Menu

Low parent involvement elementary curriculum?

tld

What is good and what would you suggest?  We have a bunch of people in our community pulling their kids out of school next year due to the implementation of Common Core.  Some are looking for curriculums that require very little parental involvement.  What would you recommend?

There are certainly some 'open and go' type curriculum resources around (there are a few old threads, I think, if you search) which apparently reduce a lot of the need for parental planning and preparation. But I reckon that if the kids are elementary school aged, most of them will need a reasonable amount of parent involvement to implement their programme, as kids that age generally aren't ready to be terribly independent in their studies. Not trying to be discouraging, but it's probably a bit unrealistic for parents to expect that they can home school with  'very little involvement'.

What is good and what would you suggest?  We have a bunch of people in our community pulling their kids out of school next year due to the implementation of Common Core.  Some are looking for curriculums that require very little parental involvement.  What would you recommend?

I would recommend that they learn to teach, because that's what's required to get children off to good start in their academic career. If they can't or won't dedicate the time and effort, then I would recommend that they pool resources with other likeminded parents and work out an alternative education arrangement of some kind.

I am following CC all the time. I've joined a few FB groups as a hs'er helping ps parents transition to homeschooling. So I definitely don't mean to sound unsympathetic. I am VERY sympathetic. But facts are facts -- elementary-aged children need dedicated educators.

:(

Prior to complete reading fluency, intensive parent involvement is necessary.  For most this means grades K-2 and sometimes 3rd, presuming no learning disabilities or ADHD or anything like that. This is because they need listening and oral reading practice to achieve fluency and need an adult to provide clear and constant direction to stay on task. The good news is, at this level of skill, 1-3 hours daily is all that is really required to get it done. This doesn't mean the child watches TV after that, but at that age the child can learn a lot from independent play activities after core academics are done. (Drawing, scissor skills, play-dough play, cooking, outdoor play, free reading picture books and chapter books, etc.) But a lot of new homeschooling parents think "Oh, I have to do that same 8 hour job that a teacher at public school is" and no, no you don't. That teacher at public school is teaching 25 kids of wildly different needs, not their own children.

Once reading fluency is achieved and focus is gained, the hours in traditional studies increase, but the parental hour investment can remain around that 1-3 hours daily mark if they choose curricula written to the child. (Then the parent's job becomes keeping the child on task, providing resources, etc.) The internet makes that easier, too. I promise you Salman Khan can explain long division more clearly and calmly than most parents OR teachers. Don't fight it - just show your child Khan Academy and keep peace in your home.  :)

I suppose realistically I spent more like 4-6 hours a day if I consider whole education, but some of those hours I'd be spending even if my kids were in public school anyways (leading Girl Scouts, running Lego League Robotics Team, driving kids to orchestra and music lessons and other activities, etc - plus I'd be helping with homework and doing school projects in the similar vein to the various 'extras' we do under the umbrella of homeschooling.)

Funnix reading and Funnix math have printable worksheets to use with the programs.

Many movies are great to supplement history: We are studying Middle Ages and love watching movies to go along with what we read.

If we had better internet it would be easier to use Netflix for more documentaries and online learning.

K-3 is more hands on so Right Start Math games, Lego's, Clocks, and Pattern Blocks are great too.

Teaching Texbooks starts at grade 3 also.

Latin DVD's and Cd's, Audio Books, and Xtra Math are great resources for us as well.

Learning Disabilites need to be caught early on although some don't show up until around 3rd - 4 th grade, especially in Reading and Spelling.

The Special Needs Boards is a great place to ask questions and read about issues.

Library cards are essential.

Tutors can also help if needed. 

Educents has had some great Free downloables. I just downloaded Times Tales free. 

Affording The Home School Life has had some great free downloads this year as well.  A+ Math Software has had Fractions, Money, and Multiplication free. Lessons are on the Computer and there are printable worksheets with them as well.

CurrClick also has many free e books and more.

why would they not want to be involved? If they are concerned enough about common core to pull their kids from school then they need to be concerned enough to actually teach the material themselves.  If they can't/won't do that than common core or not they need to leave their kids in school where they can be taught the material, monitored for understanding and LDs etc I can see when it comes to high school using largely independant materials and having times to touch base etc but not in elementary school.  Materials do not need to have extensive parental involvement but elementary kids should not be responsibile for self teaching their subjects

There is very little you can do independently until children are reading well, so K-2nd will always require a lot of hands on time, but you can find low-prep programs which minimize time needed and anything workbooky can be done with a fair bit of independence. Also, those grades don't require more than basics

I know the 'popular' opinion on this forum is that parents should be very involved and that kids 'cant' be independent, but if you teach independence from the beginning, many do thrive with it (if you have never pushed independent work of course you will find your kids struggle with it to begin with, it rather becomes a self fulfilling prophecy) That's why I regularly set my Ker up with something (other than handwriting or math) and then go find something quick to do so she gets used to doing a page without being watched the whole time.

