Menu

Ignore this thread!

Ok, I am bugged. I am so tired of people asking for special favors. VBS is for preK to going-into 6th grade. My co-director's niece is pre-registered. She's going into 7th grade. And then another lady asked me for exceptions for middle school aged kids "... But they're coming up from LA again this summer and they had so much fun last summer, blah, blah, blah!" I graciously mentioned we have youth assistant positions for kids who have aged out,but she wasn't interested and kept standing there looking at me, expecting me to say, "oh, all right, they can come!" But I didn't. I should have held firm but I hate being the hard a--. So, I didn't say anything. I said I'd get back to her. Ugh! I hate hate hate being in charge of things.

• Like 2

What are you all buying at the moment? I'm not buying LDTPM because I got the first two levels free and prefer not to spend the money when we just had a baby and moved. :svengo: I still want the pathway readers and Singing Made Easy. I already have...

School time:

Classical Conversations Foundations Guide

Miquon and AL Abacus Activities to complement Ray's

Reading Lessons Through Literature 1 & 2

English Lessons Through Literature 1 (probably for 1st)

Developing The Early Learner

Before nap time:

Five In A Row

In the evening:

Bible Study Guide For All Ages

Art-All the things! Nothing very formal yet though.

I'm only buying Apologia Advanced Biology for dd16, eventually. I'll also be "buying" the three baking courses DE won't cover for her certificate. Since I don't know what the heck I'm doing trying to cobble together something to complete her Integrated Math course, I won't be buying anything in that department.

Gymnast is covered. I bought SL 4/5 last year, when we had money. I still have MFW K and 1st from when dd16 was that age. I do my own Spanish language arts using books that have been on my shelf since dd16 was 4.  :huh:  There's MEP for math, which is free. Also the library and river are free too. And the parks. And the yard. Oh, yeah, I have the math games set from the AL Abacus guy that I bought years ago for dd and never really used.

• Like 3

Ok, I am bugged. I am so tired of people asking for special favors. VBS is for preK to going-into 6th grade. My co-director's niece is pre-registered. She's going into 7th grade. And then another lady asked me for exceptions for middle school aged kids "... But they're coming up from LA again this summer and they had so much fun last summer, blah, blah, blah!" I graciously mentioned we have youth assistant positions for kids who have aged out,but she wasn't interested and kept standing there looking at me, expecting me to say, "oh, all right, they can come!" But I didn't. I should have held firm but I hate being the hard a--. So, I didn't say anything. I said I'd get back to her. Ugh! I hate hate hate being in charge of things.

No. It's only two letters and yet can be so. dang. hard. to say!!!'
  • Like 4

Does anyone know if there is a way to get some of my Kindle books on Samsung kids mode without putting all of them?

Slache - did you see ikea is recalling a bunch of dressers? You just got some, right?

Thanks! I didn't buy one of those. :)
  • Like 2

I just got back from swimming lessons with the girls and I swear I sweated like 5 gallons. It is 105 degrees out. This is completely unreasonable. I quit. I am moving somewhere else. Like southern Argentina. It's winter there right now, isn't it?

Yes, I have decided that I'm going to Patagonia. And I'm going to lay on a glacier. And frolic with the penguins.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 9

I will be buying MCT level 5. I thought it would be level 4, but it turns out that's actually an additional optional literature level I hadn't known about before. At this stage I really want to get on to the upper level stuff, so I might save the lit level for a later time if we want.

What are CE and RR again?

CE = Caesar's English

RR = Rainbow Resource

• Like 2

I just got back from swimming lessons with the girls and I swear I sweated like 5 gallons. It is 105 degrees out. This is completely unreasonable. I quit. I am moving somewhere else. Like southern Argentina. It's winter there right now, isn't it?

Yes, I have decided that I'm going to Patagonia. And I'm going to lay on a glacier. And frolic with the penguins.

3d-penguin-smiley-emoticon.gif

• Like 8

Back from writer's meeting. I felt bad that I didn't get to the writing prompt, but I got to it tonight and got down about 1500 on a real-life person who was the most interesting character I ever met. So I'm good for next week. :laugh:

• Like 6

So... Yes, this is going to be one of those posts. I called Kaiser yesterday to tell them that I'm still in pain and would like an appointment. I was forwarded to the advice nurse and she told me that I wasn't really in pain I just thought that I was in pain because I had come off of Narcotics a few days ago. She was not accusing me of being a drug addict, it's just a normal human reaction. She said to stop taking the ibuprofen and then I would be fine.

