Menu

Cat allergies - how severe are yours?

Spryte

Another thread made me feel less alone (thank you for that!).

Until DS, I've only seen cat allergies as a mild annoyance. Itchy eyes and sneezing, maybe.

But DS has ended up in the hospital after visiting my mom (who has a cat) twice. Major asthma attacks, one of which kept going until he had pneumonia (unrelated? Not sure?). Another time we thought we needed to epipen him just from contact with a pillow on which the cat had slept.

Needless to say, DS hasn't visited her since. It's been 6 years. And he doesn't go visit friends with cats at all.

If you have cat allergies, how do you react?

The other thread made me aware that DS isn't alone in his reaction, but I didn't want to hijack it.

Wow! Poor kid.

I just get itchy eyes and skin and sometimes hives. I've had my cat for 16 years now, and cats all my life, and strange cats make me worse- the hives are always at my moms house, guess I'm not used to her cats like I am mine. I take allergy Meds daily and its manageable, certainly preferable to no cat for me.

I didn't even know you could have such a strong allergy to animals!

I had mild allergies and was even able to live with a cat for many years.  DS gets hives upon contact.  :(  He can't visit a house where an indoor cat lives and we have to be cautious around people who own mutiple cats and may have contaminated clothes.  The same is true for dogs. 

My son just gets sneezing/itchy eyes sorts of things.

But my nephew has ended up in the ER from indoor cat exposure (asthma that his dad, a pediatrician, couldn't control and felt needed ER...along with hives...I think it's likely anaphylaxis....). I've seen that same child get hives from being near a cat outdoors. So your son isn't alone.

How long was your son around the cat before the reaction got to that point? That's awful.

It was pretty quick. The time we almost epipenned was maybe 30 minutes around the pillow/blanket. The visits ... We were not as well versed in asthma, as it was when it all started... I think the hospital visit was the second day we were there. My mom's cat has long hair, maybe that makes a difference?

Heartlikealion, keep an eye on it if he might have asthma. Our guy doesn't wheeze, so we were shocked when we found out how much trouble he was having. We knew nothing about asthma though. Absolutely nothing.

Pinky, it's cool the allergy shots helped your brother. And that you have a pet free room.

My mom keeps a set of dander free clothes at our house, and changes when she walks in. It's crazy.

If not wheezing what did the asthma attack look like?

Cough variant asthma. He gets a hacky cough. Sense of panic, at first. Shallow breathing. As it progresses there is clearly a struggle to breathe, retractions, etc. With that first time, I think his lips were turning bluish, but I may be remembering wrong.

He has allergy induced asthma, so other allergens can set it off too. But cats are the quickest, scariest.

I am close to anaphylactic in my reaction.

I was in the same room as a cat on Monday---a room with no carpet and all hard surfaces. I was there about 10-15 min; the cat was in there 4-5 min. I have an ear infection, sinus infection, and pneumonia from fluid being trapped from the allergic reaction that ensued.

I had several cats as pets growing up. I used to only get itchy eyes as a reaction.

My kids get hives and swollen face and asthma attacks already; I worry about them in the future. As it is, we have a lot of family we cannot visit due to the pet situation. We are limited in where we can live in the housing market and a simple hotel stay can be life-threatening.

That's horrible. And sounds familiar. DS ended up with pneumonia, too. :(

I hope you feel better soon!

One reason we haven't moved is wondering how to manage allergens, if a house might have been home to a cat before we move in. It's easy to manage in our own home, but the thought of moving is daunting. Hotel stays, too - we've changed rooms because of unknown reactions. Maybe cat, who knows?

I had no idea this wasn't totally bizarre. Thanks for sharing your stories.

My ds's eyes swelled shut and he got very sleepy after visiting SIL's house where a cat lives. We had to stop on the way home and get Benadryl and feared an ER run, but he never had breathing trouble, so we just watched him closely and kept the Benadryl coming every 4-5 hours until he was better.

Relatively minor.  

If I'm in someone's house with cats for a few hours, I can take a Benadryl when I go to bed, and I'm fine.

If I have to be around it for days, I usually end up thoroughly miserable by the end and the stuffiness and coughing goes into a cold and bronchitis.  When my Dad died I stayed elsewhere, but did all of Mom's paperwork and helped her get the house back in shape over two weeks.  Misery because she had to have the cat everywhere we were.  After awhile I gave up on reminding her that I was allergic because she had dementia and was so mixed up then.  I was sick for a good month afterwards.  She died in a facility (the cat was long gone), but the cat dander still made me miserable because it was in her clothes and furniture as we were dividing up everything.  Thankfully I didn't get sick then.

