Menu

I feel guilty spending money

(I added an update, of sorts, in post 37)

I've worked out a plan for 10 yo DD for next year.  I think it's a good plan.  But, I'm dying over the cost of the some of the components.  About $100-125 for history (choke), about $125 for Logic of English TM and student workbook (sob), $120 for TT5 (groan)... etc.

I realize "expensive" is relative, but you're just going to have to take my word for it that this is painful for us.  It's possible I'll find some of this stuff used, and at a cheap enough price to make it worthwhile.  But at the end of the day, everything I want is going to cost $500.  

This wouldn't be such a big deal except:  (1) DH's car needs repairs, (2) Need to get my car smogged and registered in July, (3) vacation coming up, (4) kid birthday to save up for.... and so on.  and I may need to dip into savings to cover some of the car stuff.  

I just really, really hate spending lots of money all at once and am kind of feeling sorry for myself right now.  Can anyone commiserate?   

Yes.  Absolutely.  Cost can kind of leave you feeling sick inside.   :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

But are you absolutely certain that this is the only path that will work?  There are several awesome threads regarding really amazing free or low cost resources.  And when I have put my mind to it I have found some great used resources at Amazon and Abe books and through local book stores, garage sales, and curriculum swaps in other cities.

Maybe you could just look one more time at other options before you commit?  

I feel your pain.  I have a few things I was hoping to purchase with our tax refund, but now it looks like that'll go straight to a new roof (since this one is leaking badly AND has caused a small sag in our kitchen floor...  I don't even want to know how much the floor will cost to fix.)

We also have 2 kid birthdays this month... going to try to find something low-cost to do to celebrate.  Maybe a cooking project or lunch out/kid's choice.

I'll probably be scouring the shelves to find items to sell so I can make my last-minute purchases.

I feel you. I've been dragging my feet on this simply because I don't want to spend the money. I however don't try to do it all at once. I'm starting now for what we will be doing beginning in September. I just bite a chunk off each month. Is that an option for you? I realize in some cases I'm taking a hit on tax and shipping by not purchasing all at once but it's really not doable for me to drop it in one go so I just accept it.

I had to move to a monthly budget allottment because the all-at-once was too painful.

I agree with the pp about trying to find a way to space things out. We have been known to take a month "reviewing" in MEP or "easing" into a schedule of doing something because I needed a month to get the money together to buy more components.

Oh my, yes. I couldn't even begin to afford what you have listed. My budget is a tiny fraction of that, and it still makes me want to cry into my pillow when I send off my order. 

We have a similar list of expenses. My van is dying, D' s car needs work, I need glasses, Aries and Gem need medical care, and we all need a dentist. The roof is leaking, the bathroom has no flooring, we need a plumber...sob. 

I feel your pain. :( I have items that "will" work, but not as good as others. My son would love BA, but I can't convince my dh that it is worth over 100 dollars just for one kid's math. I would love to get online courses for my rising 7th grader, but it is not even possible.

Our van is making funny noises, my mil is moving here, with little money, and we have to help her get into a place ($), and my daughter just got braces. I am kinda dreading next year, only because I am going to have to use curriculum that will work, but isn't the best fit for my kids. I have found a few deals on amazon that will make it a little better, though.

On another note, God has been extremely good to our family. We have a roof over our heads, our health, salvation, and love of family. That's my positive side.

Feeling the pain too :(

My last order cost about $50 POSTAGE, as unfortunately there are some good resources that have to be sourced from the US.

Spreading out the cost as much as possible helps a lot, of course. But don't buy too far in advance either; I have had a program I thought was working great, thought I'd save a bit of postage by ordered the next few years' worth, and ended up ditching that program.

My car has a cracked windshield, headlights misaligned and engine badly needs a tune-up. I already replaced tires and got brake fixed (too unsafe to wait) but it probably needs over $1K spent, and it's not going to happen at the moment. 

I feel your pain.  I have a really hard time spending money, although DH doesn't usually mind.  In fact, I just bought a $14 set of bird cards to use with our Burgess Bird Book-based birding unit study we are doing this summer, and I am feeling guilty over that, even though I know my kids will love them.  DH has to constantly tell me that it's okay to spend some money!  I definitely factor cost into our curriculum and will not even look at things with a big price tag and prefer not to buy all at one time.   