My siblings all did math-u-see from about 3rd grade with only a 5 minute 'check you get the concept' at the start and marking immediately upon finishing for instant feedback (and, then, if they struggled mum would sit down for a more intensive lesson on it either that day or the next day. She found around 90% of lessons were taught clearly enough with the DVD and book to not need direct teaching from her. Also, we actually self marked and then showed her each of our wrong answers for feedback, but many people would prefer to mark themselves). I don't know about other math currics

We found writing strands and LLATL fairly independent. I am sure there are lots of other programs that can be done that way too. I think the independence has more to do with attitude and mindset than the curriculum itself aside from a few obvious examples like AAS. Elementary will always need guidance and feedback, if these parents expect to write a list for their 3rd grader each morning and not check in again until the end of the day, they are in for a rude awakening because that isn't going to happen. But it is entirely possible to do 3rd grade and up without sitting beside the student the entire day, by checking in at the beginning and/or end of each subject and being available for questions.

I haven't personally noticed people with the opinion that young children *can't* be independent so much as the opinion that leaving them to be independent isn't optimal for learning. As an example, I *could* expect my 8yo to complete his own math work daily since it's written to him and he has no trouble reading but he learns better and more when I am there to interact with over the subject, to bounce ideas off of, or to share my own ideas. In history he pursues his own studies but I remain involved enough for him to talk to me about it and to ask him questions that get him thinking about things in a different way or from a different perspective, to bring up implications or connections and the whole endeavor goes so much deeper and sometimes wider than if I was not involved.

Maybe it's a personality thing .. maybe we all teach best or "do school" best in different ways .. But here education is a continual conversation. There are independent elements that we bring to the conversation but there is no conversation without involvement that goes beyond checking for correct answers and basic comprehension of the immediate details.

I know the 'popular' opinion on this forum is that parents should be very involved and that kids 'cant' be independent, but if you teach independence from the beginning, many do thrive with it (if you have never pushed independent work of course you will find your kids struggle with it to begin with, it rather becomes a self fulfilling prophecy)

I have family members who were homeschooled at an older age than elementary for a few years, expected to be very independent, and it was not academically beneficial; they ultimately enrolled in a different, private school and did quite well. Homeschooling in that style was not the answer. So I am not a believer in, especially young, children teaching themselves. I don't believe in math as consisting of a page of problems to quietly solve, at least not more than occasionally. I think if the parent regular teaches themselves skills (e.g. knitting, car repair, emergency childbirth procedures, plumbing) AND content areas (quantum mechanics, multivariate calculus, Victorian literature), they may be able to transmit some of that "can-do" spirit to their child, but I'd be surprised if average-abled, very young children could teach themselves to read or do basic arithmetic. It has nothing to do with "independence" or any moral quality, and more to do with the guidance and explanation of a mentor/expert. Even Socrates, who believed all answers are contained within the human brain, basically, thought a teacher-like figure was required to draw them out through conversation.

I think I would recommend that parents who don't want to plan very much enroll their kids in a virtual charter school like K-12, where there is a teacher assigned to the child. I don't know how much Calvert does things for you. I don't know much about this option, but I don't think replacing a teacher with....nothing, is a very good idea. 

I know the 'popular' opinion on this forum is that parents should be very involved and that kids 'cant' be independent, but if you teach independence from the beginning, many do thrive with it (if you have never pushed independent work of course you will find your kids struggle with it to begin with, it rather becomes a self fulfilling prophecy) ...

I don't think that the idea is that kids "can't be independent", as much as "asking a child to self-educate in primary grades isn't the best option". 

I don't judge these parents as not caring or not wanting to do what's best for their dc. I think they're just misinformed.

We should all understand this better than anyone, because academics-focused hs'ers have some things in common:

1. We've met a thousand people who have no idea what we do all day, and

2. We know what we went through to teach our own.

Think back. Your current philosophical understanding of classical home ed did not spring, Jove-like, from your brow the first instant you realized that public school would not be an option for your child. You weren't born knowing how to teach grammar, either. Even if you knew something about teaching and you had some background in real education, you had not yet learned what you know now about the daily diligence, ongoing self-education, and total dedication that are essential to hs'ing...there is no substitute for experience.

