Menu

Go ahead and eat the mouldy bread

Laura Corin

"Some cheeses, of course, are deliberately infected with fungi. Penicillium roqueforti gives blue cheeses such as stilton and roquefort their flavour."

Does that mean that if you are allergic to penicillin you should not eat blue cheeses?

What a good question!  I'd like to know the answer to that, as well.

(Not that I'm going to eat blue cheese, because, well, it tastes of mold!  Never has been a favorite here.)

The fungi the medication is made from comes from mold from a canteloupe so a bit different but basically penicillum mold is the blue green mold that grows on many things/  Do not decide to use moldy food instead of antibiotics from a pharmacy since any food item that is turning moldy is likely to have more than one type of mold growing and some are deadly.

I've always been tempted to try the mold.  I wonder what it tastes like.

:lol:

(I never said I was normal.)

It tastes pretty gross actually, like eating particularly unpleasant chalk. 

I've accidentally picked up a piece of cheese and eaten it without noticing there was mold on the bottom which should have been cut off. 

It tastes pretty gross actually, like eating particularly unpleasant chalk. 

I've accidentally picked up a piece of cheese and eaten it without noticing there was mold on the bottom which should have been cut off. 

unpleasant chalk...is there pleasant chalk?  LOL

I did once have cheese where I cut the mold off and it didn't really work.  It tasted like ...an old rank damp cellar. 

If it's more than one or two little spots for the bread, I won't. I have tasted mold too many times. I'm more generous with cheese, but I've still gotten burned by putting moldy mozzerella in a dish and regretting it. It looks like it all off, but the taste says otherwise.

What a good question!  I'd like to know the answer to that, as well.

(Not that I'm going to eat blue cheese, because, well, it tastes of mold!  Never has been a favorite here.)

Not always! But if I were to send you a sample of the lovely "Beginners blue" I buy um, everyone I ever meet who claims not to like blue cheese, it would by the time it got to your house.  :crying:

I ate enough moldy bread as a child. I'm done with that. I do toast the heck out of or make bread crumbs from slices with the slightest hint of early mold scrapped off but otherwise, I toss it.

I don't eat heavily slimed veggies but I have cut off slight to moderate slime spots no problem. I am not wasting whole heads of cauliflower or broccoli due to slight mushy spots.

I really dislike dairy and eat very little cheese so the cheese thing is mostly moot for me. I will eat and serve very hard cheeses that I have cut a little mold from. Any vaguely soft cheese? It gets pitched at the slightest hint of mold.

I used to cook for Food Not Bombs every week with a big group when I was a teenager. I got very good at telling the usable and unusable parts of questionable food from the donations we received. I ate everything we cooked and never got sick.

There are enough people starving in this world that I have extremely limited patience for the "eww, leftovers" mentality and people who pitch a whole pound of strawberries because 2 of them have mold.

Does that mean that if you are allergic to penicillin you should not eat blue cheeses?

I was just looking for some info for my youngest on how to look at mold under a microscope. There was a caution there not to look at mold if you are allergic to penicillin.  I thought that was interesting. I wonder, too, if an individual would be sensitive to those particular cheeses.  Off to google.  

I can always smell the bread going bad before the mold is actually visible.  I can't stand that smell, so it goes in the trash.  

I've read that you can cut the mold off of hard cheeses, but not soft.  I've read the same thing about fruits and vegetables.  

I've only done it with cheddar cheese.  It tasted fine.  I toss slimy fruits, severely bruised/rotting fruit, and slimy vegetables.

I was just looking for some info for my youngest on how to look at mold under a microscope. There was a caution there not to look at mold if you are allergic to penicillin. I thought that was interesting. I wonder, too, if an individual would be sensitive to those particular cheeses. Off to google.

My husband is allergic to penicillin. He has reacted to mold in lab settings. He also had a massive reaction when he first started working in a pharmacy. They mix a lot of penicillin into liquid formulations for kids. He realized he had to basically deck himself out in some of the same stuff they wear when mixing chemo meds when it was his turn to mix up penicillin to not be constantly suffering. Over time though he seems to have developed a tolerance for it and can mix it just fine now with no protective gear. Allergies are so interesting. scary but interesting how they can change over time. He's not going to be swallowing any penicillin anytime soon though to see if he's not allergic anymore.

"Some cheeses, of course, are deliberately infected with fungi. Penicillium roqueforti gives blue cheeses such as stilton and roquefort their flavour."

Yes. I've ended up in the ER because of not being told something had blue-veined cheese in it. I'm pretty severely allergic to penicillin.