Menu

Second Ebola Case in Dallas

emzhengjiu

Perhaps we will find out that she was symptomatic while there - coughing, etc.

Halftime, what you call grumpiness, others might call righteous indignation.

This is what I don't understand. If the CDC chartered a plane to transfer her from Dallas to Atlanta, why didn't they just tell her to stay in Cleveland and go pick her up there?

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So now they are looking for anyone who visited the bridal shop that the infected nurse, Amber Vinson, was at on Saturday.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ebola-virus-outbreak/officials-seek-customers-bridal-shop-during-ebola-nurse-visit-n227621

I just don't understand this. Why would these people be at risk?

Susan in TX

Apparently she was feeling so bad during her time in Ohio she opted to cancel several activities with her bridesmaids.  Most people get a fever before any other symptoms.  She didn't, which isn't that surprising given that Duncan didn't either.  If you're symptomatic you're probably contagious.

This is what I don't understand. If the CDC chartered a plane to transfer her from Dallas to Atlanta, why didn't they just tell her to stay in Cleveland and go pick her up there?

Because the people answering calls at the CDC followed the guideline (fever at least 100.4 degrees) instead of using common sense.

So now they are looking for anyone who visited the bridal shop that the infected nurse, Amber Vinson, was at on Saturday.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ebola-virus-outbreak/officials-seek-customers-bridal-shop-during-ebola-nurse-visit-n227621

Susan in TX

Sweat? If she tried on a dress and others pulled it over their own faces after? Ebola can live outside the body for an unknown period of time. I think the risk is very, very low. They are probably just being cautious. 

They closed a college near San Diego after a student vomited in class. It is unclear whether she or her family member was on the same flight as the nurse with ebola. They are quarantining many college students who were in the same room at this time and the CDC is responding. This is ongoing, so there are a lot of confusing reports.

Here is the update.  Student allegedly recanted the ebola story. 

http://fox5sandiego.com/2014/10/16/no-ebola-at-southwestern-college-officials-say/

Sweat? If she tried on a dress and others pulled it over their own faces after? Ebola can live outside the body for an unknown period of time. I think the risk is very, very low. They are probably just being cautious. 

She's already bought her dress last July from that bridal shop. The last week trip was for taking measurements for the bridesmaids.

She's already bought her dress last July from that bridal shop. The last week trip was for taking measurements for the bridesmaids.

Poor girl... Isn't it weird that we know this about her?

I was just thinking of those nurses. They got thrown into a mess. I'm sure they are both terrified (being told they have ebola!), and very specific things about their lives are being shared by the media. How strange for them!!!

Poor girl... Isn't it weird that we know this about her?

I was just thinking of those nurses. They got thrown into a mess. I'm sure they are both terrified (being told they have ebola!), and very specific things about their lives are being shared by the media. How strange for them!!!

I see it this way: she chose to possibly share her deadly germs, which to me is much worse than the media sharing tidbits about her life. Do I have this right - she felt so bad that she cancelled several plans in Ohio, but still chose to get on a plane back to TX?

I see it this way: she chose to possibly share her deadly germs, which to me is much worse than the media sharing tidbits about her life. Do I have this right - she felt so bad that she cancelled several plans in Ohio, but still chose to get on a plane back to TX?

I do think you have it right, at least according to what I've been reading.

However, I'm still thinking about how odd it must be to be thrust in the limelight like this...and to have a very serious, deadly disease on top of it all! This whole thing is just crazy...

Susan in TX

I would imagine that sweat is likely transferred to clothes that one is trying on. You could brush fabric past your mouth or eyes as well--or cough or sneeze. Don't know if or how long ebola can survive on fabric.

I feel sorry for that shop keeper. People will likely avoid the shop for a while. And I would guess that if ebola can survive on fabric that she will have to get rid of her stock or at least the dresses the nurse tried on.

However, I'm still thinking about how odd it must be to be thrust in the limelight like this...and to have a very serious, deadly disease on top of it all! This whole thing is just crazy...

No, you don't have it right. She didn't "choose" to share her deadly germs. When she developed the fever, she called the CDC. *They* said it was okay for her to get on the plane because her fever was not quite high enough to indicate ebola according to their guidelines. She did the responsible thing by calling the CDC. They gave her the go-ahead.

