Menu

Thanks!

Amira

Mine wasn't because of vomiting or diarrhea, so maybe this won't apply ... but just to throw it out there: when I was rehydrated via IV, I was sent home soon after, and did not have to stay overnight.  

(Mine was due to ongoing medical treatments that can cause dehydration.)

The Army let me go back to duty ASAP (ie. as soon as they took it out.  no bed rest, no hospital, no nothing)  We were in the field and it was definitely food poisoning.

The local hospital let me go after a few hours.  Nothing happens in the ER in less than a few hours.  It was some virus.

ETA: The effect was almost instantaneous.

I spent several hours at what was my HMOs urgent center and went home. Another time under other insurance I spencer several hours in an ER and went home. I felt so much when I had IV fluids. My dehydration was related to pregnancy extreme morning sickness (all day long sickness) present with each pregnancy.

I've been in the ER for fluids for a GI issue, unexplained dehydration that caused issues with my heart rate, and morning sickness. I felt immediately better with the IV each time. I have often thought that they wait too long to used IV rehydration in this country because it really makes people feel better and I believe it speeds up recovery.

I've been rehydrated twice by IV.  While it doesn't get rid of whatever is making you sick, you do feel tons better almost immediately.  Both times, I drove myself home within a couple of hours of arriving at the doctor's office/ER.

Just saw that you were admitted.  I hope you are feeling better soon!

Specifically because of severe vomiting or diarrhea, how long after you got the IV did you start to feel better? Did you need to stay in the hospital for a while (barring other issues), or is it possible to get rehydrated and sent home right after? I'm asking about adults, not children.

Thanks!

Pretty much right away.  The hydration was an in-office procedure. I sat and read why they filled me up with fluids. as long as you don't KEEP vomitting/diarrhea, I see no reason you wouldn't feel better right away.

(ours was due to Norovirus. Husband got rehydrated one day and took me in the next.)

My worst experience was in Venezuela, in  1991.  I was in a hotel, ate a Club House Sandwich they made for me in the Snack Bar, between the pool and the beach, and they put Mayonnaise on it . Well, apparently the temperature of the Mayonnaise was not correct...

During the middle of the night, I became violently ill.   That morning, I went to the E.R. in a local hospital and a very young doctor (female) took care of me. I wanted to go back to my hotel, because I was on a ticket that was severely restricted and was scheduled to go back to the states 1 or 2 days later.  She was not concerned about my airline ticket. After a number of hours in the E.R., she had me checked into a private room and an Internal Medicine guy took over. I had an I.V. in me for more than 24 hours there. I believe that had she let me out of there, I wouldn't have survived. I think the bill in that hospital was about USD$135, total and that was an upscale private hospital. 

And, yes, once or twice here, I've gone into the E.R. and they put an I.V. into me, for an hour or two. I remember the last time, years ago, the E.R. doctor in charge of me that day was also a woman, she let me go home, but she told me to eat one or two Bananas, to raise my Potassium level. People can die from those experiences. I heard of a man in Bogota, who did die, because of his Potassium level...