, but I worry, of course. I asked him this morning if he feels like all people are bad or non-trustworthy after working with prisoners all the time, and he said yes. He said he is not comfortable being out in the general public. I understand why he feels that way, but I wish he didn't. For the most part, I think all people are good. Mostly. But he has had ex-prisoners approach him in public, and start a conversation which makes him uncomfortable. I would be too. I'm proud of him, very much. We had a good talk.

So I need to get started with school.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

• Like 8

Good morning!

COFFEE!

Well, today is DS's first day of school. Eighth grade. Ugh! He's a nervous wreck. But he looks good. They're having Mass today so he has to wear a dress shirt and tie. Boy, that is one of the things I love about Catholic school. I wish this school went all the way to high school, but it's only to 8th grade. :( We're still tryng to figure out what to do about him for high school. Public school is absolutely not an option. Our town's high school is awful. The Catholic high school is in the Big City and it's expensive. There is a private Christian school that we will likely send him to. I actually graduated there and taught there, but we are not thrilled about it. Sigh!

Anyhow, we're off,

• Like 6

I am wanting to make a weather station for a school science experiment. I have researched some, but I'm not finding what I want. A kit with all the parts and pieces would be nice, but I don't want cheap, flimsy parts. I don't want an electronic station. And I don't want to spend a great deal. No more than $40-$50. Getting by cheaper would be great, even using some recyclables is good. But I want it to last. Any ideas?

• Like 3

So, I'm wondering.  Should I just leave Rocky outside at night?  The nighttime lows are in the 60's right now so he wouldn't get cold.  And he isn't barking once I put him out after he's woken me up in the middle of the night.  Or should I put in earplugs and just ignore him to extinguish the behavior?  Only the one time I tried that he barked for an hour and I couldn't stand it.  If only he could tell me why he's barking.  One time he was incontinent but he hasn't been any of the other times. 

I want a solution that is best for Rocky and yet still lets me sleep. 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 3

Dawn, I'm not qualified to recommend a thing for science, lol.

Jean, I would try leaving Rocky out and see how it goes. Does he sleep crated? My last resort would be to crate him in the garage if he would be comfortable that way and if it doesn't seem cruel. Our dog lives outside all the time. Sometimes he barks at night, but usually stops if I call him or tap on the window.

Krissi, hope ds has a great first day back. I hear you on not-great options.

• Like 3

Dawn, I'm not qualified to recommend a thing for science, lol.

Jean, I would try leaving Rocky out and see how it goes. Does he sleep crated? My last resort would be to crate him in the garage if he would be comfortable that way and if it doesn't seem cruel. Our dog lives outside all the time. Sometimes he barks at night, but usually stops if I call him or tap on the window.

Krissi, hope ds has a great first day back. I hear you on not-great options.

He sleeps crated down in our schoolroom.  He's been fine being crated at night for 13 years.  I don't know what has all of a sudden caused this.  Doggy dementia?  He's now deaf.  So calling him won't work! 

• Like 2

Me:  DD, go start your laundry.

DD:  I took on doing my OWN laundry so I could do it when I like and when it's not a bother to me.

Me:  We have discussed this before.  You have wanted a day (Mondays!) reserved for you to do your laundry, but you also want the flexibility to do it on whatever day you want.  You can't have it both ways.  You have to work with others who also need to use the machines and schedule your time slot.  Set X of days of the week I have less opportunity to run laundry, so I need set Y of days left open.  Daddy runs his laundry on weekends.  Some of set X are days you don't want to have a huge pile of laundry screaming for your attention because of <specific> activities.  GO RUN YOUR LAUNDRY. 

Apparently parental reminders of agreements already made are just more "interference" and "impositions on her independence".  Ah, teens!

• Like 6

It's Monday!

I have had coffee but I need more!

It looks like they will finish repaving our neighborhood today, finally finally. It was tricky getting in and out of here this morning to bring dh to work and dds to the orthodontist because the trucks and machines were all hanging out right in front of our driveway.

AMJ, I am with you on the laundry issue! And don't complain about having no clean clothes or towels if you don't bother to do your laundry when you are supposed to!

We have a new family member - an aloe plant named Alonzo.

• Like 6

:seeya:

Phew!  The dc are breaking from the Olympics to eat lunch.  We've been enjoying it, but it's hard to keep up with everything else.

Also, ds15 decided he wanted to play soccer this year.  He has practice 4 days a week, so I've been driving a lot.

