Mac & Cheese  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Mac & Cheese side or main dish

• Main dish
    • Side dish
    • Mac & Cheese isn't healthy enough for my family
    • I only serve my children organic, homemade mac & cheese
    • Other

While I understand that others have different palates and differing dietary restrictions I must say that I rather have a tablespoon of delicious Mac and cheese made WITHOUT bulked out veggies than 2 cups of Mac and cheese WITH bulked out veggies.

:ack2:

I agree, except this is a really delicious recipe. But, it is only *sort of* mac and cheese with veggies.

http://www.marthastewart.com/339198/baked-shells-with-winter-squash

? I don't understand why you are directing this at me...

Sorry. This wasn't meant to be personal. Your post asked why people viewed it as "So unhealthy"... I gave my answer which had nothing to do with the fat content or other possible reasons... As I said, if your kids love it great, give them some broccoli and you are all set... cheap well balanced meal.

I wasn't trying to pick on anyone here. I just wanted to introduce the possibility that mac and cheese or pizza might be problematic for other reasons....

Main dish, and we would have broccoli or salad as the side.

Once my husband went vegan, it was relegated to a lunch dish only.

Once I found out that wreaks havoc with my 2yo's digestive system, we haven't had it at all. :-(

At our house, it's a celebration of outgrown food allergies. Hello forbidden wheat and cheeses! We don't eat it very often because I'm trying to lose weight, but my children are both falling off the growth chart at the low end of the weight scale so when they ask for Mac and cheese at lunch, I don't say no. I just serve a fruit or veggie with it. To me, could go either way.

I make it myself rather than using Kraft, so I do get the benefit of real cheese. I think there are a fair number of other things (like peas) that can go well in there too that are healthy.

Anyway the idea was to mash up the sweet potato so it becomes a cheese sauce substitute, and the orangey yellow color blends right in. Especially if you use fairly strong flavored cheese, you can reduce the amount and still have a cheese taste. I got the idea from Martha Stewart (magazine), but I searched and am only finding a video that isn't loading properly so I can't check if it's it.

http://www.marthastewart.com/998315/macaroni-and-cheese-twist-part-one ??

Some people can make a fairly decent mac-n-cheese substitute.  I say "some people" because I am a lousy cook, but I have had it made by other folks and it was delicious.  Here is a recipe like the one I had but the cook used regular skim milk instead of cocanut milk.

http://www.grassfedgirl.com/primal-gaps-low-carb-cauliflower-mac-and-cheese/

You can also bulk out your regular mac-n-cheese by mixing lots of steamed cauliflower into just a little pasta for the base.

Oh my goodness, I totally have to try these recipes!  Thank you!

I voted other since I couldn't pick more than one option - usually it's a "lunch" dish at our house - and then often made sorta-homemade with velveta or sometimes a boxed mix. Sometimes I made a totally from scratch version as a main dish, and once in a while it might be a dinner side (probably least often this way).

I'd normally vote a side dish but it depends on the age of the child and how tired I am. For a preschooler or younger or if I'm really tired, it could be a main dish. If it's made with enough extra ingredients that it's essentially a casserole, it could be a main dish as well.

It could be either. I usually do it for lunch and I just make whole grain noodles and grate cheese in it and sometimes have a hidden veggie and some nitrite free turkey dogs. I only make that for lunch. I do buy box stuff every once in a while as long as it doesn't have food dye. ;) If it is for dinner it can be a main dish or a side.

I'm that person on the poll... For us mac and cheese is evil incarnate. DS is Gluten Dairy Intolerant. It took us years to figure this out. However, DS was never willing to eat noodles. If we had accepted this it would have saved so much stress...

I think Mac and cheese is empty calories but if your kids like it thats great... give them a salad or other veggies as a side and you are all set. Just don't view it as a default meal for any kids you know....

How is it empty calories (real mac & cheese)? It has protein in the dairy, plenty of fat, etc. The mac and cheese recipe I posted above even has squash in it (and not a lot of cheese).

While I understand that others have different palates and differing dietary restrictions I must say that I rather have a tablespoon of delicious Mac and cheese made WITHOUT bulked out veggies than 2 cups of Mac and cheese WITH bulked out veggies.

:ack2:

:lol:

Sorry, my grandma raves about how great sauerkraut is as a coconut substitute (hello, coconut is cheaper) and how yummy tomato soup cake is, and has lots of other "surprises" like finding meat chunks in the "yes, I'm sure it's vegetarian" soup from the freezer. She should have written that Deceptively Delicious book, except in her case the stuff isn't actually delicious.

