Menu

It's Not Official Until it Makes the Siggy- Final Curriculum Plans- Add yours!

BugsMama

Who's with me with "finalized" plans? (note to self, I said FINAL which means I need to STOP looking. Stop. Now. Seriously.)

We have a big move coming up, so I have next year's stuff set aside in the "do not pack" suitcase, so I updated the signature to make it official.

Grade 4:

Oak Meadow 4th Grade (eveything)

Finish TT5, and then cycle back to Singapore 4 (TT was just a fail safe to cover for bad morning sickness)
Nancy Larson Science 2 (finish, then start 3)

American History Travel Study (using mostly Moving Beyond the Page Individual Units and lots of time Traveling)

Homeschool Spanish Academy Tutoring (maybe another spanish program at home to reenforce?)

Song School Latin 2

Grade 1:

Logic of English Foundations B and C (possibly D if it's finished!)
Right Start Math B
Nancy Larson Science 1 (finish then start 2)
Moving Beyond the Page 5-7 Concepts 3 and 4

Preschool:

Mother Goose Time Preschool

It feels good to say it out loud! LOL I'm DONE!

Eek!!! I've posted a bit in a few of the planning threads, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to call it!!! Maybe some in this thread can help me iron out the wrinkles?!

6th grade:

Language arts:

Continue working with Bravewriter and Killgallon. (Been contemplating an online class?)

(I'm going to try to let that be all! I'm not sure he needs explicit spelling, grammar, handwriting lessons any longer, especially since I plan to amp up the writing activities in history and science. I need to economize our time.)

Still thinking about Latin. I'm think I may just do Lively Latin, and have him continue with Vocab from Classical Roots. I'm not really on the side of doing intense Latin studies.

He's been playing around with Duolingo French. Foreign language is my homeschooling kryptonite. (sp?) I've been intensely researching this---maybe Galore Park SYRWTLF? 

Continue reading aloud (as long as he'll let me!) and continue his daily independent reading time. 

Math:

Saxon 7/6. (I've been thinking about MOTL for all of them or as supplement?)

History:

K12 Human Odyssey and Pandia Press HO Ancients level 2

Science:

???  Want to do Earth science. My youngest will do RSO Earth, and he could tag along...but he needs more.

Logic: ???? I don't like anything I research!!!

2nd grade:

Continue working on reading skills (WRTR/OPGTR)

Bravewriter activities

Read alouds, daily reading practice 

Maybe start Sequential Spelling

HWOT

Retry WWE1/FLL2

Dropping MM---going to try SM Standards 2A/B

Continue with Miquon

SOTW was a bust this year. Try again with HO/SOTW Ancients. Not interested in researching and buying any more history!!!

RSO Earth science

4 year old:

Mainly more of the same, but I want to start  her handwriting lessons--HWOT/ETC Get Ready Set Go books

Peak With Books

math games and possibly Saxon K

tag along in history projects and science 

Together:

Art--Drawing With Children and HFA and arts and crafts (this is the easiest subject for us to get done)

Nature Study and BWL activities.

What would I put in a siggy? "Trying to do things and not lose my mind in the process."

I've been toying with a major shift in curricula. I am currently pulling our LA/Rdg. from multiple sources...however I think I'm ready to COMMIT to an all-in-one approach.

I think.   :001_rolleyes:

1st grader:

ETC + leveled readers

CLE LA 1

CLE Math 1

3rd grade:
Dancing Bears B

CLE LA & Reading 2

CLE Math 2 -- accelerated & hoping to hit some/most of Math 3 before the year's out

Both:

Gospel Story Bible/Long Story Short

Art:  How to Teach Art to Children

Science in the Beginning

American History (exploration - westward expansion)

We start 2 weeks from Monday, and I've purchased everything I need to get started (some things will get purchased closer to time we need them, as we'll need new levels after a couple months).

5th grade

Math: AoPS Prealgebra (Chapters 6-end), Intro to Algebra (starting in February most likely)

Writing: CAP W&R (finish Fable, move into Narrative 1), EIW 6 (I have all this scheduled out so we do writing every day, but only one program each day)

Grammar: Hake Grammar 6 (just 2 days per week, so it will go into 6th grade)

Spelling: LOE Essentials

Literature: Lightning Literature 7, probably just half of it

History: MOH1

Science: Finish Science in the Beginning, and maybe move into Science in the Ancient World (given that we only did 16 lessons last year, I'm not holding my breath!)

