Menu

Ignore this thread!

A Victorian Vin Diesel?   :smilielol5:

Could be...I like to call him Peter Pan with a nasty streak and an ax to grind. He's fun to write for, though. Put him in a space with another character and he'll either find a way to get himself in trouble or he'll insult someone. Or both. 

• Like 2

There's a thread on the chat board about a book called Raising Godly Tomatoes. It seems to be about correcting outward behavior to change the heart of the child rather than the other way around which is our focus. There are some horrible things mentioned in the thread like putting a 6 month old on a blanket, placing a toy off the blanket, and spanking them for getting off the blanket to get the toy. It's called blanket training and has my grandmother written all over it. I believe it was suggested that you should hit their hands or legs because the diaper would render the spanking useless.

Um, no.  I googled the book title and saw a website.  Read a few paragraphs of the first page of the site.  Nope, don't care for that direction.

Thanks for the heads up.  I'll steer clear of the thread.

• Like 1

Could be...I like to call him Peter Pan with a nasty streak and an ax to grind. He's fun to write for, though. Put him in a space with another character and he'll either find a way to get himself in trouble or he'll insult someone. Or both. 

DD14 says he sounds like a fun character.  What age range is your book being written for?  Adults, or would it be considered acceptable for teens, too?

I only ask so I can tell DD14 if she'll get to read it once it's published, or if she'll have to wait a little longer.  I know getting it finished and through publication can take a while, but we are awaiting it now like the Mervyn's commercial lady, staring in the publisher's window repeating, "Open, open, open. . . ."

• Like 3

What happened?

Those coffee tables can be quite vicious at times. I hope John is okay.

He was picking up and hit his head. Last time he fell forward and needed stitches. He was better off this time. He was back to playing 2 minutes later.
  • Like 3

Ten years ago I would have called it adult fantasy. Given what's out now in the young adult section of the library, I'd say it would be borderline. At least for the moment. We'll have to see how it comes through the revision process. 

I only ask so I can tell DD14 if she'll get to read it once it's published, or if she'll have to wait a little longer.  I know getting it finished and through publication can take a while, but we are awaiting it now like the Mervyn's commercial lady, staring in the publisher's window repeating, "Open, open, open. . . ."

No pressure or anything, eh?

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 3

And I will be even more impressed if she manages the occasional Booya(h) with a new babe in the house, much less settling in, too!  It will be utterly understandable if she doesn't Booya(h) for a while, too.

Oh, she has already. :D

• Like 2

I was gluten free, decided that it didn't work (after 6 months of it), then went back to gluten free just last week. I went back on gluten just for the shindig and am regretting it today. So now I'm back to gluten free. It may be something other than gluten that I'm reacting to but you have to start somewhere, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

There's a thread on the chat board about a book called Raising Godly Tomatoes. It seems to be about correcting outward behavior to change the heart of the child rather than the other way around which is our focus. There are some horrible things mentioned in the thread like putting a 6 month old on a blanket, placing a toy off the blanket, and spanking them for getting off the blanket to get the toy. It's called blanket training and has my grandmother written all over it. I believe it was suggested that you should hit their hands or legs because the diaper would render the spanking useless.

The blanket training was first mentioned in the book by the Pearls before RGT put it on her website, from what I remember reading (on my own, years ago, not that thread).

It seems there have been a lot of changes in RGT from when I first read it (the website years ago), because the stuff coming out now is not what I got from it at all. I remember it how another poster did (and she was also reading it about 15 years ago) of it being a combination of keeping your children close to you (so they're not getting into trouble elsewhere) and Joanne's 'get-off-your-butt' child-rearing.

As for me, I'm just not going to read anymore of the thread. So I say.

• Like 3

Have you seen the Peter Pan character on Once Upon a Time? Not a nice guy. At all.

• Like 2

He was picking up and hit his head. Last time he fell forward and needed stitches. He was better off this time. He was back to playing 2 minutes later.

Poor boy!  Yeah, those tables can be tricky.  They like to wait until their victims are distracted, and then they getcha!  We got rid of ours (re-purposed it to other duty at the perimeter of another room).  It kept attacking my shins when I had my hands full.

• Like 1

Ten years ago I would have called it adult fantasy. Given what's out now in the young adult section of the library, I'd say it would be borderline. At least for the moment. We'll have to see how it comes through the revision process. 

No pressure or anything, eh?

No pressure!  :D

• Like 1

I was gluten free, decided that it didn't work (after 6 months of it), then went back to gluten free just last week. I went back on gluten just for the shindig and am regretting it today. So now I'm back to gluten free. It may be something other than gluten that I'm reacting to but you have to start somewhere, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup.  I went dairy-free (among other reductions) a few years ago.  I fell off that wagon -- like my ice cream, yogurt, and sour cream too much (oh, and butter occasionally).  I am being reminded again recently, however, (like with today's bowl of cereal and milk) that I really should REDUCE my actual dairy intake and use almond milk alternatives when I can.  Dairy just doesn't like me as much anymore.

