Menu

I finished the cover of my book!!

jenn&charles

I finally had to stop dragging my feet over the title and just went with this. One question though, does " A Guest Hollow Reader" make sense? It's not a phonics type thing...

Also, this is a screenshot, so it's not as crisp as the real thing. 

Will you ask your kids what they think too? I'm getting down to the wire, so any changes I make need to be made asap! :-)

Thanks for looking and letting me share my excitement!!

Edited to add: A family member thought the checkering around the edges is distracting, but another family member liked it. Any thoughts?

Edited again to add: New cover lower down in the thread with some of the suggestions.

cover.JPG

• Like 4

I have no clue what a Guest Hallow reader is, but the image is great. Definitely says this is a book for kids about science and seasons. Maybe your name could be a little larger? It's harder to read than the other text.

"A Guest Hollow Reader" is the new series of books I'm creating. ;-)

Thanks so much for the feedback. I'll bump my name up another font size and see how that looks.

Cute!!

To me, "reader" implies a book for beginner readers to improve reading skills. Does the book include activities? Is it a "guide"?

Thanks for the feedback. That's kind of what I was wondering...if "reader" would make people think that. The book doesn't have activities per se. It does feature an easy recipe for each season and shows the kids doing an experiment. The activities will be in the printables I design to go with the book.

Interesting thought to use the word "guide" but investigation or exploration probably works better?

Anyway, thanks so much for your thoughts!

When will this be available?

Ummm...I'm not sure? LOL.

I'm not sure if I should release the book until I've finished the printables that will go with it (to sell on my website). If I don't wait, I can publish it as soon as I think it's ready. I'm not sure how long the process takes. I'm using CreateSpace and the softcover will be for sale on Amazon. I don't think it will take more than a few days once I think everything is ready to go and if my artwork is approved (it has to meet all the tech specs)?

I have to make the e-book too, which will take me a day or two and then I will put that up for sale on Amazon as well using Kindle publishing. The problem is, I don't have a Kindle Fire to test it out on. I only have the stupid Amazon e-book publishing previewer software which doesn't work right.

Hopefully it will all go smoothly though.

This is probably not a helpful answer, but it all should be done fairly soon. I'll post when it's ready!! 

• Like 2

My picky-nittin': I don't understand what the white dotted line is extending toward the sun. The leaf looks a little random; it doesn't have enough in common with everything else. I would just nix the leaf. Also, the placement of your name is weak. It looks like it's just floating unrelated to anything. Could you repeat the banner element at the bottom and place it there? Or lower it a bit and move it to the right so it is justified above the boy's head? I think it needs to be anchored to something.

Let me just say that I really love and appreciate that one of the children is adopted and is racially different. Nicely done.

Pros

I like it best with out the checks on the front, and think they are cute on the back.

I like the dogs expression, it looks happy.  

I like that you din't do 'rays' coming out of the sun and did a halo instead.

I like the larger font and either Guest Hallow Book or Guest Hallow Guide (I don't think reader is accurate)

I like the colors and simple drawings

I like the depth of image on the book.

I like the font

Cons

I don't understand what the white lines are by the sun.

If they are layered items and can be moved with relative ease, I would consider putting the leaf somewhere else and maybe add one or two more. Maybe in the youngest girls hands or on the ground? I keep looking at it, wondering if it is falling from somewhere or stuck to her jacket.

The rain looks like it is coming from under the umbrella, maybe add a little more behind the umbrella?

The boy is sitting at an odd angle or missing an arm. Depending on how you look at the angle, he is either looking past the dog or he is smiling while looking at the dogs butt. I would try to change that angle if you can. 

The planet under the dog's leg is distracting.

I have a weird thing about not linking arched words.  I would personally straighten the title out and put it in the sky under the sun. 

It looks like a happy book.  I like happy books !  :0) Nice job!

My picky-nittin': I don't understand what the white dotted line is extending toward the sun. The leaf looks a little random; it doesn't have enough in common with everything else. I would just nix the leaf. Also, the placement of your name is weak. It looks like it's just floating unrelated to anything. Could you repeat the banner element at the bottom and place it there? Or lower it a bit and move it to the right so it is justified above the boy's head? I think it needs to be anchored to something.

I really appreciate all the nit-picking, lol. :-) I like to see what everyone likes and doesn't like. Thank you!

Let me just say that I really love and appreciate that one of the children is adopted and is racially different. Nicely done.

Thanks! When I was a young teen my parents talked about adopting but never went through with it. I was so disappointed. In the book series, Grace is the little girl I always imagined as a little sister. :-) 

• Like 1

Pros

I like it best with out the checks on the front, and think they are cute on the back.

I like the dogs expression, it looks happy.  

I like that you din't do 'rays' coming out of the sun and did a halo instead.

I like the larger font and either Guest Hallow Book or Guest Hallow Guide (I don't think reader is accurate)

I like the colors and simple drawings

I like the depth of image on the book.

I like the font

Cons

I don't understand what the white lines are by the sun.

If they are layered items and can be moved with relative ease, I would consider putting the leaf somewhere else and maybe add one or two more. Maybe in the youngest girls hands or on the ground? I keep looking at it, wondering if it is falling from somewhere or stuck to her jacket.

The rain looks like it is coming from under the umbrella, maybe add a little more behind the umbrella?

The boy is sitting at an odd angle or missing an arm. Depending on how you look at the angle, he is either looking past the dog or he is smiling while looking at the dogs butt. I would try to change that angle if you can. 

The planet under the dog's leg is distracting.

I have a weird thing about not linking arched words.  I would personally straighten the title out and put it in the sky under the sun. 

It looks like a happy book.  I like happy books !  :0) Nice job!

Thanks for all the feedback!!!

I made some changes based on some of the things you & everyone else mentioned, like the boy's arm, the rain and the boy's eye direction. Hopefully it doesn't look like he's staring at Beowulf's rear anymore, lol (you can't tell as much with this smaller screenshot). I also moved the leaf.

This morning when I was reading the replies I just about died when I figured out I had flattened my PSD (Photoshop file) accidentally. I had to recreate the entire page.

It was worth doing it over though. I have to have layers to move around and I will use this cover as a future template....still...wanted to pull my hair out, lol.

Anyway, thanks for the help!

cover4.JPG

Please tell me what the white lines are. I'm going to start wondering in my sleep.

LOL, they are from an illustration inside the book the shows the path of the sun in the sky the summer vs. the path of the sun in the sky in the winter. I wanted to show kids how the sun's path is higher in the sky in the summer and lower in the winter (while explaining how the light is more direct/indirect). The white line and the picture of the sun/sky is from that illustration. 

I attached a crummy little screenshot of the illustration so you can see what I mean. :-)

post-4221-0-11593900-1423094554_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

"A Guest Hollow Guide"

Guide is a short word (so you can keep your font size as-is), a bit of repetition in the syllables (therefore more memorable), and it's a reusable term for more science and activity books.

Tibbie, I owe you a free book, since I went with your suggestion for my series name. PM me with your email address! :-)

• Like 1

I don't need a book but I said "guide" too.

*stomps foot, sticks out bottom lip and pouts*

;)

Joking aside, I'm glad you went with guide and I had a moment of "hey, I sorta helped with that!". Thanks for letting "us" in on your adventure!

:)

Best wishes!

AHHHH! You are right! You get a free book too! PM me with your email address and I'll send you the info on how to get them for free. I will give you a gold star if you post what you think after looking them over, LOL... ;-)

• Like 1