Homeschooling is more mainstream than ever but by no means familiar to most parents other than as an option they know exists but have never researched yet. Lets not begrudge them their learning curve. They can't know everything (like how to teach) on day one.

Another thought:

If there is to be a new wave of hs'ers due to failing Ed policies and fads; if Common Core is driving families out of school (at least temporarily) it's in our best interest to help them succeed. Homeschool freedom is a precarious thing.

A few years ago, two states (Indiana and Texas) saw some increased scrutiny and criticism of hs'ing on the state legislature level. Homeschooled students were dropouts, truant, breaking laws, getting into trouble, not going on to careers or college after high school....only guess what? Those kids were not homeschoolers. They were "pushouts," which means that their public school behavior and grades were so bad that they were jeopardizing funding, so the schools kicked them out and informed the parents, "You are now homeschoolers." And they recorded the kids as homeschoolers.

These families were not either homeschoolers, and the reasons their kids failed in school did not resolve by kicking them out. And the parents did not magically become more available or more capable just by being told their dc were their responsibility now. Perceptions of hs'ing began to change for the worse (up to the point of scary legislation arising in our state legislature) until we all figured out what was going on.

I heard the other day that hs'ing families are expected to increase in number seven times, in the very near future. I haven't been able to nail down the source of this figure but I keep hearing it: 21 million new hs'ed kids on Americas horizon. If even a fraction of that number are pulled out in reaction to common core and fail due to lack of information and support, we will all be at risk.

I hope the majority will begin with Calvert or other highly supervisory options. IMO, most families will need a stepping stone between public school methodology and independent homeschooling. I'm going to study these options so I know how to discuss them if anyone asks.

I agree Tibbie. It makes me slightly nervous how many people are pulling kids out due to common core. I don't feel parents should use their children as some sort of protest. 

Homeschooling in my mind, is a freedom, and a lifestyle. It takes self education and a willingness to be involved in a very intense way. There is no such thing as low involvement in homeschooling. It takes work. And I often joke that we're putting ourselves through a school of education without degree or certification for our efforts.

I hope that the group the op mentions has truly thought about homeschooling from the angle of providing an education and will have the willingness to read and self educate. 

I'm okay with taking children out of school to provide a better education. But I can't understand taking kids out as some form of protest only to ask for means to provide a less than education.

Plenty of resources are easy and open and go for the new homeschooling parent until they find their depth. But low involvement is not a good choice of terms.

I do hope that these new parents, homeschooling due to cc, are successful, because I would hate a new form of scrutiny.

I have family members who were homeschooled at an older age than elementary for a few years, expected to be very independent, and it was not academically beneficial; they ultimately enrolled in a different, private school and did quite well.

Well, I'd think that anyone pulled out of regular school and go into homeschooling with parents expecting independence are going to struggle. Those students would be accustomed to someone telling them what to do every minute of the day and would require some transition. Also at older than elementary, there needs to be more discussion, etc. So much of what is taught in elementary is just facts and data and fundamentals. Most people I know who are homeschooling teens (and have been throughout) have their kids in various group settings at that age for discussion, whether it be college community courses, co-ops, literature clubs, etc.

Even Socrates, who believed all answers are contained within the human brain, basically, thought a teacher-like figure was required to draw them out through conversation.

Schooling in any kind of formal setting didn't begin for Ancient Greeks until they were 14 yrs old. But I agree with him still for primary students. These conversations however can be pretty organic; they don't need to be formal or require a lot of time, and they certainly aren't required for a lot of what an elementary student is doing.

I agree with the advice for computer aid though. With 21st century technology a lot of what a traditional teacher/parent would do can be done with computer assistance. I know with the classical philosophy people are sometimes resistant to this, and to each their own, but in my case, technology is just plain *better* than me at, say, drilling my kids on geography. My kids enjoy it more, learn faster, and I can drink my coffee and post on this forum while they do it. :D I mean, I have nothing against standing there with maps and pointers and map-coloring exercises classroom teacher style if that's how you want to teach/learn geography.  It's just not for me, and I don't think it's the necessary way to go.

