Menu

Ignore this thread!

We have gotten a second opinion on the van from an independent mechanic and he agrees that the engine should be replaced. The van is actually running fine, but they are saying that some day, maybe tomorrow or maybe a year from now, the engine will just stop working.

So we are not sure what to do with it. It will cost $8000 to get a new engine which would essentially give us a brand new vehicle and comes with a warranty. It would run $6000 to piece together an engine, but all the mechanics say that is too much money for questionable results and no warranty. We are not sure that we could get another reliable 8 passenger vehicle for $8k to replace the van, which is otherwise in great condition and has brand spanking new tires.

Dh is going to talk to the mechanic again and ask if it will cause additional damage to other parts of the van if we just drive it until the engine quits, or if it will still just need the new engine. If the engine dying won't cause more damage, we may just drive it locally until it stops working to buy a little time to save up some money.

The car dh is looking at today apparently seats 6, so I could feasibly bring all 5 kids to choir in it if necessary and it would meet our general transportation needs except for getting to church. We live close enough to church (1.5 miles) to walk or ride bikes.

• Like 3

:seeya:

Someone please come and smack me upside the head.

We leave for DD's birthday camping trip next Tuesday. Which means that I am down to 6 days to get the house ready for the house sitter, the camper cleaned and packed, the laundry done, and the first six weeks of school planned. Tomorrow I must take Nana for her Hair Day in the Big City, so take away 1 day. 

So I agreed to take DD and friend to Little Amusement Park today.  So I lose another day.

So I agreed to have DD's bestie over for a sleepover Friday night.  In the camper.  Which will make it not clean.  And eat up more of my time.  So I lose another day.

GAH.

My kid's social life is killing me.  (I did manage to rope DH into driving duties tomorrow while I am with Nana, so that said social butterfly might attend a "Word War," [a social gathering of teen geeks writers during which "much ink will be spilled."])

I don't know how those of you with many manage it.  I have one and she's killing me.

:nopity:

• Like 5

This is my advice for the day: never assume people are going to stop at a 4-way stop. I was taking DS to school this morning and was driving in town. I was getting ready to make a left hand turn, but noticed the car coming at me was driving a little fast. So, I waited. You guessed it. He just blew through the intersection. Didn't even slow down. I would have been broad-sided and at the rate of speed he was going DS might have been killed. I honked and honked and honked! This is the second time in 2 weeks I've seen people blow through 4-way stops,

• Like 4

This is my advice for the day: never assume people are going to stop at a 4-way stop. I was taking DS to school this morning and was driving in town. I was getting ready to make a left hand turn, but noticed the car coming at me was driving a little fast. So, I waited. You guessed it. He just blew through the intersection. Didn't even slow down. I would have been broad-sided and at the rate of speed he was going DS might have been killed. I honked and honked and honked! This is the second time in 2 weeks I've seen people blow through 4-way stops,

:cursing: :boxing_smiley:

• Like 2

Oh, that just makes my stomach drop. So thankful you saw and waited!

• Like 1

You are absolutely right - never assume.  We lived in the same general area of the country where you live.  There are lots of fatals caused by that exact scenario; it's shocking how common it is.

I'm glad that you're both okay.

• Like 1

My migraine meds are known to make people sleepy, so I was prescribed to take them at night.  They gave me insomnia.  My neuro switched the schedule around so that I would take them during the day.  Now they make me sleepy.  So, I just woke up from a nap...   :confused1:

• Like 4

Bummer, Junie. :(

My kids are getting tons of invites to go do fun things as everyone in public school is having a last hurrah before public school starts. I'm the mean mommy making them doing school.  My phone has seriously been dinging with texts every 20 minutes all morning long. I keep reminding them that we will be out hiking when the weather is nice....and when their friends are in school.  

• Like 6

One of the many hazards of writing books: my protagonist has an ex, and I seriously do not understand how he relates to her. One minute he's sad, then he's angry, then he's wishing things were different, then he wants to get even, then he's upset...it's like a roller coaster.

• Like 3

I learned this a long time ago. I was living in MD, and my boyfriend and I came up to PA to visit friends of his (a couple).  We were heading out to a local place for a late dinner, and we stopped at a 4-way.  The guy started to go through, but I screamed "STOP!" at the top of my lungs from the back seat.  He slammed on the breaks.  Just then this fancy schmancy sports car came barreling through the intersection out of nowhere at what seemed like 100 miles per hour without his lights on.  I didn't even "know" it was coming because of trees blocking the view and it was dark, just felt something wasn't right so I screamed.  Everyone just looked at me.  I shrugged, and we continued on, but it was super creepy.  Still feel like we would have been toast.

• Like 8

I asked the romance writers for help with my little dilemma. I'm going to continue to write the scene as he experiences it, the emotional basket case that he is, and then see what I need to do to help him tone it down if I get some responses. What's funny is that every now and again he tries to be reasonable about it, and he can't. He's out way beyond my depth. :cursing:

• Like 3

:seeya:

Someone please come and smack me upside the head.

We leave for DD's birthday camping trip next Tuesday. Which means that I am down to 6 days to get the house ready for the house sitter, the camper cleaned and packed, the laundry done, and the first six weeks of school planned. Tomorrow I must take Nana for her Hair Day in the Big City, so take away 1 day.

So I agreed to take DD and friend to Little Amusement Park today. So I lose another day.

So I agreed to have DD's bestie over for a sleepover Friday night. In the camper. Which will make it not clean. And eat up more of my time. So I lose another day.

GAH.

