Menu

I must know from those who have ditched cable......

Susan C.

How far out are you?

We had to end up buying a long range antenna with an amplifier in order to get TV stations and we had to mount it on the roof.  ANytihng less than that (not high enough, no amplifier, lesser antenna) and we get nothing.

Dawn

Sorry, we're no help.  We have a fancy antenna/digital receiver thing.  Have you tried one?  With a regular antenna we used to get two or three channels, but with this thing we get over twenty.  I feel like I'm cheating saying we don't have cable because with this thing, it's almost like we do. ;)

We didn't watch it because we're not football people (I only even knew who was playing because my sister was here on Saturday). But we actually do have an antenna outside that connects to our TV with a long cord. Haven't tried it in years (it's just easier to watch things online, even if that means a day later), but it gets a couple of channels, I think. If we really cared about the SB, we'd have probably gone to a friend's house.

Yes, flat is good.  We live on a huge hill/valley, and get nothing with an indoor antenna, well, we get three channels that go in and out, in and out, completely unwatchable signal.

With the rooftop we were able to get it as high as possible and now have signal.  We too have to have an amplifier or we get nothing.

Our rooftop cost more than $50, but it is hooked up through the cable lines to 4 TVs throughout the house.

Dawn

I bought a nice antenna/amplifier and we get a lot of stations! Flat is good- with hills the signal gets blocked. We paid over $50 but well worth it.

Most sports do not stream live.  This is a consideration.  We never found a good option for regular season football (pro and college) and Nascar.  If someone has found a good option, I'd love to hear it.  My husband would just go to a friends or the sports bar if there was a game he wanted to watch. 

We watch a lot of things streaming too. We have an amazing cable modem hook up.

ETA - the basic channels are included with our cable modem FTR. We do not have "cable" channels though. We just get local channels included with our internet access. We also have apple TV.

Get friendly with people who throw a Super Bowl party  :thumbup1:

Take another look at antennas; they have some really good ones now, and flat is a big positive. You may have to pay what seems like a lot for one that works for you, but likely not more than a month or two of cable.

If you are an avid sports fan who wants to watch games weekly, it might be tough if you don't at least have an antenna. If it's more occasional, you can make a lot of trips to sports bars for less than what cable costs.  And we keep saying sports bars, but many (if not most) restaurants have TVs in at least some areas - I personally hate this, but it's handy for watching games. 

I just remembered I posted this, look at Halcyon's thread to know why that would be :D

Foxsports.com streaming

On the 21" computer monitor.

How did that look? OK further down thread, it looks like NOT HD (boo hiss).

Fox streaming.

The downside was that we didn't get ALL of the commercials the broadcast did, but we got some good ones.

OOOO, another thumbs down... dh is "ad man."

Or go to any pub or sports-friendly restaurant in America!

Well, not sure any were open, this place rolls over and dies at 8 pm!!

How far out are you?

We had to end up buying a long range antenna with an amplifier in order to get TV stations and we had to mount it on the roof.  ANytihng less than that (not high enough, no amplifier, lesser antenna) and we get nothing.

Dawn

Nearest small city, 50 miles, in another state, 80 miles in state.

The game was available online, and my kids and their friends somehow hooked up a computer to a tv and watched it on the tv. 

My guys went to a friend's house to watch the World Series, which would have been an option for the Super Bowl, too.

Was it choppy? Anywhere near HD quality?

I had planned to stream it to our TV via Apple TV, but I watched a few minutes and decided not to bother.

Yes, it was a bloodbath..... but Seattle did a fine job, I'm glad I watched!

We watch a lot of things streaming too. We have an amazing cable modem hook up.

ETA - the basic channels are included with our cable modem FTR. We do not have "cable" channels though. We just get local channels included with our internet access. We also have apple TV.

Our cable company has this, but get this.... it isn't HD!!!

Thanks everyone!

We don't follow sports so it has never come up.

But, when my football (british, so soccer) loving (now ex) bil wanted to watch the world cup he just went to a sports bar. He had a fantastic time. He made all kinds of friends and really liked it. He said it was more fun that being at home.

If I had to watch it we could have offered to bring food/beer/brownies to any number of friends places.

Sorry, we're no help.  We have a fancy antenna/digital receiver thing.  Have you tried one?  With a regular antenna we used to get two or three channels, but with this thing we get over twenty.  I feel like I'm cheating saying we don't have cable because with this thing, it's almost like we do. ;)

I bought a nice antenna/amplifier and we get a lot of stations! Flat is good- with hills the signal gets blocked. We paid over $50 but well worth it.

We have a really big antenna in our attic, and I think it has an amplifier.

OK tell me more! Ds just said the 50 mile away city has a very powerful signal, and towers are about 35 miles away. Is it HD quality?

ADDING: And.. we get terrible lightning storms here, in fact, we got hit a few years ago here (and in the last state we lived in...). Don't want the tv's hooked to the lightning rod..... and I can't have an antenna on the roof because of the HOA.

Was it choppy? Anywhere near HD quality?

I think we had to refresh twice. Not terrible for that amount of time.

We hooked dd's laptop up to our new 49" smart tv.  I'm really not an expert on the whole HD/non-HD difference, but dh did comment that it looked terrific. (He's also the one that felt we needed a freakin' 49" tv in our itty bitty house @@.)

We're not sports people. However, there are two TV events that we refuse to miss each year: the Tony Awards and the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade. I just call the cable company and have the cheapest option turned on for a month each time. We watch the event we care about, watch enough other shows to remind us of why we don't care about keeping cable, then cancel it again.

It saves us a few hundred dollars a year, and we truly don't miss it.

We're not sports people. However, there are two TV events that we refuse to miss each year: the Tony Awards and the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade. I just call the cable company and have the cheapest option turned on for a month each time. We watch the event we care about, watch enough other shows to remind us of why we don't care about keeping cable, then cancel it again.

It saves us a few hundred dollars a year, and we truly don't miss it.

Thanks for reminding me that I love the Grammies!!  And the Rose Bowl Parade! And the Macy's parade.... And, in this small town.... there is a horrific disconnect and reconnect charge... and only one cable company! Great idea, would have worked somewhere else.

OK tell me more! Ds just said the 50 mile away city has a very powerful signal, and towers are about 35 miles away. Is it HD quality?

ADDING: And.. we get terrible lightning storms here, in fact, we got hit a few years ago here (and in the last state we lived in...). Don't want the tv's hooked to the lightning rod..... and I can't have an antenna on the roof because of the HOA.

We get some HD channels, some not.  All the digital channels come in very clearly, though.

We have some kind of Philips amplified antenna thing, and we just set it on our entertainment center.  We occasionally have to turn it a bit to get a particular channel to come in, but for what little we watch network tv, it's definitely worth saving the money on cable.  I think it was seventy or eighty bucks new, but that was a few years back.