Latin: Finish Lively Latin 1, then move into 2

2nd grade

Math: CLE Math 200/300 (will start 208 soon), Beast Academy finish 3B and do 3C and 3D

Language Arts: LOE Essentials (slower pace than 5th grader)

History: MOH1

Science: Science in the Beginning

K

Math: CLE Math 100/200 (I think he's in 104 now)

Language Arts: LOE Essentials (same pace as 2nd grader)

History: MOH1, if he wants to hang around and listen

Science: Science in the Beginning

This would mean I was really finished, right??? I'm going to try... Nope! Can't do it! Must keep searching! :p

Yeah, I say it like I mean it, but you know it won't last long LOL. I still think I *maybe* need something for spanish....

-Tapestry of Grace

-Harmony Fine Arts

-Science in the Beginning/follow Borenson Science books (right now I am using this go around of it by utilising the ideas & topics, so have been giving them just videos from Youtube etc on the subjects, so reflection/refraction, interesting experiments done by actual schoolkids filming themselves and stuff like Bill Nye on the themes).

-Living Math through History (Purchased Units)

-Math U See at appropriate levels

-Funnix 1 & 2

-I also grabbed Creativity Express and we started using that, and my eldest has Always Icecream (I add scoops to her account for each day for timely completion of school & chores).

-Once each child finishes Funnix, I was thinking of moving on to The Sound Way (an Australian English Programme, spell/write/read) after completion of Junior Soundway possibly move onto Cozy Grammar & maybe a roots program or game? (rummy roots?) or perhaps a writing programme. Theres a couple of things/topics I have planned it just depends on each childs interest and stress after finishing them.

I've stopped the youngest MUS for a little to brush up on her numeral recognition and writing as getting much further in MUS requires that (without changing a lot of it anyway) so shes doing some number sheets from Confessions of a Homeschooler, but if anybosy has some fun workbooks/worksheets for that (shes a workbook girl).

I'm also looking for an app or something self-correcting (computer? or maybe some sort of electronic thing?) that can help with enunciation and speech for my son as well (we work on it, and he's doing fabulous, I just would like something he would be willing to play with (he loves anything electronic) that he can do by himself (he gets rather frustrated or annoyed practising a lot regarding this, and refuses to do any other work with me (like schoolwork) if I push, so something he can take off into his quiet corner and play with would help out enormously. Finding ways to include practice in 24/7 and I'm running out of ideas and time. I found one app, but it cost an absolute fortune for something that was not worthwhile (for a speech therapist maybe/yeah, but for one child, not really).

Also looking at eldest joining something to do with horses,whether its just some workshops or something like a weekly riding group, am not sure, but looking into possibilities, so that should be exciting for her.

Eek!!! I've posted a bit in a few of the planning threads, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to call it!!! Maybe some in this thread can help me iron out the wrinkles?!

6th grade:

Language arts:

Continue working with Bravewriter and Killgallon. (Been contemplating an online class?)

(I'm going to try to let that be all! I'm not sure he needs explicit spelling, grammar, handwriting lessons any longer, especially since I plan to amp up the writing activities in history and science. I need to economize our time.)

Still thinking about Latin. I'm think I may just do Lively Latin, and have him continue with Vocab from Classical Roots. I'm not really on the side of doing intense Latin studies.

He's been playing around with Duolingo French. Foreign language is my homeschooling kryptonite. (sp?) I've been intensely researching this---maybe Galore Park SYRWTLF? 

Continue reading aloud (as long as he'll let me!) and continue his daily independent reading time. 

Math:

Saxon 7/6. (I've been thinking about MOTL for all of them or as supplement?)

History:

K12 Human Odyssey and Pandia Press HO Ancients level 2

Science:

???  Want to do Earth science. My youngest will do RSO Earth, and he could tag along...but he needs more.

Logic: ???? I don't like anything I research!!!

2nd grade:

Continue working on reading skills (WRTR/OPGTR)

Bravewriter activities

Read alouds, daily reading practice 

Maybe start Sequential Spelling

HWOT

Retry WWE1/FLL2

Dropping MM---going to try SM Standards 2A/B

Continue with Miquon

SOTW was a bust this year. Try again with HO/SOTW Ancients. Not interested in researching and buying any more history!!!

RSO Earth science

4 year old:

Mainly more of the same, but I want to start  her handwriting lessons--HWOT/ETC Get Ready Set Go books

Peak With Books

math games and possibly Saxon K

tag along in history projects and science 

Together:

Art--Drawing With Children and HFA and arts and crafts (this is the easiest subject for us to get done)

Nature Study and BWL activities.

What would I put in a siggy? "Trying to do things and not lose my mind in the process."

Moving Beyond the Page has some individual units for that age and earth science that could "beef up" RSO without being terribly overwhelming (as long as you didn't get a full year of their science)

Mine's Official!!!  I just finished making my orders last night.