How about a workbook curriculum such as ACE or Starline Press?  I don't consider these the "best" choices, but I do think it sets up a structure to the day for a new homeschooler....then they can start piecing things together with different curriculum once they are confident.  My kids really liked schooling with it...I just didn't feel it was the best learning.  I think it was the structure and independence that made it appealing to them (though 3 of the 4 were on the older side when we tried it.)

Gee, what could go wrong?

How parent-involved is Calvert? I knew missionaries 20+ years ago that used Calvert for homeschooling, and they were very active on the field. Neither parent really had much time to teach. Their daughters turned out well and attended college.

I'd asked this very question as I am looking for more self-led curriculum next year for my older son due to a new baby who will be in the house. From what I understand, at the younger elementary levels, it is very parent involved. At the older elementary, the teacher's guide is actually written to the student. I wasn't really clear where the cutoff was, but by 6th grade (which we are looking at using) it is student driven.

It's going to be a tradeoff among time, money and control. If they want to wait until the summer to withdraw their children, they might as well spend the spring doing some research.

• For free* and with little involvement, parents can use the public school.
  • If they want to pay someone else to do it their way so they don't have to spend the time, there's private $chool, or maybe a tutor.
  • If they don't want to spend that many thousands of dollars, they can put in hundreds to a few thousand and pay for something like Calvert (or for older kids, Keystone) with teacher service, putting in less time but still supervising and reading things aloud to young students. This is a considerable sacrifice of control (probably equal the private school) and a moderate cost in time and money.
  • If they want to spend a few hundred dollars or less, they can put together a curriculum piecemeal and plan it and use it. It will take time and a little money and allow the most control. There may still be accountability to the state, depending on where you live. The good news is that there is a lot of infomation available online--in a forum like this where they can ask questions, on local group websites that explain the law, and on blogs, review sites, etc., where people post what they are doing. (For example, I post my curriculum selections and weekly schedule.)

The good news is that the one who sets goals, buys the materials and puts in the time to implement everything also has the control. The bad news is that taking the responsibility away from someone else puts it squarely in your own lap, so little involvement gets little results.

*supplies not necessarily included.

The Robinson Self-Teaching Curriculum

"Teach your kids to teach themselves. Self-teaching methodology turns kids into independant learners"

Practical Homeschooling Magazine 2008 Annual Reader Awards

First Places in:
BulletMark.png Literature
BulletMark.png Vocabulary
BulletMark.png Curriculum - Middle School
BulletMark.png Curriculum - High School
BulletMark.png Spelling
BulletMark.png Grammar / Language Arts
BulletMark.png History

"This teaching program requires almost no teacher interaction. It is not dependent upon the parent's individual education, and it routinely allows the students to acquire skills and knowledge that are beyond those of the parents. "

I think clarification of the phrase "low parental involvement" is needed here.

If it means: "Doesn't require a lot of planning and prep work," then there are several options.

If it means: "Doesn't require devoting much time or attention to my children," then homeschooling might not be a good solution.

Think back. Your current philosophical understanding of classical home ed did not spring, Jove-like, from your brow the first instant you realized that public school would not be an option for your child. 

Hey! Speak for yourself. :) 

I think it depends on what they mean by "little parental involvement". As many mentioned here, there are certainly boxed curriculums that you can use that have already picked out most of what you. I think Calvert has been mentioned, Seton is a Catholic curriculum that a lot of people around here use that I believe is pretty much a boxed curriculum. Or something like K12 might be an option. Those aren't necessarily low involvement in teaching, just in picking and choosing and planning the curriculum. I find that most people I meet that haven't homeschooled themselves believe that somehow the schools provide some kind of curriculum for me or that I just order from one place everything I want. So I can imagine that people with kids in public school might just think that's the way things work. 

Another kind of independence would be parents not doing much directed teaching. I agree with others that I think that's not a recipe for success, at any level. I think kids can be independent but they still need teachers. You might not need to sit and hover over them as they do the math assignment but I think to be truly called a teacher you need to understand what they are learning and be able to answer questions when they come up (or provide them with a source for questions you can't answer). 

Well, I'd think that anyone pulled out of regular school and go into homeschooling with parents expecting independence are going to struggle. Those students would be accustomed to someone telling them what to do every minute of the day and would require some transition. Also at older than elementary, there needs to be more discussion, etc. So much of what is taught in elementary is just facts and data and fundamentals. Most people I know who are homeschooling teens (and have been throughout) have their kids in various group settings at that age for discussion, whether it be college community courses, co-ops, literature clubs, etc.

in my case, technology is just plain *better* than me at, say, drilling my kids on geography. My kids enjoy it more, learn faster, and I can drink my coffee and post on this forum while they do it. :D I mean, I have nothing against standing there with maps and pointers and map-coloring exercises classroom teacher style if that's how you want to teach/learn geography.  It's just not for me, and I don't think it's the necessary way to go.