Yep, I can relate too. I need a car as my motor and transmission are both giving out. I need a stove. We won't get either though because my income is only $800-1000 a month. That hardly pays the basics. Every time I have a few hundred saved up something takes it.  I have squirmed over hs purchases for months before taking the plunge. But what I do is what the ladies above mention....space it out. AND buy used when possible. I shop around for a long time to find good deals. Thankfully my dd is almost to the age where she will be able to use some of the old school material I have saved from my olders. That will help considerably. 

Yeah, I'm going to have to spread things out.  I'm having a wee little pity party about that <pours a glass of whine>.  My hope was to buy everything this summer and read it, study it and feel totally prepared for the new school year.  Now I feel like it's just going to be another "fly by the seat of my pants" year.  Sheesh.  My pity party is annoying me.   Knock it off, Eeyore!  So, the plans have a few hiccups in them.  Roll with it, baby :)

I think TT5 can wait until October, because she's working through the summer to finish 4 and won't be finished until Sept./Oct.  I can buy just the first unit for history ($30), Science in the Beginning ($40) and as for LOE.....

I love it.  I have the first ten lessons and have tried them with older DD (who hates to read and thinks she can't spell) and they were amazing for her.  It's so well laid out and easy to teach. (Funny side story:  She was discouraged and upset with how her dance class was going and she wrote a sign for her room that said, "Dance class sucks."  Except she originally wrote "suks" and then noticed it didn't look right and squeezed the c in between the u and k.  Now, setting aside the fact that I really dislike her using that word, I thought it was hilarious that she took what she'd learned in her spelling lesson a few days before to make her rant correct.)

I need to just suck it up and sell some stuff.  I dislike selling.  It's such a pain.   (Oh well.  Do it anyway.)

It is deeply gratifying to know that I'm not alone in this.   :)

I hear ya. I found our science, writing & history curriculum for next year used, so I feel pretty good about that. But I still need to buy level B of LOE (for 2) and Right Start math (also level B) and that's going to be fairly expensive. I'd greatly prefer the 2nd edition RS & I haven't seen any used versions for sale.

I look at it this way: before homeschooling, I paid $350/month for half-day Montessori preschool/kindergarten for my oldest. If both of my children had stayed at that school we'd now be on the hook for upwards of $1,400/month (and that's for us living in an area where private schools are relatively inexpensive compared to many parts of the country.) So, by comparison, $500 of materials that will last a good part of the year is a bargain! 

That said, I do commiserate with having a bunch of expenses at once, and we're in the same boat. I find that it helps to spread out the purchases: math with this paycheck, I'll hold off and buy the next level of spelling with the next paycheck, etc. 

Ftr, I feel guilty about ALL spending, not just curriculum. But it's a big chunk all at once, and that hurts.

Last year, I tried breaking it up, buying as we went, and that didn't work. There was always something more pressing, more urgent, so we made do without for much too long.

Better to do it quick, like a bandaid. When the boxes come, it's such a relief to have everything. It's worth the anxiety over choosing and paying.

My guilt comes when I spend the money and then hate the materials.  I have done that way too many times.  Luckily I am getting better at evaluating before I buy.  But I still have items on my shelves that I keep thinking might work......someday. 

http://www.amazon.com/Teaching-Textbooks-Math-Rom-sets/dp/B005H7NQZM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1402068441&sr=8-2&keywords=teaching+textbooks+5

Not sure if this is what you need...but it is 41.99 used. A bit of saving there.

What history are you using? I've been able to save a bit by looking for used as often as possible. I really only buy consumable workbooks new. 

Most of my homeschooling expenses now go to my oldest. I'm trying really hard to have materials that I can use again with my younger children.

I am a total cheapskate, so I hate spending full price for anything. My good friend just bought tt5 used for $75 shipped - you should join some Facebook homeschool curriculum sale groups. I get everything I can used, and I try to get things that I can reuse with my other kiddo. That softens the blow of spending money a little.

I hear you, I sell stuff on eBay, and my used curriculum on this site

And other homeschool used curriculum sites and that money in my paypal goes directly to next years books. I don't buy many new things. I'm always searching for used curriculum and rarely buy anything new.