Dh gets hives from visiting people who have a cat even if he doesn't touch the cat.

He also got hives from playing with our nephew at our house...nephew has a cat.

Thankfully it doesn't seem to trigger his asthma.

I am so sorry you are dealing with even worse reactions than my DH. My sister doesn't have a cat because she wants DH to be able to visit her without feeling sick. DH reacts almost immediately upon entering a house with a cat and it takes him a couple days to fully recover.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Only mild allergies in our immediate family, but DS used to have worse issues as a little one.  He ended up using a nebulizer fairly often until he was about 4.  My uncle has terrible allergies to cats and his face puffs up, etc.  I have a friend, though, that has to take injections in each arm every day because her allergies to cats are so severe she could die.  She lives in an apartment complex that has lots of cats.  She loves cats and has outdoor pet cats, too.  But she has to take those injections every day.

Severe allergies to cat here.   Walking into a cat house my eyes instantly puff up, turn pink and start draining, the sinuses start working overtime with the itching and sneezing, and it's a guaranteed instant asthma attack.  I would say it was anaphalactic if I didn't have a rescue inhaler.  

It takes a LOT for me to be willing to go to a cat house.  I take multiple allergy meds, and the whole family knows that as soon as we walk in the door at home, everyone has to change out of their clothes- putting them right in the washer so I don't have to touch them,  and then line up for a shower.  It's a HUGE pita. 

When we spend time with people with cats, I have to maintain a little distance as well.  Not enough to make it obvious, but we have friends who come over for game night- I have to make sure I sit across the table from them and not next to one of them.

My mom and one of my brothers is just as allergic.  My mom has always been allergic, but when I was a kid, we had a neighborhood stray adopt our family- it lived outside, but was a bit wonton- she had lots of kitties.  ;)  One year there was one kitty who no one wanted because he had a bit of a deformity, so we thought he would hang about as well.  It turned out none of us was allergic to this particular kitten.  It was the oddest thing!  He ended up being a house pet for many years.  I've never encountered another cat that I was not allergic too though. 

Severe allergies to cat here.   Walking into a cat house my eyes instantly puff up, turn pink and start draining, the sinuses start working overtime with the itching and sneezing, and it's a guaranteed instant asthma attack.  I would say it was anaphalactic if I didn't have a rescue inhaler.  

It takes a LOT for me to be willing to go to a cat house.  I take multiple allergy meds, and the whole family knows that as soon as we walk in the door at home, everyone has to change out of their clothes- putting them right in the washer so I don't have to touch them,  and then line up for a shower.  It's a HUGE pita. 

When we spend time with people with cats, I have to maintain a little distance as well.  Not enough to make it obvious, but we have friends who come over for game night- I have to make sure I sit across the table from them and not next to one of them.

My mom and one of my brothers is just as allergic.  My mom has always been allergic, but when I was a kid, we had a neighborhood stray adopt our family- it lived outside, but was a bit wonton- she had lots of kitties.   ;)  One year there was one kitty who no one wanted because he had a bit of a deformity, so we thought he would hang about as well.  It turned out none of us was allergic to this particular kitten.  It was the oddest thing!  He ended up being a house pet for many years.  I've never encountered another cat that I was not allergic too though. 

Wow, that's really interesting!

I am severely allergic to cats.  Have been for my whole life.  I usually begin reacting immediately, but will be flat out miserable within 30 minutes.  My reaction is mainly not being able to breath.  My lungs just seem to lock up.  No amount of anithistamines help either.  I just plain need to leave the house.  It's really too bad because my DD would love to have a cat.

Thanks, everyone, for sharing your experiences.  I'm going to share these with DS, and he will feel less lonely in his allergy.  

This is just astonishing.  I had no idea that cat allergies could be so severe (until DS).  

I felt bad "liking" these posts, and I don't like the allergies - just appreciate hearing about them!

My cat allergy improved when I became pregnant with ds1. I have been able to spend 30 minutes in a house with a cat (if the cat is in a different room). Before having ds1, 10 minutes in that situation would land me in the hospital not able to breathe.

It was really scary growing up. Ventolin was the only thing I had to help me until I could get to the hospital.