I think this is a gross misrepresentation of how most people homeschool geography, and rather a straw man, frankly. There is a world between being what you represent as a classroom teacher style (which is not how I ever experienced geography in public or private school) and having your kids drill themselves using a computer on geography. Technology like that might work for low-level memorization, but not for anything more in depth. I have yet to read a single homeschooling book, blog entry, or post on this forum in which a HSing parent ever described her/himself as 1) standing there with 2) maps and 3) pointers and 4) map-coloring exercises in order to teach countries' locations.

I expect my kids to do much more than "facts and data," so I am afraid that I cannot identify with your notion of elementary school. I was referring to (non-elementary aged) students who were handed textbooks and expected to teach themselves math. For anyone who struggles with math, that is going to be difficult to impossible.  This includes people who were part of the 1980s/90s conservative Christian homeschooling movement that was also more reactionary than pro-homeschooling, which is how I perceive people who want to remove their kids from school to avoid evolution/dinosaurs/sex ed/the common core but don't have a sense of what they are providing.

So, no, I don't identify with the suggestion that a child should sit with a computer or textbook and teach themselves, and I thoroughly reject your fallacious argument that using a physical map and coloring, or (the exactly online equivalent, which funnily enough you've presented as if it's different) sitting with a virtual map on a computer and clicking, is a robust study of geography. 

I think this would work about as well as someone who decided not to eat out at restaurants but didn't want to buy prepared food or spend any time cooking.

Well these require parent involvement but are pretty scripted so you don't feel like your teaching off the cuff and possibly ruining your kids. Lol. I was and still am afraid to teach without a little handholding so I think maybe this is where they are coming from?

Math ... Math Mammoth

Spelling... SpellWell

Grammar/Composition... FLL and WWE

Phonics... ETC

History... Usborne Encyclopedia of World History and Story of the World

Science... Usborne Encyclopedia of Science

Then throw in lots of library books on various topics and field trips. I don't really teach my kids so much as guide them, I think. They are absorbing a ton.

If they truly don't want to be involved then Time4Learning might work? Everything else like K12 or Connections would still be CC, I think. They could move to Texas which has not chosen to follow CC? Lol

There will have to be parental involvement, but as previously mentioned, there are programs like Calvert that are very well planned to make the parent's life easier.  It's a good stepping stone, and some virtual schools also have it available, which may/may not appeal to the parents as they'd still be under the public schools.  

Sonlight is planned out with a daily schedule, but it would require parental involvement in terms of read-alouds, etc.

Honestly, I would say probably the best thing for these parents would be to actually research what Common Core is and get away from the myths and conspiracy theories.  They could also look at forming a co-op, where one parent takes responsibility for one subject.

What do they think they're saving their kids from?

Thing is, Common Core standards will still find their way into textbooks and curricula used by homeschoolers.  Having standards so that kids can move easily between states and be on the relatively same page is not necessarily bad. (For example, Massachusetts had much tougher standards than Alabama, and comparatively if you look at Mass students and how they alone did on the PISA tests...they were near the top...far better than the average US student.)  However,  if they want to avoid all the testing of No Child Left Behind, homeschooling may be a good option.  But...I'm not sure how they'll realistically avoid Common Core.  Multiplication is multiplication.  Saying that 4th graders should understand place value to one million is not going to harm a child.  I suppose one could choose not to teach that?  

I'm hoping the OP comes back to clarify what "very little parent involvement" means. Until then it seems like all anyone can do is conjecture the best or worste and suggest accordingly.

The movement of pulling out because of CC is alarming, however. Both of my SIL pulled their children last year/this year because of this movement and the advice of a family friend that "children will learn better at home with their mothers than from the government-run schools no matter what you do." Emphasis on the last 5 words. I have to admit I do not believe it to be true for either family. I was relieved to hear one sent her son back last week.

I am also wondering why they are pulling them "because of common core". I know different states are implementing it differently. For example I understand it is a horrible disaster in much of New York State, but this has more to do with the testing and constant changes in curriculum implementation. (I am hearing this from public school teachers there specifically). In my state it seems to be having only a limited effect, because the actual list of common core standards aren't really that big of a deal.

