Menu

Ways to treat anxiety and depression without meds?

Joker

This is for my teen dd. Dh and I are meeting with a therapist tomorrow before they schedule her and I want some ideas to help her that is not medicine. Dd is opposed to medication and dh and I don't feel good about it either. I think dd has had some issues in the past but they weren't bad, but starting high school this week triggered something worse and we're all very concerned.

All I've come up with so far is more exercise and trying to get her to eat more. She eats very healthy when she does eat. The problem is that she refuses breakfast, has no lunch (or only a chocolate milk) at school, and then just eats a normal dinner and small snack before bed. I have been able to get her to drink tea at breakfast the past two mornings but still no food.

I've thought about asking the doctor to order blood work. Aren't there some things, such as certain vitamins, that can cause or enhance these issues?

What else am I missing? I'll look in to all ideas. TIA!

While I think physical changes can help a lot - breakfast, exercise, good diet, etc.  I think if she's never learned any of those cognitive therapy tricks, then that's your ticket and it's work that she and you guys absolutely need to do in the long run.  Make sure you've chosen a therapist who is good at treating anxiety in that way.

There's a book called The Mood Cure that may have a lot of info.  

To the extent possible, I'd start with diet and exercise, adding in standard vitamins like d3, B complex, C and maybe zinc (zinc increases appetite to the point that it should be taken with food - I'd do it with dinner).

FWIW, my dd13 has been experiencing some weird reduction in appetite along with a bit of nausea and has been eating mostly toast the past week or so.  The ped suggested probiotics and prilosec for a possible heartburn issue.  My dd reports a minor increase in anxiety, nothing major; she hasn't started school yet.

That's not very much to eat. (Gently) Have you considered the possibility of an eating disorder?

She's a healthy weight even while eating so little during the day. She's 5'5" and 112 lbs. She eats well at dinner. Last night she scarfed down a 3 egg omelet with spinach and cheese and a side of hash browns. Later she had a coconut granola bar and a glass of milk. Her bathroom is right off the main area and she's not getting sick after eating.

I come from a family with a history of both depression and bi-polar disorder. We treat it in our family just like we would diabetes. Diet, exercise, and medication when necessary. You can't "fix" or even help either problem if you start with a mindset that medication is not going to be required. Please don't go into this thinking that if you just had the right combination of diet and exercise and maybe.just the right vitamin that your child will get better. Often medication is not just the best option but the only thing that works.

We are not ruling out medication. Dd doesn't even want to see a therapist and she is very against taking anything right now. We've compromised and she agreed to talk with someone if we all don't push medication. So, that is where we are at right now. My hope is that if the therapist believes she needs medication she will be able to convince dd to take it.

This is for my teen dd. Dh and I are meeting with a therapist tomorrow before they schedule her and I want some ideas to help her that is not medicine. Dd is opposed to medication and dh and I don't feel good about it either. I think dd has had some issues in the past but they weren't bad, but starting high school this week triggered something worse and we're all very concerned.

All I've come up with so far is more exercise and trying to get her to eat more. She eats very healthy when she does eat. The problem is that she refuses breakfast, has no lunch (or only a chocolate milk) at school, and then just eats a normal dinner and small snack before bed. I have been able to get her to drink tea at breakfast the past two mornings but still no food.

I've thought about asking the doctor to order blood work. Aren't there some things, such as certain vitamins, that can cause or enhance these issues?

What else am I missing? I'll look in to all ideas. TIA!

The brains of young teens begin to go through a process of pruning to make them more efficient. What happens is that neurons in between the amygdala and prefrontal cortex get pruned out and the reduced number of neurons cannot prevent electrical signals from coming through. The extra signals that get through cause feelings of depression and anxiety. This is overly simplistic but that's the gist. It's based on work being done at UCLA.

The good news is that specific types of mindfulness-based therapies can build up the number of neurons to a healthy level. Numerous brain imaging scans done throughout the US at different labs have shown this works.

One person who is very involved with studying and working with adolescents is Dan Siegel, a clinical psychiatrist at UCLA. You can hear him explain this in the following video at about 1 hour and 12 minutes. You might want to watch the whole video as well. If it doesn't link you to the video, click on "Audio & Video" in the white bat and scroll down to Dan's video.

http://www.familyactionnetwork.net/#!dan-siegel-brainstorm-the-power-and-pu/c1dvw

Helpful book that you might like:

Brainstorm: The Power and Purpose of the Teenage Brain by Dan Siegel

The Emotional Life of Your Brain by Richard Davidson (He has a video at the same above site.)

I think this is a must-read for anyone dealing with depression and/or anxiety.

Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain by John Ratey

Exercise balances neurotransmitters. For girls, aerobic exercise is good but boys need anaerobic exercise.

Having mentioned all the above, I am not anti-medication but there are other ways to help which are proving to be effective. Since you asked for information about other options, I'm just offering it for your consideration.

Good luck to your daughter.

I've had depression and anxiety forever and there is family history with it. Personally, I take my daily prescription as a matter of course (I've gone off it several times with disastrous results). I find that exercise helps lift my mood above and beyond the medicine. This article describes the kind of exercise that works best: 

http://psychcentral.com/news/2013/05/11/new-guidelines-for-using-exercise-as-an-antidepressant/54728.html

The basic recommendations are 3-5 times per week, 45-60 minutes, and it needs to raise your heart rate. My favorite is to just hop on an elliptical, it gets me nice and sweaty and I like the regular motion of the machine. 

But I understand not wanting to start out with drugs. Cog-behavioral therapy, as others have mentioned, can work wonders. 

She's a healthy weight even while eating so little during the day. She's 5'5" and 112 lbs. She eats well at dinner. Last night she scarfed down a 3 egg omelet with spinach and cheese and a side of hash browns. Later she had a coconut granola bar and a glass of milk. Her bathroom is right off the main area and she's not getting sick after eating.

This does not rule out an eating disorder, so do keep being alert and aware for signs. 

My dd's eating habits, anxiety and OCD symptoms  improved significantly when she became heavily involved in an active sport. 

We are not ruling out medication. Dd doesn't even want to see a therapist and she is very against taking anything right now. We've compromised and she agreed to talk with someone if we all don't push medication. So, that is where we are at right now. My hope is that if the therapist believes she needs medication she will be able to convince dd to take it.

One argument, should medication be required, is to remember that depression is a disease, an illness, of the brain, one of the major organs of our bodies that may need medication just as much as a disease or illness of any other part of the body.  If she had cancer or diabetes you would not hesitate to get her to a doctor for medical treatment.

My son in college was hit with panic attacks, depression, and has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder in the past few months.  We knew, via phone calls and facebook messages, how bad it was when he AGREED without argument to see a psychiatrist right off the bat (we wanted to start with a doctor able to prescribe meds if needed...and boy, have they been needed).  So I speak from a little recent experience here.

If there was a therapist trained in CBT close to his school, we'd have him do that, too.

Good luck.

I come from a family with a history of both depression and bi-polar disorder. We treat it in our family just like we would diabetes. Diet, exercise, and medication when necessary. You can't "fix" or even help either problem if you start with a mindset that medication is not going to be required. Please don't go into this thinking that if you just had the right combination of diet and exercise and maybe.just the right vitamin that your child will get better. Often medication is not just the best option but the only thing that works.

I disagree with the part about vitamins. The more I learn about Vitamin B12 deficiency and MTHFR gene mutation, the more I think that has a lot to do with how people feel.

I'd have a doctor check B12 (should be at least 500), folate, ferritin, Vitamin D, and CBC.

I think you are wise to "go with" what your teen expresses willingness to do.

One difficult barrier, however, is that anxiety and depression's symptoms often block access to the "natural" things that make anxiety and depression better. So, while exercise, sleep, good nutrition, fellowship, etc are brain healers, the illnesses prevent sufferers from helping themselves.

I agree with CBT and mindfulness.

I've a list of things that could help, and do help me as I am predisposed to genetic depression. (yes, we've done testing, and know exactly what the mutation is.)

vitamin d3 (most people are somewhat deficient.  blood levels are now recommended to be above 50. oh, and dd discussed in one of her classes it is under consideration to be reclassified as a hormone because of how many bodily systems require it to function correctly.)

a GOOD b-complex.  (I use emerald laboratories b-healthy. you want  the most bioavailable forms.) yes, there is a difference.  I used to use naturemaid.  for YEARS. and it helped vs without.  then I tried the emerald labs, and within 10 days it was like someone had flipped a switch.  that big a difference.)

yoga.  (I saw a great bumper sticker today that said "running is cheaper than therapy".  same for yoga.  just by itself will reduce stress that predisposes to anxiety and depression.)  at least three hours per week.  (whatever exercise she does should be at least three hours a week.)

