Menu

Ignore this thread!

Where my parents live, they don't have the program she's interested in. I checked last night. She'd be at the same community college I attended, and their culinary program sucks. Here, it is tourist country, and there is excellent culinary instruction. There is also a film program here (a lot of filming goes on here), which is something else she is interested in.  She actually has quite a few interests right now she wants to dabble in, and the cc  in Central Texas doesn't have the same variety of options as here.

Ok, wait...Ft. Hood is not "central Texas." Austin and surrounding areas are Central Texas. And Austin has awesome culinary stuff and whatnot going on. Just sayin'...

• Like 4

"It's time for Animaniacs!

And we're zany to the max.

So just sit back and relax, you'll laugh till you collapse.

We're Animaniacs!

Come join the Warner brothers and the Warner sister, Dot!

Just for fun we run around the Warner movie lot!

They lock us in the tower, when ever we get caught

But we break loose and then vamoos and now you know the plot...."

Pretty good from memory, huh?

• Like 5

Ok, wait...Ft. Hood is not "central Texas." Austin and surrounding areas are Central Texas. And Austin has awesome culinary stuff and whatnot going on. Just sayin'...

An hour north of Austin was still considered Central Texas, at least when I lived there. We were considered surrounding areas of Austin, as far north as Waco even. And Austin is too big for our tastes. I attended Central Texas College in Killeen, and looking at their selections, they suck. Dancer does not want to go to a big school, so Austin is out. It may change in a couple of years, but by that time Dancer will be done (hopefully).

I need to go to bed. I spend waaaay too much time on the computer. But it's the only thing I can do that is doable with almost constant interruptions. I get started on a book and it takes me 2 hours to read a page because some always wants something or is fighting or wants a snack or.....

• Like 2

Caffeine, baby. Yeah!

I'm going to go waterfalling. It's hot. I may regret it. But I've got my cool house and dark hole to crawl back to, so I'll probably be fine. I have a conundrum. A character that seriously left this story a very long time ago (I wrote the very first inception of the story some fifteen years or more ago!) showed up last night. Well, she had a cameo, in that I used her name for a possibly throw away character--but evidently her name sparked something for the antagonist and he just came to life when she was there in some way. Last night she had a run in with the protagonist, and she did something to him too---he pitied her, and that was something I didn't expect. Bottom line, I think she's there for a reason, and I want to run with it for a while. 

But I didn't expect revision to include figuring out an entirely new and different character (because she's not quite the same thing she was years ago). I don't even have a character profile for this person! I've got some idea of what she is and where she came from and why she's there from a thematic standpoint, but aside from that, I've got to go back to the drawing board. So now I've got character work to do in addition to rewriting the story. And I might end up cutting her again after all of that! 

• Like 8

It is 5:34 am. I am waiting for my heart to stop thumping out of my chest. The stupid telemarketers just called, waking me from a sound sleep and arguing with me that it was "after 8". Not here, it isn't. I really hope that ds didn't get woken up (he has an extension in his room). 

:cursing: I'd be tempted to disconnect all phones and silence all cell phones between ten and seven if people routinely called me at 5:30 am to sell me something. Or I'd ask if they sold large gun safes, and then say I'd buy one if they'd lock themselves in it. Or probably I'd just curse and slam the phone down. I'm not very pleasant at that hour of the day.

• Like 4

:cursing: I'd be tempted to disconnect all phones and silence all cell phones between ten and seven if people routinely called me at 5:30 am to sell me something. Or I'd ask if they sold large gun safes, and then say I'd buy one if they'd lock themselves in it. Or probably I'd just curse and slam the phone down. I'm not very pleasant at that hour of the day.

Cell phone are silenced. I have thought about the landline but dh is a pastor and our parents are all elderly. I want people to be able to reach us in an emergency. But not telemarketers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Cell phone are silenced. I have thought about the landline but dh is a pastor and our parents are all elderly. I want people to be able to reach us in an emergency. But not telemarketers.

I went to college before cell phones were common and I insisted that our landline never* be taken off the hook.  My mom has a serious heart condition and I was hours away.

* I did make an exception for the night of the time change.  We had a friend who would have called us at 2 a.m. to remind us to change our clocks.  Yeah, that kind of friend.  My roommate ended up marrying him, though.  :)

• Like 3

It is 5:34 am. I am waiting for my heart to stop thumping out of my chest. The stupid telemarketers just called, waking me from a sound sleep and arguing with me that it was "after 8". Not here, it isn't. I really hope that ds didn't get woken up (he has an extension in his room).