So if they are actually opposed to the list of standards, they may have issues with a lot of open and go curriculum, as several "align with the common core". If they have issues with the implementation in their area, then a common core aligned curriculum would be an option.

OK, some clarification from the OP! 

I have two families in mind.  One is a family where both parents work full time.  The other is a family where the mother struggles with depression and energy issues and the thought of pulling and starting three kids at once is a bit overwhelming to her, though she does see some of the benefit of more parent intensive curriculums.

As to why their pulling their kids out, curriculum content is part of it, but perhaps their even bigger reason is the privacy violations and data collection brought about by CC.

I would suggest a boxed curriculum like K12 or Calvert..... But if common core is the reason for pulling out those suggestions are moot. 

Even many homeschool curriculums are aligning to common core.

It's not the alignment to CC that is the issue in all cases, I don't think. In some states some materials have been released that are opposed to some families values. For example, a personal friend with a child in public school (this was New York) sent me a 6th grade reading selection that was a first-person novel from the perspective of a Mexican pregnant 16-yr-old who feels she's hated by racists who also stereotype against pregnant teenagers. 

That's not the literature discussion many parents want their 11-yr-old having in class.  I'm sure Calvert is more judicious with their choices even if they are CC aligned.

I have two families in mind. One is a family where both parents work full time. The other is a family where the mother struggles with depression and energy issues and the thought of pulling and starting three kids at once is a bit overwhelming to her, though she does see some of the benefit of more parent intensive curriculums.

As to why their pulling their kids out, curriculum content is part of it, but perhaps their even bigger reason is the privacy violations and data collection brought about by CC.

Ok that sounds better, like they have limited availability, as opposed to limited involvement.

Those are 2 vastly different situations. I imagine when the dual income parents are working someone will be caring for the kids? So that person might be able to assist with school work to a certain degree, and the parents could review the work with the child when they are home. (I assume they had to spend some time on homework with the child during the school year anyway). Probably some of the online/computer/or open and go "boxed" graded curriculum would be appropriate.

The low energy mom situation is different. I am assuming she is going to be home with the kids in the day, and if she has 3 elementary at least one of them is at an age to need a good bit of interaction in someway anyway. A boxed graded curriculum would probably not be a great idea for 3 kids. She might be better off to combine the kids for most subjects, and only use "graded" curriculum for math and language arts. So she might need a combo of open and go.

Of course that is just my guess.

Really I agree with the previous poster way up thread. If they aren't pulling the kids until next year, they have plenty of time to research and pick what most suits their needs. It only takes about 2 wks to get curriculum in the mail in the continental U.S. There are so many options.

Especially, low energy mom. It would really be best for her to take some time, there is likely something out there to meet her and her kids needs, and she would likely do better if she finds a good fit rather than just picking whatever and getting frustrated with it.

There are so many factors, are the kids ahead, behind, good at math, science oriented, arts oriented. Is the family of a particular religious persuasion etc....

I have two families in mind.  One is a family where both parents work full time.  The other is a family where the mother struggles with depression and energy issues and the thought of pulling and starting three kids at once is a bit overwhelming to her, though she does see some of the benefit of more parent intensive curriculums.

That's tough because honestly both of those situations are the type that I would say the children need to be in a b&m school.  It's not even just that the parents can't/won't be putting in much time to actually teach, but the children won't be getting properly supervised etc either.  So essentially both families the kids would be left to their own devices all day everyday, expected to not only teach themselves the material but also tend to their basic needs, etc.  For the working family are the kids even of an age where they can be legally left home alone?  OUt here there is no set age to be left home alone BUT if more than one child is left home together at least 1 has to be over the age of 12.  THe oldest left home is considered to be babysitting any younger siblings and it is illegal to be babysitting before age 12 here.  That family needs to look into their state laws on that.  I honestly do not think either family should be homeschooling unless they arfe hiring someone to supervise the children and at the very least tutor them. 

For the Mom looking at homeschooling 3 kids, would they all be elementary? Curricula like Calvert can be a lot to do for three kids…but Calvert does have a lot of free webinars that you can listen to (including homeschooling many).  Go to  http://homeschool.calverteducation.com/about-home-schooling/webinar-library

If they are relatively close in age, then something like Sonlight, where you can combine grades, might be a lot easier. Just break out the math by level.

And while yes, it requires technically (in theory) almost no parental interaction, it does require a certain very strange and boring lifestyle. Like one involving that you ingest nothing to stimulate you and that you just read all day and never leave the house. And you happen to be very hermit like by nature. And I could get on board with that except the awful material suggestions.

