Menu

Ignore this thread!

Can I join?

I am so tired.  

I was fun mom last week while dh was away.  This week not so fun. I think we have done one thing.  I really want to be taking to do stuff, but then it is all on me to get everything done.  Meals.  Chores.  School.  .........  the week is only half over. 

I let the kids stay up until 10pm last night watching the olympics because the girls gymnastics wasn't on until then.  Argh.  Then the baby was up and up.  Maybe teeth?  I got no nap today, which I really really wanted. 

I want to put the kids in lots of extras this next semester.  Mommy needs a break.  They did 1 thing all summer.   And I think that wore me out more than taking them all over the place.

Hi, Five!  Are you new here?  Welcome welcome welcome!

• Like 2

Dear niece (DN) had her graduation celebration this evening, just the 7 of us (all family).  Tomorrow she picks up her diploma from the school, and Friday she moves north to rejoin her family.  She starts college on Monday.  

We put up the party parrot, danced line dances, and had DN march for us.  Grandpa put Pomp & Circumstance on the stereo, DN donned her Hogwarts robe (in lieu of a graduation robe), and Grandma put her old high school tassle on a baseball cap for DN to wear.  Grandma conferred the "diploma" on DN (a rolled up tissue), then passed DN on to Grandpa for the handshake with the Dean.  Then we all mobbed her applauding and hugging her.

I think OUR graduation ceremony beat that of the school ceremony she wasn't allowed to attend.  So THERE, school!   :001_tt2:

• Like 9

Can I join?

I am so tired.

I was fun mom last week while dh was away. This week not so fun. I think we have done one thing. I really want to be taking to do stuff, but then it is all on me to get everything done. Meals. Chores. School. ......... the week is only half over.

I let the kids stay up until 10pm last night watching the olympics because the girls gymnastics wasn't on until then. Argh. Then the baby was up and up. Maybe teeth? I got no nap today, which I really really wanted.

I want to put the kids in lots of extras this next semester. Mommy needs a break. They did 1 thing all summer. And I think that wore me out more than taking them all over the place.

Welcome! Of course you can join!
  • Like 1

My butt is up, I'm eating first breakfast, and I will shortly start getting in my cardio for the day.  For what it's worth we got in some extra cardio yesterday evening -- line dancing at my niece's little graduation celebration.  

A good day to all!  I'll check back later, but I have GOT to get more planning done.

• Like 6

I'm sort of awake. It's rainy, I'm sleepy, and it's one of those days where I don't have any energy at all. I'm glad I have a break from school next week. I just wish I didn't have to do all my planning then. 

School in a little bit, if I don't fall asleep just listening to the rain pattering on the roof.

• Like 4

Good Morning!

Ice cream made everything all better. :)

Community orchestra begins tonight - the original founder/conductor has retired (boohoo) so we are having "new conductor tryouts" all year.

No luck on cars yet. We just don't have much time to look - does anyone ever have time?

• Like 5

Good morning

I feel better.  A bit more sleep I guess.  Dh is to be home in about 32 hours.  I am not counting at all. 

I am so annoyed that one local city does not have all their park and rec stuff up for fall.  ARgh.  I can't finalize our plans.  It is always a stress for me to figure it all out so everyone can get in as much as they want and for me to be able to run them to all of it.  

I want to have it all done before we leave, but time is ticking away fast. 

At least I have the vacation all planned.  I think I need one night as we come home right by the airport.  But that is all.  WHoooo

Taking everyone to the store to day.  Argh.   I hate taking them all.  We don't need to go.  But we are running low on things.  

• Like 6

I'm sort of awake. It's rainy, I'm sleepy, and it's one of those days where I don't have any energy at all. I'm glad I have a break from school next week. I just wish I didn't have to do all my planning then.

School in a little bit, if I don't fall asleep just listening to the rain pattering on the roof.

I would love to hear rain pattering on the roof. That is my favorite sound. Right now I hear about 4 hummingbirds chasing eachother around and fighting over the feeder.

It's supposed to be 103 degrees today with poor air quality!

• Like 2

Good morning. I goofed. I knew that I should cancel this week's egg delivery because we will all be gone to camp next week but I forgot in the midst of my orgy of camp preparations. Does anyone want a carton of eggs? or four?

They'll be good for a good long time. When you get back, you can make deviled eggs and egg salad and flourless chocolate cake and crustless quiche and slow cooker egg bake and we'll all come over for brunch. :D

Oooh, it's a Surprise Guests for Brunch Booyah!

This is the thread that never ends,

It just goes on and on my friends.

People started posting not knowing what it was,

And they will keep on posting here forever just because...

This is the thread that never ends

You'd best come join it with your friends

'Cuz it will replace Facebook as the latest web-based craze

And everyone will post here instead for the rest of their days

This is the thread that's always there

They'll cheer you up so don't despair

The group is growing well as more people start checking in

And we'll keep sucking them in because our cheer is addictive

This is the thread that never ends

It's better than a Mercedes Benz

It helps with coffee withdrawal and other troubles, too

Eleven hundred pages of friends all cheering for you

This is the thread that never ends....

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 7

Dd really moved slowly through OPGTR last year. Now we are just having her read from the block texts for 15 minutes at a time--we're averaging 10-15 pages a session. It's amazing to me how quickly our children can become fluent readers when their brains are ready.  I'm so grateful things clicked for her and that those horrible Barbie readers she kept checking out from the library kept her engaged enough to keep trying this summer when she needed to keep practicing her long vowel words!

