Menu

Ignore this thread!

Good Morning!

It is another day of doing the same stuff here. I must go to town later. The coffee don't seem to be kicking in as well this morning. I did not sleep well and woke with a headache. It is getting better. At least it is not pounding now.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

More coffee! Anyone at your house need duct tape? We have a gal... :D

• Like 6

Good Morning!!

I *think* I feel better today.  However, I was still awake when dh's alarm went off this morning.  I did get a few hours of sleep, but not enough.

Glad that I don't need to take care of a newborn today.  I totally get it, Slache.  Some of my babies were not good sleepers at all.  Ds15 ended up coming to bed with us so that I didn't have to be Zombie Mama anymore.  

Dd13 liked to stay up until 4 a.m., happy as a clam.  I would go to bed at 9 p.m. when ds15 (then 2) would go to bed.  Dh would stay up with dd13 until midnight.  Then he went to bed and I got up with her.  This lasted for several months.

Dd11 liked the sound of the kitchen fan, so we used that to lull her to sleep every night.

I have no idea what we did with the rest of 'em.  Dd9 maybe liked a white noise machine?

• Like 8

With my colicky baby, I would walk and walk and walk until Dh got home at 1 pm. Then dh would walk and walk and walk with him until 3am while I got 2 hours of sleep. Then I took the baby. If I was lucky I got snatches of sleep. If not I would put the baby in the car, drive far enough to get the baby asleep, park at the side of the road with all the doors locked and would sleep with the car running. If was insane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

Currently I'm big into weedscaping. One of these days I might feel up to gardening during steamer month (June) followed by oven month (July) and blast furnace month (August). Until then I just let the weeds thrive, shrivel and dry up, without feeling too much guilt. Once upon a time I actually cared about things like a vegetable garden in my yard. I think my inner gardener took of with my inner personal trainer, and I haven't seen them since. :laugh: Maybe they will come back to visit after the first frost.

:thumbup1:

• Like 1

Good Morning!

It is another day of doing the same stuff here. I must go to town later. The coffee don't seem to be kicking in as well this morning. I did not sleep well and woke with a headache. It is getting better. At least it is not pounding now.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Any chance an approaching change in the weather might have something to do with your headache?  It happens to us a lot here.  I'm rather bummed by it -- I used to love watching storms when I was younger (in more northerly climes), but approaching weather here often comes from the Texas Hill Country, and carries with it allergens that really play havoc with my sinuses. 

• Like 3

Dd's registration window opens today. Her schedule is not really working out because as far as I can tell, the college bio department is totally crazy. Or schedules things by throwing darts on a board.  

There are two important courses she & a bunch of other people in her stream need and there is really no nice way to make them work. There's one sort of possible way - but there are nowhere near enough sections of things so it will be a mad scramble.  I'm beginning to wonder if they do this on purpose to drag out student's time there. Most end up filling their schedules with filler courses just to maintain f/t status for health insurance/benefits etc. 

• Like 7

Dd's registration window opens today. Her schedule is not really working out because as far as I can tell, the college bio department is totally crazy. Or schedules things by throwing darts on a board.  

There are two important courses she & a bunch of other people in her stream need and there is really no nice way to make them work. There's one sort of possible way - but there are nowhere near enough sections of things so it will be a mad scramble.  I'm beginning to wonder if they do this on purpose to drag out student's time there. Most end up filling their schedules with filler courses just to maintain f/t status for health insurance/benefits etc. 

:lol: I'm trying to picture a meeting with a dart board.

Also, when my educational psyc professor went around the classroom on the first day of class, asking, "Why are you taking educational psyc?" I may or may not have said, "To stay on Dad's health insurance."  :coolgleamA:

• Like 8

I got almost 3 more hours of sleep. It was glorious. He always sleeps very well after the sun comes up. I think tonight we might put him in the hallway right outside of our door with our door cracked and the dining room light on.