I'm with Wendy. She's funny. :P

Actually, reading Frankenstein confirmed my conviction not to leave my son alone to himself in his education. Imagine how much tragedy could have been avoided if his father had simply discussed with him WHY he believed he shouldn't invest his time in studying that ancient science text and also recommended other resources.

Um, if they're really not going to be available to teach and instruct their elementary age children, then homeschooling is NOT for them.

As for Calvert, it is VERY teacher intensive.  It's an in-the-box curriculum, but the homeschooling parent teaches every single subject in the younger grades.  I used it when I first started homeschooling twenty years ago (and my choices were Calvert, Abeka or Bob Jones), and it was fabulous.  Those teacher manuals taught me how to teach.

Perhaps these parents should be looking into private schools.

I agree with the the majority on this thread, but if the parents are going to pull them anyway then I have a few recommendations.

Teaching Textbooks for math - We use this, but I'm very involved.   I always ask them if they understood the lecture before they start their arithmetic, and if things aren't clearly understood then we go over them together.  We do not move on until whatever it is is mastered..  My kids work in the workbook and then type their answers into the computer for grading.  We go over all missed problems together even though they've already seen them solved properly via TT.  My children are not allowed to use the "Try Again" feature because I found that they weren't as careful solving the problems in their workbooks/the first time.  We do no formal math just games until 3rd grade and use TT on grade level.  I do not expect us to continue with TT much past elementary age though.

We also incorporate Cuisenaire rods into our math.  We like Education Unboxed which is a free website filled with math videos showing all elementary concepts explained with C. rods and how to use them as manipulatives, if necessary.

My kids LOVE math and use it constantly in their everyday.  We have a grocery store near our home, and they ride their bikes to do light shopping for me occasionally for fun.  They love figuring out the best deal by figuring the cost per ounce, pound, etc.  I've always made it a point to stop and share with my children or have them help me figure out math when I encounter it in our everyday life.  I think that's invaluable.

Explode the Code for reading, handwriting, and basic spelling instruction -  I love this!  I add Leap Frog dvds, Happy Phonics games and beginning readers like Bob Books to it..  Great Combo.  

Handwriting with Tears Cursive - Great for my oldest who is a lefty and fun for my right handed son, as well.  They have beautiful cursive.

Growing With Grammar -  I have my dc read their lesson to me and we do the first problem in each section together.  We also do the "2 review and 1 new" rule at the beginning of our grammar time which basically means that  I have them narrate the previous two lessons subjects to me and then we go on to the new lesson.  We also do The Sentence Family and Grammar Land prior to GWG.

Rod and Staff for Spelling -  Again my children are elementary age, so they do not do this independently.  

Writing is my own thing put together using several writing curricula as a guide, so I have no recommendation(s) for you there!

I would like to say that I applaud these parents for not being blind and for wanting to shield their kids and family from all of the cc issues. 

I work full time but I am able to take my dd with me sometimes and my dh is able to keep her when I can't. Still it is very hard for me to school her. If I could not take her with me and didn't have dh to sit with her I don't think I could pull it off. I would not leave my kid at home alone. Or maybe she was considering a full time sitter with her kids during work hours?

For the mom who works: I would suggest she evaluate to see if she REALLY MUST work. Once expenses are subtracted does she really come out ahead? It may be possible for her to quit and stay at home. Or maybe they could down size their home or car payment?? 

Dr Robinson had to school his kids while he worked after his wife died. This is how he came about the Robinson method of schooling where his kids were mostly independent. Maybe these moms could do something like this (depending on their children's motivation): 1 hour math, 2 hours reading (choose books about science, history/Bible and lit), 1 hour writing about what was read. This or some sort of modified version. Spelling is necessary for some kids and grammar needs to be added at some point. But I would suggest to always be able to guide and help as needed and not just be left alone. I think this method may be especially helpful for the mom with low energy. 

Some people use ACE Paces when they are not able to spend a lot of time with their kids. I would consider them for math, language arts and maybe science, but use the library for history. 

Something like HOD would require parent time/instruction however it is 100% laid out and would make it easy for a parent to learn how to teach. 

I pray that these moms find what works best in their situations.

I am wondering where they wish to limit their involvement. Is it in teaching or planning? When I pulled my kids from school years and years ago, I wanted lots of hand holding. Maybe that is their intention. They know they are not happy with what is happening in their ps, yet they are not sure how to go about putting together something better....

