Menu

Waist 28, Inside Leg 36?

Laura Corin

Calvin is visiting the US this summer.  I'd like to get him several pairs of trousers to go off to university in.  I can't find 28/36 here - he's mostly wearing 30/34 with extra elastic in the back.  Clothes are cheaper in the US anyway.

Can you suggest some US online retailers that would work?  I could get them shipped to my sister-in-law to await his arrival. He mostly likes straight-legged trousers and would prefer a colour other than denim blue.

Thanks

L

That's a challenging size.  He'll probably still have to go with the 30 waist.

What would you consider a good price for pants? 

At this point, I'd pay a lot for something that would fit him.  FWIW I've paid up to £50 so far (USD75) for trousers that were a close enough fit. 

The odd thing is that he's only 5'10" - it's all leg though.  If he was a bit taller, his waist might be larger too.  I do feed him, but he's always been in roughly those proportions.

Thanks

L

Hm...I'm noticing they are saying stuff in that size is not in stock (I suspect they just don't have that size).  Referring ot the Zappos site. 

I went on the Docker's site and they theoretically have that size in a lot of styles, but when I look, it's always out of stock.  

He's really more like a 28/35, but the 34 is hovering these days.  The 34 is hard enough to find.

He was only 7 3/4 pounds at birth but ludicrously long.  The midwife said, 'There was just more and more and more of him.'  He's probably reached his full height (I'm 5'4" and Husband is 5'6") but he's only just crept onto the bottom of the BMI chart.

L

You could go with a 29W and just have him tighten the belt, or take to a tailor--it's an easy fix to pull in an inch. Who knows--he may gain that inch the first year at uni--"Freshman 10" they call it! He'll prob want jeans along with khakis, as they are standard wear in American unis.

We order from lands end and have custom length done (free). If you stack a coupon code on (there's a 30% off one on now); they are quite reasonable. The school uniform trousers wash up quite nicely and have reinforced knees.

Good thought - Lands' End in the UK doesn't carry that size.

Thanks

American eagle also has a lot of 28w36l, and they are more trendy.

It looked good, but whenever I clicked on the 28 waist, the 36 length disappeared.  Another of those phantom sizes!

You might try some western stores. Our cowboys tend to be long and skinny. Seriously.

Other than that American Outfitter might have some.

Thanks, I'll look.

L

You could go with a 29W and just have him tighten the belt, or take to a tailor--it's an easy fix to pull in an inch. Who knows--he may gain that inch the first year at uni--"Freshman 10" they call it! He'll prob want jeans along with khakis, as they are standard wear in American unis.

Sorry, I wasn't clear: he's travelling in the US but then returning to the UK for university.

He's not very interested in food - but you are right, he might put on weight....

L

I don't recommend Land's End. I used to purchase the men's 32/36 chinos on a regular basis for DH. I stopped several years ago as the quality and fit have detiorated. The flat front chinos are cut too loose in the thigh, making the front bulge, and the fabric has a cheap feel. After a long phone call with customer service asking for an explanation, it turns the company switched suppliers, and the results are not for the better.

Levi's Dockers sound like they would fit the bill. My husband is an "odd size" and shops at Men's Warehouse - they do free alterations on purchases and are fairly quick. He will be able to get his waist and pants altered to fit him. However, price wise, you will probably pay about what you are paying now. 

Do an online search. There are several online men's tall stores which sell that size in the $30-50 range. They're also on ebay fairly often. 

My brother is 28x34 and my mom often calls standard stores which sell Levis (JCPenneys, etc.) and asks them to order a pair or two for him. Levis makes that size but most stores chose not to carry it unless they know someone will buy them. Then she picks them up at the store.  

I'm watching this carefully, because I have a guy that size and another that's 30/36.  We find Buffalo jeans online when we can for the slimmer guy and Old Navy jeans that are a size too wide for the larger guy.  Dress pants still more of less work when they are at their longest.  Non jeans have been a bust so far.  They do not like the too wide feel.