No, you don't have it right. She didn't "choose" to share her deadly germs. When she developed the fever, she called the CDC. *They* said it was okay for her to get on the plane because her fever was not quite high enough to indicate ebola according to their guidelines. She did the responsible thing by calling the CDC. They gave her the go-ahead.

I completely agree. She trusted the experts at the CDC to tell her what was right.

UN. REAL.

So, I guess my question is, what exactly is the process for testing for Ebola, and how long does it take?

http://nypost.com/2014/10/16/alarm-after-vomiting-passenger-dies-on-flight-from-nigeria-to-jfk/

Other articles say he was having chest pain and started vomiting.  If he was fine up until then, he probably had a heart attack.  Ebola patients get severely ill over the course of days, have multi-organ failure, and high fevers.  They don't just drop dead over the course of hours. 

Other articles say he was having chest pain and started vomiting. If he was fine up until then, he probably had a heart attack. Ebola patients get severely ill over the course of days, have multi-organ failure, and high fevers. They don't just drop dead over the course of hours.

Ok, while I totally believe this...I would think that for the public's peace of mind, they could be just a little cautious and do some in depth testing. While I have not been worried the past couple of weeks, and not even overly worried now...I am just floored at how cavalier they are being--Even as the situation gets more and more out of hand.

I completely agree. She trusted the experts at the CDC to tell her what was right.

Yes, but what the CDC told her to do defied common sense. I don't blame her, I wish her well, but if people in this country don't start using common sense, including the so called experts, we are in trouble.

ABC news is reporting that Frontier Airlines has expanded its search for passengers who flew on the five flights after the flight Vinson was on.

I think the risk of contracting ebola in this case is very very low and this is being done as a precaution, but still . . . I would be very upset if I had been on one of those flights and received a phone call . . .

ETA - so what would people have to do? Take their temp for 21 days and stay home? What happens if you can't take time off work with pay? That would probably be enough for most to just go about their business as usual and hope for the best.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/frontier-airlines-expands-search-passengers-ebola-infected-nurses/story?id=26248890

Yes, but what the CDC told her to do defied common sense. I don't blame her, I wish her well, but if people in this country don't start using common sense, including the so called experts, we are in trouble.

I so agree! Dh and I were talking about this last night and said if either of us were in close contact with someone who had Ebola that we would stay away from one another, our dds, and all our friends and family for that 21 day period. I can't wrap my mind around the idea that just because the CDC told her it was okay that she went along with it. This is why I point out to my dds all the time that just because someone is in a position of authority doesn't mean they are always right and it is okay to question and decide differently.

ETA: I don't think she should be villified or punished but I do find it interesting and problematic. I'm not worried about Ebola either but her deciding it was okay to get on that plane just boggles my mind.

Reading through the lines, it appears she called CDC and got some receptionist type person (or maybe even someone like ME whose main job is NOT to answer calls but who is taking over for someone out at the time) who didn't track "Ebola may mean different" but read off a standard card. May even have standard responses to concerned public calling. AND may not have been asked/didn't volunteer she was feeling unwell in other ways.

Meanwhile, at a higher level/different department, the CDC knows these people should not travel on transportation, etc. But the CDC is a large organization with many people involved.

Well then...I am pretty sure that that process was not used on the guy who died on the plane. Why on earth would they just dismiss the possibility without running tests...even if it were for nothing than peace of mind for those passengers? Who on earth is running this circus? I am starting to wonder if they want a full fledge breakout here. (not really...but come on CDC/Govt...get your crap together.).

Here is another article of interest . . .

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/us-monitors-health-care-worker-aboard-cruise-ship-26262568

And this . . .

http://belizean.com/belize-confirms-patient-with-ebola-symptoms-on-cruise-ship-off-its-coast-1814/

One story says the person shows no symptoms while the other story states there was an effort to have the couple removed because one was showing ebola-like symptoms.

Not sure what to think about all this . . .

ETA - I am wondering, if this really is a HCW who came in contact with Duncan if the US tracked the couple down to bring them back for mandatory quarantine.

I'm confused . . . were the people who came in contact with Duncan supposed to only take their temp? Were they not told to stay home for 21 days?