The worst part was people who wouldn't believe me. When I said allergy they assumed I would get red itchy eyes and a cough at worst (even when I said it would cause me to stop breathing). This led them to not take me seriously. Several people lied to me over the years and told me they didn't have cats when I asked. Then I would visit and have a reaction. They would say "but the cat is put away, so I thought you wouldn't notice" or "I vacuumed really well so there wouldn't be any hairs" or "my type of cat doesn't cause relativeXYZ to experience their allergies".

When we tried to buy a house we couldn't consider anywhere that had cats. I couldn't even do a walk through. We ended up building.

DH just reminded me that he and I do have an adult male friend that is very allergic to ANY furred animal.  He has to leave if he walks into a house with furred animals and antihistamines don't help.  But his mom bought him an iguana and a boa constrictor to have as pets as a child.  He loves animals.  He still keeps reptiles as pets and the iguana is pretty fun to be around.

...his mom bought him an iguana and a boa constrictor to have as pets as a child.  He loves animals.  He still keeps reptiles as pets and the iguana is pretty fun to be around.

:)  I keep thinking we're going to end up with snakes.  We do have 3 aquatic turtles, and adore them.  They are spoiled turtles.  

We do have dogs, though DS is allergic to them.  His RAST numbers to dogs are lower than his cat numbers (cat numbers are through the roof!).  He has to take allergy/asthma meds anyway.  Though, honestly, if we'd known about the allergies first, we'd have skipped the furred animals.  The only animal he doesn't show an allergy to (via bloodwork) is... a cow.   :huh:

:)  I keep thinking we're going to end up with snakes.  We do have 3 aquatic turtles, and adore them.  They are spoiled turtles.  

We do have dogs, though DS is allergic to them.  His RAST numbers to dogs are lower than his cat numbers (cat numbers are through the roof!).  He has to take allergy/asthma meds anyway.  Though, honestly, if we'd known about the allergies first, we'd have skipped the furred animals.  The only animal he doesn't show an allergy to (via bloodwork) is... a cow.   :huh:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Guess you really aren't planning on having a cow as a house pet.  :)

I had snakes as pets as a kid.  Not quite the same as a cat or dog but Bro and I loved them, all the same.  And my friend that owns reptiles hauls them all over the place.  And they recognize him.  The snake gets a bit cranky sometimes, and it is a BIG snake now so cranky isn't something I mess with, but she is really pretty cool most of the time.

It fascinates me how big a range allergies can be. I'm apparently allergic to cats. I have no symptoms at all, and we have two indoor cats who used to sleep in our bedroom. The only reason I know I'm allergic is the prick test at the allergist indicated I was. Weird.

My cat allergy improved when I became pregnant with ds1. I have been able to spend 30 minutes in a house with a cat (if the cat is in a different room). Before having ds1, 10 minutes in that situation would land me in the hospital not able to breathe.

It was really scary growing up. Ventolin was the only thing I had to help me until I could get to the hospital.

The worst part was people who wouldn't believe me. When I said allergy they assumed I would get red itchy eyes and a cough at worst (even when I said it would cause me to stop breathing). This led them to not take me seriously. Several people lied to me over the years and told me they didn't have cats when I asked. Then I would visit and have a reaction. They would say "but the cat is put away, so I thought you wouldn't notice" or "I vacuumed really well so there wouldn't be any hairs" or "my type of cat doesn't cause relativeXYZ to experience their allergies".

When we tried to buy a house we couldn't consider anywhere that had cats. I couldn't even do a walk through. We ended up building.

This.  I have truly offended people when I said I could not come to their home because of their cats.  They always look at me strange and say something like "Can't you take a claritin or something?"  They don't understand the scary not-breathing part of the allergy.  They're always well-intentioned, do the cleaning and stuff, but it just doesn't work.

I used to visit a woman with a cat.  originally, it was a brand new apartment and I had no reaction.  the longer she lived there the quicker my reactions would be.  they also got stronger.  always in the 'nose running, sneezing, eyes watering' range. I started taking antihistamines before going, and it wasn't enough.  (I've had less trouble with cat allergies in the cat rooms at the humane society.)

while growing up a friend whose family sometimes received a box of hand-me downs from a neighbor could walk in her own house, and within minutes would ask "where's the cat?".  the clothes were still in a closed box. (they would be washed thoroughly before use.)  as a child, she really wanted a kitten.  her mother made her a deal - if she could hold it for 15 minutes . .. . she always gave it back.

this is a good reminder.  dudeling really wants a cat, and this is a good reason to stay away from cats.

It fascinates me how big a range allergies can be. I'm apparently allergic to cats. I have no symptoms at all, and we have two indoor cats who used to sleep in our bedroom. The only reason I know I'm allergic is the prick test at the allergist indicated I was. Weird.

