Menu

Cheese Content: if you enjoy eating cheese, please chime in! Should I take a cheesemaking class?

unsinkable

Cheesemaking Class  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Should I take a cheesemaking class?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Fiddle-i-fee

I've made a fair share of cheese before. A class would've made it much easier. Once you get used to the steps, it's not too hard, but a cheese making class would probably help you figure out your different cultures and styles a lot quicker and easier.

It's lots of fun to make cheese and there are so many kinds to try.  There are plenty of basic cheeses that don't require much equipment or any skill beyond following instructions carefully.  I'd love to make some aged hard cheeses, but it's not really practical for me to get everything I need for those, but there are still lots of types I can make.  I always vote yes for cheesemaking. :)

I would take the class. But since we live right on the border of Wisconsin, home to reasonably priced and really good cheese, I probably wouldn't make my own unless it was for a gift or some special occasion.   I can buy locally made award winning cheese and I doubt I could make any that taste this yummy.   I bet the class would be fun!!

I chose yes, take the class. My ds and his dw learned how to make cheese at a friend's goat farm. They don't do it all the time or anything, but they learned and now they know. Cheese and I don't get along well anymore. My one exception is Havarti. If you learn the secret to making that one, let me know.

I would take the class just so I know how it is done and somebody else can worry about having everything we need, will it work, will we finish in time, etc, etc I am unlikely to do it on my own (as proved by the diy cheesemaking kit that has been sitting in my pantry for a year).

I keep passing this thread title and have come to the conclusion that cheese making seems like a detailed process. I would personally prefer to stick with just the eating of the cheese. Sometimes after I've spent much time handling food products, I lose my appetite for them.

On the other hand, if you are the type of person who might like to be a food artisan, go for it.