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/us-monitors-health-care-worker-aboard-cruise-ship-26262568

And this . . .

http://belizean.com/belize-confirms-patient-with-ebola-symptoms-on-cruise-ship-off-its-coast-1814/

One story says the person shows no symptoms while the other story states there was an effort to have the couple removed because one was showing ebola-like symptoms.

ETA - I am wondering, if this really is a HCW who came in contact with Duncan if the US tracked the couple down to bring them back for mandatory quarantine.

I'm confused . . . were the people who came in contact with Duncan supposed to only take their temp? Were they not told to stay home for 21 days?

This is seriously asinine. I think my 14 year old could have made better decisions with all of this, than the so called experts.

And this . . .

Wow...if these articles are accurate then i am completely speechless. You would think that anyone involved whatsoever with Mr. Duncan would be quarantined at this point! And certainly not taking a cruise!!!

How is it that I, a person with no medical training and only little access via the Internet to what's been going on in Dallas, seem to get the seriousness of all of this, while trained HCWs who were directly involved in Mr. Duncan's care seem to be clueless? All I can think is that at a local level the seriousness of the situation must have been downplayed and these people must not be reading any news.

I get what you are saying.

People are so selfish. I am the type who gets annoyed when people show up ill with average things at family gatherings...but these Ebola-sharing types take the cake. It reminds me of the Radio Lab story about Typhoid Mary, (among other people.) She was very hostile and kept sneaking to cook as a profession. It's fascinating. I think the episode is called "Patient Zero."

ETA - so what would people have to do? Take their temp for 21 days and stay home? What happens if you can't take time off work with pay? That would probably be enough for most to just go about their business as usual and hope for the best.

I remember reading somewhere that if you are put into 21 day isolation it is covered under the Disability Act.  I'm sorry I don't have anything to link to and I'm headed out the door.  But I believe that is the case.

Wow...if these articles are accurate then i am completely speechless. You would think that anyone involved whatsoever with Mr. Duncan would be quarantined at this point! And certainly not taking a cruise!!!

How is it that I, a person with no medical training and only little access via the Internet to what's been going on in Dallas, seem to get the seriousness of all of this, while trained HCWs who were directly involved in Mr. Duncan's care seem to be clueless? All I can think is that at a local level the seriousness of the situation must have been downplayed and these people must not be reading any news.

Because in the end most people don't think outside of Population Me.

I'm  a fairly selfish person.  God changed a lot of that.   The kids changed me significantly.

I had a beautiful, unselfish, VERY smart cousin post a post a blog post yesterday about a nurse who would help (gloveless) no matter what:

http://deansarablog.wordpress.com/2014/10/13/the-nurse-who-broke-protocol/

This is the opposite of selfish obviously.

But what occurs to me is that do the UNselfish ones realize what it could mean ten patients later?  That they will unwittingly kill more people in the urge to help? 

All the way around, people are simply human.  Call it human nature, sin nature, human error, whatever,  or in whatever combination, people are going to make mistakes. 

And when there are 10,000 new cases a week (like they are admitting and expecting in Africa) it WILL be here.  And it will spread to some degree.

I'm praying for our healthcare workers.

They've essentially just become our best defense - soldiers on the front lines. 

My computer is acting up, but I've read this morning that another Duncan HCW went on a cruise to Belize.  Also, a man on a flight from Nigeria to JFK started vomiting and then died mid flight.  They gave him a cursory exam, pronounced it not ebola and everyone is supposed to go on with life apparently. 

I think we've passed the point of no return.

Interesting article on the Belize situation. I just love how Americans get treated in other countries and then we're like, "Hey, send all your Ebola patients over here to infect us all!" I don't blame the Belizian government, in fact I think they're brilliant in looking out for the best interests of their citizens, but I'm waiting for the US to take a lesson or two from them. I won't hold my breath though. :-/ We're just too busy being "nice" to everybody else.

This is seriously asinine. I think my 14 year old could have made better decisions with all of this, than the so called experts.

I think the officials that made these decisions at the CDC and Presbyterian need some hands-on experience in proper Ebola protocols.  West Africa needs more doctors.  Let's send them all there to volunteer in Ebola wards for a year, then they can report back.