NO sugar. zip, zilch, nadda.  years ago I saw a book called "sugar blues".  too much sugar can lead to depression.  under no circumstances use fake sugars. (hfcs, etc.) and keep in mind,  honey, agave, etc. are *still* sugar.  (I admit, I ate blackberry pie for dh's bd.  but most of the time I have cut sugar.  (not just added sugars, but fruit that has lots of sugar e.g. apples, is eaten very sparringly.)

I also eat costco's non-fat greek yogurt for breakfast. (about the only form of milk I eat.)  no added sugars, and has six types of probiotics for the gut.  (gut health is very important - even for mental health.)  I add my own fresh/frozen berries for flavor.  (most commercial yogurt is loaded with sugar.)

if she is depressed - that may kill her appetite so she doesn't want to eat.

I also take 5-htp.  now I feel 'normal', like 'myself'.

St. John's Wort is good for mild depression.

Also, is she taking doxycycline?  That causes depression in some people.  It's an antibiotic that is often prescribed for acne, rosacea, and Lyme's disease, so it's not one of the ones that scream 'mood altering drug, caution!'.

antibiotics mess up gut bacteria - and a really good probiotic should be taken along with it.  gut bacteria (or lack thereof) can affect mood.

eta: sugar messes up gut bacteria too.  that's why it can trigger depressive episodes.

Lots of good advice.  I would add:

Omega 3s.  we use Country Life Omega 3 Mood---2 capsules a day and it helps.   You want 1000mg of EPA with a higher EPA:DHA ratio and not just 1000mg of fish oils (most of which only have 300mg of active omegas).

Good sleep/wake cycle with plenty of regular sleep.  Might mean a 9pm bedtime if she needs to be up by 6am.

As others have said above, don't rule out medication if needed.  We use the above ideas and more to HELP but my girls still require medication.

Lots of good advice.  I would add:

Omega 3s.  we use Country Life Omega 3 Mood---2 capsules a day and it helps.   You want 1000mg of EPA with a higher EPA:DHA ratio and not just 1000mg of fish oils (most of which only have 300mg of active omegas).

Good sleep/wake cycle with plenty of regular sleep.  Might mean a 9pm bedtime if she needs to be up by 6am.

As others have said above, don't rule out medication if needed.  We use the above ideas and more to HELP but my girls still require medication.

I think her sleep is okay. She's fortunate her high school doesn't start until 9:15am, so she's going to bed at 10pm and getting up at 7:30am. She's waking on her own due to the noise of her sister getting ready and leaving for school.

I agree with the advice about diet, too. If you want to read more about probiotics, try doing a search on psychobiotics or "probiotics and depression." Most of our serotonin is actually found in our intestines and that might be one reason why increasing probiotics helps. They also seem to reduce inflammation. An article about the gut and mental health:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/gut-second-brain/

I make my own fermented slaws and add a probiotic culture to increase the variety of probiotics because I figure that it can only help improve my health. It just involves shredding cabbage and a few other veggies using a Presto Salad Shooter, juicing some celery (optional), popping it in some glass Ball jars, then waiting about a week to ferment. After that, everything goes in the fridge. It has a tangy flavor and keeps quite well.

For someone with depression that is really difficult to treat, transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) can be helpful. I don't think your daughter needs anything like that, though.

We have found success with these supplements:

Magnesium. We like Neuromag by Life Extension.

Omega 3 fish Oil

and most importantly 5-htp. Helped with sleep and moods

Ubiquinol and Rhodiola also seemed to help but we found that when we removed them the other supplements continued to do what was needed

I agree with others that diet, healthy food, enough sun, time outside (not just "sun time"), and cognitive behavioral therapy are an excellent plan. She is not eating enough before dinner and that could very well be affecting her mood. I don't think you can rule out an eating disorder when she only eats one meal a day, but it's kind of a chicken and egg kind of thing. What happens if you offer her a granola bar or something quick in the morning?

You should google studies about the relative effectiveness of exercise vs. medication.