5th Grade:

First Form Latin

Math Mammoth 5 + LoF + xtramath.com

Rod & Staff "English 5

Classical Composition Fable & Narrative

Famous Men of the Middle Ages w/ student guide + SOTW 2 (Lit: Adam of the Road, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, The Bronze Bow, The Door in the Wall, The Prince and the Pauper)

Memoria Press' Geography II

Apologia's Zoology 2: Swimming Creatures w/ notebooking journal

The History of Medicine & Exploring Planet Earth - Tiner

Daily reading: 30 min scriptures / 1 hour classic lit of choice

Poetry / copywork / memory work / picture study

See the Light Art Class

Typing

Duolingo German

Piano

3rd/4th Grade:

First Form Latin

Math mammoth 4 + LoF + xtramath.com

R&S English 4

Classical Writing - Aesop

Famous Men of Rome w/ student guide + SOTW 1

Memoria Press' Geography I

Apologia Astronomy w/ notebooking journal

Daily reading: 30 min scriptures / 30 min classic lit of choice

Poetry / copywork / memory work / picture study

See the Light Art Class

Typing

Duolingo German

Piano

1st Grade:

Phonics Pathways / McGuffey Readers

Reading Lessons through Literature 1

English Lessons through Literature 1

Math Mammoth 1

See the Light Art Class

lots of read alouds

4th grade -

Math -  Saxon 5/4

Language Arts - Abeka

History - Mystery of History

Science - Apologia, Land Animals of the 6th Day

Private Piano Lessons

2nd Grade

Math - Abeka

Language Arts - Abeka

History and Science - Non fiction readers and listening in with Big sister

Private piano lessons

Preschool - Abeka K4

We are all planned! Almost everything is purchased...all that's left is my big rainbow resource order which is all added to a wish list ready to hit buy!

4th grade

MM 4B-5A

W&R Narrative 1/BW

FLL4

R&S Spelling finish 4-5

SL Core E readers

Cursive copywork

2nd

MM 2B-3A

Finish OPGTR

AAS 2

Copywork

FLL 2

WWE 2

SL grade 3 readers

Together:

BSGFAA yr 3

ASK Science kits/ outside monthly classes

US History year 2 using VP/SL

Pre-K 4

FIAR

AAR pre level

HWOT pre-k

RS A

Almost all set...just a couple more things to purchase.

DS6- 1st:

Logic of English Foundations D then WRTR?

English Lessons Through Literature 1

RIghtstart B moving on to C

Tapestry of Grace Year 1

Piano Adventures

DS 4-5- Pre-k:

Logic of English Foundations A moving on to B

Rightstart A

(Goal is to be finished w/ LOE B and RS A by the end of his K year following - so taking it slow unless he wants to/can move faster.)

Wee Folk Art

Together:

Leading Little Ones to God

Song School Spanish/Salsa Episodes

Sassafras Science Zoology & Anatomy

Artistic Pursuits Book 1

Composer Study

I am done with 6th, 4th, and 2nd, but I don't feel like typing it.

Here is what I got for Mr. Twain to teach for this coming year:

The Way Things Work (David Macaulay)

LOF Elementary Physics   :coolgleamA:

Please type it?!?  :coolgleamA:

I did most of my planning in March and April  and haven't pulled it back out lately so I might be a little foggy with my recollection but I'll try.

4th/5th

Math- BA4A, 4B, 4C (as they come out), HoE, perhaps RS' new fraction kit, LoF Fractions

LA- MCT Town, WR bk 3 and 4, Spelling WHO knows!

Science- studies on Microbiology, Physics- Machines, Geology and Astronomy (detailed in other posts)- Lego Robotics- Sassafras Zoology and maybe Engineering as well

History- American History

Latin- GSWL

2nd-

LoE Level D and .... maybe some Bravewriter I think

MiF 2nd

tag along history and science along with nature study

Yup. Mine's done. It's official. Finito.

Here's our official, just waiting to start, all purchased line-up for 4th and 2nd grade:

• Grammar: First Language Lessons
  • Writing: IEW Fables, Myths, and Fairy Tales (4th) and IEW PAL Writing (2nd), WWE narrations for both
  • Spelling: continue Spell to Write and Read
  • Math: Saxon (after much debate over Saxon vs. MM, I decided to continue with Saxon; I did, however, buy a Zaccaro book - :001_wub: )
  • Science: Science in the Beginning by Jay Wile
  • History/Bible: Sonlight, Core B/C (!!!)

I think that's it? I had purchased MFW CtG and just never had a peace about it. I was so completely overwhelmed every time I opened that TM and was dreading getting started. I just sold and sent it off yesterday and purchased the missing books I needed for the Sonlight Core. I am SOOO excited to start this.

