Menu

Ignore this thread!

I learned that if I dab concealer on the upper inside portions of where my eye and nose meet as well as on my under eye and under my eyebrow that I look like I am alive and almost awake. I have the allergy black eye/on my deathbed look going on otherwise.

I am still working on looking younger, so if you figure that out, let me know.

• Like 3

I learned that if I dab concealer on the upper inside portions of where my eye and nose meet as well as on my under eye and under my eyebrow that I look like I am alive and almost awake. I have the allergy black eye/on my deathbed look going on otherwise.

Concealer is really great. When I got the injection in my eyeball I got a shiner that traveled all the way down the right side of my face and stayed for a couple of weeks. Concealer covered most of it!
  • Like 1

I want the skinnier, younger non-deathbed look. But I don't want to put any effort into it at all.

When we figure that one out. We will have our squillions. :D

You know, I don't mind a little effort. I just want payoff for that effort. Actually, I am willing to put in moderate effort. But, I want some results. I have put in maximum effort in recent years and have seen no results. At all.
  • Like 3

My aunt is 12 years younger than my mom, but my mom looks younger because my mom colors her gray and styles her hair. My aunt has gray hair that she just kind of pulls back. And she could be attractive. She dresses nice, hasn't put on weight or anything, but it's the hair!

Bad news. Our van engine is toast and it would cost $8000 to fix it. Anyone want to buy a Ford E350 that needs a new engine but has brand spankin' new tires? I think I'm going to be sick.

If the engine is bad, here is a thought: call your area junk yards* and ask if they have your year, make and model of van with a good engine. Ask how many miles and if there is a warranty. Usually you can find a good used engine for a fraction of the price. Some will even offer a 30 day guarantee or possibly longer.

*junk yards can usually be found in the yellow pages under automotive/ parts/ used. Good parts can be found from wrecked vehicles or a vehicle someone just didn't want anymore.

My Dh mechanics in his spare time for friends and family. He has done this several times.

• Like 3

My aunt is 12 years younger than my mom, but my mom looks younger because my mom colors her gray and styles her hair. My aunt has gray hair that she just kind of pulls back. And she could be attractive. She dresses nice, hasn't put on weight or anything, but it's the hair!

This is me except that I have the weight too.  But no chemicals, yo.  I have enough trouble with the chemicals around me in daily life without putting some directly on me.  People are going to have to deal with me actually looking my age.  I have life experience and it shows. 

• Like 5

Susan, our tire place had free 30 day returns. Are you still in that window?

The tires are 2 days old, but the shop says they don't take returns. He said he'll work with us on the labor costs - it will cost $800 for the labor costs of taking the engine out and putting it back in.

If the engine is bad, here is a thought: call your area junk yards* and ask if they have your year, make and model of van with a good engine. Ask how many miles and if there is a warranty. Usually you can find a good used engine for a fraction of the price. Some will even offer a 30 day guarantee or possibly longer.

*junk yards can usually be found in the yellow pages under automotive/ parts/ used. Good parts can be found from wrecked vehicles or a vehicle someone just didn't want anymore.

My Dh mechanics in his spare time for friends and family. He has done this several times.

That's a good idea - we will check around. We also have a recently retired friend who loves to dabble in cars and bargain hunt and is bored to tears - this might be just the project for him!

• Like 5

*sigh*

Note to family:

• A closed dishwasher is NOT an impenetrable barrier, and Mom is NOT the only person in the world (or household) capable of getting past it.
  • An open dishwasher is NOT an exercise in training dishes to sit and stay.
  • Dishes are NOT ambulatory, nor are they interested in creating new and creative biology experiments.  They do NOT fill themselves with food, nor do they run and hide beneath beds, desks, dirty laundry, or anyplace else dishes and food are not supposed to be.
  • So long as no one is willing to routinely take on the task of loading and unloading the dishwasher AND putting the clean dishes away Mom WILL assign the task as needed to whomever she feels should do it at the time.
  • So long as Mom finds food and dishes where they should not be Mom WILL lecture AT LENGTH at EACH "opportunity".  Avoidance of such lectures is easy -- simply don't take food and/or dishes into the areas they are not supposed to be.  We will repeat this exercise in basic logic as necessary, ad nauseum if need be.