I am a total cheapskate, so I hate spending full price for anything. My good friend just bought tt5 used for $75 shipped - you should join some Facebook homeschool curriculum sale groups. I get everything I can used, and I try to get things that I can reuse with my other kiddo. That softens the blow of spending money a little.

Wait. There's FB homeschool curriculum sale groups???

We've been in financial crisis for about 10 years so I know what you mean :P

Tons & tons of cheap curriculum here:

https://www.varagesale.com/best-homeschool-swap-usa/feed

And here:

http://www.usedhomeschoolbooks.com

This one has been a lifesaver for us recently. They are probably the cheapest I've found so far.

http://www.homeschoolbooksforless.com

Also, join Paperback Swap! I get 3/4 of our curriculum there. Credits can be purchased in the forum for $2 each which is cheaper than shipping on 99.9% of homeschool curriculum sites :)

Then there is always free:

http://www.thebooksamaritan.com/

I look at it this way. I don't know about american schools but schools aren't always cheap. if the kids went to school we would have to pay for

Books

Stationary

Uniforms/clothes for school

Backpacks, lunchboxes, etc

Bus costs

Excursions

School camp

School photos

Dances/discos

School fundraisers

Sports and swimming days and other events

Convenience lunchbox foods

And there's probably more I'm not considering like teachers gifts and bring from home art/science supplies.

When I compared what I spend, with what many here would consider a generous homeschooling budget, against what my step mum spends on her kids in school, it's actually about equal in our case. Of course numbers vary, but remembering that school isn't free either helps a lot when I look at the costs of our plans and make purchases.

:grouphug:

Have you tried working through the things in my how to tutor page with a spelling focus? I have all the rules there, including the ck one.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/howtotutor.html

Link 5 is the rules, and link 4 is fairly idiot proof instructions.

Wow, there's so much information there.  I need to spend some quality time reading through those pages.  I could definitely see tweaking it and turning it into a LOE substitute.

The thing about LOE is that it holds your hand through the whole lesson and then, at the end, gives you a hug, a lollipop, and whispers "Good job, mom."  I'm sort of in love with it.  But, $90 for what would be 3 months of lessons... not so much.  

Wow, there's so much information there. I need to spend some quality time reading through those pages. I could definitely see tweaking it and turning it into a LOE substitute.

The thing about LOE is that it holds your hand through the whole lesson and then, at the end, gives you a hug, a lollipop, and whispers "Good job, mom." I'm sort of in love with it. But, $90 for what would be 3 months of lessons... not so much.

:grouphug:

If you just print out the things at the end of the page, #4 holds your hand, #11 is a checklist to keep you on track. You can print everything for $5. If you print it all out it makes more sense.

Then, you will have plenty of money for all the lollipops or chocolate you want!!

You can also add my phonics lesson 27 and then these Greek and Latin root resources, I like to use small enjoy life allergy free chocolate chips as bingo markers:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/LangLessons/greeklatinroots.html

Thanks, Elizabeth.  I'm going to study your web site this summer and see if I can adapt it to what we need. I'm feeling optimistic.

If you watch my spelling lessons, it explains everything!  The phonics lessons do the same but slower.  The spelling lessons are 2 hours total, the phonics lessons 10 hours total.  Most of my students gain a reading grade level or two after watching my phonics lessons.

I can name only one thing I have paid more than $50.00 for that I ever finished. High school Saxon math books are the only thing that was pricey that was worth it. And now adays there are used copies that cost a lot less.

I keep buying stuff, because I don't have self control and I horde and I love box day. But all this buying has accomplished NOTHING.

When someone bumped the Crisis LA thread, I checked the links and suggestions to see if anything needed to be updated and realized that what was there for free was better than what was on my shelves that I paid for.

This is my first year so I'm just trying everything out for the first time, but one thing I really wanted to buy but thought it was too expensive was LoE. It looks WONderful but it's SO expensive. Yes, you can reuse it for other kids, but I bought FLL, HWOT, and PP for $35 total and the only thing I'll have to re buy is HWOT. (I did also buy one of the HWOT teacher manuals just to have on hand but that will cover every year until we get to cursive.).

