Menu

Hanging clothes out to dry..

aren't you guys worried about dust and dirt? Just wondering.

You may find this strange, but the thought of worrying about dust or dirt never even occurred to me. Now that it's been mentioned, I'm not worried at all, because I know my clothes comes out looking and smelling clean. Been at the "solar drying" for 15 years, and it's all good.

:001_smile:

You may find this strange, but the thought of worrying about dust or dirt never even occurred to me. Now that it's been mentioned, I'm not worried at all, because I know my clothes comes out looking and smelling clean. Been at the "solar drying" for 15 years, and it's all good.

:001_smile:

Well, what about wind and breezes? Maybe it's where I live but every time I open my windows I have to do extra dusting. I wondered how clean my clothes would be if I hung them out to dry.

Well, what about wind and breezes? Maybe it's where I live but every time I open my windows I have to do extra dusting. I wondered how clean my clothes would be if I hung them out to dry.

I suppose they'd be as clean as they are whenever you wear them outside in the wind and breezes. You do WEAR them don't you? :D I hope that doesn't sound snarky...I'd like to reassure you, you know, but apparently I'm pretty different about my approach to dirt in the atmosphere. I kind of figure I'm breathing the stuff, and my whole world exists in it, so I can't quite see how line drying clothes is any different.

I know! As soon as it's nice enough to open the windows in the spring, I have to close them because pollen covers everything in my house. I just figured the same thing happens to clothes on the line.

Nup! But I would worry very seriously about my electricity bill if I used a dryer. In fact, I think I'd have to give up eating to afford it. My mother used to get horrid hayfever; if there was pollen on her clothes, it never triggered it off. Just don't plant your line right under serious pollen producing trees.

:)

Rosie

Yes, unlike other posters, we cannot dry outside due to environmental pollens and molds. We wash in very hot water, and dry completely in a dryer, or hang the clothes in our furnace room. I would love to dry outside, but it's just not possilble. I've even tried it from time to time, particulary in the fall after a hard freeze. I just can't, my family suffers.

I hang my laundry in my garage. The garage door is on the side and it is open when we are home. I use the door track to hang from.

I have allergies as well and will hang them from the shower rod if there is a lot of pollen in the air. They take longer to dry inside however.

I picked up this habit, that I have not been doing much since I moved to Florida, but I hang my clothes up inside out.

Now it may sound daft, but I got this from my Nana, who lives in the North West of England, a major industrial town. Back when there used to be mills running all the time, the soot in the air was so thick sometimes, the walls of the houses would eventually turn black.

As they lived in a small house and every one hung there washing on lines that went across the street, everyone would turn the clothes inside out. That way the front stayed clean and you always washed before you went to bed, so washing off an extra bit of soot was nothing.

Even though there are no mills running now, my Nana still hangs clothes inside out.

Yeeeeaaaaahhhhh but I don't fold my clothes backup and put in the drawer after I wear them.

For the most part, what I'm trying to get out of clothes when I wash them is stuff that we've spilled, sweat, or just the natural oils from our skin/dry skin cells.

The small amount of dust that may land on the clothes on the line won't cause any smell to accummulate on the clothes, so it's ok with me.

Does that help at all?

I have severe allergies and take medicine EVERY day (not my choice --my allergies go beyond affecting the QUALITY of my life!) Anyway, I hang dry EVERYTHING except my pillow cases. And if pollens or molds are really high, I'll hang their clothes but not mine. I'd worry more about bird poop than dust and pollens.

I've line dried my clothes for years. Have never had a problem with dust. In the summer, they dry so quickly they're not on the line for very long. If a wind comes up, I take them down. I'm not in a subdivision with small lawns. Most people have acreages with a good share of direct, but still haven't had a problem.

My dh, who has chronic sinus problems, does better with line dried clothes than clothes from a clothes dryer???? Lint might be the culprit there, not sure.

Janet

I havent read the other responses but we don't even have a dryer, and here in Australia most people hang their clothes outside. It is amazing for us to think of millions of people using that much electricity to dry clothes when the sun and wind are free. Dirt? Well, we don't live where there is that much dirt in the air, even though we live in a medium sized city. I breathe the air, I am sure it's good enough for my clothes. But then I have never subscribed to modern Bacteriaphobia.

Lol, I just read Melissa's response- I love that bushfire smell, personally :)

I've been hanging my clothes to dry for a couple of years now. In the winter I hang them in the basement and in the spring/summer/early fall I hang them outside. I am allergic to pollen and I have never had a problem. The only times I've had outside dirt on my clean laundry is if one of my shorter kids tries to hang a larger item (like a bath towel.) But 99.9% of the time there is no problem here. I'm with Doran:

I'm not worried at all, because I know my clothes comes out looking and smelling clean. Been at the "solar drying" for 15 years, and it's all good.