My two things I want to focus on this next year:

• Do a lot of supplemental math. We have a TON of games and resources and I want to utilize them. This year is not so much a facts memorizing year for us (I like to push that in 3rd) so I want to really focus on enjoying the math this year a la Miquon, RightStart games, challenging word problems, Kitchen Table Math, and Zaccaro.
  • Reading and then writing about it with my 4th grader DS. While I did purchase an IEW theme book, I'd really like to start utilizing IEW the way it's intended - writing about what you are learning about. He now has a little IEW experience under his belt, and I can foresee us working on this, especially second semester. I am excited to introduce DD to IEW via the PAL book.

1st

-----

FIAR with notebooking

WWE

AAS

Bravewriter Jot it Down

Shakespeare and poetry unit

Living math (my goal is to ditch math curricula for a full year and play with math every day instead)

BFSU

TOPS Lentil Science

Exploratopia tinkering

Nature studies

SOTW

Canada My Country

Home Art Studio

Art and Music appreciation/history (putting this together myself)

Song School Latin

And reading! Reading aloud, reading silently, reading outside, reading in a fort, reading at the beach, reading way past bedtime, reading to his brother, reading in the dark with a flashlight, just reading.

I'm not going to change my siggie, as we school year round and add in new things as we finish the old.  This summer and next year we are going to focus on writing.

Fifth Grade:  

Language Arts: AAS 6/7, ELTL 4, CAP W&R 1-3, copybook, vintage writing

Math: MEP 5/6, BA as it comes out, LOF Fractions/Decimals & Percents, plus other games and workbooks I have hanging around.  Possibly start Jousting Armadillos partway through the year, but if MEP works out we might be able to hold off until the next school year.  (DD does wonderfully working problems in her head, but we will be working on organizing her thoughts and putting them down on paper in a coherent manner.)

History: Connecting with History: Ancients, possibly add in a few OUP books

Science: Harcourt Science Grade 6

Faith Formation: Old Testament with history, St. Joseph Baltimore Catechism No. 2, saint stories, possibly study one of the gospels in depth

Latin: Visual Latin 1  & Lingua Latina

Spanish: Getting Started with Spanish plus reading simple books in Spanish

Third Grade:

Language Arts: AAS 2/3, ELTL 1/2, continued reading practice with me, With Pencil and Pen

Math: MEP 2/3 or Singapore PM, RightStart games

History: Connecting with History: Ancients

Science: Harcourt Science Grade 4

Faith Formation: Old Testament with history, St. Joseph Baltimore Catechism No. 1, saint stories

Latin & Spanish: informal songs, prayers, books, etc.

First Grade:

Language Arts: AAS 1/2, OPGTR/reading with me, copywork

Math: MEP 1/2 plus RS games

History: Connecting with History: Ancients

Science: tag along with 3rd grader or A Mind in the Light Grade 1

Faith Formation: Old Testament with history, St. Joseph First Communion Catechism, saint stories, plus a few other books

Poetry, Picture Study, Literature: A Mind in the Light Grade 1

Preschool:

Language Arts: beginning writing (maybe HWT pre-K), pre-reading/pre-spelling games

Math: MEP Reception

Faith Formation: read through a children's Bible

Other: What Your Preschooler Needs to Know

I hope ours is official as we started on Monday!  Here's what we're doing:

1st Grade

Writing: WWE 1

Grammar: FLL 1

Spelling: AAS Finish 1, start 2

Reading: OPGTR (until we finish, which should be soonish)

Math: Saxon 1

Pre-K

Reading: OPGTR and HOP app

Math: Miquon and Essential Math

Handwriting: HWT PreK

Together

Science: BFSU and other science resources I have (science museum, My Body, butterfly kit, various apps and documentaries, Magic Schoolbus)

History: SOTW- This is unofficial, but they listen to 1 and 2 all the way through once every few weeks or so at bedtime.  Also Liberty's Kids and the CC Timeline.

Memorization: List and system of my own making

Moving Beyond the Page has some individual units for that age and earth science that could "beef up" RSO without being terribly overwhelming (as long as you didn't get a full year of their science)

I'll look into that. I've sometimes thought about using MBTP, but I never really could wrap my mind around it. (All the various parts).

I could just go with a typical textbook approach. I've thought about Holt. 

What have you researched and what are your likes/dislikes? I'll only have a 5th grader starting with logic so we're just following WTM rec's for 5th grade.

Well to be honest we're a tad bored with the puzzle aspect of Building Thinking Skills. My ds just blows through these and then gets bored with them. I'm not a big fan of the CTP workbooks. 

Most of the WTM recs are not as secular as I would like them to be, for my uses. I'm not interested in using material from CAP or MP.

I like the Matthew Lipman books, but the TM are a bit much. Much in terms of money and just sheer bulk. 

I looked into the RPF books, but they seemed light to me.

