Menu

McCain picked Sarah Palen, Governor of Alaska, as VP

Mrs. Mungo let up already! Good grief...she's a new poster.

I'm going to assume you posted that before you saw the latest. :lol:

And being new is not an excuse to wiggle out of an argument. Although, it has not been my experience that true newbies on a board jump right into the political threads.

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the clothespin I was gonna wear in the ballot booth. (Thought about selling some at Cafepress with "McCain '08" on them...)

I am greatly encouraged by his choice of Sarah Palin. I'm not the type who votes for a person based on "identity." Palin's a great choice for a lot of political reasons. She does have appeal to a wide variety of demographic groups -- union members, blue-collar workers, outdoorsmen, gun owners, and moms, of course. Obama may know the price fluctuations of arugula at Whole Foods, but Palin strikes me more as a bag salad kind of gal.

She's gained a reputation as a reformer for her defeat of Frank Murkowski in the 2006 election; her opposition to the "Bridge to Nowhere" pork project, which placed her at odds with the congressional delegation in her own party. I think it will be refreshing to have someone in Washington who hasn't spent the last ten years trading favors and "bringing home the bacon" to the district.

I also like what I've heard so far about her positions on energy independence. You'd hope an Alaskan governor would know a thing or two about ANWR. Plus, she worked out a deal (with a Canadian company, IIRC) to build a natural gas pipeline in Alaska.

Obama doesn't appear to have anything on his resume even close to that. The only executive experience he might claim to have is on the Annenberg Challenge educational project with domestic terrorist William Ayers, and after spending $100 million, the group didn't do jack squat to improve education in Chicago. And the Obama team is actively working to suppress media coverage about any specifics regarding his "experience" there.

It begs the question, what has Obama actually done in office? He'd barely unpacked his bags in Washington before announcing his bid to run for President. He got to Washington in a cakewalk election as it was. But what has he championed? What bills has he *worked* to pass, as opposed to merely voting for or "co-sponsoring?" (Probably stuff I'd hate, since he's ranked as the most liberal guy in the Senate. Biden is #3, I believe. Still, I don't see any legislative evidence of Obama's claim that he can unite R's and D's.)

And what has Biden done in office? He's pretty good at getting re-elected, but other than that plagiarism accusation years ago, and his terminal case of foot-in-mouth disease, can any of you tell me about the leadership he's shown over the decades he's been drawing a paycheck from us?

This article says it better than I have about the "experience" question: http://www.law.upenn.edu/blogs/dskeel/archives/2008/08/palin_obama_and_the_experience.html

Well, whatever your political leanings, I think you'll agree it's been a momentous week in the history of American electoral politics.

Lots of people are saying it. I imagine if it is repeated long enough, enough people will believe it's true. But I'm not seeing it.

And to my ears, "superiority complex" in a confident smart man who is biracial is just a little close to "uppity." I don't remember EVER hearing this description of a candidate before, not even a very cocky, uber-confident candidate. Not even John Edwards, who was just a teeny bit on the "can't touch that" side of the house.

But maybe I'm just being too sensitive about this.

Your radar seems to be set to the "Obama critics are just closet racists" frequency. (I hope I'm wrong about that.) Talk about putting words in people's mouths... Look, I don't care if the guy looks like... hmmm, Insert Your Favorite Handsome White Guy's Name Here. His policies, proposals, and demeanor leave me cold.

If you do any looking around at all at sources beyond the MSM and Daily Kos, you'll find plenty of instances of Obama looking down at "the little people." Remember the "guns and religion" thing at the San Francisco fundraiser? And the ersatz presidential seal? C'mon, that's just a tad arrogant, doncha think? I know we've NEVER seen *that* before, not even from John "Windsurfer" Kerry.

If you've never heard the phrase "superiority complex" uttered before, then you've never followed politics much. Can't say I blame you. We political junkies are total oddballs. ;)

So although I have no doubt that you are right and that conservatives are underrepresented at HYP, it doesn't mean they aren't there.

It does point out how rare they are, though.

Has he mismanaged his money? Taken on inappropriate debt?

Two words: Tony Rezko.

Obama also has a pattern of throwing close associates under the bus when it suits him politically. Jeremiah Wright, his "typical white person" grandmother who raised him, his nameless "staffers" who are supposedly responsible for any gaffes on his part... He used to talk about his superior judgment, but he had to drop all that talk once he started facing criticism for the people he's surrounded himself with over the years as close friends and advisors.

Your radar seems to be set to the "Obama critics are just closet racists" frequency. (I hope I'm wrong about that.)

