Menu

Science in the Ancient World is out!!!

Slache

I just bought it at the SC convention this weekend!  It looks great and I can't wait to dive into it.   As for the supply list- I've just looked over what is required for the first 15 lessons and the only thing I don't have on hand in a hot pad and the large & small hard candies.    So nothing that will be to taxing to pick up on my next grocery store run.  

I am really pleased with the way it is written- the text is engaging and interesting without being as long and super detailed as Apologia.   I think it's going to be a great fit for us.

Do they sell through Amazon or just direct? Direct means very high postage for us.

Rainbow Resource and Christian Book should both carry it. They have the first set of books (Science in the Beginning). Are either of those cheaper for you?

I know it's listed as K-6, but what age do you all plan to use it for?  The sample looks great.

I'm using Science in the Beginning this year with my 6th, 4th, & K'er.  It's a smidge too easy for my 6th grader but perfect for the other 2.  My 4th grader specifically asked if we could do this same science series again next year, so I'm very glad that Ancient World is out for next year!  :)

I am really excited about this -- I've always wanted science that tied into history and included activities that "repeat" great experiments of the past (or at least do something similar).  From looking at the sample it seems there is quite a bit of that sort of activity. :hurray:

I'll be using it for 5th/2nd/K'er  next year.   I'll probably throw in extra topical library books for 5th grade DD...maybe I'll even finally get my act together and do a few lessons on related topics from BFSU vol 2 for added depth for her.  Maybe...I have an ongoing pipe dream of being able to pull of BFSU2 lessons, but haven't been successful for two years.  :lol:

I know it's listed as K-6, but what age do you all plan to use it for?  The sample looks great.

I plan to use it as a supplement to history rather than as a main science curriculum, therefore I would use parts of it beyond 6th as some light reading, and some fun experiments, to go along with our current history studies, but my kids would also have a formal human anatomy or other science course, so I wouldn't worry about not enough science. I think that qualifies as a run on sentence...

I've been wanting something like this to come out for a while and I hope this will work the way I want it to.

I *just* ordered Science in the Beginning this week (for this coming fall).

I'm not allowing myself to be excited about Science in the Ancient World until we get the first set in the mail! :D

I wish I had that kind of self control. I've been exited about certain curriculum since before I was pregnant and I've been collecting books since before I was married.

It looks good but the supplies list... :svengo: There would need to be a kit or something!

I've seen Apologia kits, so I'm sure there will be kits for this too.

I really liked the sample pages I was able to download from the site.  What age range are you all planning on using it for? 

I responded to this question in the first "section" of this thing but I doubt it will help you. :)

I plan to use it as a supplement to history rather than as a main science curriculum, therefore I would use parts of it beyond 6th as some light reading, and some fun experiments, to go along with our current history studies, but my kids would also have a formal human anatomy or other science course, so I wouldn't worry about not enough science. I think that qualifies as a run on sentence. :)

Me too! We are doing Life Science next year and now I can use parts of both of his books :D

It looks good but the supplies list... :svengo: There would need to be a kit or something!

This is my concern. I am considering ordering science in the beginning. I do not have a lot of extra money (either up front for school costs or throughout the year)- will the experiments be a deal breaker for me? We have not done science yet at all- help!

But every time I read the info on the book I'm sold :) lol

This is my concern. I am considering ordering science in the beginning. I do not have a lot of extra money (either up front for school costs or throughout the year)- will the experiments be a deal breaker for me? We have not done science yet at all- help!

But every time I read the info on the book I'm sold :) lol

Here is the lab supply list; you should have most of these items in your house already.

Anyone find a great blog/website of someone who is posting their journey through Science in the Beginning? I would love to see notebook pages, outside reading books, and addtional topics for each week/section. I know some amazing, superhuman homeschool mama has done it? Anyone know? For previous posts - I'm using Science in the Beginning from now until October and then we will start Ancients to go with history. I will have 2 4th graders and a 4 year old. Looking forward to it!