So... Matthew Alexander had his first pediatric appointment today. We were sent to the incorrect facility 3 times, and at the final place found out that we were 20 minutes away from the appointment as well as 20 minutes late so we decided to cancel. Because I had stopped taking the ibuprofen my incision hurt from walking from location to location to location. I asked Matt to take the 2 older kids to get the van while I sat at the fountain with the car seat. After he walked away I tried to hoist myself onto the fountain which was really only 6 inches higher then something I could just sit on. In the attempt at hoisting I caused a sharp pain in my incision, fell backwards and rolled my ankle. I laid on the ground crying for about 30 seconds before crawling to the side because I was laying in the street. Then I laid at the foot of the fountain for a few minutes crying while about 20 people just stood there and looked at me. No one asked if I was okay, and no one offered to help as I laid on the ground crying with a carseat four feet above me. Thanks. A married couple that look to be about a hundred and twelve just look at me sadly. I think they wanted to help but they could barely walk.

If you get back to her give her the name and contact info for whoever is organizing the youth assistant positions, or give her applications to give them.  You can also make some reference to licensing requirements and the consequences of taking outside of the ranges the program is specified for (you don't have to go into detail; just allude to dire consequences and the need to adhere quite strictly to them).

DD12 got to go to day camp this summer, the last year she can go (their cut-off is "going into 7th", which she is).  She had so much fun, and with a summer birthday is always the youngest in her class, so she has been trying to wheedle me into letting her go again next year (since some kids there were a year older than she is now).  I'm not thrilled with this idea.  Not only is it against their designation, but there will be no cousins to go with next year (there were two this year and she was able to be paired up with one) and one cousin (the lone one, a boy) was bullied bad enough that he refused to go the final day.  The counselors were aware he was being "teased" and punished the culprits, but didn't guard against any retaliation.  The boys repeatedly held him under the water in the pool and the counselors never noticed. 

So the answer I get DD12 is no.  It's against the rules designation and the camp could get into trouble if they make exceptions.  There will be no cousins to share the fun with.  And the answer I didn't tell her:  I don't trust that camp anymore.

• Like 4

Our VBS has age cut-offs out of necessity.  With 100+ 4 and 5 year-olds, we really can't add anyone younger than that.  And kids older than "just-finished-sixth-grade" tend to cause trouble.  If they go to our church, they are welcome to sign up as helpers, but if they don't go to our church then they are not invited.  Are exceptions made?  Probably.*  My involvement in VBS is "drop and run".  I'm too tired to do anything but get my kids there and (grudgingly :) ) pick them up.

*I know that an exception was made for dd5 a few years ago.  She turned 4 partway through VBS week (or maybe a day after it was over?), so they let her in.

• Like 2

I am not buying anything right now, but I have started a list. Most of the things we need I have already. I need to purchase Reading and Reasoning levels 1 & 2, Spelling Apples 1 & 2, Singapore 2a/b (workbooks), Teaching Textbooks Pre-algebra, Vocabulary from Classical Roots A, and some IEW literature thing (for tutorial class). I might need to buy the workbooks for Traditional Logic, but I have to look through the supply cabinet first to make sure.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3

CE = Caesar's English

RR = Rainbow Resource

Thanks!  I should have got CE, since we have used that the past two years.

I knew RR was something rainbow, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't Reading Rainbow.

• Like 2

So... Yes, this is going to be one of those posts. I called Kaiser yesterday to tell them that I'm still in pain and would like an appointment. I was forwarded to the advice nurse and she told me that I wasn't really in pain I just thought that I was in pain because I had come off of Narcotics a few days ago. She was not accusing me of being a drug addict, it's just a normal human reaction. She said to stop taking the ibuprofen and then I would be fine.

So... Matthew Alexander had his first pediatric appointment today. We were sent to the incorrect facility 3 times, and at the final place found out that we were 20 minutes away from the appointment as well as 20 minutes late so we decided to cancel. Because I had stopped taking the ibuprofen my incision hurt from walking from location to location to location. I asked Matt to take the 2 older kids to get the van while I sat at the fountain with the car seat. After he walked away I tried to hoist myself onto the fountain which was really only 6 inches higher then something I could just sit on. In the attempt at hoisting I caused a sharp pain in my incision, fell backwards and rolled my ankle. I laid on the ground crying for about 30 seconds before crawling to the side because I was laying in the street. Then I laid at the foot of the fountain for a few minutes crying while about 20 people just stood there and looked at me. No one asked if I was okay, and no one offered to help as I laid on the ground crying with a carseat four feet above me. Thanks. A married couple that look to be about a hundred and twelve just look at me sadly. I think they wanted to help but they could barely walk.

Call Kaiser back and tell them that since they mishandled the situation you are now injured from a fall and need to be seen IMMEDIATELY.  :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:   Poor Slashie!

• Like 5

Call Kaiser back and tell them that since they mishandled the situation you are now injured from a fall and need to be seen IMMEDIATELY. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: Poor Slashie!