Thank you, and enjoy what's left of your summer.

Hi, everyone!  NOT ketchupped -- I have a few days' worth of posts to read through for that, but it will have to wait until later.  I hope everyone is doing okay.  Hugs for everyone just in case and just because.   :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 9

Yep. Sam and Cat, anyone?

Not on my TV.

Spongebob, Barney the dinosaur, Boobah,....

I never heard of Sam and Cat.  I take it I'm not missing anything critical, am I?

• Like 2

I let my kids watch old Mickey, old Loony Tunes, The Magic School Bus, and Bernstein Bears on YouTube. They used to watch Mickey Mouse Clubhouse which wasn't bad at all, but not as good as what they watch now.

Not that they watch much of anything. We spend most of our time reciting poetry and oil painting in the woods behind our cabin.

With Wiggles, Blue's Clues, Dora the Explorer (earlier shows), Little Bear, Bear In the Big Blue House, and the occasional Fraggle Rock we have been able to avoid actual Mickey Mouse shows.  Donald Duck's temper tantrums can be cathartic, but Mickey's falsetto voice just grates on my eardrums.  I never did like his voice.  The character is okay, but I just can't take the voice.  

Now that the kids are older and choose their own shows to watch I am getting exposed to several slow-motion-train-wreck Disney shows.  They have few redeeming qualities, but they are mesmerizing.  You can see the next development coming a mile away, but somehow you just. can't. stop. watching.

After becoming familiar with melodrama, however, the kids are just as quick as I am to declare someone is overacting their part, not just in the Disney shows but in various Star Trek spinoffs, too.   :laugh:

• Like 4

Ds actually made something like that a couple of years ago.  We then ended up trashing it and getting a portable a/c that worked much better. 

We had bought a portable a/c for DH's grandmother when she was still living in her house.  It worked well and allowed her to take the a/c to whichever room she was going to be in for a while.  It sat on wheels on the floor so she didn't have to move much, just needed to open a window for the tube.

The cooler idea, though, looks like it would be great for camping or other outdoor areas away from outlets.  Just think of having something like that at the beach, or cooling a stall at a Farmer's Market, or taking the edge off the heat in a tent or camper.

Hmm, I wonder if this would be safe to run inside a car unattended.  It's the power supply and lines I'd wonder about, not the coolant.  Wouldn't it be nice to return to the car after shopping or appointments and NOT have to burn your hands on steering wheels and seat belt buckles or manage multitudes of towels or blankets thrown about to cover everything?

The Olympics are giving me my usual existential crisis.  I cheer for the US most of the time but if the US is competing against Japan, then I'm torn. 

If I have time to watch any events I'll cheer for all of the athletes, especially underdogs.  I tell all of them "good job!" and give them imaginary pats on the back.  After all, they are ALL doing stuff I never could.

• Like 3

I spent a bit of time this evening emptying our home email inbox of about 12,000 emails from the past 3 years. Some I saved to pertinent files, but most were just thrown out. Email konmari.

I bet that took a while.  I have to do that, too, but I also have to go through all of the folders I had created over the years to see if that stuff still needs to be kept, too.  As I go through incoming stuff I'll hit the unsubscribe button from time to time, too, to try to reduce the amount of stuff I have to cull through.

I have noticed that if I delete emails through my phone they don't always actually go away -- instead they reappear in my inbox hours later.  To make sure something actually goes I end up having to do it on the computer, which means I have to remember to do it when I am home and on the computer.

• Like 1

Awesome video!

We made it to all of the places yesterday, and then I went to the grocery store at 10pm when it finally fell below 100F so that I could go to the grocery store without my sandals melting to the asphalt or without my hands needing skin grafts after touching the steering wheel.