• Like 5

I finally figured out how to use the delay timer on the IP. Now I can stick frozen soup in there in the morning and won't have to remember to turn on the slow cooker before we leave for choir! Yay for the Instant Pot.

Also, it is true that IP hard boiled eggs are always easy to peel. Always, always. It's a Good Thing.

• Like 3

It is raining here!!!!! And in the 70s!!!! We are taking frequent breaks from school to play outside. I swept off the covered porch this morning and dragged all of our chairs from there out onto the open deck for a free wash down.

I am on my second load of laundry, and the bathrooms have been scrubbed down.

I agree with Ellie; yay Mondays!

• Like 8

Weekend was good.  We went to Havre de Grace yesterday for a family outing.  No reason.  Really cool thunderstorm on the way home.  The sky was lighting up like a strobe light, or rather like mini radioactive bombs going off on the horizon.  It was weird and cool at the same time.

Back to work today.  I have nothing good to say about that.  Still hating my new desk location.  We found new desks, and the VP in charge okayed it - but he wants to wait until his admin gets back from vacation next week, to run it by her first.  :huh:  :confused1: Apparently he can't make the decision without her input?  Really?  You are a VP.  Make a decision already.

• Like 6

I've been thinking about your barking dog problem, Jean. Short term, I'd look at a citronella bark collar, but I don't know how that would affect you. Citronella is a pretty potent smell, but dogs don't like it, and it could be what you are looking for to stop the barking behavior.

But I'd also spend some time looking into whatever is interrupting his sleep. With an older dog, the first thing I would wonder about is his bladder or bowels. Is he finding that he needs to go out at night? Is there a problem with his kidneys--enough that he's no longer able to urinate before bed and get through until morning? A urinalysis might be the best test to pick that up (specific gravity, protein in the urine). 

Another thing I'd look at is pain. Is it possible that the crate he's used to is no longer adequate for stretching out, or comfortable enough for his joints? Is he on medication for pain? Is he sore in the mornings? A dog that is waking up because he's feeling stiff and uncomfortable might well bark because he's wide awake, or because he doesn't have any other way to say he's ouchy. He might be the kind of dog who kind of needs a doggy pain medication before bedtime to help him rest.

Also look at windows, doors, anywhere he could wake up and see shadows. If he's simply getting wakeful at night, he's bound to look for a reason to be up, and barking at the evil shadow that might come and kill us all could provide him some degree of a reason for being up.

• Like 3

I've been thinking about your barking dog problem, Jean. Short term, I'd look at a citronella bark collar, but I don't know how that would affect you. Citronella is a pretty potent smell, but dogs don't like it, and it could be what you are looking for to stop the barking behavior.

But I'd also spend some time looking into whatever is interrupting his sleep. With an older dog, the first thing I would wonder about is his bladder or bowels. Is he finding that he needs to go out at night? Is there a problem with his kidneys--enough that he's no longer able to urinate before bed and get through until morning? A urinalysis might be the best test to pick that up (specific gravity, protein in the urine). 

Another thing I'd look at is pain. Is it possible that the crate he's used to is no longer adequate for stretching out, or comfortable enough for his joints? Is he on medication for pain? Is he sore in the mornings? A dog that is waking up because he's feeling stiff and uncomfortable might well bark because he's wide awake, or because he doesn't have any other way to say he's ouchy. He might be the kind of dog who kind of needs a doggy pain medication before bedtime to help him rest.

Also look at windows, doors, anywhere he could wake up and see shadows. If he's simply getting wakeful at night, he's bound to look for a reason to be up, and barking at the evil shadow that might come and kill us all could provide him some degree of a reason for being up.

Good points.  I had thought of a possible UTI type of a thing but hadn't thought of painful joints.  I will pursue that first before the bark collar.  He was up for a couple nights in a row.  Then just when I was going to make an appointment for him, he slept all night quietly for two weeks and I thought that it was a fluke.  But then it started up again.   Le sigh. 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 4

If you catch a morning urine sample on the day of his appointment and bring it with you in a clean container you will make some veterinarian very happy.

ETA: It may not be infection, either. As dogs age, kidney function can decline enough to the point that they just don't concentrate their urine as they used to do. It isn't enough to make them look like kidney issue dogs, but the first thing that might pick them up is waking up to urinate in the middle of the night. They have normal sphincters, but they have a full bladder, and what are they going to do? They're going to bark. They may or may not be drinking more at this point in their dysfunction, and it could still vary from day to day as to how well they hold it overnight. That's why the urine specific gravity and protein quantification in urine is pretty important. And why I love it when owners bring me a urine sample when they bring in an older dog for a problem.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 2

:seeya:

End of summer rush here.  Bleh.