With my colicky baby, I would walk and walk and walk until Dh got home at 1 pm. Then dh would walk and walk and walk with him until 3am while I got 2 hours of sleep. Then I took the baby. If I was lucky I got snatches of sleep. If not I would put the baby in the car, drive far enough to get the baby asleep, park at the side of the road with all the doors locked and would sleep with the car running. If was insane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're clearly exhausted still thinking about it because you had two typos in this post. :lol:
  • Like 5

Neither of my children liked being in cars, or car seats. I'm thankful for the extra hands (dd11 at the time) when it came to Gymnast, because she wore. us. out.

Slash, is there an organization to help moms of newborns out there? Here, we have Many Mothers, and they are vetted volunteers to help the mom a couple of hours a week for the first couple of months. Some organizations only help brand new moms, others will help moms that already have children.  When I had dd16, it was Muchas Mamas, and that help was valuable. She'd wash my dishes, or watch the baby so I could shower or nap. She also turned out to be a licensed therapist and had her eye out for ppd (I had mentioned my concern about it). I'd never had pumpkin soup before she made us some. It was sooo good! Here's our organization: http://www.manymothers.org/families/get-support/

• Like 5

Neither of my children liked being in cars, or car seats. I'm thankful for the extra hands (dd11 at the time) when it came to Gymnast, because she wore. us. out.

Slash, is there an organization to help moms of newborns out there? Here, we have Many Mothers, and they are vetted volunteers to help the mom a couple of hours a week for the first couple of months. Some organizations only help brand new moms, others will help moms that already have children. When I had dd16, it was Muchas Mamas, and that help was valuable. She'd wash my dishes, or watch the baby so I could shower or nap. She also turned out to be a licensed therapist and had her eye out for ppd (I had mentioned my concern about it). I'd never had pumpkin soup before she made us some. It was sooo good! Here's our organization: http://www.manymothers.org/families/get-support/

I have never heard of such a thing! I'm okay during the day, I just need the boy to sleep at night. If I need to I can put a movie on and throw him in the swing for a nap.

• Like 4

I'm feeling a lot better today, although I think I'm ready for Second Sleep.  We actually got some homeschool done this morning.   :hurray:

My neuro is dropping my gabapentin dosage, so hopefully no more dizziness.  And I might feel safe driving today or tomorrow.

• Like 9

We have plumbago and esperanza and lantana as our flowering bushes in places where we don't irrigate. I'm gradually switching over to xeriscape stuff---I am planning for lavender, rosemary, yarrow, salvia, etc. as my flowering plants.  I'd love to do a succulent garden, but our semi-annual heavy rain season wouldn't be good for them, I think.

• Like 5

We have plumbago and esperanza and lantana as our flowering bushes in places where we don't irrigate. I'm gradually switching over to xeriscape stuff---I am planning for lavender, rosemary, yarrow, salvia, etc. as my flowering plants.  I'd love to do a succulent garden, but our semi-annual heavy rain season wouldn't be good for them, I think.

Pretty! I admit I had to google plumbago and esperanza as I've never heard of them. When I was looking for nasturtiums, we saw lantana everywhere. We'll probably eventually get some of those, perhaps for the space between the new walkway and the wall.

We walked down to the river this morning and found pieces of flagstone. Dh is incorporating those as we speak. :D Gymnast is helping - mixing cement and putting some in place when dh tells her. She has a hard head and likes to ask why and try to do her own thing. I think she's finally figured that at least in this project, she really has to listen and do as she's told. Her hard head is one reason why I hesitated to homeschool her.

• Like 5

I can't speak to naps and nighttime sleeping techniques, as the b00k was my go-to method and that will not help Slache get Alex to sleep through the night.

I committed to some curricula today.  Bought Level 2 of MCT.  Not a huge risk, since we loved level 1, and everyone on this board who likes MCT seems to love CE.  But I also bought Exploration Education Physical Science.  Still sitting on my RR order.  It's large. 

Are the SOW CDs really worth it?  I mean really, really worth it? 

What about the Lyrical Life science CDs?  Anyone use them?  I'm worried I will find the voices annoying. (Which I am not worried about for SOW, since everyone seems to like the dude who reads it. :) )

• Like 4

"I think there's a rabbit in my stomach because he wants carrots." -John

Can they tell time yet?