My dd's are off to play with baby kittens with the neighbors while oldest works on a microscope lab.

• Like 4

On GF chocolate chip cookies just out of the oven: Wow! :drool5:

Can you make some low in sugar and post the recipe, please?  I got the confirmation from my doctor the other day:  I am diabetic.  

Caffeine, baby. Yeah!

I'm going to go waterfalling. It's hot. I may regret it. But I've got my cool house and dark hole to crawl back to, so I'll probably be fine. I have a conundrum. A character that seriously left this story a very long time ago (I wrote the very first inception of the story some fifteen years or more ago!) showed up last night. Well, she had a cameo, in that I used her name for a possibly throw away character--but evidently her name sparked something for the antagonist and he just came to life when she was there in some way. Last night she had a run in with the protagonist, and she did something to him too---he pitied her, and that was something I didn't expect. Bottom line, I think she's there for a reason, and I want to run with it for a while. 

But I didn't expect revision to include figuring out an entirely new and different character (because she's not quite the same thing she was years ago). I don't even have a character profile for this person! I've got some idea of what she is and where she came from and why she's there from a thematic standpoint, but aside from that, I've got to go back to the drawing board. So now I've got character work to do in addition to rewriting the story. And I might end up cutting her again after all of that! 

She's there for a reason, though, even if she ends up getting cut again.  It will be interesting to see what comes of her reappearance.

• Like 1

(((Jean)))

If they call again, you need to ask to speak to a supervisor.

No, "We are not interested.  Take us off of your call list and NEVER call again."  Said loudly over whatever they might be saying (because they are trained to keep talking to keep you on the line longer), and then HANG UP.  By law they must never call your number again once you have said this.

This doesn't prevent the next company from calling you, but with each one you tell this to you have one less that can call you.  Also, you want to keep the phone "conversation" as short as possible because the longer they can keep you on the phone the more likely it is that someone sometime WILL be able to sell you something, so staying on the line longer not only gets them to call more often, it also puts your number higher on the list of phone numbers they sell to others.

Somehow it just seems sacrilegious to have a "don't call again" booyah!  Therefore, this is a 

Hooray for all of us Booyah!

Edited by AMJ
  • Like 8

Bad news. Our van engine is toast and it would cost $8000 to fix it. Anyone want to buy a Ford E350 that needs a new engine but has brand spankin' new tires? I think I'm going to be sick.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

Laundry is mostly done.

School is done.

Ds is cooking frozen pizza because I looked in the mirror and was blinded by my sparkly grey hair coming in and my blond tips. Twelve minutes left to go on the timer and my locks should be back to a more uniform color. I miss my highlights and lowlights but teens gotta eat, yo.

Last night I really didn't want to cook so we ordered Domino's Pizza.  I changed our usual order, though, since I now should not eat pizza for the last meal of the day.  Turns out they now offer salads (just started that this week), so I ordered in 3 salads and ONE pizza (half DH's favorite and half the kids' favorite).  This works!

• Like 5

Yay, all ketchupped!  Mustard get something more to eat, then get on with the day.  I also must remember to give the kids some cash -- they are going to sleep over with last-cousin-to-move-away tonight and spend the day with her tomorrow, and I want them able to treat themselves and their cousin instead of cousin paying for everything.

We also need to do something about a graduation present, too.  She spent this summer finishing high school early, and starts official college in two weeks.  She should get graduation presents!

• Like 3

Okay, just to say:  Domino's is winning some major points with me now!  They already got some points for offering salads (well-packaged, too, with toppings segregated, which leaves me the option of controlling how much of any topping goes onto my salad), they also have quite a nice "Cal-O-Meter" to tell you the nutritional details of the pizza you describe.  They ALSO have a "Lighter Options" tab which suggest some pizzas I will actually eat and enjoy that will be quite manageable on my current-and-likely-permanent eating restrictions.  Hooray!  I can still have pizza without having to make it myself!