Not my intention. I'm an Obama critic myself, in fact, although I'm more of a seeker critic.

I was raised by and around racists, though. And I'm probably just over sensitive. The nuances disturb me. (Not from here necessarily, and not particularly from the post to which I replied, but from media folks who I think should know better and who say it with just a tiny little infuriating sneer.)

That's the game of politics, not some brainy, on the spot decision.

Yeah, like that brainy, on the spot decision to announce Obama's pick of Biden to six million people via text message at 3:30 in the morning... on a Saturday! After the MSM started leaking the news at 11 a.m. on Friday! OOPS! Lots of ticked-off people last weekend.

You are being honest I appreciate that. I consider the position that education does not speak to you to be very tellng as to why this candidate is appealing.

Here's a little fact-check on the educational level of Presidents. Yes, most presidents received a college education, but note the following:

According to this, Harry S. Truman was the only U.S. President not to receive a college education. From Wiki: "Truman was the only president who served after 1897 not to earn a college degree: poor eyesight prevented him from applying to West Point, his childhood dream, and financial constraints prevented him from securing a degree elsewhere.[6] He did, however, study for two years toward a law degree at the Kansas City Law School (now the University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law) in the early 1920s."

Yet, I think that most of us on these boards--Democrats and Republicans--would agree that he was a very good President! I wouldn't let the fact that Sarah Palin was "only" a communications major sway me one way or another. I don't necessarily think that everyone who becomes President or Vice President has to have a law degree from Harvard or Yale. I don't know much about her yet, but she sounds like a pretty gutsy woman to me. The real issue here is: is she or is she not qualified for the job of VP? What is her record in Alaska? How has she dealt with corruption? What is her position on political issues facing us---energy, Iraq, etc. etc.? Those are the real issues. What her major in college was is a straw man, I believe.

I finally got a chance to watch her whole speech last night and it solidified my impression- she has NO CLUE what she is doing up there. And considering the fact that, when she was being vetted, she asked a reporter on CNBC, "What exactly does the Vice President do," this pick is a prime example of McCain's lack of judgment and lack of respect for women.

http://www.theyoungturks.com/story/2008/8/29/164451/401/Diary/-quot-What-is-it-exactly-that-the-Vice-President-does-every-day-quot-

There are so many very strong female Republicans but he picked the former beauty queen with no experience and little education. That is a slap in the fact to intelligent, progressive women like Hillary Clinton and her supporters - not to mention all of those who have fought for women's rights for the last 100 years.

Maybe I am odd but they had better be superior in every way I do not want someone just like my neighbor nor do I care if it is someone I can have a beer with...I want intelligence, integrity and experience in government.

I think Palin has demonstrated that she has intelligence and integrity. I wish she had a few more years of experience, but her accomplishments during her time in office speak for themselves. Lack of a Harvard law degree does not in any way imply intellectual inferiority.

I think Palin has demonstrated that she has intelligence and integrity. I wish she had a few more years of experience, but her accomplishments during her time in office speak for themselves. Lack of a Harvard law degree does not in any way imply intellectual inferiority.

Yeah, that's funny because a degree from Yale did nothing for Bush's rep. :lol:

Here's a little fact-check on the educational level of Presidents. Yes, most presidents received a college education, but note the following:

According to this, Harry S. Truman was the only U.S. President not to receive a college education. From Wiki: "Truman was the only president who served after 1897 not to earn a college degree: poor eyesight prevented him from applying to West Point, his childhood dream, and financial constraints prevented him from securing a degree elsewhere.[6] He did, however, study for two years toward a law degree at the Kansas City Law School (now the University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law) in the early 1920s."

Yet, I think that most of us on these boards--Democrats and Republicans--would agree that he was a very good President! I wouldn't let the fact that Sarah Palin was "only" a communications major sway me one way or another. I don't necessarily think that everyone who becomes President or Vice President has to have a law degree from Harvard or Yale. I don't know much about her yet, but she sounds like a pretty gutsy woman to me. The real issue here is: is she or is she not qualified for the job of VP? What is her record in Alaska? How has she dealt with corruption? What is her position on political issues facing us---energy, Iraq, etc. etc.? Those are the real issues. What her major in college was is a straw man, I believe.

I think it is ridiculous to say because she wasn't "groomed" to be VP she isn't up to it intellectually. In fact, I'd say it would say it improves her standing as far as the last 20 years go.

Bush - Yale

Clinton - Georgetown

Bush - Yale

Reagan - Eureka College?

