Menu

American policies that work

fairfarmhand

My dd has a history paper to work. She's supposed to editorialize on American policies that either didn't work at all or do work well.

Problem is, she wants to do a positive policy, one that works.

I'm coming up blank on this.

Perhaps it's the snow or the cold, but my brain.s not working right now.

Ideas?

Might not be a "policy," but the only thing I've ever seen our government do consistently well is collect taxes!  The IRS should be an example to all government agencies.  ;)  No, seriously.  I used to work in tax, and the workings of the IRS truly impressed me (even though I was on the other side).

But as for "policies," I honestly can't think of one that isn't controversial.  They either work too well toward the wrong goals, or they work well but with unacceptable costs, or they plain don't work.

IMO the best policy is usually for the government to keep its nose out as much as possible.  Having trouble thinking of an example though.

Might not be a "policy," but the only thing I've ever seen our government do consistently well is collect taxes!  The IRS should be an example to all government agencies.  ;)  No, seriously.  I used to work in tax, and the workings of the IRS truly impressed me (even though I was on the other side).

But as for "policies," I honestly can't think of one that isn't controversial.  They either work too well toward the wrong goals, or they work well but with unacceptable costs, or they plain don't work.

IMO the best policy is usually for the government to keep its nose out as much as possible.  Having trouble thinking of an example though.

yes. This is what I am working against.

Many policies do work for *most* people, but then there are those who always fall through the cracks. Policies and programs that benefit everyone and people can agree upon "Yes! That was a brilliant idea!" are hard to think of.

ETA: And it's supposed to be a current event!!!

What about this: The policy that all matters belong to the states, unless they are specifically given to the federal government. This policy is not perfect, but it seems to have worked quite well for 200+ years.

Many policies do work for *most* people, but then there are those who always fall through the cracks. Policies and programs that benefit everyone and people can agree upon "Yes! That was a brilliant idea!" are hard to think of.

In Utah, they are giving housing away to the homeless. They did a cost benefit analysis and realized it was cheaper to build housing for them and house them than it was for all the other types of services they receive as the result of being homeless (emergency medical care, for instance). The long term benefit is that these former homeless have a basic need met and so they are able to get out and get jobs.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/09/22/home-free

ETA: And it's supposed to be a current event!!!

I would hope she would get credit for describing the cons as well as the pros.

Depends what you mean by "works". I don't know any private company that "works" perfectly. Nothing serves 100% of the population at a price that is acceptable to them. This is because no matter what government does, people view it as too much for others and not enough for them. This is not because government is bad. It is because we lack social cohesion in our society.

When 200 people build a church, they all give more than they get initially and often a few give way more. But they can see that it goes to people who need it. And they trust that they will get back in the long run. With a large society, you lose the immediate feedback and assume that "nothing works".

But I live in a pretty dang awesome part of the country, so let me tell you what I think works AMAZINGLY:

1. USPS. Government mandated service, ability to make profits. Still the #1 postal service in the world, still the #1 in the US, according to Consumer Reports. Don't hate, I'm just saying, I don't worship private industry.

2. Community colleges. NOBODY else does what CCs do. We take your high school drop outs. We take your meth recovery cases. We take your prisoners. We take your high school homeschool students. We take your university students who are saving money per credit. We get a smaller share of the budget than universities and we take these people and we get them through. Now, I know that our completion rates are lower than those of four-years, but if you disaggregate by risk factors in the population, from being poor, to first generation, not to mention ahem being in prison, being a single parent--and the fact that only recently CCs have started offering some loans--well we are doing awesome.

3. You know what else is not half bad? I for one really appreciate the IRS's allowing third parties to process taxes. I've used Turbo Tax since 2005 and it is AWESOME. I am very, very happy with this decision. In my opinion it is a great policy and it also makes it easier and more transparent for people and non-profits to help others with their taxes because once it's submitted it's done--it is not left in an envelope at the place, and it's way easier to use for the layperson.

4. I love the national parks. Love, love, love. We are a model for a world, or at least were when we started. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_park

Of course, some people will whine. "Not enough!" "Too much!" "Waste of money!" All I can say is if you're so darn good at running a country why don't you go for it?

5. Oh. Oh. You know what? I don't care what anybody says I think NASA is AWESOME. We were 2nd in space but first to the moon and now we are a leader among nations in the space program. I am proud of this. I like my microwave. :D I like pictures of space. I like Hubble. Oh, haha, not to mention, the Internet and proof of the theory of relativity that was obtainable through the space program but is that too wasteful?

I guess the guys who'd rather buy an island than contribute to human progress find it wasteful. I know there's some waste and I'm sad about that. I don't think "imperfect" == "bad policy".

Policies and programs that benefit everyone and people can agree upon "Yes! That was a brilliant idea!" are hard to think of.