I am eating ONE slice of DH's leftover pizza for second breakfast.  His is a bit heavier than I'd like, but I'm going to work my butt off again in a little while, so I think I can have ONE slice.  Besides, I've done a great job of decluttering the food stocks in this house so there's a lot less for me to eat here now.  I must go grocery shopping today or tomorrow.

• Like 5

Good Morning, I need the Grumpy Pants this morning. I am just feeling irritated. Too many demands by too many people. And then, last night a person called me and ... well, I don't want to get into the details but let's just say I don't want to be dragged into the mess that is her life. I know she likes me because she sees me as stable and has my life together, but I just don't want to. I can't. But, I can't say that because it's complicated. Aaaaaaackk! Why don't people just leave me alone?

Ok, I guess I'll go get my second cup of COFFEE and start school!

• Like 6

Spongebob, Barney the dinosaur, Boobah,....

I never heard of Sam and Cat.  I take it I'm not missing anything critical, am I?

More of a pre-teen show.  Not a kids' show.  Just the first awful show that popped into my head.  And it really is awful.

• Like 2

Ok, school is done for the week. Didn't get all our subjects done each day, but I had planned that.

Hits: New writing process, Notgrass World History (that is an awesome book)

Misses: none so far, unless you count Mystery of History, but we hadn't even started with that, so I don't count that

• Like 4

Ok, school is done for the week. Didn't get all our subjects done each day, but I had planned that.

Hits: New writing process, Notgrass World History (that is an awesome book)

Misses: none so far, unless you count Mystery of History, but we hadn't even started with that, so I don't count that

Krissi, I'm thinking of getting Notgrass World History for my high schoolers.  Can you tell me what you like about it and if there's anything you don't like?

Krissi, I'm thinking of getting Notgrass World History for my high schoolers. Can you tell me what you like about it and if there's anything you don't like?

The book itself is beautiful. Lots of big, gorgeous photographs. Today's lesson was on the garden of Eden, so we saw photos of both the Tigris and Euphrates rivers, a vast variety of fruits, etc. I really like the photos. It's different than a lot of textbooks that are text heavy with a few little pictures here and there. It is divided into Lessons, which I like and at the end of each daily lesson there are 3-4 assignments, ranging from timeline entries to map work to vocabulary to creative writing and also it has literature assignments. There are probably 7 or so possible activities, but only about 4 are assigned each day. So, for example, they don't do map work every day. Thy don't do vocabulary every day. At this point there is nothing that I don't like. Though we're only on day 3. Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 4

The book itself is beautiful. Lots of big, gorgeous photographs. Today's lesson was on the garden of Eden, so we saw photos of both the Tigris and Euphrates rivers, a vast variety of fruits, etc. I really like the photos. It's different than a lot of textbooks that are text heavy with a few little pictures here and there. It is divided into Lessons, which I like and at the end of each daily lesson there are 3-4 assignments, ranging from timeline entries to map work to vocabulary to creative writing and also it has literature assignments. There are probably 7 or so possible activities, but only about 4 are assigned each day. So, for example, they don't do map work every day. Thy don't do vocabulary every day. At this point there is nothing that I don't like. Though we're only on day 3.

Thank you!  I think it's time to get some old stuff listed on ebay so that I have funds to buy new stuff!  :)

• Like 3

Good Morning, I need the Grumpy Pants this morning. I am just feeling irritated. Too many demands by too many people. And then, last night a person called me and ... well, I don't want to get into the details but let's just say I don't want to be dragged into the mess that is her life. I know she likes me because she sees me as stable and has my life together, but I just don't want to. I can't. But, I can't say that because it's complicated. Aaaaaaackk! Why don't people just leave me alone?

Ok, I guess I'll go get my second cup of COFFEE and start school!

Sorry....  Next time I'll call Jean.  

:laugh:

• Like 7