They might consider starting their own private school instead of homeschooling.

In the FT working family, they will have to either zig-zag their schedules and/or hire childcare.  I could see it working well if the parents used highly scripted lessons, detailed plans that were left for the caregiver to oversee.  The parents could check work and do some teaching after work.  It would take great dedication, but it could work.  I do know of a family that has teenage kids that essentially self-teach during the day while their parents are at work, and the parents check work and do minimal teaching after work.  It works for them, but they are exceptional kids.  That is not going to work for all....or even most...families.

For the depressed mom, can she get help?  Maybe spending some de-schooling time with her kids; going to the zoo, taking nature walks, just reading wonderful books aloud, taking up a shared hobby, cooking good meals, etc...maybe that would do some healing for all.  Add in a decent math curric and that would be a perfectly acceptable way to end out the school year.  She should get to know her kids, gain basic discipline and routine in the home (all day vs just after school), and research options for the fall. 

I have to agree that it would be better for the kids to be in a b&m school if the parents are not completely dedicated to educating their kids.  We all have challenges that we have to overcome, so I hate to put a damper on things just b/c it will be hard.  Will they make it work even when it's hard?

I wonder if not sending their kid to school will mean they will entirely get out of the whole information reporting/recording thing.  I don't know what the details of that are, but I know here, districts can ask homeschoolers to fill out local census information which some people perceive as pretty intrusive.  I have yet to have anyone ask me to do that, but I am aware they could ask me and I'm supposed to fill out the forms even if I'm not sending my kid to school.

IMHO public schools have always invaded privacy and data mined on various levels. 

IMHO public schools have always invaded privacy and data mined on various levels.

Definitely.

My husband works for a company that makes a product schools use.  They have all kinds of info about the students.  Mostly stuff that could be figured out pretty easily about a person, but some stuff I think they don't need to know.

I am clueless about this. Mind being more specific? What type of data do schools collect that parents might find intrusive? I'm genuinely curious.

So, parents who work full time and a mom with depression issues? Both of those are not great situations to homeschool and I hope they spend some time seriously thinking about their goals and how they can marshal their resources. Their kids deserve something better than 'low involvement' education.

Maybe they would be better off just not sending their kids to school on testing days. I know quite a few people who do that.

The basics.  I have my elementary dc read 30 minutes each from a literature book, science book and some kind of history book (biography, historical fiction or nonfiction on a particular topic) each day and orally narrate what they've read.  They also do a math lesson and copy work.  At second grade we add a spelling program (if needed) and at fourth grade a grammar program.  Also, at fourth grade copywork changes to dictation.  Written narrations starting at fifth grade.  That's it until we start a formal science curriculum in 8th grade.

Not judging, just answering the question that op posted:

Robinson Curriculum is the one that immediately comes to mind. 

After that, it's up to individual learning styles.  The reason for leaving is Common Core; I sincerely doubt they will all agree to unanimously choose the same curriculum.  What would be the point?  That's why they're leaving ps. 

I am clueless about this. Mind being more specific? What type of data do schools collect that parents might find intrusive? I'm genuinely curious.

I am also curious. The only thing I can think of is filling out forms that include range of income, parents education level, etc. but I kindof think they need that information to track trends in achievement (or lack thereof).

Although I am very involved in my children's lives and educations, I tend to choose materials that allow me to be in the role of mentor and guide instead of teaching in the traditional sense.  So, this question is right up my alley.  I don't necessary use the materials listed below, but they all might fit the bill.

Multiple Subjects:

BJU Video, A Beka Video, CLE

Math:
Teaching Textbooks, MUS, Developmental Math, CLE Math

Learning to Read:

anything open-and-go like OPGTR or Phonics Pathways.  Once they know how to read, just have them read lots of books - whatever they enjoy.

Spelling:

most workbook-based programs.  I personally love Building Spelling Skills

Grammar / Writing:

Essentials in Writing - it's complete and video based.  

Science:

I'm drawing a blank on this one.  We don't do formal science yet.

I would counsel the working couple to seriously considering having one parent quit their job (or cut down to part time at least) in order to homeschool if they feel strongly committed to the idea.

And I would counsel the single mom to keep her kids in school.  Tell her to take care of herself.  Common Core isn't so bad that she has to put her health and mental health at risk.  Homeschooling is HARD WORK and it takes time, no matter what curriculum you pick.  She can afterschool, opt out of testing, volunteer at the school...there are other ways to support her children than to homeschool.