Right?  I'm supposed to be allergic to cats.  I've had cats all my life.  I DO have seasonal allergies to things like ragweed and blooming cedar, but not cats.  I assume there must be some additional component at play that the medical community is still not privy to in their testing....

Our entire family has cat allergies.  In 2008, we bought a house.  The former owner of the home was a cat owner.  Within a few days, we all began reacting.  Dh had the worst reactions.  He'd wake in the middle of the night with coughing fits.  We tried to clean the carpets, but it didn't help.  We ended up having to rip out all of the home's carpeting and replaced it with hardwood.   

Dh has well-controlled asthma unless he goes to a house with cats.  His rescue inhaler hasn't done the trick a couple times so we gave up on visiting certain friends, especially if they have lots of carpet and stuffed furniture or don't vacuum a lot.  And even if the house is super clean it's still uncomfortable for him.

At this point that's his only uncontrolled asthma trigger.  Eating well, exercise, and indoor air filters have minimized his need for inhalers.  Sometimes he doesn't use them for weeks, but in allergy season he'll use the preventive regularly.  There was a time when he was in the ER a few times a year, so it's a great feeling to see how supporting his overall health has made such a difference.  (Including avoiding cats!)  His last ER visit for asthma was years and years ago.  

In terms of diet, sulfites are a major asthma trigger for him too (found in cornstarch and corn syrup, among other things).  And increasing fruits and veggies and decreasing grains reduces inflammation overall.  He doesn't avoid grains completely, just lightened up.

Amy 

When I was a kid, we had a cat.  Since I had terrible seasonal allergies (new season, new allergy), I didn't notice any difference having a cat vs. not having one.  My mom, who had terrible cat allergies, got used to the cat and was able to tolerate her (she really loved this cat too.)  But, when this cat had kittens, my mom was really sick with allergies and had 2 asthma attacks. 

After I became an adult, I started to react to cats - not being in the room with a cat, but if I would pet the cat and touch my face or eyes - itchy watery eyes, sneezing, etc  After I had swine flu, my allergies have kicked into high gear (cats and shellfish in particular.)  When I took dd on a girl scout trip to a local animal shelter, I had to leave the cat room because I started to feel wheezy.  For the most part, when I visit homes that have cats, I am OK if I don't touch the cat.  However, a dear friend had 2 Russian Blues.  There must be something about their dander because I sneezed and wheezed after 20 minutes in their house and I lost my voice.  I didn't even go near the cat and I sat in a leather chair that they had cleaned.  Their house was immaculate so it wasn't a lack of cleaning - just something about that breed in particular that bothered me. 

I've had cats my entire life and been allergic my entire life; itchy, watery eyes, stuffed nose, mild sneezing,  I think my allergies are probably mild-moderate, not severe.  I've gotten very, very good at avoiding touching my face; that doesn't allow the allergans to hit my mucous membranes, which triggers my allergic reaction.  For times that I get that allergic reaction, I take Flonase and Zyrtec in combination.

My allergies have steadily increased over the years.  I didn't realize how bad they were until once, as a senior in college, my advisor hosted several of us at his home for lunch.  He had a long haired cat... I didn't get too close, but ended up leaving with my eyes swollen almost shut.  Now I have to avoid any type of cat, as well as most dogs.  My poodle is about the only thing that doesn't make my eyes swell shut, my nasal passages completely blocked, or trigger an asthma attack.  :(   So I completely feel your son's pain, it's no fun.

Right?  I'm supposed to be allergic to cats.  I've had cats all my life.  I DO have seasonal allergies to things like ragweed and blooming cedar, but not cats.  I assume there must be some additional component at play that the medical community is still not privy to in their testing....

Yes, I wonder about the testing process, too, especially when they don't use "fresh, real" samples of items. If a cat licked my skin I don't react. If I stick my face right in the cat's fur I don't react. I reacted to samples of pollens from trees though.

My reaction seems to build over days. I can be in a home where a cat or cats live indoors and be fine for several hours or even days. We've tried to have an indoor cat twice. Both times I hit the 48-72 hr mark and was miserable: itchy skin/ears/eyes, feeling like my throat would close, sneezing, etc.

Our current cat has all the markings of a Russian Blue, which I thought I read are supposed to be less allergenic and it seems to be true -- at least for me. We used to let her come in overnight during bad winter storms, etc and I was able to tolerate having her in for short bursts. But then she pooped twice in my house, so now she goes to the garage instead.