• Like 4

I would love to hear rain pattering on the roof. That is my favorite sound. Right now I hear about 4 hummingbirds chasing eachother around and fighting over the feeder.

I can't believe it is August here. I keep waiting for 100+, too dry for the cicadas to sing, miserable hot weather to get here, and it just hasn't come. Makes me a little nervous. I'd like to go cut a persimmon and check the seeds for the winter forecast, but it's too early yet.

I only have two hummingbirds regulars this year.

• Like 3

I just found out that Famous Men series is public domain. They're on my Kindle now. :D

Lynn, why did you separate your 13 and 14 year old for science? Do you like GSWL as a precursor to Helena, or are you just trying it out? Yes, I'm nosy.

Welcome, mommyoffive!

Slache, how you holdin' up?

Is Mary on a break from us? Haven't seen her post in a while.

I'm great. It's amazing how medication helps when something is actually wrong with you. I'm still not 100% but waaaaaaay better than I was.

Mary's okay, just busy.

• Like 9

Did someone say flourless chocolate cake? I need that recipe pronto!

This one is gluten free and can be made dairy free also.

Author: Veggie Balance

Recipe type: Dessert

Serves: 16 slices

Flourless Chocolate Cake

1½ cups dairy-free chocolate chips

5 oz of butter or dairy-free earth balance butter ( apprx 1 cup)

6 eggs

¼ cup sugar or honey.

1 Tablespoon vanilla extract

â…“ cup cocoa powder

1 teaspoon sea salt

Chocolate Ganache

¾ cup chocolate chips

4 Tablespoons butter or dairy-free butter

3 Tablespoons unsweetened original almond milk

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 F

Prepare a 8 inch springform pan by lining the bottom with a circle of parchment paper. Grease the sides of pan with a thin coat of butter. Wrap the outside of the pan with 2 sheets of aluminum foil and set into a pan larger than the springform pan. Bring a kettle to boil or ready a pot of boiling water.

In a large mixing bowl add 6 eggs and sugar. Whisk or using a Mixer, beat eggs at high speed until they double in size. (Be patient, if you doing this by hand it might take at least 7 minutes) .

In a microwave safe bowl add chocolate chips and butter. Microwave on high, every 30-seconds stirring in between until they are melted.

Fold melted chocolate into eggs.

Add vanilla extract, ½ of the cocoa powder, and salt.

Continue to fold until mostly combined, add remaining cocoa powder.

Be careful to not over mix the batter and allow it to loose its volume.

Pour cake mix into springform pan.

Place large pan and springform pan into oven. Carefully pour in enough boiling water to come at least halfway up the sides of the springform pan.

Bake for 35-40 minutes or until cake forms a thin crust. Cake should be firm in the middle when done and almost resemble the crust of a brownie. Pull cake out and allow to cool to room temperature before removing the springform sides.

Meanwhile while the cake is cooling you can make the chocolate ganache. Melt the chocolate chips and butter in a microwave safe bowl stirring every 30 seconds until chocolate and butter are melted. Stir in almond milk.

To frost with the ganache:

Carefully remove the sides of the springform pan, flipping the cake upside side to carefully peel off the parchment paper. Place cake onto serving platter. Spoon warm chocolate ganache over cake.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3

I just found out that Famous Men series is public domain. They're on my Kindle now. :D

Lynn, why did you separate your 13 and 14 year old for science? Do you like GSWL as a precursor to Helena, or are you just trying it out? Yes, I'm nosy.

I'm great. It's amazing how medication helps when something is actually wrong with you. I'm still not 100% but waaaaaaay better than I was.

Mary's okay, just busy.

Hey Slache, 

Yay for FM on your Kindle.

My 13 and 14yo are doing completely different things.  She just turned 13 and he will be 15 in December, but it feels like he's further ahead than one year.  The Challenge program (at Classical Conversations) was a good fit for him, but not a good fit for her.  So he's in it and she's not.  My science choices for her are impacted by what her UMS offers....

I do like GSWL.  I think it's great prep for any other Latin. 

Gotta run for now.... glad to answer more later....

• Like 2

AAARGH! 

Lesson 1 activity - completely prepped for 20  Note - need irons

Lesson 2 activity - dd and I had a big brainstorming session and I have no idea now what we decided!  Dd is working on this.  We'll have to do some prep there.  Note - need paper plates. 

Lesson 3 activity- I'm 75% done with my model. 

Lesson 4 activity - 0% done

Lesson 5 activity - 100% done.

Lesson 6 activity - 0% done

Lesson 7 activity - 0% done  but I think this one will be easy

Lesson 8 activity - we are testing this to see if it will even work.  We won't know until tomorrow.  I have to figure out how to make this one safer for kids.  Or I might go to plan B, which I have not even thought of yet.

Lesson 9 activity - 0% done and I think that this one will be a pain in the you-know-what

• Like 4

School is done for the day. I am having a cup of coffee and perusing a cooking magazine full of delicious looking soups and stews (Cuisine at Home) and wishing it weren't 103 degrees outside. Corn-cheddar chowder, chicken & chipotle chowder with sweet potatoes and poblano, garlic white chili, Puerto Rican chicken stew. And then there's this applesauce bundt cake that looks divine. I really hate the end of summer. It just goes on and on and on. Forever. Summer. Forever.

• Like 4

Ok, so I just have to share my latest accomplishment. My kitchen countertop, the 3'x3' square portion of tile that is constantly covered with papers and books and pens and mail and trash and all sorts of junk.... has been clean and white and wiped off for..... 48 hours straight now. I cannot believe it. It makes things look so much less cluttered. It brings me joy!

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 9