Who was the most effective of those presidents? Who didn't do 'business as usual' and actually accomplished something?

I'm guessing Mrs. Palin didn't elope with her highschool sweetheart with the thought - "Hmmm, someday I might be VP." She lived a real, honest life and got into politics after the fact. I'm not sure that's a bad thing. Apparently having an Ivy league education isn't what makes a Great (with a capital G) president.

I think it is ridiculous to say because she wasn't "groomed" to be VP she isn't up to it intellectually. In fact, I'd say it would say it improves her standing as far as the last 20 years go.

Bush - Yale

Clinton - Georgetown

Bush - Yale

Reagan - Eureka College?

Who was the most effective of those presidents? Who didn't do 'business as usual' and actually accomplished something?

:iagree: Do we really want 4 more years of business as usual with the Good 'ol Boys from the Ivy League?

And when was the last time a POTUS or VPOTUS had an 80% approval rating? Certainly not in my lifetime: http://uspolitics.about.com/od/polls/l/bl_historical_approval.htm

I think it says something for her that she has an 80% approval rating with only 2 years experience. My hope is that if she gets the job, she won't become jaded and decide the fight isn't worth it.

To loosely quote "Princess Bride", you keep saying that it is a slap in the face to women, but I don't think it means what you think it means. Now if you say, "It is a slap in the face to some liberal, women", then fine. I can't think of a single Republican woman who does as much for McCain's disaffected base as she does, or might be able to sway some independents as she might. Have you noticed that there has been barely a peep of dissent from us board conservatives, and even some libertarians, on whether she in a great pick? Do you think Kay Bailey Hutchison would have done a thing for McCain, other than further alienate an already suspicious party? She's another old Washington senator.:glare: KBH is my own senator, and if she had been the choice I would still be singing the "Ron Paul" tune. I may yet, as I stated before, once the euphoria has worn off. But it won't be Sarah'cuda's fault. I wish she were at the TOP of the ticket.

I finally got a chance to watch her whole speech last night and it solidified my impression- she has NO CLUE what she is doing up there. And considering the fact that, when she was being vetted, she asked a reporter on CNBC, "What exactly does the Vice President do," this pick is a prime example of McCain's lack of judgment and lack of respect for women.

http://www.theyoungturks.com/story/2008/8/29/164451/401/Diary/-quot-What-is-it-exactly-that-the-Vice-President-does-every-day-quot-

There are so many very strong female Republicans but he picked the former beauty queen with no experience and little education. That is a slap in the fact to intelligent, progressive women like Hillary Clinton and her supporters - not to mention all of those who have fought for women's rights for the last 100 years.

To loosely quote "Princess Bride"' date=' you keep saying that it is a slap in the face to women, but I don't think it means what you think it means. Now if you say, "It is a slap in the face to [i']some[/i] liberal, women", then fine. I can't think of a single Republican woman who does as much for McCain's disaffected base as she does, or might be able to sway some independents as she might. Have you noticed that there has been barely a peep of dissent from us board conservatives, and even some libertarians, on whether she in a great pick? Do you think Kay Bailey Hutchison would have done a thing for McCain, other than further alienate an already suspicious party? She's another old Washington senator.:glare: KBH is my own senator, and if she had been the choice I would still be singing the "Ron Paul" tune. I may yet, as I stated before, once the euphoria has worn off. But it won't be Sarah'cuda's fault. I wish she were at the TOP of the ticket.

No, it is my opinion that it's a slap in the face to all women, and all we have fought for for the last 100 years. Sure, he picked a woman, but he picked the one that conservative men are least likely to be threatened by, one that "knows her place" so to speak.

The Republicans are experts at alienating a large number of party members.

This assumes that all women agree with liberal women about "what we fought for". Knows her place, sheesh. The woman is carrying around a breastfeeding baby in a sling, while signing bills, and gladhanding politicians and officials. You don't think that's a bit different? You think men are used to that? :D

No, it is my opinion that it's a slap in the face to all women, and all we have fought for for the last 100 years. Sure, he picked a woman, but he picked the one that conservative men are least likely to be threatened by, one that "knows her place" so to speak.

the clothespin I was gonna wear in the ballot booth. (Thought about selling some at Cafepress with "McCain '08" on them...)

I am greatly encouraged by his choice of Sarah Palin. I'm not the type who votes for a person based on "identity." Palin's a great choice for a lot of political reasons. She does have appeal to a wide variety of demographic groups -- union members, blue-collar workers, outdoorsmen, gun owners, and moms, of course. Obama may know the price fluctuations of arugula at Whole Foods, but Palin strikes me more as a bag salad kind of gal.