They argued with you?!!!?  As if that is going to want to make you buy something.  My goodness.

• Like 3

Good news:  An old friend from high school has been in touch.  Another friend from high school - the one I went to visit in NC last year - saw her when she was visiting up north, and now 4 of us from high school are on a 4-way text thread.  So fun. 

Bad news:  They moved my desk and my co-worker's desk at work.  We went from individual cubicles with quiet and privacy, to a combo cubicle.  That part doesn't bother me.  I like her.  What bothers the both of us is how LOUD it is, how BRIGHT it is, and how right in the middle of everything it is.  We can now hear everyone's conversations, everyone feels the need to stop by and talk, and I CAN NOT CONCENTRATE.  There is a partial wall with a shelf.  We were promised before we moved (has to be right away!!!) it would be changed out within the week to a solid wall.  Now that we have moved, it is suddenly impossible to have it changed before October.  Apparently, back when this cubicle was a printer area, everyone used it as a hang out spot, and they don't seem to notice that I AM TRYING TO WORK here.  You do not need to run your hand along the counter every time you pass by, annoying man.  You do not need to play the drums on my counter while I am working, rude man.  And you do not need to stop by and talk to me for no reason every time you get up from your desk, girl with not enough work to do.  You three, with desks on the other side of the building - could you please have your 15-min conversation by your own desks, instead of in front of mine?!?  R.U.D.E.

Co-worker is working from home today in protest.

I think I may have to be more vocal about the fact that they need to relocate us pronto.  This is not going to work.

And we have already scoped out some unused desks in a different building on campus.  :D

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 6

Jean--the do not disturb feature on your cell phone can either be overrides by two phone calls in a row or a particular number can be excepted. If you have a small congregation, could you input everybody's number into an exception list and direct everyone to call your cell?

It seems that 2-3x a week you are awoken early by phones....and that sucks.

Jean--the do not disturb feature on your cell phone can either be overrides by two phone calls in a row or a particular number can be excepted. If you have a small congregation, could you input everybody's number into an exception list and direct everyone to call your cell?

It seems that 2-3x a week you are awoken early by phones....and that sucks.

The landline is the problem- not the cellphones. I think that I will unplug the landline tonight. That's a good idea to tell them to call the cellphone.

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 1

Good Morning!

I have made it through all the transportation needs, though two of my kids have to share a seatbelt. I am bathroom monitor for the day at tutorial, but fortunately, there is wifi.

For some reason the city decided the road in my neighborhood needs to be repaved, so they have been digging it up all week. I think actual paving starts today or tomorrow.

Ikslo, I am sorry about your workspace issues. I would have an incredibly difficult time concentrating! Maybe they will let you set up a privacy tent. :D

• Like 3

I got an email from the school district yesterday to talk about my position with them. I went in today to talk to a couple of women I know pretty well. They are offering me a half-time position at a school near me as a prek floater. I'd have the opportunity to work out hours. Not as flexible as being a substitute though.

• Like 3

Well, waterfall hunting didn't go well. The waterfall was lovely. I would have been happy to sit in front of it and enjoy it all morning. But the water was too high for the boys to do their boating or get any swimming in. So we turned around, and went to a popular swimming hole instead. The boys had fun, I was hot, and now we are back home. I've given them their school assignments and woe betide the boy who wakes me up during my nap. 

Mr.Mom-head has spoken. :D

• Like 6

We are getting a new bathtub today. The cat is not happy.

I put together my September school booklets (one for the table and one for the couch) today.

I'm playing with Trello, and I like the way I can lay out the days... but it doesn't print a checklist on a card, so it's best used on the screen. 

#educationalpost

• Like 6

No one is taking this thread seriously. :hat:

Some of us have to edumacate our offspring! ;)

Actually, school went well and quickly. Of course we're not doing all our subjects. We'll start spelling, grammar and Latin next week. DS is not in the mood to do school, esp. since older brother and BFF are off playing. I did cut him a bit of slack. He did pretty well on his science experiment from his new enormous Apologia science book. He's doing the General Science book now. He liked the experiment, had difficulty doing the wrote up. This is a child who struggles in school. He may be the one I homeschool all the way through. But that's ok. He doesn't fight with me regarding assignments like my other two.