Interesting article on the Belize situation. I just love how Americans get treated in other countries and then we're like, "Hey, send all your Ebola patients over here to infect us all!" I don't blame the Belizian government, in fact I think they're brilliant in looking out for the best interests of their citizens, but I'm waiting for the US to take a lesson or two from them. I won't hold my breath though. :-/ We're just too busy being "nice" to everybody else.

I hear what you are saying.

I am so grateful that the USA is willing to help others in the world. My personal faith calls me to help others and I am proud my nation reaches out to others. But I believe we have to be smart. In my opinion we were not ready for something this serious and I am appalled at what appears to be blunder after blunder . . .

My parents came here from Scotland in 1961. They told me I would not believe what they went through to enter this country . . . paperwork galore, personal interviews, a physical, vaccinations. We live in a global society. I understand that. But I am amazed at how much of an impact one ill person (Mr. Duncan) has had on so many others in such a short period of time. Much of this was due to what appears to be a lack of preparedness.

I live near Chicago O'Hare airport where they just started taking temps of passengers coming from the three African countries struggling with the outbreak and I must confess I am not reassured. It has not really been explained what will happen if someone with a fever disembarks. What will happen to the other passengers and crew? What about the plane? The ripple effect is huge and has a great cost both personally to those involved and financially as well.

The CDC has said she *only* reported a fever and said she had no other symptoms, but reports are her family says she was feeling unwell and had other symptoms.  Even just a 99.5 fever alone in someone who is being watched for Ebola who has had such definite close contact with an Ebola victim should have triggered the CDC to say not to travel in my opinion, but apparently without revealing she had other symptoms according to the CDC "protocol" she was fine.  There is a bit of a he said-she said going on there and who knows exactly what she told the CDC person and who knows whether the person she talked to understood that she was one of Duncan's nurses (I wouldn't be surprised if the CDC is getting a LOT of Ebola-scare calls right now).  Someone, or multiple people, really dropped the ball.  The CDC person was totally wrong to tell her to fly home, but, if it's true that she didn't reveal she had other symptoms, she shares responsibility.  It just boggles my mind that two medically educated people - one a nurse and one at the CDC - could both think it's okay to fly with a fever after known Ebola exposure.  (ETA: I do wonder if the person at the CDC was not a medical person and just was fielding questions from the public and so had a protocol list to go down and fever of 99.5 - in a person from the general public - wouldn't trigger a possible Ebola warning.  It seems to me, though, that these healthcare workers exposed should have had a special phone number straight to experts.  However, given how the CDC has handled things so far I guess that might be too much to ask.)

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/frontier-airlines-expands-search-passengers-ebola-infected-nurses/story?id=26248890

The risk is so extremely low for those people (and even for the people on the actual flight with her) that chances are they are just having people take their temp twice a day for 21 days.

Other articles say he was having chest pain and started vomiting.  If he was fine up until then, he probably had a heart attack.  Ebola patients get severely ill over the course of days, have multi-organ failure, and high fevers.  They don't just drop dead over the course of hours. 

If this is accurate, then it does sound like a heart attack.  However, this closing line to the article:

"The CDC declined to comment on the passenger."

is absolutely ridiculous.  The CDC doesn't get to decline comment on this stuff, if they want people to trust them.  They need to explain what went into their determination that this man did not have ebola.  

If this is accurate, then it does sound like a heart attack.  However, this closing line to the article:

"The CDC declined to comment on the passenger."

is absolutely ridiculous.  The CDC doesn't get to decline comment on this stuff, if they want people to trust them.  They need to explain what went into their determination that this man did not have ebola.  

In news articles "decline to comment" could mean they didn't pick up the phone or the person who answered had no information about the case or any number of things that have no nefarious reasons.  It doesn't necessarily mean someone who knew something about it is purposefully refusing to comment.

In news articles "decline to comment" could mean they didn't pick up the phone or the person who answered had no information about the case or any number of things that have no nefarious reasons.  It doesn't necessarily mean someone who knew something about it is purposefully refusing to comment.

OK, I'll accept that it may be the journalist's word choice, but I've usually seen that reported as "did not return requests for comment."  And I'm not assuming it's nefarious, just incompetent.  The CDC is handling their PR and public image very poorly.