• Like 1

Have you seen the Peter Pan character on Once Upon a Time? Not a nice guy. At all.

Hmm, no, I haven't.  I've only seen some of the first season (I think.  might have been a little more).  Now the girls want to watch it, so I might add it to some of our summer viewing.  Does it stay as teen-friendly viewing as the first season, or does it get adult-oriented?

Hmm, no, I haven't. I've only seen some of the first season (I think. might have been a little more). Now the girls want to watch it, so I might add it to some of our summer viewing. Does it stay as teen-friendly viewing as the first season, or does it get adult-oriented?

It says OMG but I think that's as bad as it gets.

We have raspberries in our garden! 

We have ripe figs!

There's a lot I work to tolerate about the climate here, but being able to grow our own fig and Meyer lemon trees certainly helps me acclimate a little.

Mmmmmmm, fiiiiiigs....

• Like 2

We have ripe figs!

There's a lot I work to tolerate about the climate here, but being able to grow our own fig and Meyer lemon trees certainly helps me acclimate a little.

Mmmmmmm, fiiiiiigs....

Growing up in Japan we had fig trees with the biggest figs you've ever seen.  Very yummy.  If you could get to them before the birds, of course. 

• Like 3

Hmm, no, I haven't.  I've only seen some of the first season (I think.  might have been a little more).  Now the girls want to watch it, so I might add it to some of our summer viewing.  Does it stay as teen-friendly viewing as the first season, or does it get adult-oriented?

My teen is the one that got me hooked. We watched it together, but I stopped having my 5 year old watch it, though. It's fine for teens.

• Like 2

Yikes! Dd7 has a nice Coffee-Table-Corner scar on her forehead. And a companion Screen-Door-Runner scar on the other side of her forehead.

• Like 3

I grew a prize squash once. That's my only gardening claim to fame. Right now the chickens have the garden pen. It's a weed-yard.

I'm reworking my middle section for motivation and loving it so far. Looks like I get to keep many of my scenes and rework them paying more attention to motivation and magic. I am a happy, happy author right now. :hurray:

• Like 6

Not so. It was a very pretty pink snake.

I thought it was pretty too. I'll call her Pinky.

So, the family was debating on whether to let it go near our garden, or to take it to the river. Dh started to take it out of the "observation cage"* with a stick, even though I told him to wait until dd16 could get the larger forked stick he had used to hold it earlier. The stick he used was waaay to short. Pinky started wrapping herself back up the stick and went straight for him! It was hilarious. But, those things have a bite. So, he tossed it over to the jungle on the other side of our coyote fence before he got bit. So it is, in a way, close to the garden but not close enough to make me nervous. That thing was feisty.

Oh, and Pinky is okay.

*observation cage = old hamster's cage

Obligatory pics:

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

• Like 5

Once Upon a Time films in my city & by some weird fluke, I'm quite frequently driving through their locations. They always have huge security. Apparently one of the actors has a stalker.  I don't watch the show at all. 

Hi AMJ! Long time no see. High school is a breeze :D  For going dairy free, vegan ice cream & cheese etc have made huge inroads in the past couple years. Even Ben & Jerry's now has a vegan ice cream. (I'm the vegan evangelist.... ) 

I didn't see my coffee table for almost 10 years. It's wrought iron & glass with sharp corners and weird poky out bits (actually they're horse heads, with horse ears - it's an art piece thing) and we had it covered with foam and cardboard and a cloth cover until the kids were large enough to not die at its hands. Or hooves..

I had to make a decision about renewing my writing group membership because dues had to be mailed in. I did it after some reckoning. I haven't made it to a meeting in a whole year. There's been so much turnover that people hardly remember me even though I'm an old member. But it seemed silly to drop it now so I dug out the checkbook. 

No date for the surgery yet. Did all my preop work. Getting sent for a pelvic ultrasound next week because I'm being  exsanguinated. It's freaking day 15 if ykwim. 

And that's all my news. I've been swimming in the big sea. :D 

• Like 8

The blanket training was first mentioned in the book by the Pearls before RGT put it on her website, from what I remember reading (on my own, years ago, not that thread).

It seems there have been a lot of changes in RGT from when I first read it (the website years ago), because the stuff coming out now is not what I got from it at all. I remember it how another poster did (and she was also reading it about 15 years ago) of it being a combination of keeping your children close to you (so they're not getting into trouble elsewhere) and Joanne's 'get-off-your-butt' child-rearing.

As for me, I'm just not going to read anymore of the thread. So I say.

Many years ago on this board (8 years ago, I believe), I was part of the RGT subforum on this very board.  (The subforum is now defunct.)  All I remember from that time was the idea of tomato staking which really was more like Joanne's GOYB ideas than anything else - that and just simply keeping your child close so that you could redirect them as necessary instead of punishing.  I have never read the book though or been to the forum.  I had just heard some people talking about the concept of consistent parenting and participated due to that dynamic. 

That said, I've never been a proponent of following formulas for child raising. 