She's gained a reputation as a reformer for her defeat of Frank Murkowski in the 2006 election; her opposition to the "Bridge to Nowhere" pork project, which placed her at odds with the congressional delegation in her own party. I think it will be refreshing to have someone in Washington who hasn't spent the last ten years trading favors and "bringing home the bacon" to the district.

I also like what I've heard so far about her positions on energy independence. You'd hope an Alaskan governor would know a thing or two about ANWR. Plus, she worked out a deal (with a Canadian company, IIRC) to build a natural gas pipeline in Alaska.

Obama doesn't appear to have anything on his resume even close to that. The only executive experience he might claim to have is on the Annenberg Challenge educational project with domestic terrorist William Ayers, and after spending $100 million, the group didn't do jack squat to improve education in Chicago. And the Obama team is actively working to suppress media coverage about any specifics regarding his "experience" there.

It begs the question, what has Obama actually done in office? He'd barely unpacked his bags in Washington before announcing his bid to run for President. He got to Washington in a cakewalk election as it was. But what has he championed? What bills has he *worked* to pass, as opposed to merely voting for or "co-sponsoring?" (Probably stuff I'd hate, since he's ranked as the most liberal guy in the Senate. Biden is #3, I believe. Still, I don't see any legislative evidence of Obama's claim that he can unite R's and D's.)

And what has Biden done in office? He's pretty good at getting re-elected, but other than that plagiarism accusation years ago, and his terminal case of foot-in-mouth disease, can any of you tell me about the leadership he's shown over the decades he's been drawing a paycheck from us?

This article says it better than I have about the "experience" question: http://www.law.upenn.edu/blogs/dskeel/archives/2008/08/palin_obama_and_the_experience.html

Well, whatever your political leanings, I think you'll agree it's been a momentous week in the history of American electoral politics.

Excellent post, Brenda! I am all out of rep, dang! I will get you later.:001_smile:

What is it about her that makes you think she "knows her place?"

The impression I get is that she says exactly what she thinks, and does what she thinks is right.

Have you read any background on her political dealings in Alaska during the past years?

How is nominating a woman who lives life on her own terms a slap in the face to anyone?

If you've never heard the phrase "superiority complex" uttered before, then you've never followed politics much.

Certainly you've never heard ME talk about Edwards then. I'm pretty sure "superiority complex" and other associated phrases left my fingers frequently. And then things I know I've said about Bill Clinton ... if I said about Obama the things I've said about Clinton or Edwards, I'd be labelled a racist.

I think that MOST big politicians have a superiority complex. It just depends on whether they've let it run away with themselves, or whether they keep it in check.

I heard an interesting comment today about her "worthiness" as a national candidate. Who says a governor from Alaska is any less prepared than, say, a governor from Arkansas????

I think she's exactly the kind of person we need in Washington. When she makes it there, I'm hoping she doesn't get sucked into the political vacuum that seems to suck the integrity out of so many politicians.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/015/500wrhjq.asp

I don't usually like Bill Kristol, but this article is spot on. If you read it, AoJediA, maybe you will understand her appeal to a huge portion of American voters, even if she doesn't appeal to you.

It also urges McCain to let Sarah be Sarah, and not micromanage her.

This assumes that all women agree with liberal women about "what we fought for". Knows her place' date=' [/i']sheesh. The woman is carrying around a breastfeeding baby in a sling, while signing bills, and gladhanding politicians and officials. You don't think that's a bit different? You think men are used to that? :D

Yeah, her breastfeeding experience has a lot to do with making sure women have access to affordable day care.

Hmm, I don't feel slapped. I feel new hope for the Republican party and for this election. She doesn't threaten conservative men? She knows her place? Tell that to the old boys network in Alaska. She exposed ethics violations in her own party more than once based on the reading I did yesterday.

A lot of Republicans who felt alienated by McCain's nomination are feeling much less alienated today. Palin's selection is pulling the party back together.

Yeah, her breastfeeding experience has a lot to do with making sure women have access to affordable day care.

I don't believe that for a minute.

I do believe her gutsy "Watch me be a hands on mom AND have a powerful career" is anything but a slap in the face for women.

What have the feminists been fighting for, anyway? The right to make your own choices and live life on your own terms, or just the right to be a liberal? Perhaps I have misunderstood the fight for equality and it was all a ruse to force women into a liberal box?

