Menu

We are up to the wonderful temperature of zero degrees.

Luanne

I live in northern Colorado.  No one in this house (my mother, my daughter, or myself) has left the house at all today.  We warmed up the car to go up and get the mail earlier.  We didn't even want to walk that short distance in this cold.

And the temperature is in Fahrenheit.

I know I am the old one out but I love it when it is that cold. :leaving:

Everybody keeps asking me about the cold in a "complain about the weather" kind of way. I keep shrugging my shoulders and telling them the cold doesn't bother me as long as I have heat in my car and house.

I'm a firm believer that you can only have one weather complaint. I reserve my whining for the heat of the summer. :)

I'm north of Denver and it was a high of 9 today, and is currently back down to -4.  Oddly I didn't find it ridiculously cold. The only way I'd really notice it would be if the winds were high and I was outside for a while and underdressed w/ expose skin.

Speaking of which...DH & I were in the hot tub last night when it was -9 degrees and the hot tub was 101. No problem until we had to get out.

Everybody keeps asking me about the cold in a "complain about the weather" kind of way. I keep shrugging my shoulders and telling them the cold doesn't bother me as long as I have heat in my car and house.

I'm a firm believer that you can only have one weather complaint. I reserve my whining for the heat of the summer. :)

I agree! Don't whine all winter AND all summer. It gets old fast. Pick the one you hate the most and whine about that one.

I live in the South and have never experienced the weather about which you are talking. It always has fascinated me though. Last winter the temperature got down to 12 degrees as the lowest low, which caused the public schools to delay school because of kids waiting outside for the bus. People don't have the clothes for such temperatures.

I've been reading "On the Banks of Plum Creek" to dd, and we just finished the part where Pa is stuck in a blizzard for 3 days on the prairie. I've been trying to explain what a blizzard is to my dd without scaring her, because my mom says I was worried I'd be stuck at school because of blizzards when I was her age. So have you all experienced blizzards where you can't see outside and can't go outside for fear of being lost?

I just looked at the weather report for southern Virginia for the rest of this week and it's going down into the 40s.  I guess now I'm officially in for the winter and sitting by my heater, LOL! 

I live in northern Colorado.  No one in this house (my mother, my daughter, or myself) has left the house at all today.  We warmed up the car to go up and get the mail earlier.  We didn't even want to walk that short distance in this cold.

And the temperature is in Fahrenheit.

This is a funny thing I experienced when I moved south  -not having the proper clothes.  I grew up in northern NYS - probably as cold as Colorado in winter, except with lovely lake-effect snow off the Great Lakes to add to the pleasure.  I found out that clothes in the south are made lighter, even when they are the same clothes.  A winter puffy coat is paper thin compared to what you'd find up north, for example; even if it's from the same retailer.  I thought that was weird. 

I live in the South and have never experienced the weather about which you are talking. It always has fascinated me though. Last winter the temperature got down to 12 degrees as the lowest low, which caused the public schools to delay school because of kids waiting outside for the bus. People don't have the clothes for such temperatures.

I've been reading "On the Banks of Plum Creek" to dd, and we just finished the part where Pa is stuck in a blizzard for 3 days on the prairie. I've been trying to explain what a blizzard is to my dd without scaring her, because my mom says I was worried I'd be stuck at school because of blizzards when I was her age. So have you all experienced blizzards where you can't see outside and can't go outside for fear of being lost?

Yes, we've experienced that here in PA in the past.  I was younger, still a kid at home at the time, but yes. And if I recall correctly, it snowed a ton that year on top of that! ;)

I live in Southern California and I get cold when it drops below 70. It's 56 and overcast right now, finally starting to feel like what passes for fall here. This thread makes me feel like such a wimp!

Because we are wimps. Sincerely, Freezing in San Diego at 64F. ;)

I have to say I haven't experienced blizzards like you were describing.  I will say that I have experienced snowfalls of up to 3 feet where we couldn't leave our house for a couple of days until we were dug out.  My parents got snowed in at my grandparent's farm one time.  It was Thanksgiving and my grandparents were in Arizona so my parents were alone out there and no one knew anyone was there (it's a farm in the middle of nowhere).  Fortunately a neighbor came by dug them out three days after they were stuck there. 

Where I live they regularly shut down roads in and out of towns because of blowing snow (blizzards) so you literally can't get on the interstates and highways to leave. You stay put. They have gates at the sides of the main roads in and out of towns to physically shut them down. So yes. 

I lived in Indiana in high school, and I remember wind chills in the -50F range, and sometimes you couldn't see the front of our one-story house because of the snow drifts in front of it. :ack2:

Denver made the news today with the snow and frigid temps, and I don't think it's going to warm up anytime soon! :ack2:

It's a "balmy" 35F here in Alabama, and I am wearing my Subzero running tights inside my sweatpants and snow boots -inside the house. :o

I live in Southern California and I get cold when it drops below 70. It's 56 and overcast right now, finally starting to feel like what passes for fall here. This thread makes me feel like such a wimp!

Don't feel like a wimp! When I live in SoCal, I get cold in the 60s. It is a totally different kind of air, so temps feel so different. Even my family darn near froze when they visited San Diego at Christmas two years ago - they came from the Canadian prairies! :-)