And, the "new" writing system I learned at Convention is going well. It's nothing really new, but somehow it struck me as doable. I know, it sounds weird.

Now, I have to make lunch, but have the rest of the afternoon to myself!

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 7

I was so exhausted this morning after getting everyone off to their respective jobs and camp, that I was nauseated.  So I put my cell on do-not-disturb and actually figured out how to unplug the landline.  And I slept for over two hours!  I then woke up to messages which I've just returned (well, the ones that weren't telemarketers).  I think that I'm going to do the same tonight when I go to bed.  No one is allowed to have any emergencies from midnight to 7 am.

• Like 6

Let me tell you about my new cellphone case.  After the near disaster of the cellphone in the dog's water incident, dh insisted on getting me a "Lifeproof" case.  (That's the brand but also the intent because it is supposed to be water proof and shatterproof.)  Anyway, I love it!  Not just because it is so sturdy but because my phone was so banged up that you had to hold it a certain way to be able to hang up the phone or even to make it bright enough to see the screen.  This new case holds everything together tightly and it is like having a brand new phone!  Woo hoo! 

• Like 9

What writing system?

Well, my kids are terrible writers. They cannot seem to organize their thoughts. And, it's like... I'd get their writing and look at it and wouldn't even know where to begin to get it right. So, I went to convention determined to find answers. I went to 4 seminars by a gal named Kris Cordell. (http://www.writingwithkris.com). It's nothing new or fancy. She just stressed the idea of brainstorming - beginning with a web. And then making a "Key Word Outline" from the web. And then taking that outline and creating a sentence outline from the key words. And then taking those sentences and making a paragraph. And she said they need to do a paragraph every week and not budge from one paragraph until they have mastered the paragraph. Then they can go on to multi-paragraph compositions. I think, though, that was really my take-way. It's just a paragraph. Master the paragraph. Learn to organize and write a good paragraph. My kids had just struggled through all these page or two long writing assignments and the rough draft and editing and proof-reading and final draft and by the time we'd gotten through all that...we were sick of the whole thing. She doesn't advocate that. A paragraph a week. Then, you grade according to a rubric and the next paragraph you work on the things you didn't do well in the previous one.

Anyhow, it's very simple, parts to whole and we had a good beginning. I'm feeling encouraged about the whole thing!

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 4

I just have science left to do with the kids today. I can do it, I can do it.... Then I need to fold three loads of laundry, unload the dishwasher, start supper, grab a quick shower, and get the kids to their activities while dh holds down the fort tonight.

Save

Save

Feeling a little lazy, not gettin' a whole lot done today, huh, Prairie? ;)

Aaaaack, it's a booya/h. And I didn't even try for it!

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 4

Dinner tonight is Starving Shrimp; I made it the other week when DH brought home a little bag of shrimp to feed himself, me and the boys. He got bigger shrimp and two bags because it's so good. Tonight I'm experimenting with adding shrimp stock when I de-glaze the pan before finishing the sauce. So I'm boiling all my shrimp shells with a shallot, a clove of garlic, two bay leaves, and some pepper, and parsley. I sauteed the shells and aromatics in a little bit of butter to build up some fond before I added the water.

After that I'll make a pot of rice, then pan sear the shrimp, de-glaze that skillet with the stock and boil it down to a pan sauce, and that goes over the shrimp and rice. And that's Starving Shrimp.

• Like 4

I just realized that I have tonight's supper because dh couldn't come home last night for supper.  So that is settled.  Except that I can't eat that dinner.  I will need to figure out something else for me. Oh and I just remembered that I have the chiropractor appointment at 6:30 which is a really awkward time.  I think that dd will need to finish cooking dinner. . . .

Edited by Jean in Newcastle

Bad news. Our van engine is toast and it would cost $8000 to fix it. Anyone want to buy a Ford E350 that needs a new engine but has brand spankin' new tires? I think I'm going to be sick.

:ohmy:  :thumbdown:

And this news had to wait until your dh was out of town?

• Like 1

Laundry is mostly done.

School is done.

Ds is cooking frozen pizza because I looked in the mirror and was blinded by my sparkly grey hair coming in and my blond tips. Twelve minutes left to go on the timer and my locks should be back to a more uniform color. I miss my highlights and lowlights but teens gotta eat, yo.

Speaking of hair color, I covered my grays yesterday with a color that turned out to be the exact color of my natural hair. It was amazingly surprising. Now, I look 15 years younger. NOT.

• Like 3