So, loads of veges in mac and cheese doesn't bother me because there's nothing hiding. But yr post is funny.

Anyone else remember those prune brownies from the 90s? Yuck. And I like prunes.

I lived on maccaroni cheese as a kid. My mum always made it from scratch. I do too. In fact, I didn't know it came in a packet until I read American forums (we have it in Australia, I just don't get out much). DS HATES it. Loves pasta, hates cheese. Shame, cos he could do with fattening up.

Ew, no, lol. I do love chocolate zucchini cupcakes with peanut butter frosting though.

http://www.recipe.com/choco-zucchini-cupcakes/

Let's take them back in a time machine to the 1970s, shall we? Change that chocolate to carob, swap out the white flour, and repace the frosting with .... wait, what? I'm stuck. Tofu whipped with walnuts? Or maybe take off the frosting???

Always homemade, sometimes a side and sometimes a main dish.  Typically, if I make it for the kids for lunch or dinner it's a main dish.  If I make it as part of a holiday meal, it's a side dish....for the kids...And, we claim it is for the kids, but it is really good and we love it too. 

Too bad I'm lactose intolerant now and really can't have it.  It makes me SO sad.  I really love baked mac and cheese.  :(

That's because you don't follow my recipe, which starts with a white sauce, adds in equal portions extra sharp cheddar (for the taste) and monterey jack (for the gooeyness), includes a little bit of thyme, paprika, and pepper, and finishes up with some cubes of cream cheese (for the richness). It is absolutely the most delicious thing ever, and I tell you, cream cheese makes even boxed mac and cheese taste divine.

Pour it over a combination of cooked macaroni and cauliflower, add some bread crumbs, and bake until done. Or don't bake it.

It sounds tasty. :-) But most people don't use that recipe, so most of us are not basing our opinions on it. :-)

Both. Either. We do both boxed and homemade as either a main dish or a side.

I'm vegetarian. Our meals are often equal parts of different items, with no real main or side. If I were serving Mac n cheese, I would likely also serve baked beans and a cooked veg or a green salad. I couldn't say which is the main dish.

I made GF mac and cheese for an entrée for my kids' dinner this evening.  This was likely due to the subconscious sway of this thread....or the monster migraine I had earlier.

One son had a banana and some cantaloupe with it.  The other two kids had fresh avocado and half a baked sweet potato with theirs.  No guilt here.

There's a GF pasta in Costco that is great. It's in a purple and black bag and I can't remember the name of it, but we really like it. Just don't use it in a cold pasta salad-then it's yuck. 

My kids are also underweight. I always make mine from scratch, and I think grassfed butter, and the fats in cheese are extremely healthy for you. 

Both

I make boxed once a week for lunch and grandma makes her own homemade mac and cheese as a main dish once or twice a year. I guess in both of those cases it is a main dish in that it is the entree. But, I have seen it served as a side dish on buffets etc. 

When I think of it as a side dish, it is in more of a southern context. I had a friend from southern Georgia and he explained that where he grew up, mac and cheese was considered a vegetable, lol.

Mac and cheese *is* a vegetable.  :)  My favorite veggie plate would be mac and cheese, okra, peas, eggplant, and sliced tomatoes.  Yum.

Wait, what?  

I love sauerkraut, and I'm sure I'd love homemade lacto fermented sauerkraut even more, and I love coconut.

But one subbing for the other?  No.

Sorry, I'm out of likes.

Click on this link and read their description of the recipe. :lol:

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/sauerkraut-chocolate-cake

Then read this

http://www.cookiemadness.net/2012/07/chocolate-sauerkraut-cake-with-sour-cream-frosting/

Sorry, I'm out of likes.

Click on this link and read their description of the recipe. :lol:

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/sauerkraut-chocolate-cake

Then read this

http://www.cookiemadness.net/2012/07/chocolate-sauerkraut-cake-with-sour-cream-frosting/

Uh, I still don't think it's my thing, but that's not quite as weird as I thought.

I consider it a side dish ... unless it is lunch and served with soup ... then it is a co-star with equal billing.  Just my .02.

ETA:  I don't serve it.  Dh hates it and my oldest was allergic to milk for a very long time so it never became a staple in my house.  They used to get it at Grandma's house.  Dd likes to order it when we are traveling.