I know! You missed the whole fiasco with them being unable to refill my prescription a week after my cesarean too. I'm ready to switch.

Dd dropped my pill boxes with my millions of pills.  Some of them popped open and we had a mix of pills all over the kitchen floor.  After Renai and Quackersh consoled me, I was able to figure out which pills went where.  I did have dd groping around the floor looking for ones she had missed before.  I couldn't just throw them all out because the insurance is pretty strict about not giving refills before I'm supposed to be out of meds.  Trying to match shades and sizes of white pills and capsules is a whole new kind of "hidden object" game. 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 2

Good morning.

I'm so tired. Another headache. I don't think it is the weather, but I believe it is stress. I don't sleep deeply enough. Just the slightest noise, and I'm up. I have to force myself to think of something pleasant before I fall asleep. Otherwise, my mind races with things I need to do, can't do, and want to do.

:grouphug: Jean. It is a mess. I have done that with mom's meds before. Her meds have little numbers printed on them that can be matched to the rx bottle.

I hope everyone has a peaceful and beautiful day.

• Like 4

I am making sure that the old cat has her morning dose of lap-sitting. We are going on a field trip later today. I'm taking my manuscript with me and plenty of pens and paper in case of sudden epiphany. But I think I'm about ready to sit down and start that rewrite.

• Like 7

Dd dropped my pill boxes with my millions of pills.  Some of them popped open and we had a mix of pills all over the kitchen floor.  After Renai and Quackersh consoled me, I was able to figure out which pills went where.  I did have dd groping around the floor looking for ones she had missed before.  I couldn't just throw them all out because the insurance is pretty strict about not giving refills before I'm supposed to be out of meds.  Trying to match shades and sizes of white pills and capsules is a whole new kind of "hidden object" game. 

:ohmy:

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

• Like 2

Good morning.

I'm so tired. Another headache. I don't think it is the weather, but I believe it is stress. I don't sleep deeply enough. Just the slightest noise, and I'm up. I have to force myself to think of something pleasant before I fall asleep. Otherwise, my mind races with things I need to do, can't do, and want to do.

:grouphug: Jean. It is a mess. I have done that with mom's meds before. Her meds have little numbers printed on them that can be matched to the rx bottle.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

• Like 1

Good morning.

(((Dawn)))  Wish there was a way you could lay your burdens down enough to get a good night's sleep.   :grouphug:

• Like 2

Good morning! It is Wednesday. That's about as far as I can get this morning Antecoffee.

(((Dawn))) When I have bouts of insomnia, I will sometimes think about winning the lottery and do math by spending the money. First subtract taxes, then gifts to church, trust funds for kids, etc., etc. I rarely spend it all before I fall asleep. :)

(((Jean)))

• Like 10

(((Dawn))) When I have bouts of insomnia, I will sometimes think about winning the lottery and do math by spending the money. First subtract taxes, then gifts to church, trust funds for kids, etc., etc. I rarely spend it all before I fall asleep.  :)

That beats counting cats.

• Like 4

I had a list of demands for Alex (who slept in our room with the lights on because we weren't comfortable with the temperature in the hall) including where to sleep, what to wear, which blanket to be swaddled in, which light to leave on and how much to be fed when. He had a feeding at 1 and another at 5 but slept other than that. I feel so much better than I did yesterday morning.

Jean, if you can't figure it out take it to the pharmacist.

Lynn, my ankle's okay but it does hurt and my incision is only like a 1-2 as long as I don't do anything. It's walking far or carrying the diaper bag that are bothersome.

• Like 3

Blather alert:  The following is a long-winded, thinking out-loud hashing out of how the planning of studies for the coming school year is going.  Only read it if you want to, or ignore it, too.  :laugh:

While DD12 was in Aikido last night DD14 and I talked about class subjects for the coming year (and other high school years), which led to the topic of younger sister being matched up with elder sister on certain subjects.  DD12 has a brain very much like their father's, very mathy, very engineering, very good at such subjects in school.  She also has some features from me, namely being a quick reader and testing very well.  DD14, on the other hand, tends to be not so quick everywhere DD12 is quick, and simply doesn't learn well in a traditional classroom setting.  She is VERY creative, however (and I am still learning how such a brain works), and has a knack for seeing the big picture and connections/interrelationships that others can't see until they work through stuff systematically. 

DD14 (so close to being 15!) hates seeing her little sister "surpass" her, basically viewing things (right now) from the perspective that younger should mean not as far along.  Had we stayed in B&M schools this would be the case because DD12 simply won't extend herself on her abilities if it means going beyond the group, preferring to work at the pace of her friends and classmates.  She has no such compunction, however, regarding siblings -- more a chance for some of that sibling rivalry.

So we discussed subjects, and which subjects I'll allow splitting and which I'll insist I teach them both together. 