Yeah, because with 300 million people, aiming for the perfect policy for 100% of the population is really--honestly, there is no way to say what I think of that as a goal, so I'd just ask you to really, really think about what you're asking for. What would that look like?

If we demand perfection, we will get people who promise perfection. And you know who promises perfection? BIG FAT LYING LIARS WHO LIE, THAT'S WHO.

Running a country for 300+ million people is not just hard--it is impossible to do perfectly in a way that pleases everyone. Impossible. I'm sorry. Just, no. Every country you will find people who say, "We do too much for the poor" and "We don't do enough for the poor." In every country that this planet has ever seen, ever.

Americans think that because someone once said we should be this city on a hill (I think that was a metaphor, people) that we should claim that government policies are failures â€‹just because they don't please all the people all the time. Again, I wish there were a way for me to express what I thought of that attitude without coming of as condescending. I don't want to be condescending. I just... I just think this is such a huge problem for our country, to have this thinking.

NOTHING is perfect. Microsoft is one of the biggest companies in the world and it crashes every other day on every computer I've ever used. But they're allowed to be called a success, or at least in the 1990s, when stuff was still crashing. If that was the government they'd be demanding the head of Bill Gates. But instead he's a renowned businessman.

It drives me nuts. Our country has a lot to improve on and we are far from the best. But I deeply resent the suggestion that just because people don't all agree, and just because a large policy is not without negative consequences, that it's not overall a good policy.

And I think that teaching your kid that good policy = universally and unequivocally enjoyed is misleading and very unfair to the thousands of people who are working their butts off to make the country a better place.

The policy of offering low cost mail service at one flat rate? The postal service is not perfect but they are fairly reliable and I believe that postage for a first class letter is less expensive than in most other countries.

Ups and FedEx don't like to drive to my house. My package is sitting in a (convenience) store 22 miles away waiting for me, because they don't want to drive in the country. I am SO thankful that I have the right to usps...

I will throw out a few :)  (btw I do not believe there is anything on Earth that everyone agrees is either good or bad)

Interstate Highway system. - including the numbering and signage guidelines that let you navigate the highways anywhere in the country. :)

The gas tax user fee system - maintain roads using gas tax, the more someone uses the system the more they pay, the less they use the less they pay. (this has been politiced around lately, sigh)

County Extension office system - State Universities as part of there charter (tax/government breaks) run a free low-cost education program in each county.  This usually includes pest management, agriculture, etc but they are also the folks who have the equipment to safety inspect pressure cookers.  They are a weird little hybrid farm agent / home ec school thing that provides a lot of service at low low cost.

You guys are awesome. I didn't realize there were so many things working well in the US.

I'm thinking now about the Clean Water Act. Makes my dh's job something of a headache, but people don't die of dysentary i nthe US. At least not very often. :)

I second the Extension Service.

You know it is such a shame that there is so much negative news when there ARE so many good things happening all around us.

Oh yeah, and as a returned Peace Corps Volunteer... the Peace Corps. Needs to improve. Overall a wonderful way to say, "Hi, we have people in our country who really just want to help. Here's our nation's best and brightest for a couple of years."

Hmmmm I think you need to define what "works" means. A lot of them might get part of the job done but not efficiently. Does it have to be a federal policy or can she use a state or local policy? I honestly cannot think of one federal policy or agency that she could research that won't be rife with waste, inefficiency and worse-VA, IRS, DEA, BLM and DoD leap to mind.

Some state and local policies might be better choices.

I will throw out a few :) (btw I do not believe there is anything on Earth that everyone agrees is either good or bad)

Interstate Highway system. - including the numbering and signage guidelines that let you navigate the highways anywhere in the country. :)

The gas tax user fee system - maintain roads using gas tax, the more someone uses the system the more they pay, the less they use the less they pay. (this has been politiced around lately, sigh)

County Extension office system - State Universities as part of there charter (tax/government breaks) run a free low-cost education program in each county. This usually includes pest management, agriculture, etc but they are also the folks who have the equipment to safety inspect pressure cookers. They are a weird little hybrid farm agent / home ec school thing that provides a lot of service at low low cost.

Whoops. Neglected to read first

This is not a policy, per se, but it is a story of research that led to a set of policies enacted globally that have saved millions of lives:

http://water.jhu.edu/magazine/wolmans/

Abel Wolman and Linn Enslow developed the formula for addition of chlorine to drinking water to make it safe for human consumption.  Few 20th century people, or policies, can have saved more lives.  I think your daughter would have to find a local or EPA policy that codifies his work, but I think that wouldn't be too difficult.

How about the projects to provide free internet throughout low-income communities?

This would be great if Internet were a utility and treated like electricity was...e.g. you get a regulated monopoly in return for reaching 100% of the people, but having worked on this issue for the last two years in a rural, southern state, this is (with the help of local pols) not what's happening in rural poor communities. I truly wish it were.