Menu

Who has better BBQ KC or St. Louis

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who has Better BBQ

• Kansas City
    • St. Louis
    • I am a Vegan and find talk of BBQ to be highly pot stirring and am running to tell the mods.

Honestly, St. Louis is not a foodie town. It just isn't. There are great restaurants and BBQ joints and pizza places and hole-in-the-wall eateries, but nothing geographically unique, except maybe the toasted ravs and the Imo's style pizza.

On the flip side, it's a great place to live if you have food intolerances, allergies, or a dining out budget of $0. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything hugely important.

• Like 1

Honestly, St. Louis is not a foodie town. It just isn't. There are great restaurants and BBQ joints and pizza places and hole-in-the-wall eateries, but nothing geographically unique, except maybe the toasted ravs and the Imo's style pizza.

On the flip side, it's a great place to live if you have food intolerances, allergies, or a dining out budget of $0. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything hugely important.

FWIW KC has three Imo's pizza places.

• Like 1

I've never eaten BBQ in KC or StL, but I had some on Beale Street last spring and it was very good. I've also enjoyed BBQ at Corkey's in Brentwood, and Straud's and Whitt's in Franklin. Stroud's is a bit on the vinegary side, though. I like to make pulled pork by cooking a Boston pork shoulder all day in the crockpot and then add Sonny's honey BBQ sauce. As you can see I have absolutely nothing to add to this thread but I am enjoying my own personal stroll down BBQ Memory Lane.

I've never eaten BBQ in KC or StL, but I had some on Beale Street last spring and it was very good. I've also enjoyed BBQ at Corkey's in Brentwood, and Straud's and Whitt's in Franklin. Stroud's is a bit on the vinegary side, though. I like to make pulled pork by cooking a Boston pork shoulder all day in the crockpot and then add Sonny's honey BBQ sauce. As you can see I have absolutely nothing to add to this thread but I am enjoying my own personal stroll down BBQ Memory Lane.

I don't really care for vinegary sauce.

Love you, too!

The poor people here scratching their heads wondering what we are on about.

I forgot that me blocking people is not effective, because I can't resist just reading their posts anyway.  

I'm taking my delicious pork steaks and pizza and going home.  To Georgia.  Where the BBQ really is quite good. 

What does "St Louis style" pizza mean?

The crust doesn't rise, and it's thin and crispy like a cracker.  

The sauce is sort of sweet.

The cheese is called Provel, which isn't one cheese but a blend of a few that was specifically created for St. Louis style pizza.  

It's a love it or hate it thing.  I've found most people who didn't grow up with it pretty much hate it, although my ex-husband really liked it and he's a New Yorker!  He said he just had to think of it as something else in his mind and not pizza.

My current husband likes it, too.  He's from Philly, and doesn't care if he calls it pizza.  Then again, I've never seen him take a single bite of anything that he didn't like, so he's not a good judge.

We lived in KC for 9 years, I miss the food. :crying:

I always miss the food I leave behind whenever we move from a place.

Eta: I will agree that the best hush puppies come from the Carolinas. Is it Cameron, NC that has the big antique markets? The church that does the BBQ fundraiser there each time has the BEST hush puppies I have ever eaten (yes, I have been to all of the Gulf Coast states).

• Like 2

All of the local (non-chain) pizza places here claim to have "North End Boston style pizza." I had never even heard of that before moving to Hawaii. Seems really weird.

That's weird. Boston doesn't have pizza that I know of. Chicago has a pizza, New York has a pizza, New Haven has the best pizza. I've never heard of a Boston pizza... Do they call the Hawaiian pizza something else in Hawaii? Like, just pizza? ;)

That's weird. Boston doesn't have pizza that I know of. Chicago has a pizza, New York has a pizza, New Haven has the best pizza. I've never heard of a Boston pizza... Do they call the Hawaiian pizza something else in Hawaii? Like, just pizza? ;)

When I google Boston style pizza, the thing that comes up is restaurants here in Hawaii. Isn't that crazy? Maybe someone else try it, maybe it is just my location?

They still have a Hawaiian pizza, lol.

When I google Boston style pizza, the thing that comes up is restaurants here in Hawaii. Isn't that crazy? Maybe someone else try it, maybe it is just my location?

They still have a Hawaiian pizza, lol.

I get a single "Boston Greek style" pizza in Pennsylvania. But at least that rang a bell from when I lived in Massachusetts. There was a "Greek style" pizza thing going in some places. I never got what it was supposed to mean though. Thicker crust, I think. Not Chicago thick or anything, just not super thin...

Forget the BBQ. Now I want some pizza.

• Like 1

I get a single "Boston Greek style" pizza in Pennsylvania. But at least that rang a bell from when I lived in Massachusetts. There was a "Greek style" pizza thing going in some places. I never got what it was supposed to mean though. Thicker crust, I think. Not Chicago thick or anything, just not super thin...

Forget the BBQ. Now I want some pizza.

The "Boston style" pizza here is sort of like NY pizza, but with a larger variety in toppings. Maybe the crust is a *little* thicker than NY, but not much.