LA will be the two girls together, since we all started in this LA program at the same level at the same time, but I'll work with DD14 more on the writing to get her more up to speed for high school and college classes.  Logic this year will still be together, since we all started that together, though as we get into rhetoric next year for DD14 I might take some more time to explore logic with DD12 further.  Finances and Record Keeping I will likely teach them both together, since these are timely enough for both of them and are life skills.  I explained to DD14 that some subjects it simply makes more sense for us to do as a group instead of me teaching the same material twice in the same day. 

However, that still leaves plenty of room for separating them, and in subjects DD14 seems to feel the comparison most keenly.  Math is a biggie -- this past year while DD14 moaned and groaned her way through pre-algebra on Khan Academy DD12 not only did all of the work for her own grade level, she nearly finished pre-algebra, too.  I will start this next school year with DD12 "behind" her sister on math and likely using different sources, but I will allow her to work at her own pace so she can move past her sister and not be stifled.  This will be easiest to handle by having my natural early-rising DD12 do her math first thing in the morning, before her sister is awake and showered. 

I'm also hesitant to have DD12 start the high school levels of Science and Social Studies, since I don't want these to be utter review for her when she reaches high school grades but I do want them listed on her transcripts when she applies for college.  She got less Texas history than her sister, so I'm going to have her start this year by continuing that, while DD14 moves on to a more in-depth U.S. history.  I'll be working some botany and genetics into DD14's Biology this coming year (at her request -- she wants to eventually create her own dragon through genetic modification), and I'm going to talk to DD12 about what science she might like this year (maybe Zoology?).  Foreign languages will be split -- DD14 wants to study French (though we might or might not start that this year), and DD12 wants to learn Spanish (we WILL start that this year, because she asked for and received some Spanish-learning software for her birthday).

Monthly art classes will largely be done together, though DD12 might opt out of any DIY Fashion classes that DD14 will eagerly attend.  DD12 doesn't believe in "destroying" a perfectly good shirt or other garment to modify it, though she happily wears the shirt DD14 painted last spring.  (Having received it in the painted condition means the painted shirt itself is the entirety.)  DD14 has asked for voice lessons -- if DD12 decides she wants them too I will have them taught separately, unless there's a choral group both want to join. 

I also told DD14 that there will be room in her high school years for some electives, classes she chooses entirely herself.  This are unlikely to be subjects that she will share with her sister.  Speaking of which -- DD12 received a Youth Digital Server course for a Christmas present and hasn't started it yet.  I must remind her to get started on that this week -- I will likely count it as one of her own electives as the school year starts.  DD14 has no interest in also doing the Server course.

• Like 2

Good morning! It is Wednesday. That's about as far as I can get this morning Antecoffee.

(((Dawn))) When I have bouts of insomnia, I will sometimes think about winning the lottery and do math by spending the money. First subtract taxes, then gifts to church, trust funds for kids, etc., etc. I rarely spend it all before I fall asleep. :)

(((Jean)))

Liking especially for "Antecoffee", but also for the other idea.  Sometimes my mind fixates and races and goes into obsessing-mode on some topic that came into my head.  When this happens I either use the topic at hand (if helpful to do so) or pick another topic to deliberately and intentionally obsess over for a little while to break my brain out of the rut.  If money matters worry me (including worrying about others' financial situations) I use imaginary lottery winnings as my go-to topic.  :laugh:

I have found that at times deliberately focusing on improbable occurrences or carrying things to absurdity (mentally) helps derail my run-away brain and get back to sleep or more normal activities (if daytime).  It's as if my brain goes hyper and needs to be actively tired out to get to stop.

When my emotions get this way (usually when my brain is overworked and tired or I have received WAY too much sensory input) I tell my family that my inner two-year-old is back.  Inner 2YA, when she shows up, is always cranky and desperately in need of a nap.  Sometimes she comes in with a blanky-grip on some mind-racing topic, so I get to deal with both at the same time.

Hmm, I suspect sometimes I also come to this thread and write lengthy blather posts to deal with whatever topic my mind is obsessing on at the moment.   :blink: 

• Like 3

Good Morning! Coffee! And then..... jury duty. I've gotten out of it for years and they finally had enough of my excuses. It's not that I am fundamentally against jury duty. I really would like to do it someday. Just not when I have to arrange child care for 5 kids. I wish they would just wait for 10 years. They I would be at their service,

• Like 5

Good Morning! Coffee! And then..... jury duty. I've gotten out of it for years and they finally had enough of my excuses. It's not that I am fundamentally against jury duty. I really would like to do it someday. Just not when I have to arrange child care for 5 kids. I wish they would just wait for 10 years. They I would be at their service,

They don't want me because my step dad is in prison. I'm biased.

Did I ever mention that I come from a white trash family? :laugh:

• Like 3