I felt that science was worth spending more on and that's what I spent the most on and it was the cost of those three books above.

Another thing is, as others have said, I had my son in private school half day kindergarten and the cost of my material, plus the co-op doesn't even come close to how much we paid to send him to school. Then we can afford to do fun things like extracurriculars as well.

And I looked for the cheapest possible way to buy all my books - Amazon, the local home school store, Ebay, and a used homeschool book sale were where most of my stuff came from.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so I'm playing around with a radical new idea:  use stuff I already own.  Some of this stuff was kind of expensive (for cheapo me) but never got used (Sonlight, and Oak Meadow 4, I'm looking at you....)

For history, one option is Sonlight D(?) (the first year of US History © 2007 or thereabouts, I think.  We're halfway through a hodge-podge overview of the Revolution, so I guess I could skip ahead to that part in the IG.  Is there a way to make Sonlight fun?  Having only read-alouds for history seems super-dry.  My kids like projects and variety (so does their mom). I do have a boatload of history themed Scholastic dollar e-books and some History Pockets.  I guess I could use SL loosely as a spine and pencil in the crafty/hands-on stuff.  Thank goodness our library ROCKS and can get me almost any book I want.

For 9 yo DD's language arts, I can use Oak Meadow 4's language arts pretty much as written.  I think it's creative, challenging and flexible enough to suit her quite well.

For 10 yo DD's language arts....  I don't know....   I guess I could pull the grammar from OM 4 for her. I think she'd like the use of color and absence of worksheets.  

OM4 has *way* too much writing for her, though.  Since I'm not buying history (hypothetically) that frees up money to buy Essentials in Writing ($50), if I decide to go that direction OR I could just continue with Write On ($0).  DD10's writing is an area of real concern for me.  I need to think about this one.

As for spelling, she needs something more rules-based for spelling.  I need spelling to be dirt easy to teach.  I'm a natural speller and find the rules confusing.  I love LOE and have a download with the first 10 lessons (Student book and TM, incl. all the word lists).  LOE works well for her, but getting the full program is $90.   I could analyze LOE's approach in the first 10 lessons and then see if I can repeat the teaching routine for the rest of the word lists.  There are also some good, free options online (Phonics Page!!) that I need to explore some more.

I already bought Science in the Beginning, because I puffy-heart-love it.  $40 well spent.  Can't wait to start.

Math:  10 yo DD will finish up TT4 in October/Nov.  That will cost anywhere from $70 to $120, depending if I can get a complete set used or not.  Either way, I'm not going to worry about it until Oct.  

As for 9 yo DD, I'm going to combine my DIY approach with some Scholastic ebooks and MM topic books I already own.  That will keep us going through the fall, at least.

OK, what am I forgetting?  Handwriting will just be reviewing the Steps4Kids cursive DVD we have (we all really like that DVD, btw) and then just practicing it.  Not too worried about it.

So, unless I'm forgetting something important, I think I can get away with shelling out anywhere from $0 to 140 for curriculum this summer, and then wait and buy the next TT level in the fall.  

As for spelling, she needs something more rules-based for spelling.  I need spelling to be dirt easy to teach.  I'm a natural speller and find the rules confusing.  I love LOE and have a download with the first 10 lessons (Student book and TM, incl. all the word lists).  LOE works well for her, but getting the full program is $90.   I could analyze LOE's approach in the first 10 lessons and then see if I can repeat the teaching routine for the rest of the word lists.  There are also some good, free options online (Phonics Page!!) that I need to explore some more.

Have you looked at R&S Spelling?  Many people say it is like a workbook form of AAS, which is similar to LOE.  I haven't used it, but I researched it a lot and that seems the consensus.  It is mostly independent and rules-based and cheap, so...it may work for what you are looking for.

Have you looked at R&S Spelling?  Many people say it is like a workbook form of AAS, which is similar to LOE.  I haven't used it, but I researched it a lot and that seems the consensus.  It is mostly independent and rules-based and cheap, so...it may work for what you are looking for.

I was going to suggest R&S Spelling.  I've tried most everything (Sequential Spelling, Spelling Workout, Spelling Power, Phonetic Zoo, LOE, and I'm sure some more that I'm forgetting), and R&S is by far hands down the easiest and most thorough.