Given the seriousness of the situation, including the alarm the public is feeling, the information coming from the CDC should be clear and accurate. There should be no "declining" to comment about any subject related to Ebola, if for no other reason than to cut off conspiracy theories before they develop.

Given the seriousness of the situation, including the alarm the public is feeling, the information coming from the CDC should be clear and accurate. There should be no "declining" to comment about any subject related to Ebola, if for no other reason than to cut off conspiracy theories before they develop.

Since people don't trust what the CDC IS saying, them commenting wouldn't necessarily cut off anything.  Just give people more fodder for speculation and to accuse them of being wrong, etc.

Since people don't trust what the CDC IS saying, them commenting wouldn't necessarily cut off anything.  Just give people more fodder for speculation and to accuse them of being wrong, etc.

And part of the reason people don't trust the CDC is because their information is confusing, contradictory, and out of date. Give better information and much of the distrust would evaporate.

It's interesting the reports that are coming out about how individual people are reacting to this. 

On the "business as usual" side:

We have the nurse that decided to fly to Cleveland, knowing full well that she had been exposed, seriously exposed, and she felt cruddy long before the Monday flight. (News reports stated that the Monday airplane had been used for numerous flight before the CDC notified Frontier and they immediately took it out of service. I sure hope ebola dies as quickly as they have been saying.)

Re. the lab worker, it is conceivable that she did not know at the time that she had handled his specimens from the first hospital visit, after all, what would his name mean to her at that time?  Nothing.  During his second visit, if the hospital floor was hand-delivering specimens in a sealed plastic bag as they have stated, she would have been aware that something was afoot.  Yet she did not self-quarantine and went on a cruise, for goodness' sake.  I truly believe that had she called the cruise line and said, "I've handled an ebola patient's lab work, would you refund my ticket." they would have done so.  Ya think????

On the cautious end of the spectrum, we have the Ohio family who was on the flight with Amber Vinson who got home and upon getting the call, self-quarantined and notified the school where one of the family is employed (? not sure I have the school connection quite right.)  That's what one calls "an abundance of caution." 

Last night on local news, they reported that HCW at Presby have been sleeping in their cars for days, rather than going home and possibly taking the virus to their families.  Now the hospital is making rooms available for them to stay, and they can get meals at the hospital.  Clay Jenkins and Dr. Chung have not gone home either, although that may be due to their workload.

It's interesting the reports that are coming out about how individual people are reacting to this.

On the "business as usual" side:

We have the nurse that decided to fly to Cleveland, knowing full well that she had been exposed, seriously exposed, and she felt cruddy long before the Monday flight. (News reports stated that the Monday airplane had been used for numerous flight before the CDC notified Frontier and they immediately took it out of service. I sure hope ebola dies as quickly as they have been saying.)

Re. the lab worker, it is conceivable that she did not know at the time that she had handled his specimens from the first hospital visit, after all, what would his name mean to her at that time? Nothing. During his second visit, if the hospital floor was hand-delivering specimens in a sealed plastic bag as they have stated, she would have been aware that something was afoot. Yet she did not self-quarantine and went on a cruise, for goodness' sake. I truly believe that had she called the cruise line and said, "I've handled an ebola patient's lab work, would you refund my ticket." they would have done so. Ya think????

On the cautious end of the spectrum, we have the Ohio family who was on the flight with Amber Vinson who got home and upon getting the call, self-quarantined and notified the school where one of the family is employed (? not sure I have the school connection quite right.) That's what one calls "an abundance of caution."

Last night on local news, they reported that HCW at Presby have been sleeping in their cars for days, rather than going home and possibly taking the virus to their families. Now the hospital is making rooms available for them to stay, and they can get meals at the hospital. Clay Jenkins and Dr. Chung have not gone home either, although that may be due to their workload.

YES!!! This exactly!!!

Well.  I dont think this is true.  SOME people simply do not trust the govt and they hate Obama and so that bias means that the CDC can not win.

You will always find *some* people to distrust anything.

The CDC could still be doing a better job.

Well.  I dont think this is true.  SOME people simply do not trust the govt and they hate Obama and so that bias means that the CDC can not win.