Yep.  

I can't speak to naps and nighttime sleeping techniques, as the b00k was my go-to method and that will not help Slache get Alex to sleep through the night.

I committed to some curricula today.  Bought Level 2 of MCT.  Not a huge risk, since we loved level 1, and everyone on this board who likes MCT seems to love CE.  But I also bought Exploration Education Physical Science.  Still sitting on my RR order.  It's large. 

What about the Lyrical Life science CDs?  Anyone use them?  I'm worried I will find the voices annoying. (Which I am not worried about for SOW, since everyone seems to like the dude who reads it. :) )

Quackers likes the SOTW CDs. I believe they listen to them in the car. The CDs that we use I put on in the morning while I'm making breakfast, but we're still listening to nursery rhymes, the timeline song another kindergarteny stuff. I would check them out through the interlibrary loan to listen to them and see what you think.
  • Like 5

Today I insisted that the four Youngers take a nap. 15 minutes of reading or crochet, and then close your eyes and sleep. It has been eerily quiet for the past 2 hours and I am wondering if anyone actually fell asleep. I started to doze off and was woken by an alarm on dh's phone (which he forgot this morning). Then the doorbell rang. Then it rang again.

It's 3:00. I am waiting for a mad dash from bedrooms.

• Like 5

I fought my way through the plotting business of the huge middle section of the story. I'm currently working out the knockout ending and wishing that my protagonist wasn't quite so intent on making such majorly huge messes of his life. He's like the kid who runs around stringing out every toy in his box and then wants me to help him figure out how to pick up after himself. He'll do it, in spectacular fashion, I'm sure, if he can ever figure out how to get started.

• Like 5

There's the doorbell again. No one is rushing out of their bedrooms to play. Now the kid is looking at me through the window and I am ignoring him. Now he is ringing the bell obnoxiously and yelling "I know you're home!"

I've gone out to give him the Laser Glare of Certain Impending Death which sent him running real quick-like.

How old is he?  We need to know what size elephants to send.  With nerf weapons.

• Like 9

How old is he? We need to know what size elephants to send. With nerf weapons.

He is 13yo. Certainly old enough to know better. The cover to the doorbell thing actually fell off the wall. :D

(Might need some duct tape for that.)

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 4

I agree with Slash to check them out of the library first. Neither dd16 or I like the voice on SOTW. Although we enjoyed him in a particular storytelling cd, we did not enjoy him reading SOTW. 

• Like 2

I agree with Slash to check them out of the library first. Neither dd16 or I like the voice on SOTW. Although we enjoyed him in a particular storytelling cd, we did not enjoy him reading SOTW. 

I was going to say, there are a handful of folks who don't enjoy Jim Weiss's voice on the SOTW cds, but we love the cds here.  My oldest listened to them over and over again when he ate lunch when he was about your ds's age.  I'm hoping to have my youngest listen a lot this year since I might not read aloud history during morning time this year - or at least not at her level.  Anyway, since you are one on one, you might prefer reading aloud since it might be easier to stop and discuss along the way.  Or maybe the CDs would free up your time since he could listen on his own when you're at work.  Just some random thoughts on both sides of the issue.  

Congrats on placing your MCT order and EE!  I know what you mean about commitment.  I placed my RR order yesterday - yikes!  Scary!  (I never tried Lyrical Life Science CDs - so can't help you there.)

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 3

What are you all buying at the moment? I'm not buying LDTPM because I got the first two levels free and prefer not to spend the money when we just had a baby and moved. :svengo: I still want the pathway readers and Singing Made Easy. I already have...

School time:

Classical Conversations Foundations Guide

Miquon and AL Abacus Activities to complement Ray's

Reading Lessons Through Literature 1 & 2

English Lessons Through Literature 1 (probably for 1st)

Developing The Early Learner

Before nap time:

Five In A Row

In the evening:

Bible Study Guide For All Ages

Art-All the things! Nothing very formal yet though.

