Menu

Games for Teens: If You Like Apples to Apples...

joannqn

We have been inviting DD14's and DS12's friends over on a regular basis to give our kids a chance to develop some good friendships.  Some times, they all come over to play games.  They really enjoy playing two games:  Apples to Apples and Mao.

I'm looking for some additional game suggestions.

This looks like a neat game; I hadn't heard of it previously.  Thanks for mentioning it.

After watching several rounds of Mao, I'm not sure how you would start playing it without someone who already knows and understands the games.  I feel overwhelmed just reading the Wikipedia article.

In my kids' circle, newcomers are not given any rules; they learn it by watching and then attempting to play and getting lots of penalties.  It's quite hilarious.  

• 1 month later...

Came back to this post to see the list of suggestions again.  

Fluxx was a pretty big flop with our friends.  (I bought the Star Fluxx version because we are sci-fi geeks.) Our family played it and liked it.  We played it with a group of adults, and everyone cheered when the game was thrown and finally ended.  The teens quit half way through the game.  :(

Chrononauts! Everyone whom we've introduced to this game LOVES it!

My son stole my dinosaur cards from my Chrononauts game when he was two. He liked them so much he couldn't help it.

I  wrote the company that makes the game asking for more dinosaurs, they were delighted with the story and they sent me more dinosaurs. They also sent some cute looking cards for him. :)

Came back to this post to see the list of suggestions again.  

Fluxx was a pretty big flop with our friends.  (I bought the Star Fluxx version because we are sci-fi geeks.) Our family played it and liked it.  We played it with a group of adults, and everyone cheered when the game was thrown and finally ended.  The teens quit half way through the game.   :(

I like the monty python version since it involves outrageous accents and singing.

We bought Spot It for our next try.  After going through several options, it's what the family voted for.  I like that it can be played with younger kids too.  

We typically have 8-10 people playing, which limits what games we can play.

We have been inviting DD14's and DS12's friends over on a regular basis to give our kids a chance to develop some good friendships. Some times, they all come over to play games. They really enjoy playing two games: Apples to Apples and Mao.

I'm looking for some additional game suggestions.

My teens love Curses.
Also a card game called We Didn't Playtest This At All (this is a particularly good one if you want a short game.)

My teens like Castle Panic. It's for 1 to 6 players. It's a cooperative game, easy to understand and can be enjoyed by all ages really. We like it because we can actually beat the game. We like Pandemic too but have never beaten the game so it gets frustrating.

Fluxx was a pretty big flop with our friends.  (I bought the Star Fluxx version because we are sci-fi geeks.) Our family played it and liked it.  We played it with a group of adults, and everyone cheered when the game was thrown and finally ended.  The teens quit half way through the game.  

We've found that Fluxx is either a big hit or a flop with different groups of people.  I wonder if it's a personality thing.

Also a card game called We Didn't Playtest This At All (this is a particularly good one if you want a short game.)

I'd never heard of We Didn't Playtest This at All  and it looks like fun; thanks for mentioning it.

Regards,

Kareni

Any more direction for what kind of games you're looking for? 

Yes, Fluxx can be either loved or hated. It's not really for people that like linear games...or games that play within a set period of time. Some of the versions are pretty funny, but they're not for everyone. You need a flexible group. 

Good luck with the next game!

Any more direction for what kind of games you're looking for? 

Yes, Fluxx can be either loved or hated. It's not really for people that like linear games...or games that play within a set period of time. Some of the versions are pretty funny, but they're not for everyone. You need a flexible group. 

Good luck with the next game!

I really don't know.  I know that the adults all like Apples to Apples.  I've played Scattergories and Balderdash with a couple of them.  

The teens usually default to Apples to Apples and Mao, but that's all I know for them.

My kidlet and her friends still love Twister!  An oldie, but a goodie.  Also, they like Tsuro - it's a path-building game.  Easy to learn, and fun to play.  

In my husband's family, Twister! tournaments still happen often. (Usually complete with my MIL reminding all that flexibility can be useful in life.) 

Crappy Birthday uses the same mechanic as Apples to Apples, but the idea of picking bad (not all are bad most are just strange) bday gifts for one of the group can be very funny. This game is easily played by all ages and it's not intimidating in any way. 

Faux-caubulary has the same sense of humor and the same mechanic. Players use word fragments to create words to match a definition. It can get pretty crazy. 

Wise and Otherwise is a step up in complexity. It's similar to Balderdash, but players complete proverbs and then vote on which is the correct proverb. This can be very fun and creative, but some people are always better at this than others (whereas Crappy Bday, Apples to Apples, and Faux-cabulary are all so simple no one ever feels out-done). 

Pit is an older game, but another one which even non-gamers seem to feel comfortable with. The competitive 'everyone is better than me' disappears. Plus, it's noisy and has a bell. Players try to trade their hands so that they have all one commodity before anyone else does. A similar, but quieter, trading game is Bohnanza. Players take turns planting fields of beans and trading away excess bean types. This works well because every player is involved trading with the person who's turn it is, but there's much less chaos than something like Pit. 

Other possibilities: 

Saboteur is an easy card laying game. Players are dwarves digging toward treasure cards. You hold a handful of different tunnels and try to get to the gold first. The twist of the game is that one (or several) players is a saboteur trying to subtly (or not so subtly) stop the others before the cards run out. This is more fun with more players (and therefore more saboteurs) because players have to be somewhat cooperative to win. If the teens like the idea of a saboteur there are several other similar games of varying complexity. Werewolf. Resistance. These tend to be more group psychology/deductive games.

I'm also a big fan of Dixit (Dixit Odyssey allows the most players), but it takes a creative group (players have to take an unusually illustrated card and then abstract it in some way (word, phrase, song) which will get across to some but not all of the other players. It's not easy, but it is interesting. People have to be willing to fail because some things fail spectacularly and others are weirdly successful. A real Rorschach of a game. Hanabi is another game which can be very fun in a group but takes a flexible, creative group. It's a bit like uno, but players can't see their hand. Players have to give each other clues about what is available in their hand so they can move the piles forward. Hints can get really creative with the right group (or everyone gets really frustrated).