Anyone find a great blog/website of someone who is posting their journey through Science in the Beginning? I would love to see notebook pages, outside reading books, and addtional topics for each week/section. I know some amazing, superhuman homeschool mama has done it? Anyone know? For previous posts - I'm using Science in the Beginning from now until October and then we will start Ancients to go with history. I will have 2 4th graders and a 4 year old. Looking forward to it!

No, but Dr. Wile has some youtube videos of a few of his experiments:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrygOyoKCeFYcqWglwTPmdw/feed

I didn't add any books to this, though you certainly could. I'd show you notebook pages, but they're not pretty at all. :lol: I do not have artists. :tongue_smilie:

The experiments are super simple. I literally look at the book at the start of the lesson, figure out what supplies we need, gather them up, and do it. It's that easy. And I'm one that hates experiments and such. But these are usually very simple items needed. They're truly household items in most cases (except the soda bottle for us, but I just run to Dollar General and get the cheapest soda in a clear bottle and dump out the contents). We used the same bottle for the "Day 1" experiments requiring a bottle. In one lesson, you cut a hole in the side, and then a few lessons later you use a rectangle of the bottle, so I just cut it from the opposite side. No big deal.

So how would this coincide with SOTW 1? Would I want to get Science in the Beginning or Science in the Ancient World? They both look great!

And for those of you at the G'ville convention, :seeya: I was there and I'm going to TTD tomorrow! I was pretty clueless on curriculum at that point though so now I'm going in armed with way more information. I just hope I have time to check out the seminars AND walk the floor!

Rainbow Resource and Christian Book should both carry it. They have the first set of books (Science in the Beginning). Are either of those cheaper for you?

From what I have heard rainbow resources isn't but I will look at christian book. Thanks.

So how would this coincide with SOTW 1? Would I want to get Science in the Beginning or Science in the Ancient World? They both look great!

And for those of you at the G'ville convention, :seeya: I was there and I'm going to TTD tomorrow! I was pretty clueless on curriculum at that point though so now I'm going in armed with way more information. I just hope I have time to check out the seminars AND walk the floor!

Ooooooh, get both. It's hard to resist. (Guilty party here).

So I tried to find this at the convention today and Apologia didn't know anything about it...so it's actually not by Apologia, it's just by the author of some of the books, correct?

Yes, Dr. Jay left Apologia a while back. They still use and sell the books he wrote when he was at Apologia. 

Science in the Ancient World covers Thales to da Vinci, so 624 BC to 1519, but SOTW I ends in 476, so I guess you would do Science in the Beginning and start Science in the Ancient World next year. I think I have all that right.

I caved. I ordered both the books. Looking forward to starting. Does it matter which is done first?

I imagine not. Science in the beginning doesn't fit in with the rest of the series in that it doesn't cover a time period.

I just ordered science in the ancient world to use alongside sotw2 next year. It will go back a bit to some of the things from the time periods covered in sotw1 but that is ok. It goes all the way to da vinci so I think it will go well with sotw2.

Science in the Ancient World covers Thales to da Vinci, so 624 BC to 1519, but SOTW I ends in 476, so I guess you would do Science in the Beginning and start Science in the Ancient World next year. I think I have all that right.

I imagine not. Science in the beginning doesn't fit in with the rest of the series in that it doesn't cover a time period.

Dr. Jay said that it doesn't matter which one you use first, but some concepts that were taught in the first book ARE in the second. If you have not used the first book, you should be prepared to discuss some things NOT taught in the book. Not big concepts, but nevertheless he does assume you've had the basics the first book taught. 

Dr. Jay said that it doesn't matter which one you use first, but some concepts that were taught in the first book ARE in the second. If you have not used the first book, you should be prepared to discuss some things NOT taught in the book. Not big concepts, but nevertheless he does assume you've had the basics the first book taught.

Ahhh. That's good to know. Thankyou :)