Renai:  I haven't forgotten you.

I am almost 400 posts behind.  :svengo:

:grouphug:  and blow.gif

I haven't forgotten either. I really haven't been around much. 

Better get to work catching up on all those posts. It's important that you read everything.

I started work today. I have also decided that the babysitting arrangement for Gymnast is not going to work.

This weekend, I increased my step goal. I'm almost there. 

• Like 4

Good morning.

Ds21 and I talked a long time this morning after he got home from work. He is about to begin some training which will probably lead to advancement in his profession. He will definitely have more duties in his current position such as transporting prisoners and making arrests and more such things. He is excited to begin his class and is already training with a couple of instructors with target practice. I'm happy he likes what he is doing, but I worry, of course. I asked him this morning if he feels like all people are bad or non-trustworthy after working with prisoners all the time, and he said yes. He said he is not comfortable being out in the general public. I understand why he feels that way, but I wish he didn't. For the most part, I think all people are good. Mostly. But he has had ex-prisoners approach him in public, and start a conversation which makes him uncomfortable. I would be too. I'm proud of him, very much. We had a good talk.

So I need to get started with school.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

That's interesting that your ds21 feels that way. But, I worked in the prison system with juveniles and not adults. I haven't had ex-prisoners approach me because I've moved away. I don't generally feel uncomfortable around excons either, too much, but that may be because I'm older. I'm also more of an encourager, so reminding them of having support systems in place and people they can trust to help them stay out of the cycle has come up in conversations. Apparently, I am also a conversationalist.  :lol:

• Like 4

I finally figured out how to use the delay timer on the IP. Now I can stick frozen soup in there in the morning and won't have to remember to turn on the slow cooker before we leave for choir! Yay for the Instant Pot.

Also, it is true that IP hard boiled eggs are always easy to peel. Always, always. It's a Good Thing.

Our IP is quickly becoming a beloved member of the family.

• Like 3

I am wanting to make a weather station for a school science experiment. I have researched some, but I'm not finding what I want. A kit with all the parts and pieces would be nice, but I don't want cheap, flimsy parts. I don't want an electronic station. And I don't want to spend a great deal. No more than $40-$50. Getting by cheaper would be great, even using some recyclables is good. But I want it to last. Any ideas?

Googling "diy weather station for kids" got several results, including http://stayathomemoms.about.com/od/educational-activities/a/Make-A-Home-Weather-Station.htm .  I haven't tried any of these, but these look more affordable than the Raspberry Pi and Arduino weather station instructions that came up when I left the "for kids" off of the googling.

• Like 3

I don't mind Mondays! But today everyone is dragging! And it's supposed to be hot and the air quality is supposed to be just nasty!

I worked by butt off at personal training and now I can't seem to do anything buy lay on the couch.  I am down 5 lbs since starting personal training, though, and my clothes are a bit looser.

But I don't want to fix supper.  Someone else do it, please.  And hand me the remote -- it's 3 inches past my reach.  And I need a glass of water.

• Like 4

How are you cooking the eggs in the IP?  Pressured?  Simply steamed?  Strange, unheard of ingredients that magically make that membrane disappear?

• Like 2

I just got an email telling me that one of my brothers has cancer. 

Dang it!  Will your family ever catch a break?

Lots of hugs to your brother, and we'll see what we can marshall up in the Dreamland brigade to try to help knock down the cancer.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 3

If you catch a morning urine sample on the day of his appointment and bring it with you in a clean container you will make some veterinarian very happy.

ETA: It may not be infection, either. As dogs age, kidney function can decline enough to the point that they just don't concentrate their urine as they used to do. It isn't enough to make them look like kidney issue dogs, but the first thing that might pick them up is waking up to urinate in the middle of the night. They have normal sphincters, but they have a full bladder, and what are they going to do? They're going to bark. They may or may not be drinking more at this point in their dysfunction, and it could still vary from day to day as to how well they hold it overnight. That's why the urine specific gravity and protein quantification in urine is pretty important. And why I love it when owners bring me a urine sample when they bring in an older dog for a problem.

So, how would a dog owner manage to get a urine sample?

• Like 1

So, how would a dog owner manage to get a urine sample?

I find that a soup ladle with a long handle works well for most dogs. Males are easier than females, and sometimes a measuring cup works quite well for them.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 2