<shrug>

I have figured out what to order, but I need to wait a few weeks.  I have been working on clearing space for the new books. 

9th Grade:

MFW Ancient History and Literature

Algebra I

Apologia  Biology

German II

Intro to Logic

Health

Boys together:

MFW 1850-Modern

Hey, Andrew! Teach me some Greek

6th Grade:

Abeka Basic Math

So You Really Want to Learn English Book 1

Apple and Pears - finish book C, start book D

4th Grade:

Abeka Math 4th grade

Junior English Book 2

Apple and Pears B

Cursive Connections

Dancing Bears - finish Fast Start

I handed in our school orders last week.  Yay!  It's so nice to to not have to worry about it anymore.

So, for 5th we are doing:

BookShark 4 with TT 5

There, that was short and sweet.  :001_smile:

We will also be doing BF's History of the Horse, and we probably will do some Winston Grammar (since I have no idea what BkSk LA is like). 

I need to update my Siggy but here's what we have going.

6.5 yo DD/1st Grade

Finish AAR 2/AAR 3

AAS 1&2

Finish HOD Emerging Readers and move to level 2 readers

HWOT 1st/KWOT

CLE Math 100 (switching from Singapore)

HOD Beyond Little Hearts (we are finishing Little Hearts this summer)

Guest Hollow Little Otter Anatomy (for fun as we have time)

Telling God's Story Year 1

Science in the Beginning (at co-op)

4.5 yo DD/K4

MFW K (we are in Unit 4 right now)

HWOT pK/KWOT

Singapore Essentials K

Telling God's Story Year 1

Guest Hollow Anatomy

Start AAR 1 as she becomes ready

Trying to decide whether to use MFW 1st or just use Picture book activities until fall 2015 (probably the latter)

all three kids: 

AO Y1, minus their history selections 

DIY Early American History, using picture books

CM style LA with copywork and narration across the curriculum 

co-op class on the solar system and colonial America (yay for the US history tie-in!)

oldest son:

AAR/AAS

MEP

HWT

twins:

CM style spelling OR continue with Spalding (this is my only remaining question mark)

MIF

Please type it?!?  :coolgleamA:

Ah well, since somebody is interested in it...

I wrote a novel of my plan for 6th, 4th, and 2nd.  My apologies if it is incomprehensible.

Also--This is not nearly so long as it looks.  Many of the items listed are very short and only once per week.  Please don't throw tomatoes!

Math—

Horizons

CWP

English—

R&S English

3rd grade and up—IEW Fix It (editing, cursive, and dictionary practice)

Writing—

IEW (either SWI or SICC depending on child--only half of the program)

Alternating with paragraph/other writing program:

6th—School Composition (Maxwell 1902)

4th—Composition: Models and Exercises (First Course) (Wariner)

2nd—Super Sentences and Perfect Paragraphs (Scholastic)

2nd—Cursive practice (HWOT)

Spelling—

R&S Spelling

Spelling Power (mostly just practice the lists)

2nd only—Apples and Pears

Literature—(read aloud and silent reading)

Lists from Core Knowledge K-8 Sequence and VP

Journeys Through Bookland (at least one volume)

Literary Analysis/Reading Comprehension—

Book Reports (3 or 4 per year)

Daily Reading Comprehension (Evan Moor)

6th only—Figuratively Speaking

Vocabulary—

6th—Word Wealth Junior (1/3 of book)

4th, 2nd—Vocabulary Workshop

Science—

BJU Science (using online videos for 6th)

Studies Weekly Science

Studies Weekly Health

2nd—BFSU volume 1

4th, 2nd—3 science lapbooks

World History—

6th—OUP World in Ancient Times (Near Eastern, Greece, Rome)

Plus textbook (McGraw Hill)—Egypt, India, China, Islamic, Americas

Plus Middle Ages reading:    

Medieval Days and Ways

Rats, Bulls, and Flying Machines

4th, 2nd—CHOW,

Plus 1 or 2 lapbooks

American History—

6th—Studies Weekly (5th grade New Hampshire)

4th, 2nd—A First Book in American History (Eggleston)

Plus 1 or 2 lapbooks

Civics—

4th, 2nd —Studies Weekly Social Studies

4th, 2nd—one civics lapbook

6th—iCivics (I looooooove this)

6th—Why America Is Free (Hamburger)

Geography—

Maps, Charts and Graphs workbook

Plus:

6th, 4th—Discovery World of Geography workbook

2nd—Complete Book of Maps and Geography workbook

Logic—

6th—Fallacy Detective

4th—Mind Benders, Balance Benders (CTC)

2nd—Building Thinking Skills (CTC)

German—

Duolingo

Planetino

Memory Work—

CC

IEW Poetry

Misc other

Art—

Atelier

How Great Thou Art (Homeschool drawing curriculum DVDs)

6th, 4th—A Child’s History of Art (Painting)

Music—

The Classical Kids Collection CDs (vol. 1, 2, and Christmas)

Tin whistle with CC  (Don’t laugh—this is the only instrument my kids will practice)

Public Speaking—

CC

6th—Speech camp and (maybe) club

Computer/Keyboarding skills—

e-learningforkids.org (free)

Type final drafts 

Ah well, since somebody is interested in it...

