Menu

Ignore this thread!

AMJ--my oldest--going into 9th has many of the same issues your 14yo does. We chose Apologia Biology because of the support materials---the notebook is fabulous for teaching study skills, and the dvd is great for multi-modal learning. We are doing the video first to give some anchor points, and then going into the text.

Botany in a day notebook is fabulous if you want to do botany. It's not quite enough for a stand-alone, but it's a commonly used text by beginning herbalists.

Thank you!  Googling now.

• Like 1

I would like a stormy forecast. We're living next door to he11 again this week. Supposed to be 108 tomorrow! Sometimes I really resent my grandparents for moving out to California. What were they thinking? This place is awful!

congratulations! that is great news!

you are amazing!

did I ever tell ya'll that I got an injection in my eyeball once?

you are awesome, Renai! No way you could suck at anything!

what she said.

Stormy forecast for tomorrow, but still highs in the mid- to upper-90s.  Ugh.  Oh, and the girls have dentist appointments tomorrow.  DD12 still has stubborn remnants of 2 baby teeth left that she is unwilling to have anyone try to pull.  It will not be a fun day, though I do hold out hopes of encountering at least SOME rain-cooled air.  At least two minutes of it would be nice.

My eyes have stories.  They were lased in 2005 (NOT fun, but SOOO worth it!), and back in my college days I was in the ER once getting my eyes irrigated.  It took 3 people to get the irrigating eye cups on my eyes.  I have STRONG eyelids, apparently!

Yes, Renai is awesome.  No comprenday whatever whoever said.

• Like 2

Dh and dd16 are extending the patio. They bought cement and got rocks from the (dry) river. It is quite entertaining to watch.

An Arts & Crafts patio!  What a great addition to your home.  Be sure to describe it as such to friends (and realtors if you ever move away).  Arts & Crafts Revival is quite trendy now.  :laugh:

• Like 2

I survived. I got everything done I wanted to except for Tai Chi and folding laundry due to time constraints. I had fake crab, cookies, yogurt and olives for lunch solely so that I could throw 4 containers away. Peace.

DD14 will gladly help you eat up such leftovers if containers of them ever threaten your fridge again!

You have done wonderfully.  :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

• Like 1

An Arts & Crafts patio!  What a great addition to your home.  Be sure to describe it as such to friends (and realtors if you ever move away).  Arts & Crafts Revival is quite trendy now.  :laugh:

We actually rent. But, the owner doesn't seem to care what we do as long as we don't destroy anything.  :laugh: 

But, really, this is dh's thing. He actually knows what he's doing as he's done it at different jobs before. The way they're working it out is, dh is mixing and laying the cement while dd16 is putting in the rocks. Gymnast just woke up, and dh and helping her fill in with smaller rocks - at least that's what it seems like from my angle.

• Like 1

Hours of work and one med. bill has been paid. 

I did get ds's final high school transcript done!  :party:

Way to go!  :hurray: :hurray:

seriously, we need a back-patting icon!

• Like 2

Ahhhhhh...my brain is having convulsions!

I love telling the story. Everyone freaks out. I had acute iritis about 6 years ago and the ophthalmologist had no idea what was causing it, but I was in extreme pain and distress that came on very quickly. I think it was some sort of steroid in the injection. I'm the only person I know who's had an eyeball injection.
  • Like 2

Good morning!

Here's the page that talks about High School Solutions. http://www.thehomescholar.com/The-High-School-Solution.php. I had a coupon code that took off the $100, then a credit in my Paypal account that took off almost another half, so it was a good deal for me. I can access it forever, which is a good thing since I'll be doing this in another 9 years or so. :D

Finally got around to clicking the link - it looks really good!  I like that some of the materials include talks from Jay Wile and Andrew Pudewa.  It's not something I'm going to get right now, but I'll definitely keep it in mind down the road.  (I was trying to read a homeschool book from the library right now and my brain is just not in that mode right now - summer break, baby!!)

• Like 2

I just have to share some happy news with my ITT friends - dd17's ACT scores are in and they are WAY up! Her math score is now high enough to take a dual enrollment class at the CC, and she went up in every other area as well. She will be so excited!

(This is my dd who threw up the first couple times she took the SAT/ACT. She still gets a little sick from anxiety but it has gotten better.)

Yay!   :hurray:   I remember we prayed for her!  So thankful for the good scores.  Does she know yet?

• Like 2

Yay! :hurray: I remember we prayed for her! So thankful for the good scores. Does she know yet?