Photo:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6073/6094554338_828e2091ed.jpg

I want pizza too! LOL and hush puppies. And dry rub ribs from Memphis. And some brisket from Oklahoma Joe's.

• Like 2

I always miss the food I leave behind whenever we move from a place.

Eta: I will agree that the best hush puppies come from the Carolinas. Is it Cameron, NC that has the big antique markets? The church that does the BBQ fundraiser there each time has the BEST hush puppies I have ever eaten (yes, I have been to all of the Gulf Coast states).

I am not a big hush puppy fan. My husband loves them! He also loved the German version of hush puppies, Kroketten. (I am pretty sure I misspelled that.).

We miss German and Italian food especially. Actually, with my current food allergies, I miss a lot of food...

Excuse me, but North Carolina has the best BBQ.  It's the only state where they know to serve it with hush puppies.

I will say I like a pit beef sandwich though, Baltimore style.  Tennessee BBQ is, of course, also excellent.  I have never eaten BBQ in Texas, only had various outside of Texas "Texas BBQ's" so I feel like I have to withhold judgment there.

Oh, Chinese BBQ is also really good, like southern Chinese style on a stick.  Now I'm being really outside the box though...

But KC or St. Louis? I have no idea what we're even discussing here.

Me either. I thought everyone knew the best bbq came from the South.

I have eaten bbq in every Deep South state and several others besides. My studied opinion is that the best bbq can be found anywhere the meat is cooked dry, low and slow. The best sauce of course is Carolina gold. :drool5:

I don't really care for vinegary sauce.

Then you should never eat bbq in Alabama. The sauce is very vinegary. It is an acquired taste, but I did learn to love it.

I'm late to the game, but this is no contest. KC. 

There is NOTHING better than brisket at Oklahoma Joe's! Man, now I want it for dinner. And a Pizza Shoppe salad for lunch. 

KC people - if you haven't tried the burnt ends at Jon Russell's (135th & Quivira, OP), I highly recommend it. I'm not a huge burnt ends fan, but these were delicious. Not fatty, plenty of meat. Good selection of sauces.

Non-KC people, skip the original location of OK Joe's in the gas station and go to either of the other two locations. Don't worry if the line is out the door, they move pretty quickly.

• Like 1

KC is known for Burnt Ends.

Burnt Ends are the greatest thing ever. I can't even get them here in stupid SC. What is wrong with you SC!!!

And Oklahoma Joes is in *Kansas* on the *Kansas* side of the state line.

Ditto the Burnt Ends love.  I've said my piece now I can get off the internet for the day.

:ph34r:

Yeah ... right.  

I'm late to the game, but this is no contest. KC. 

There is NOTHING better than brisket at Oklahoma Joe's! Man, now I want it for dinner. And a Pizza Shoppe salad for lunch. 

KC people - if you haven't tried the burnt ends at Jon Russell's (135th & Quivira, OP), I highly recommend it. I'm not a huge burnt ends fan, but these were delicious. Not fatty, plenty of meat. Good selection of sauces.

Non-KC people, skip the original location of OK Joe's in the gas station and go to either of the other two locations. Don't worry if the line is out the door, they move pretty quickly.

Thank for the suggestion.  We'll head over there sometime this week!

This KC gal would like to have a moment of silence for all my dear friends who have OBVIOUSLY DEFECTIVE TASTE BUDS.  

You poor poor women.  

:crying:

HA! This TX gal was just thinking the same thing about you poor, poor women who think good BBQ exists outside the South. I read the thread title and thought "Wha-? This question does not compute."

:leaving:

• Like 2

HA! This TX gal was just thinking the same thing about you poor, poor women who think good BBQ exists outside the South. I read the thread title and thought "Wha-? This question does not compute."

*ahem*

AGGIEamy.

I've tried the other stuff ... nothing like home cooking.

I don't think I've ever been this controversial.  I'm kinda liking it.  Now I'm going to go put some pop tarts in the crockpot.  

• Like 5

Texas raised. The Carolinas and KC are an okay substitute.

I had friends take me to Texas style BBQ in New York City. No, just no.

Korean BBQ is delicious as well.

• Like 2

*ahem*

AGGIEamy.

I've tried the other stuff ... nothing like home cooking.

I don't think I've ever been this controversial.  I'm kinda liking it.  Now I'm going to go put some pop tarts in the crockpot.  

:lol:  Yes, dear, I caught the Aggie part. The burnt orange portion of me automatically skips over this level of pot stirring.  

And everyone knows that one simply doesn't put pop tarts in the crockpot. <sheesh> That is reserved for cream of crap soup and meat.

I shall now commence running and tattling walking with firm committment and informing the mods that I'm offended by your choice of university.

• Like 2

:lol:  Yes, dear, I caught the Aggie part. The burnt orange portion of me automatically skips over this level of pot stirring.  

And everyone knows that one simply doesn't put pop tarts in the crockpot. <sheesh> That is reserved for cream of crap soup and meat.

I shall now commence running and tattling walking with firm committment and informing the mods that I'm offended by your choice of university.

Instead of blocking you I shall just stick my fingers in my ears and sing *la la la - I can't hear you* whenever you post from here on out.  That is the maturity level we Aggies are taught!  

• Like 1