Menu

Blast From the Past...Do you remember

Ewe Mama

Seawees?

The little mermaid dolls that were tub toys and each one came with a comb and a lily pad sponge? I had one as a child and I loved playing with her. I keep wishing I had kept her for my daughters.

Isn't it funny, the things you wish you had saved?

Yes! My sisters and I loved those! 

I feel old.  my girls were little when little mermaid came out . . . . . . (and I didn't buy any of the merchandise.)

They had nothing to do with Disney's Little Mermaid (which came out when I was in college, if that makes you feel any better?), they were way before that. 

http://www.plaidstallions.com/kenner/seaweaspic.jpg

It drives me nuts how many bath toys are prone to get moldy.

I was not familiar with Sea Wees but I was thinking about old games today. Stuff that I loved but now if you buy it, you have to pay like $100 on ebay.

Hey, there is a SeeWees listing for only $10! :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-Kenner-Sea-Wees-n-Babies-Shelly-See-Wees-Baby-Sprite-MOC-Unopened-/201151410008?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ed58eef58

Yes! I never knew what they were called. My sister had a purple one with a floating lilypad. I was nice enough to not tease her when I discovered she sometimes still slipped it into the bath with her at 13 ;)

Hmm, ours looked different. Maybe they were a knock-off or something similar? I think she got hers in 1988-89.

Oh yeah, weebles!  We had some of those.  And we had a lot of the old "little people" before 90% of kids' toys and clothes were labeled choking hazards.

We never had bath toys though.  I suppose they were too much trouble for a very busy mom.

I loved Seawees too. I kept mine and the kids play with them at my mom's. They haven't molded yet.

You can actually buy a new version of Seawees. We have them at our house and they come with a lily pad sponge too. They're a little bigger, but still fun.

http://www.amazon.com/Wees-Deluxe-Salon-Island-Play/dp/B009FU7TX2/ref=sr_1_sc_2?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1408290545&sr=1-2-spell&keywords=seawees

My sister had one.

I miss Weebles.

Weebles have been resurrected. Our local children's museum had the most amazing traveling Weebles exhibit...one exhibit for each state with hands on activities. And featuring Weebles. They sold all the Weebles toys in the gift shop. This was only a couple of months ago.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003CRCQLO?pc_redir=1408169949&robot_redir=1

This thread is making me feel OLD.

Me, too. I was a little too old for these toys. I always wished for some Sea Monkeys, though. They were advertised in the comic books I read. So was Wonder Bread and Twinkies (which weren't available in Canada WAY back then - I always wanted to try them).

Me, too. I was a little too old for these toys. I always wished for some Sea Monkeys, though. They were advertised in the comic books I read. So was Wonder Bread and Twinkies (which weren't available in Canada WAY back then - I always wanted to try them).

I remember Sea Monkeys, too!

Turned out that they weren't real monkeys. :glare:

It was!

They should have been monkeys.

At least I still had the joy of Twinkies and Wonder Bread. ;)

Sea Monkeys are available in Canada now, though, and my dd had some. They may not be real monkeys, but they are the toughest, most hardy pets imaginable. Ours survived for at least a year after we ran out of Sea Monkey food. You can purchase Sea Monkeys here, but not the food on its own. Apparently, Sea Monkeys can live on whatever is in their water they live in (algae? Sea Monkey excrement?). Don't actually clean the water, though. That's how we finally finished them off. Poor beggars.

P.S. Now that I've finally experienced the "joy" of Wonder Bread and Twinkies, I'm pretty disappointed. I guess I was expecting something a little more, um, tasty?

Weebles have been resurrected. Our local children's museum had the most amazing traveling Weebles exhibit...one exhibit for each state with hands on activities. And featuring Weebles. They sold all the Weebles toys in the gift shop. This was only a couple of months ago.

Those look pretty close!

I'd seen some before, but they were completely different.

Here's what not to do with a seawee:

Lay it over the top of a lamp so the hair could dry from the lightbulb. Turns out it melts all the hair off. I was devastated but at least we smelled it before anything was actually on fire.

Oh, I'm so sorry about your doll, but I am glad there wasn't any serious damage to yourself or your home.

Do they still say, "Weebles wobble but they don't fall down"?

Do they still say, "Weebles wobble but they don't fall down"?

I used to call one of my nephews "the weeble" because when he was a tot, he'd wobble but he wouldn't fall down.  :P

Not sure if his mother understood the reference....

I loved Seawees too. I kept mine and the kids play with them at my mom's. They haven't molded yet.

You can actually buy a new version of Seawees. We have them at our house and they come with a lily pad sponge too. They're a little bigger, but still fun.

http://www.amazon.com/Wees-Deluxe-Salon-Island-Play/dp/B009FU7TX2/ref=sr_1_sc_2?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1408290545&sr=1-2-spell&keywords=seawees

Thank you for linking this! I had googled Seawees and got a bunch of pictures of the originals, and none of the new version.

OK, I have to say that these aren't anywhere near as cute as they originals were. But I did order it to give to Faith for her birthday. She'll still like it.

If she wonders where the lily pad sponge disappears to, she will have to look long and hard. :lol: