Menu

How Much Did You pay for Jacobs Algebra?

I got my 3-piece set about 8 years ago through a used curriculum sale board for about $35. The set included: textbook, teacher guide, and test masters book. They were all in very good condition. (The 2nd ed. of Jacobs Geometry is more expensive as it is even harder to find. I bought that set close to the same time as the Algebra, for about $50.) As these are out of print and in high demand, I can only imagine the price has continued to rise since I bought mine.

On the other hand, purchasing a complete level of a brand new high school math is not cheap, either. Algebra 1 for other programs retails anywhere from $60 (Art of Problem Solving, text and TG)  to  $120 (Saxon home kit) to $185 (Teaching Textbooks, text and CDs) to $419 (Chalkdust, text and DVDs). I guess it is all a matter of perspective. :)

High school is expensive, no matter how you slice it. I always figured that if I could do a subject for less than $150, I was beating the average. ;)

BEST of luck! Warmest regards, Lori D. 

I bought three copies at three different points in time over the past two years or so, all in the neighborhood of $50 each.  The price was very high at the beginning of this school year but has come down quite a bit recently.  There are a couple "acceptable" used copies on Amazon in the 40s today, and I'd probably get one of those if I were in the market right now.  I'm cheap though - I take chances sometimes if it'll save me twenty or thirty bucks.  If there were something closer in price but of slightly better quality I'd go with that, but there isn't today.

I paid $48 for my used copy but ds found the answers in the back were cut out.  Very well I might add b/c we had this book for awhile until he noticed it.  I had told him to check his answer....and the answer key wasn't there.  

I bought it from a local homeschool used bookstore and they had several.  Most were priced $50-75.  I sold some items to them for credit and basically got it on my credit.  I probably could have made more money selling elsewhere, but they had the book I wanted so I just didn't care, lol.

I would seek out a homeschool bookstore locally or online and see if they have it.  

I recently sold mine on Amazon for $40.  It was in "very good" but I needed the $, so I priced it low to get it out the door.  IMHO that's actually not bad for a hardback book.  The book I use for one of the college classes I teach is a paperback and costs $140!

I paid $95 back in March. I looked around for the best price, but apparently I didn't look hard enough. ;). Now it's sitting on my shelf & I'm unsure if we're even going to use it. I've got one kid that I ended up putting in AoPS PA, but I'm thinking Jacobs might be a perfect fit for my 2nd. We shall see :).

I got lucky at used homeschool book sale I guess because I only paid twenty bucks for both the Jacobs Algebra and Mathematics human endeavor with teachers guide and student work books. I keep kicking myself for not picking up Jacobs geometry for ten bucks more. I would see if you have a used homeschool booksale. Ours comes at the end of the year and is put on by a local homeschool group. I buy ahead and I just waited till it was the end of the sale. By that time they just want to get rid of it. In my area they all seem to know Saxon so those go fast but no one apparently knows Jacob. Good luck.

Does anyone know the difference between Jacob's Introduction to Algebra and Elementary Algebra? Now I see it the first names are different, somehow that slipped past me :)

Is this the Introduction to Algebra that you found? If so, it's the wrong Jacobs. You want Harold, not Russell. :)

You guys made me go check my old Elementary Algebra book. The price tag was still stuck on the back cover. Looks like I paid $49.95 for a new copy of Jacobs approximately 15 years ago!

Have you looked on abebooks.com?

There are three copies of Jacobs Algebra for around $20.

I may be wrong, but looking at the ISBN numbers, it looks like these are the test masters. Which is really too bad, because I would love to find a copy of the textbook itself for that amount!

I may be wrong, but looking at the ISBN numbers, it looks like these are the test masters. Which is really too bad, because I would love to find a copy of the textbook itself for that amount!

oh, sorry about that . I just searched for the title and did not check the images/ISBNs.

My bad.

Amazon $23.97 including shipping.

Might not even use it with any of the kids. But, it is on the shelf for extra practice problems just in case.

Now, I just bought Jurgensen's Geometry for less than $15 and I'm really hoping to use that one.