I wrote a novel of my plan for 6th, 4th, and 2nd.  My apologies if it is incomprehensible.

Also--This is not nearly so long as it looks.  Many of the items listed are very short and only once per week.  Please don't throw tomatoes!

Math—

Horizons

CWP

English—

R&S English

3rd grade and up—IEW Fix It (editing, cursive, and dictionary practice)

Writing—

IEW (either SWI or SICC depending on child--only half of the program)

Alternating with paragraph/other writing program:

6th—School Composition (Maxwell 1902)

4th—Composition: Models and Exercises (First Course) (Wariner)

2nd—Super Sentences and Perfect Paragraphs (Scholastic)

2nd—Cursive practice (HWOT)

Spelling—

R&S Spelling

Spelling Power (mostly just practice the lists)

2nd only—Apples and Pears

Literature—(read aloud and silent reading)

Lists from Core Knowledge K-8 Sequence and VP

Journeys Through Bookland (at least one volume)

Literary Analysis/Reading Comprehension—

Book Reports (3 or 4 per year)

Daily Reading Comprehension (Evan Moor)

6th only—Figuratively Speaking

Vocabulary—

6th—Word Wealth Junior (1/3 of book)

4th, 2nd—Vocabulary Workshop

Science—

BJU Science (using online videos for 6th)

Studies Weekly Science

Studies Weekly Health

2nd—BFSU volume 1

4th, 2nd—3 science lapbooks

World History—

6th—OUP World in Ancient Times (Near Eastern, Greece, Rome)

Plus textbook (McGraw Hill)—Egypt, India, China, Islamic, Americas

Plus Middle Ages reading:    

Medieval Days and Ways

Rats, Bulls, and Flying Machines

4th, 2nd—CHOW,

Plus 1 or 2 lapbooks

American History—

6th—Studies Weekly (5th grade New Hampshire)

4th, 2nd—A First Book in American History (Eggleston)

Plus 1 or 2 lapbooks

Civics—

4th, 2nd —Studies Weekly Social Studies

4th, 2nd—one civics lapbook

6th—iCivics (I looooooove this)

6th—Why America Is Free (Hamburger)

Geography—

Maps, Charts and Graphs workbook

Plus:

6th, 4th—Discovery World of Geography workbook

2nd—Complete Book of Maps and Geography workbook

Logic—

6th—Fallacy Detective

4th—Mind Benders, Balance Benders (CTC)

2nd—Building Thinking Skills (CTC)

German—

Duolingo

Planetino

Memory Work—

CC

IEW Poetry

Misc other

Art—

Atelier

How Great Thou Art (Homeschool drawing curriculum DVDs)

6th, 4th—A Child’s History of Art (Painting)

Music—

The Classical Kids Collection CDs (vol. 1, 2, and Christmas)

Tin whistle with CC  (Don’t laugh—this is the only instrument my kids will practice)

Public Speaking—

CC

6th—Speech camp and (maybe) club

Computer/Keyboarding skills—

e-learningforkids.org (free)

Type final drafts 

Mrs. Twain,

Thank-you. ;) I don't know how you pull this off. I am amazed ….. 

iCivics looks great! I'm playing with it this weekend ….. 

Almost done! So far I have:

Daughter (second grade):

Math: Horizons 2

Reading: Memoria Press lit guides

Grammar: FLL2

Writing: WWE2

Spelling: AAS2

Son (Kindergarten):

Reading: OPGTR

Math: Horizons K

FIAR

Together:

elemental science: biology

SOTW: ancients

Song School Latin 1

Bible Study (not sure which curriculum)

Co-op

art & drama

Extras:

Dd(6): Ballet, jazz & gymnastics

DS (5): Karate, swim lessons, & baseball

Mrs. Twain,

Thank-you. ;) I don't know how you pull this off. I am amazed ….. 

iCivics looks great! I'm playing with it this weekend ….. 

I'll tell you what I do.

Math

English

(break)

Spelling Power

Writing 

(lunch and break)

Science

(break)

Last section:

History (1st half of the year world, 2nd half of the year American)

Lapbook--one piece only (for 2nd, 4th)

Workbooks (5 for each child as listed above--reading comprehension, vocabulary, R&S Spelling, etc.)