• Like 2

We are fairly well set.  I will probably buy MUS epsilon in a month for my SN kid to learn fractions--either that or Key To Fractions. I haven't decided yet.

I went through a decade of buying all the things, and now I'm now at the point of just buying for the oldest + odd tidbits for my SN kid and getting rid of my early level stuff as youngest moves through it.  After PK is done this next year, a lot of stuff will begin to move out.  (I'm super sick of picking up pattern blocks, Lauri puzzle pieces, and playing Go Fish alphabet matching.)

• Like 4

I will be buying MCT level 5.  I thought it would be level 4, but it turns out that's actually an additional optional literature level I hadn't known about before. At this stage I really want to get on to the upper level stuff, so I might save the lit level for a later time if we want.

What are CE and RR again?

• Like 1

There's the doorbell again. No one is rushing out of their bedrooms to play. Now the kid is looking at me through the window and I am ignoring him. Now he is ringing the bell obnoxiously and yelling "I know you're home!"

To the kid:  :001_tt2:

• Like 1

LDTPM ?

Linguistic Development Through Poetry Memorization. Follow along!  

We are fairly well set.  I will probably buy MUS epsilon in a month for my SN kid to learn fractions--either that or Key To Fractions. I haven't decided yet.

I went through a decade of buying all the things, and now I'm now at the point of just buying for the oldest + odd tidbits for my SN kid and getting rid of my early level stuff as youngest moves through it.  After PK is done this next year, a lot of stuff will begin to move out.  (I'm super sick of picking up pattern blocks, Lauri puzzle pieces, and playing Go Fish alphabet matching.)

I would love to buy all the things!
  • Like 2

He is 13yo. Certainly old enough to know better. The cover to the doorbell thing actually fell off the wall. :D

Tell the boy he broke it by ringing it too much and now he has to come fix it.

• Like 1

I vote the elephant ninjas go right to water weapons. Like the garden hose.

I have a Super Soaker DH bought to discourage the very nice but overly amorous tom cat from across the street. 

• Like 4

Time to get ready for Aikido.  I thought our storm front had moved through (along with the obligatory power fluctuations), but I hear more thunder grumbling.  DH has a work dinner tonight, so both DDs and I are going to Olive Garden after Aikido instead of cooking something so late.

• Like 3

13!  :svengo: You are a lot nicer than I am.  He would have gotten an earful from me and chances are, so would his parents. 

#lostmyfilter

#neverhadmuchofonetobeginwith

#knockitoffyouyoungwhippersnappers

• Like 9

I am beyond tired.  But I have to take care of something that I promised my neighbor.  She's trying not to bug me about it but I know that she's going like this :toetap05: waiting for me to be done.  (It's something she can't do so I can't just tell her to do it herself.)  Anyway. . .   I'm going to try and knock this off in the next hour so I can get it off of my back. 

• Like 4

We raided the "opportunity corner" at the local produce stand and got 13 bunches of bananas at $1 a bunch. Then we processed all 13 bunches by chopping them up and portioning them out into baggies that are now in the freezer ready to be popped in the Vitamix for the daily smoothies.

You have a Vitamix! I'm so jealous! I did finally get a decent blender but I had to choose between a Vitamix for me or two Ninjas, one for newlywed friends, so I no haz Vitamix. :( Do you love it? I'm actually glad to have purchased the Ninja because we use all the extra parts all of the time.

• Like 1

You have a Vitamix! I'm so jealous! I did finally get a decent blender but I had to choose between a Vitamix for me or two Ninjas, one for newlywed friends, so I no haz Vitamix. :( Do you love it? I'm actually glad to have purchased the Ninja because we use all the extra parts all of the time.

I like it but I don't know if I would go as far as love.  We got ours at Costco.  It does it's job. 

• Like 1

I like it but I don't know if I would go as far as love. We got ours at Costco. It does it's job.

We bought a $30 blender when we got married. Then when it broke we got another. Then when that one broke we got another. We went through about one a year. I was so done. Ours is awesome. It blends, juices, mixes dough, chops veggies and grates cheese. It's fantastic for batch cooking. I need more Pyrex...
  • Like 2