• Like 5

Our gardening story: we've pretty much had the same small plot for almost as long as we've been here. Had a couple of years hiatus around the time Gymnast was born and a bit after. Got the raised beds last year (ya'll might remember me shopping for them on Amazon right here on ITT). Added another corn bed this year, as well as the pallet garden. We've had hit-and-miss flowers in pots or on the ground throughout the years.

Here's a part of our garden plot. It's fenced in to keep the dogs out. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ds0sFo24b_vJL4s6GsynZhgJuIe6nQyR_g/view?usp=sharing. Imagine that area without the raised beds (both sides are the same size, just part is cut off on the right), and that's where we planted in the ground.

This is the other side of the bed, and where dh decided to plant more corn. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HqEi2ccsqKfilmeBMn_SyfzmTycZ57aYOw/view?usp=sharing. There isn't as much compost or mulch on that side because it was a last-minute decision, so we'll see how that side fares.

Our pallet garden how it looks now: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ggioikQXyr67JAsTEjoqgi6rR9nIWku4Fg/view?usp=sharing. You can see the midget tomatoes on the top right. :D. The two bottom slots are still empty.

We're trying our hand (again) at container gardening, having a mix of herbs and flowers.

This one is by the porch and has verbena and other flowers. It is close to the pallet garden: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ntd4ieJ6NSOPfH6qIH_nC99RgDEpjosy_g/view?usp=sharing 

This one is coming into the gate to our yard (and front door) and contains rosemary and the same flowers as the other pot. You can see the corn and raised bed behind it: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bp6E1pS4Z1yE7_T90Yrk-QJptBkG8YkH7Q/view?usp=sharing

Oh, there's also pots in the fenced garden with sugar snap peas growing, but so far there are only 1-2 feet of leaves.

We have a very small space and are trying to maximize as much as possible.

• Like 7

Many years ago on this board (8 years ago, I believe), I was part of the RGT subforum on this very board.  (The subforum is now defunct.)  All I remember from that time was the idea of tomato staking which really was more like Joanne's GOYB ideas than anything else - that and just simply keeping your child close so that you could redirect them as necessary instead of punishing.  I have never read the book though or been to the forum.  I had just heard some people talking about the concept of consistent parenting and participated due to that dynamic. 

That said, I've never been a proponent of following formulas for child raising. 

I didn't know of a forum or book until I read the threads. I also didn't know there was a subforum here. In fact, I probably didn't even know of subforums at the time, lol. I'm glad I didn't get too caught up in that stuff though. Which is a reason I'm staying away from the threads now.  :laugh: No sea-swimming for me. I make up my own formula. It's called "by-the-skin-of-my-teeth."

• Like 5

I don't know what I did or said, but thanks.  The Lord knows that I have plenty of warts and all that (not literal ones, thank goodness). 

It's the whole fake snake for guests thing. It's going to be a trend setter. I can tell.

• Like 6

Well, I'm signing off of the forums for the night. Not time for bed, though. I've been going back and forth looking at Lee Binz stuff and wondering if I should purchase the special of High School Solutions for $97. It's usually $197. Tonight is the last night at this price. I'm also reading and listening to other homeschool stuff (teacher training), and need to get together a daily schedule for myself. I have planning to do for dd16's classes, as well as the two Spanish classes I'm teaching in the fall. Of course, I'm not doing all that tonight, but that is partly what the schedule is for.

• Like 6

I didn't know of a forum or book until I read the threads. I also didn't know there was a subforum here. In fact, I probably didn't even know of subforums at the time, lol. I'm glad I didn't get too caught up in that stuff though. Which is a reason I'm staying away from the threads now.  :laugh: No sea-swimming for me. I make up my own formula. It's called "by-the-skin-of-my-teeth."

I went and read through the subforum threads (there weren't that many) just to refresh my memory.  I was asked to join the group by someone who wanted my support and advice on parenting struggles.  I really didn't have any specific connection with RGT (though I had heard of the term "tomato staking" and had read a little blurb on that).  Which really is neither here nor there but it is one of the things I did while procrastinating on the stupid bills. 

• Like 3

Growing up in Japan we had fig trees with the biggest figs you've ever seen.  Very yummy.  If you could get to them before the birds, of course. 

Today I had to compete with a wasp when picking the figs.  I found an open, overripe fig and tossed it to the side.  The wasp followed that, and I was able to pick in peace.  The wasps here eat other, more pesky bugs, so we try to live harmoniously with them, so long as they don't build their nests too close to (or inside) humans' buildings.  I was happy to share the figs.

• Like 6

Hi everyone! I's back from my foray into the hills. Dropped dd1 off at camp. Spent an hour up in the mountains just hanging out and then came home. Took a less direct, but nicer route home. It was a good afternoon! I can see you all have been busy in my absence, what with snakes and raspberries and all that. And I like Jean, too. I always have! And I don't raise godly tomatoes. I raise Celebrities. That we're eating now. They are finally getting ripe!

• Like 7