I got a copy for $10 used on amazon about 2 years ago. It had a library binding and some writing and smelled musty. Its poor condition probably did have some influence on my choice to use Foerster instead. If you're committed to Jacobs, get a nicer copy than I had.

Good catch, momto2Cs.  If it helps, the ISBN for the Elementary Algebra text is 9780716710479 (or 0716710471).

AFAIK there is only one edition (1979) with multiple printings (the book I am looking at is the thirteenth printing, 2003).

Wow, there is a HUGE sample of this on Google books. I'm going to check out some of it with ds. I bought Jacob's MHE as a cheap way to test out Jacob's style with him but reading so far the beginning of the Algebra book is quite gentle enough we could easily do it now and I don't know that I don't like it better than MHE.

It's super gentle! Shannon is finishing up Ch. 3 today and will do her first test next week.  I keep checking with her - how's it going - she says fine, easy.  

Of course, that makes me worry that it's too easy, but that is just my neuroses speaking.  I'm not LISTENING to you, crazy voices!!!!  :svengo:  ;)  :D

Okay, someone tell me how I did! On ebay, I bought Jacobs Elementary Algebra for $45 and Jacobs Mathematics: A Human Endeavor for $15. I feel like I could have caught a better deal for Jacobs if I'd waited, but I don't think I did too badly. When do the prices go back up again?

ETA: I didn't get any Teachers manuals or tests with either book. Just the textbooks.

It seems likeva lot until I remember that all my university texts were $100 plus unless you could pick them up second hand. Luckily our lecturers never saw our books so we used old editions, shared and used the library copies. For at least one course I used another textbook altogether. I remind myself of this every time I buy a book.

I paid $30 for the book and solution manual off a used homeschool curriculum site, but that was at least 2 years ago... maybe 3? My son was either 7 or 8. :lol: We'll be using it later this year or beginning of next year, depending on how quickly we finish up the rest of AoPS Prealgebra.

This was definitely more expensive than my other buy-ahead purchases... Dolciani Prealgebra was $6 shipped, Foerster Algebra was $10 local, Dolciani Algebra was about $3 local. Jacobs was still cheaper than most new options though, and I got a great deal on it. Glad I bought ahead!

You need a solutions manual.  I have the Teacher's Guide, which has solutions to the ones that aren't in the back of the text - Set I, III, and IV.  So far I haven't used the lessons, as we're still in the easy/review early chapters.  I have her do Set I, III, and IV for each lesson, and then check them herself using the TG.

She aced her first test today, Ch. 1-3!  So, so far so good.

You need a solutions manual. I have the Teacher's Guide, which has solutions to the ones that aren't in the back of the text - Set I, III, and IV. So far I haven't used the lessons, as we're still in the easy/review early chapters. I have her do Set I, III, and IV for each lesson, and then check them herself using the TG.

She aced her first test today, Ch. 1-3! So, so far so good.

Rose, how long will it take Shannon to finish both Algebra 1 and pre-geometry? What follows as geometry? Jacob's or Jurgenson?

I really don't know.  I have all of 7th and 8th grade scheduled for it - Jacobs, plus Understanding Geometry, plus a statistics & probability unit.  At the rate she did the first 3 chapters, she'd be done by about this time next year, but I expect she will slow down quite a bit when she gets into new material.  That gives us plenty of time to review, consolidate, etc. Maybe do Bridge Math? I'm considering Spectrum Chemistry for 9th, so doing Bridge Math in 8th might be smart.  Or tackle the AoPS Intro Algebra book?  We could go through and do all the Review sections as well as the "extra" topics.  I don't really have a plan for this yet.  But I don't really want to start Geometry until 9th grade.  At this point, I think we'll use Jacobs, as we're really liking his Algebra book.  

I haven't seen Jurgensen's, though I keep hearing it mentioned. La-la-la-la-la! I can't *hear* you when you mention another math book I must check out!!  ;)  :D

Shannon likes doing blocks of math.  I think she'll do 3-chapter chunks of Jacobs, then review and test on that section, then do 2-3 chapters of UG. She doesn't think she like Geometry, and is kind of intimidated by it, but she loves Algebra.  I'm hoping this system works to build her confidence with Geometry, while making sure she doesn't forget either one!  We'll see how it goes.