She used the word "much."  Much of the distrust and fear would be allayed.  There will always be extremists out there.  I don't think the other poster is referring to them.  What I am concerned with is with the people who through logic and reasonable concern are concluding that the CDC is making all kinds of serious missteps and has not been proactive, rather they are--for whatever reason--way behind the curve on something extremely dangerous.

I read somewhere that MSF who are knowledgeable and experienced and very cautious have already lost 9 out of 16 doctors in Sierra Leone.  As experienced and highly motivated as they were, I'm not going to assume any neglect or breach of protocol on their part.   Why then, would the CDC not have issued UNIVERSAL, ultimate protection guidelines for HCWs?  The lack of wisdom and common sense of "in case wear this, in another case wear that," or "these folks can travel, those can't."  just astounds me.  Even the 21 day guideline, when epidemiologists who have studied the outbreaks are reporting that in 15% of cases there is late onset of the disease.  Why, oh why, is the CDC not acting more cautiously?

In the absence of a Surgeon General, and as the head health guru in communicable disease, it is the CDC director's job to lead, and to overrule voices who are more timid or who are afraid of rocking boats, in the interest of protecting the public.  I'm am just not seeing the proper leadership. 

As a nurse, if she has two brain cells to rub together, she should have known better.

I agree to a point. Some people will never trust what is said. There's not much you can do to convince them otherwise.

But I think the majority of us WANT to have confidence in our government's ability to handle this situation. Unfortunately, the questionable decisions/actions to date by a variety of entities--the hospital, individual patients (like the second nurse), government agencies, and the CDC--have left people feeling that nobody has a handle on it.

When people see what looks like blatantly foolish decisions being made and people being unnecessarily put at risk, you can't blame some of the public for not trusting. The CDC and local governments need to work extra hard at this point, I believe, to restore that trust. That starts with being upfront and available for comment when things happen such as that man dying on a plane.

They need to be more proactive in keeping at-risk people from traveling and potentially spreading illness. (How many more families are now dealing with unnecessary fear, anxiety, and hardship because that nurse wasn't told to stay in Dallas from the start.) I read an article yesterday by a psychologist (I'll try to remember where) who said people will start to panic when they feel they can't trust those in charge to handle the situation. He also suggested that we're not all that far from that tipping point.

I think people get that this outbreak caught everyone by surprise although it shouldn't have. It's the repeated blunders that are so astounding and which damage credibility so much.

She used the word "much." Much of the distrust and fear would be allayed. There will always be extremists out there. I don't think the other poster is referring to them. What I am concerned with is with the people who through logic and reasonable concern are concluding that the CDC is making all kinds of serious missteps and has not been proactive, rather they are--for whatever reason--way behind the curve on something extremely dangerous.

I read somewhere that MSF who are knowledgeable and experienced and very cautious have already lost 9 out of 16 doctors in Sierra Leone. As experienced and highly motivated as they were, I'm not going to assume any neglect or breach of protocol on their part. Why then, would the CDC not have issued UNIVERSAL, ultimate protection guidelines for HCWs? The lack of wisdom and common sense of "in case wear this, in another case wear that," or "these folks can travel, those can't." just astounds me. Even the 21 day guideline, when epidemiologists who have studied the outbreaks are reporting that in 15% of cases there is late onset of the disease. Why, oh why, is the CDC not acting more cautiously?

In the absence of a Surgeon General, and as the head health guru in communicable disease, it is the CDC director's job to lead, and to overrule voices who are more timid or who are afraid of rocking boats, in the interest of protecting the public. I'm am just not seeing the proper leadership.

I imagine that the government is operating - at least in part - with the notion that strict quarantine will have a negative effect on the economy, what with people staying home and not going about spending money, airline loads decreasing, etcetera. Quite shortsighted, IMO. Perhaps they are hoping to avoid panic, or to not have to fess up to the lack of preparedness, who knows. Despite the reasoning, they have failed not only in communication (for which I had been willing to cut them some slack), but also in policy making/execution (for which I am less apt to forgive - the CDC exists to study, develop, and pronounce infectious disease control measures, does it not?).

Too bad that current events poll on another thread didn't mention anything about a surgeon general. I was unaware that we lacked one.