She knows now and is strangely quiet about it. She may be feeling stress about making "future plans". I am trying to reassure her that good scores simply mean she has more options available to her, none of which need to be acted upon right now. :)

Thank you for your prayers. 😇

• Like 5

I know, right? (I know that the socks come right off and can go in the laundry. I'm mostly just hot and grouchy. I think I'm turning into my crotchety old dad. )

Was it cold? 'Cause that's the worst. You've had a rough day. From the book of Fake Swears, "Ay Kombucha!"

• Like 3

I talked with dd17 about her test score - she said she didn't think it was very good, especially considering that her older brother got a much higher score. "It's like getting a C-." :(

I reminded her that these tests aren't graded that way, her composite score went up 5 points from last time, and her brother thinks taking tests is fun and never got sick over them. And being good at testing does not mean success. She has a lot of personality and character traits that future teachers, program directors, and employers will find much more valuable than whether or not she is good at taking tests.

Sweet thing. I think she is feeling better.

• Like 6

I talked with dd17 about her test score - she said she didn't think it was very good, especially considering that her older brother got a much higher score. "It's like getting a C-." :(

I reminded her that these tests aren't graded that way, her composite score went up 5 points from last time, and her brother thinks taking tests is fun and never got sick over them. And being good at testing does not mean success. She has a lot of personality and character traits that future teachers, program directors, and employers will find much more valuable than whether or not she is good at taking tests.

Sweet thing. I think she is feeling better.

This was actually my first thought, that she was disappointed in the scores. Like maybe she had thought she did better. I scored well on the SAT but was bummed for weeks. Three people in my class (we were a geeky bunch) scored 1600!!! There's always someone out there who does better, and it can be hard to accept sometimes. So hugs to your Dd, because she did her best and in the long run it won't matter all that much, if at all. Not a single professor ever asked me what I scored on the SAT. But it sure feels like everything at that age.

• Like 5

Beautiful, Renai!  If we ever get to the point of not being able to afford irrigation here, our plan is to put in a ton of dryscape like that in our back yard and edge it with a patio garden.

I'd like to do the same where we are, but there are NO native rocks in SE Texas.  None.  What few are here are either man-made or imported.

I love Adobe LiveCycle. I spent 14 fun-filled hours over the last few days creating another dynamic PDF form for someone at work, and I totally enjoyed it.

I am so weird.

It's a geeking out over work Booyah!

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 8

I just spilled raw turkey juice on my socks.  It sucks to be me. 

I have a frozen puddle of turkey stock beneath our garage freezer drawer.  One of the kids didn't shut the drawer all the way and EVERYTHING thawed.  Bye bye, turkey stock.

Go give your socks a bath, and one for you, too, if you like.  *pats shoulder sympathetically*  There there.

• Like 4

I separated clean laundry, and made sunscreen! But I keep forgetting to take my inhaler!

Good work.  Now go take your inhaler.  *pats back and shakes a mildly admonishing finger*

• Like 2

Beautiful, Renai!  If we ever get to the point of not being able to afford irrigation here, our plan is to put in a ton of dryscape like that in our back yard and edge it with a patio garden.

Thanks. Dd16 did that section of the path.

This is a path going from the porch to the gate. He's going to fix it so the rainwater drains under the path and on the wall side of the gate. Currently, the yard drains right where we walk through the gate because all the topsoil washed away a while back. Between the path and the wall to the house, we'll be putting in plants. Again. We have so little luck with flowers. Maybe we just have the wrong ones for that area.

Most of our yard is just dirt and toys though. We have areas around the areas where we've planted (the garden, area next to the dividing fence that has a rose bush on one end and the pallet garden on the other), but that's about it. The front yard, which is in the back of our triplex, had been landscaped by a prior tent, but it's since been dug up to replace the septic. There are a lot of different plants that just get mowed down when it gets too long. And Gymnast's swing set and other toys are back there.

There are very few xeriscape landscapes that I've seen that are pretty. Loose colored gravel with native plants are appealing. I've seen just yards of rock and people calling that xeriscape. Nope. It's XERIscape, not ZEROscape. The key is using native plants that will survive without the extra watering. 

Xeriscapes I don't like:

Xeriscapes I do like:

Yes, I'm picky.
Edited by Renai
  • Like 6

Renai, I liked especial the last one on the "like" list. I love fountain grass.

The middle one on the "not like" list reminds me of a yard in our neighborhood. They did it themselves and when people "do it themselves" it often looks weird. Especially when people attempt to make hills. They never look natural. And that yard they also put in a dry stream bed. Except they used sand and not rocks and one day I just had to laugh as I drove by. I saw three kitties using their dry stream bed as a litter box.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 5

Yay for coffee!! My eyes are bleary and not interested in working this morning.