Yeah, she is such a good mother who stands up for her way of life so much that she is on a platform AGAINST legislation helping special needs children when she is a special needs parent.

46% of female McCain supporters do not want Roe Vs. Wade overturned. He is not listening to the women in his own party, merely expecting Hillary Clinton supporters to be so stupid they will vote for Dan Quayle in a dress.

Yeah, she is such a good mother who stands up for her way of life so much that she is on a platform AGAINST legislation helping special needs children when she is a special needs parent.

Link please? I am the mom of a special kiddo, so this would definitely be of interest to me.

Let me set the record straight. I don't know if she is good for our country or not. Personal attacks on her choices as a woman are just infuriating to me. I might not like her politics when I have read all the articles and studied some more. But whether I like her politics or not, I respect her choices. I respect that Mr. Obama appears to be a faithful husband and involved father. I respect that Mr. Biden knows about loss and suffering in a way that cuts to the bone. I respect that Mr. McCain is brave and faced suffering with grace and courage.

I think it's okay to say "Hey, I like her personal life choices".

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/015/500wrhjq.asp

I don't usually like Bill Kristol' date=' but this article is spot on. If you read it, AoJediA, maybe you will understand her appeal to a huge portion of American voters, even if she doesn't appeal to you.

It also urges McCain to let Sarah be Sarah, and not micromanage her.[/quote']

Yes, that article is spot on.

Thanks for that link.

Good question.

I think a woman "can" be in charge of our military and even do a better job than any man. But I agree with the main point of this article, i.e., that when God appoints a woman to hold a political office, it can be interpreted as part of His displeasure with that nation generally, and with the men in that nation particularly. If, as the article points out, a political office is a function of the sword, then its a sign of a people's weakness for a woman's hand to be the strongest to wield it. Unfortunately, women are regularly called upon to do the job of abdicating men. Shame on the men who abdicate.

I'm just curious- what about Joan of Arc? Was she called because all the French men were too weak?

I do believe her gutsy "Watch me be a hands on mom AND have a powerful career" is anything but a slap in the face for women.

What have the feminists been fighting for, anyway? The right to make your own choices and live life on your own terms, or just the right to be a liberal? Perhaps I have misunderstood the fight for equality and it was all a ruse to force women into a liberal box?

Where is the standing ovation smiling?

Here is a big thank you from a feminist conservative mom who has a great career AND homeschools her children...it can be done...women CAN do both. And just because I think women are equal to men and should be allowed to run the country (for example) does NOT mean I am a liberal and this nomination is ANYTHING but a slap in the face. In fact, I think it has done much more to move women forward that Hillary would have done.

I gotta agree with Kelli.

so "strong" is only how YOU want to define it, right?

you have just thrown a blanket statement over anyone who DARES enter a beauty contest. You must be right --they are all idiots who don't have a brain cell in their head.

and "no" experience is a blatant lie. Little experience? sure. But you don't have to resort to a complete lie to make your point.

"little education" --so if she only has a particular degree from some Ivy League college, that's the only kind of education that counts? That's a pretty gutsy statement to make on a homeschooling board ;)

I also find it interesting that her EXPERIENCE [as actually running a state]tends to count more than her EDUCATION [which wasn't in politics], yet you used "no experience" and "little education."

but if we don't feel slapped in the face, does that mean we're NOT intelligent? cuz surely we'd be on board if only we knew better?

and as has been stated before --she was not picked to gain Hillary supporters. He needed a solid conservative to get his OWN base cuz he's so far left of most conservatives. And even that won't be enough because many of us conservatives still won't vote for McCain.

and yeah -- she has really shown how women's rights have failed over the last 100 years. Running a state and all that. what is she THINKING!??

and Kelli--

I'll check on it, but I'm betting the "platform" she's 'on' against helping special needs children is some blurb in the Republican party platform about not supporting stem cell research. Or more federal funding of another program. Being against federal funding for something does not make one against legislation helping special needs parents --it means they recognize the federal gvt has limitations on what it should and should not be doing. i like that part.

but we'll definitely wait to see what exactly it is Jedi's talking about

Quote:

Originally Posted by rowan-tree

My point exactly - a woman is not made to fight.

Clearly, you don't know me that well. :lol:

I gotta agree w/ Mrs. Mungo here, lol.

rowan, there is a big difference between not being able or made to fight, vs CHOOSING not to fight. Since you're new, Note that MM specifically referenced the BAN button: per the rules of this board, if she were to demonstrate exactly what she CAN do, she'd be banned.

Because it would be a Very. Thorough. Complete. Fight. ;)