Do let me know where you find some (with links).  One problem I keep finding is that even when I find these sizes, they fit large in the butt and thighs which just do not flatter the string bean form.  I've returned more pants than I care to think about.

BTW, my guys are over 6'2" so we need tall, but thin shirts as well - not easy.

also from zappos...Dockers Mens Alpha Khakis in assorted colors Haven't seen these in person yet, but zappos is easy to return to if they don't work out.

Macy's, H&M, and the Gap seem to be in between seasons here; wait a few weeks and check back to find more selections there I think

Unfortunately, all the Zappos Dockers styles seem to have phantom sizes: 28 is an option but when you click on 28 and then 36, they all say out of stock.

So far, Wranglers Jeans and that site that Wendy found look like the strongest bets, as well as Lands' End.

Thanks, all

Laura

I don't recommend Land's End. I used to purchase the men's 32/36 chinos on a regular basis for DH. I stopped several years ago as the quality and fit have detiorated. The flat front chinos are cut too loose in the thigh, making the front bulge, and the fabric has a cheap feel. After a long phone call with customer service asking for an explanation, it turns the company switched suppliers, and the results are not for the better.

Same experience here. My husband used to order from Land's end a lot for work pants, their "canvas" line of jeans and custom for dress shirts and now their stuff is just junk but no cheaper.

He's not very interested in food - but you are right, he might put on weight....

L

A lot of skinny teen age boys don't put on their muscle until their late teens/early 20s. My husband was 19 when we started dating and was basically skin and bones. A couple of years brought him an extra inch of height and a layer of lean muscle mass that bumped up his clothing sizes. That said, he still needed those super skinny pants for years after high school so I personally wouldn't see the need to buy things bigger for a 17 year old to grow into.

LC,

Have you tried a slim cut or skinny cut?

I know people are down on lands end but we've not had a problem with them...and they added a slimmer cut style to their men's line.

Yes.  If he tries a 30, even in a skinny style, he can take them off without undoing the fly.

L

Laura,

If you go with slim fit, you can go up a size or two, says another mom of a skinny son! But mine wears 29-30 waist, and 30-32 length. We actually found slims that were too tight, and that usually never happens. Gap and Banana Republic are two places we usually find him pants/jeans.

But you said 28 waist?

The skinny cut is thru the hips and thighs but I noticed the waists do seem to fit better on my boys, plus less fabric flapping around their bony legs.

Yes. I thought you meant that with a skinny cut he would be able to deal with a larger size, as finding the smaller size is a problem.

L

Levi's, but you'll have to order online, and they are often out of that size.

My son is currently wearing 29x34, but they are looking short on him.  Tops are even worse, at least I can order the pants, but I buy men's M shirts and they look like a tent on him, but the body and sleeves are not long enough.  Even Old Navy and AE are no help (they carry Slim tops). 

• 6 months later...

Thank you, everyone, for your help.  We ordered some Wranglers (three colours to last him through university) to be delivered to a friend's house and picked up while C was in the US.  He finally has jeans that fit around his waist and hips, without the baggy bottom that you get from Mum threading elastic through the waist of your jeans.  And they are just a little too long for him.  He looks brilliant.  

And he's wearing them to go off and use a bit of a legacy to buy himself a new bass guitar to take off to university.  His music-loving great grandfather, who died just after he was born, would have been very pleased.  Happy day.

L

Stop Press.  I'd found some at some big and tall shops in the US.  I tried those in the UK, but couldn't find that size, but the US seems to have some.

L

Wow.  You did well.  I had looked for that size and could not find them.  My son is 6'2" and needs 28/36, but I had to settle for 30/36.  I couldn't find dress pants at all (unless I had them tailored).  

I have one that size. 30s droop too much and gaps can slip out of his belt. Wranglers fit him best, and usually the plain cowboy style instead of the "cool" styles.

(Before he joined a swim team last year he wore 26" waist. I was thrilled when he could hold up a 28 without a belt!)