Plus One Special:

Mon--Geography

Tues--Studies weekly science

Wed--Studies weekly social studies

Thurs--Art or music (or logic for 6th grader)

non-CC Fri--Art and music 

Our school is from 8 am - 3 p.m. with a bunch of breaks.

On CC Fridays (24), we only do CC.

After school in the evening or in the car we practice CC memory work and CC presentations.

I updated my sig a few days ago with our fall plans. The 7th grader is the one that is a little harder to figure out, because he is weak in some areas and I am forever working on filling gaps and boosting skills. I have a little more printing & filing to do, and I need to coordinate Figuratively Speaking with Lightning Lit 7, but I am pleased with how things are taking shape. The 1st grader is easy, because he is pretty strong across the board. I'm placing my orders the beginning of July so I don't even have to think of it while we're moving in August.

ETA: I'm just going to list it out after all.

7th grade:

LA:

Lightning Literature 7 ... not sure how much of the writing we will do because he needs pretty explicit instruction. Maybe we'll do some of the assignments together or orally. I have the novels on audiobook so we can speed things up and focus on the literary lessons.

Figuratively Speaking - I coordinated the lessons with LL, so that is an easy supplement.

Other Lit - TCR guides for Hoot, The Egypt Game, The Giver, The Black Pearl, The Incredible Journey, Maniac Magee, On My Honor

CAP W&R Narrative 1 & 2 - assuming we finish Fable this summer and it is going well.

Essentials in Writing 7? - not totally decided on this, but I'm pretty sure we'll at least try it out. I don't want to do 2 writing programs so I am withholding a decision until we see how W&R is going. This kid might need straight-up PS-style writing a lot more than he needs a progym program.

Spelling - Logic of English, I guess, but maybe just Building Spelling Skills several years behind.

Math:

Holt Middle School Math, Course 2. That was easy. We did Course 1 this year and it was pretty smooth.

Math Minutes 7

70 Must-Know Word Problems 6

Science:

K12 Life Science (regular) - I need something that is easy to get done regularly and independently, but I wish they had a book so it would be easier for me to help.

History:

K12 World History B (Human Odyssey 2). Like science, he can do this regularly and independently.

PE:

Homeschool PE at a local gym

1st Grade (well, first grade on paper, but it's more of a straight 2nd grade program)

LA

Literature - TCR lit guides with buddy reading as necessary for Bunnicula, Mr. Popper's Penguins, Matilda, The Tale of Despereaux, The Mouse and the Motorcycle, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Also lots of read alouds.

Grammar - McGraw Hill Treasures 2. I combined the grammar transparencies, grammar pages and selected practice pages to make a nice LA program.

Spelling - building Spelling Skills 2 & 3

Writing - Write About Me, Write About My World, Just Write ...

Math

Math in Focus 2

Horizons 2

Science

McGraw-Hill Science 2 with BrainPop Jr. videos, activities, and quizzes, as well as other online animations and extra experiements

Health

Harcourt Health 2 - we're actually doing this over the summer to lighten our load in the fall. It aligns really well with BrainPop Jr.

History

Adventures in America - at the minimum we will do the reading, copywork, and dictation but not the state study. I have the supplemental reading lined up but I'm more interested in doing the Lit for LA so it will be the first to go.

PE:

Swimming lessons, homeschool PE

Extras I probably won't get done

Spanish - Getting Started with Spanish, various little supplements

Art - Usborne Art Activity Cards, learn about the artist, copy the technique ...

I'll tell you what I do.

Math

English

(break)

Spelling Power

Writing

(lunch and break)

Science

(break)

Last section:

Workbooks (5 for each child as listed above--reading comprehension, vocabulary, R&S Spelling, etc.)

Plus One Special:

Mon--Geography

After school in the evening or in the car we practice CC memory work and CC presentations.

Very inspiring for me, I love the schedule, particularly the fact that you have the breaks in there .

7th Grade!!

History -Story of US books 1-5ish with tests, videos, portfolio, etc...

English:

- Writing - US history DBQs, Sentence composing

- Grammar - Rules of the game

- Literature - Glencoe American Lit (Readers choice)

Geography - McHenry Mapping the World

French - Galore Park

Math - Foerster Algebra

Science - Story of Science Einstein, then??

Ok, I'm really going to try to be finished.

1st grade:

Language Arts:  LoE Essentials (if/when this fails, Apples and Pears, I own LoE so I really want it to work), HWoT, Bravewriter

Math: Miquon and Math in Focus (alternating days)

Science: Tagging along for Nancy Larson Science 3 and 4

Lots of practice reading and lots of read alouds

She hates SOTW, so library books to follow along with sisters SOTW

4th grade: (most of these are continuation) 

Beast Academy and when that runs out Upper Elementary Challenge Math

Nancy Larson 3 and 4

Writing and Rhetoric 2&3

HWoT cursive

Sequential Spelling

MCT Practice Island and Building Poems

Caught Ya, Grammar with a Giggle for mechanics

SOTW 3

Lots and lots of reading and read alouds

That almost looks like a plan, right? The only sad part is that there's not much to buy and books on the porch are so much fun!