Angi, take your inhaler! I am amazed at your accomplishments from yesterday.

Jean, I hope you can slow down and rest today!

Renai, I also like your "like" list. The others are a bit cold and sci-fi looking. Not that there's anything wrong with sci-fi. :D

I finally remembered who that lady was from the parent meeting. We were on Set Committee together last fall for dd's theater group.

Ds turns 21 in a couple of days and I am thinking it would be fun to go to one of those Breakout/escape game places with the family. There is a groupon for almost half off.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 7

Currently I'm big into weedscaping. One of these days I might feel up to gardening during steamer month (June) followed by oven month (July) and blast furnace month (August). Until then I just let the weeds thrive, shrivel and dry up, without feeling too much guilt. Once upon a time I actually cared about things like a vegetable garden in my yard. I think my inner gardener took of with my inner personal trainer, and I haven't seen them since. :laugh: Maybe they will come back to visit after the first frost.

Continuing editing work today. I'm rebuilding the middle to reflect more of the life lessons that my protagonist has to learn over the course of the novel. I was not completely surprised to find that one of the big ones has to do with keeping his big mouth shut. He's so apt to reach for a big hammer (his magic) when he ought to try just walking away from the situation for a moment until he settles down, or (gasp!) actually ask for some advice when it comes to handling the very tricky business of surviving life.

• Like 8

Alex has been awake most of the night the past two nights. We've gotten about 4 hours of sleep both nights. What do we do? 

Hey! He woke up! :hurray: It took my guys a good two weeks to wake up, and I missed all their angelic sleeping moments.

I suggest as much napping as you can manage during the day. No laundry, no dishes, just naps whenever you can safely close your eyelids.

• Like 3

Hey! He woke up! :hurray: It took my guys a good two weeks to wake up, and I missed all their angelic sleeping moments.

I suggest as much napping as you can manage during the day. No laundry, no dishes, just naps whenever you can safely close your eyelids.

I definitely plan on relaxing today. The apartment and kids desperately needed some TLC yesterday, but now I'm pretty caught up.
  • Like 3

Alex has been awake most of the night the past two nights. We've gotten about 4 hours of sleep both nights. What do we do?

What Critter said. See if dh will stay up with him at least a little bit to give you a small stretch of sleep. This too shall pass. (((Slache)))

• Like 3

Thanks. Dd16 did that section of the path.

This is a path going from the porch to the gate. He's going to fix it so the rainwater drains under the path and on the wall side of the gate. Currently, the yard drains right where we walk through the gate because all the topsoil washed away a while back. Between the path and the wall to the house, we'll be putting in plants. Again. We have so little luck with flowers. Maybe we just have the wrong ones for that area.

Most of our yard is just dirt and toys though. We have areas around the areas where we've planted (the garden, area next to the dividing fence that has a rose bush on one end and the pallet garden on the other), but that's about it. The front yard, which is in the back of our triplex, had been landscaped by a prior tent, but it's since been dug up to replace the septic. There are a lot of different plants that just get mowed down when it gets too long. And Gymnast's swing set and other toys are back there.

There are very few xeriscape landscapes that I've seen that are pretty. Loose colored gravel with native plants are appealing. I've seen just yards of rock and people calling that xeriscape. Nope. It's XERIscape, not ZEROscape. The key is using native plants that will survive without the extra watering. 

Xeriscapes I don't like:

Xeriscapes I do like:

Yes, I'm picky.

Wow, I agree!  Those last 3 are gorgeous!

• Like 1

Good Morning - Tuesday, right?

Coffee!!

Yup.  Dental visits for the kids today, at 8:15 AM.  I have just given them the 10-minutes-to-teeth-brushing warning to prod them to finish their breakfasts.

• Like 1

Take shifts.  Either you split the nights so you both get partial nights, or you trade off who gets to sleep the night through (as much as possible) and who gets up with the baby.  I know it might be tempting to think that the "breadwinner" should get priority on getting sleep, but the one staying home with all of the kids must have turns at that, too.

Do you have any family or friends you trust to babysit for you while you nap during the mornings?  That, too, can be an option, but only if such help is readily available.

• Like 4

I seriously underestimated the effects sleep deprivation would have on me when the boys went through about seven or eight months of colic. I wish I'd granted myself a lot more grace. And naps.

I need 9 hours of sleep a night or I'm not a good mom. No exceptions.
  • Like 2

Good Morning!

It is another day of doing the same stuff here. I must go to town later. The coffee don't seem to be kicking in as well this morning. I did not sleep well and woke with a headache. It is getting better. At least it is not pounding now.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

• Like 6