My kid's social life is killing me. (I did manage to rope DH into driving duties tomorrow while I am with Nana, so that said social butterfly might attend a "Word War," [a social gathering of teen geeks writers during which "much ink will be spilled."])

I don't know how those of you with many manage it. I have one and she's killing me.

:nopity:

I don't do birthday camping trips, lol.

(((Krissi))). Glad you guys are okay!

Ikslo, if you ever yell at me to stop, I will!!

(((Jean)))

• Like 4

Ok, well... we've lunched, picked up DS from school (he only has half days this week) and now... science with DS and history with dd. I let the little dd's go to the neighbor's house. They have history scheduled only 3 days a week, so I decided today will not be one of those days. Tonight for dinner we are having a Worldwide feast thing a la Nottgrass History. They have these "Family Acitivies" and so I went to the store and bought a whole bunch of frozen carp from Italy and Mexico and China and Korea. We now we gotta label it and all that. The kids are pretty excited.

Critter, I love seeing how you deal with your characters. It's completely fascinating!

Jeannie, yes, you are.

Junie, I'm sorry about the sleep and meds stuff! I hope you can get it straightened out.

JJM, I don't manage it. I am actually quite stark raving mad. Also, I don't allow my kids a thriving social life because I cannot be a taxi service for 5 kids.

Ikslo, that is an amazing story!

Hi Susan! We have no squirrels. Just raccoons!

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 4

One of the many hazards of writing books: my protagonist has an ex, and I seriously do not understand how he relates to her. One minute he's sad, then he's angry, then he's wishing things were different, then he wants to get even, then he's upset...it's like a roller coaster.

Sounds like an ex.  Was she poisonous, or was it simply a parting of the ways?

• Like 1

I learned this a long time ago. I was living in MD, and my boyfriend and I came up to PA to visit friends of his (a couple).  We were heading out to a local place for a late dinner, and we stopped at a 4-way.  The guy started to go through, but I screamed "STOP!" at the top of my lungs from the back seat.  He slammed on the breaks.  Just then this fancy schmancy sports car came barreling through the intersection out of nowhere at what seemed like 100 miles per hour without his lights on.  I didn't even "know" it was coming because of trees blocking the view and it was dark, just felt something wasn't right so I screamed.  Everyone just looked at me.  I shrugged, and we continued on, but it was super creepy.  Still feel like we would have been toast.

My MIL gets such premonitions sometimes.  When her boys were in college she was known to call them very occasionally for some odd request.  Later they would find out they avoided a car accident or some such.  

Never be ashamed of it.  Go with those gut feelings when they happen.  If nothing comes of it you can apologize afterwards.

• Like 5

Twice today a squirrel has tried to climb up our back deck door. Can't figure out why - there isn't anything interesting there!

He's a secret agent for the mockingbirds.  They are trying to find new ways into the house.

• Like 4

Is the release valve turned to "pressure"? Is the seal on properly? Did you add at least one cup of water?

Yup, yup, and yup.

The rice eventually cooked, but everything is now mush.

Fortunately, the mush fascinates the kids, and they will eat it. I will be in my room crying into my bowl of popcorn.

• Like 3

Sounds like an ex.  Was she poisonous, or was it simply a parting of the ways?

The poisonous kind. Not saying he didn't make his own poison to add to it, though.

ETA: The writer at the group with an ex says to let the character do his mood swing thing. She says better to let him get it out the way he feels it, and deal with the mop-up after, which is what I intended to do anyway. 

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 2

I'm bushed and have sent the kids up to bed.  I must follow them shortly.  Yesterday's work-out wore me out not just for the rest of yesterday but all day today.  We had more impromptu visiting this morning and early afternoon.  I did get my biology kit picked up from the post office, though, and got it opened and the contents verified.  I also plotted out most of the remaining MCTLA lessons, though I'm still behind in getting other stuff (like Math) arranged.  I can try to get back to it tomorrow.

I wanted to post witty and humorous stuff, but I'm so tired I can't think of anything to post.  I did not have time for all of my cardio today, I forgot to take all of my meds completely (best just start fresh tomorrow), and I'm falling behind and the school year hasn't even started yet.

Nighty-night, all.  *YAAAWWWNN*  See ya t'morrow.

• Like 5

He sounds like my dh.

• Like 4

You are absolutely right - never assume.  We lived in the same general area of the country where you live.  There are lots of fatals caused by that exact scenario; it's shocking how common it is.

I'm glad that you're both okay.

I remember once taking Dancer to the studio when she was about 8. We had got off the bus, walked across the street, and was waiting for the next light to turn green so we could cross again. It turned green and we started across, when I barely saw a movement from the corner of my eye and grabbed my daughter and jerked her back. Just as a did, a van ran their light at high speed. Cars from the other direction had already started across the street both ways, and there was much slamming of brakes to avoiding hitting the idiot woman. The van was so close to us, it brushed my clothing. That freaked us out.

• Like 2

Yup, yup, and yup.

The rice eventually cooked, but everything is now mush.

Fortunately, the mush fascinates the kids, and they will eat it. I will be in my room crying into my bowl of popcorn.

Adding milk and sugar to that mush would have made arroz con leche - an international cuisine lesson!

• Like 3

I remember once taking Dancer to the studio when she was about 8. We had got off the bus, walked across the street, and was waiting for the next light to turn green so we could cross again. It turned green and we started across, when I barely saw a movement from the corner of my eye and grabbed my daughter and jerked her back. Just as a did, a van ran their light at high speed. Cars from the other direction had already started across the street both ways, and there was much slamming of brakes to avoiding hitting the idiot woman. The van was so close to us, it brushed my clothing. That freaked us out.

Wow. That was close.

• Like 2