ETA: I just ordered Apples and Pears, so I guess I have already changed my  mind since posting this.   :)

Also, I forgot dance, music and soccer.

We've go it down mostly.

Third Grade:

FLL 3

CAP W&R and WWE3

WRTR

Beast Academy 3D-4B/C

Prima Latina?

Piano Lessons

Drama

First Grade:

FLL 1/2

WRTR

WWE 1

SM 2b, Beast Academy 3a/b

Swim Team

Kindergarten:

Funnix

Miquon

Figure Skating

PreK:

What Your Preschooler Needs to Know and workbook

Together (mostly just the older two):

SOTW 3

Ellen McHenry's The Elements and Chemistry as outlined in WTM

HAS K

All right.  I need it to be official, so I'll play:

6th:

Math: CLE 6

Grammar: R&S 5 (last 1/2)

Spelling: R&S 6

Writing: CM assignments with some Writing Strands thrown in

History: Books from HOD CTC with written narrations and book of centuries

Geography: still not completely settled

Literature: read alouds with family as well as an independent list

Commonplace Book

Bible: Awana

Piano

Band

Ballet

Rosetta Stone French

4th:

Math: CLE 4

Grammar: R&S 3 (last 1/2)

Spelling: R&S 4

Handwriting: Pentime 4

Writing: CM assignments, some Writing Strands

History: CLP A Child's Story of America with added reading

Geography: not sure yet

Literature: read alouds with family and independent list 

Bible: Awana 

Music Class

Piano

1st:

Abeka Phonics 1

CLE math 1

Pentime

family subjects and lots of books

Awana

Music Class

Together:

Science in the Beginning

Poetry (HOD CTC with watercolor painting)

Memory Work list (still working on)

Literature read alouds

Bible with Daddy

SCM picture portfolios

English from the Roots Up

Ehem! (clears throat). Weeellll......

I don't sit still long. Never. Just can't do it. I've tried and it just doesn't work for me. I have asked my dd what she wants to DROP...."Nothing! I love it all!" So there you have it. 4th grade:

Fairly concrete:

~~Study Time Math

~~LLATL Orange (with an occasional page from CTGE. I am happy with this one, but it is just not us. I couldn't drop LLATL. I am more of a Beechick/Mason fan when it comes to LA.)

~~Pentime

ALways flip flopping:

~~Finishing up alternating HOD Bigger and Portraits of American Girlhood (matching time periods).

~~Occasionally adding other units from BYFIAR and maybe Prairie Primer.

~~On my days off of work we have big science days with Christian Kids Explore Earth and Space (FUN!)

~~When done with Bigger/POAG we will be moving on to HOD Preparing. I REALLY hope to stick with this one without much swapping up. I think I *may* be able to do that as it has a lot of Bible history which is my hearts desire. 

Someone above said she didn't know why this is so hard. I do. There is too much good stuff to choose from! 

I would probably do better with something like KONOS, since like FIAR, the flavor of the units is always changing. BUT! That is another purchase, and I don't need one more thing. Maybe I aught to type that 1 hundred times!

I'll tell you what I do.

Math

English

(break)

Spelling Power

Writing 

(lunch and break)

Science

(break)

Last section:

Plus One Special:

Mon--Geography

How do you get writing done with 3 students in one schedule block? This is impossible here and no matter what I've tried it's a fail. Same with Rod & Staff English. It's teacher intensive for me but maybe I've missed something … 

Great schedule! ;) 

I need to update mine for summer, as we will be doing different things in July/August.

Summer:

1st:

Life of Fred Catterpillars

Readers/Summer Reading Program, Phonics Pathways w/ sister, reteaching phonics w/o sight words

Finish HWOT K (did in private school but has a few pages missing)

Pre-K:

Finish School Zone workbooks

Phonics Pathways

Reading to her lots

-----------------------------------------

Fall:

1st:

Horizons Math 1

Phonics Pathways continuation

HWOT Grade 1

FLL

SOTW 1 The Ancients

Science in the Beginning

Maptrek? Still need to find my Geography stuff, might just buy the cd although I'd prefer to make copies from a book

Co-ops/outside work: Gym, music, art, speech, possibly Spanish, soccer

Pre-K

Phonics Pathways continuation

HWOT Pre-K

Brain Quest book

Random Pre K/K books to keep her busy

Follow along in history and science

Co-ops/outside work: possibly Spanish, dance