Menu

Would you use a Hooter Hider? (yes, this is for real!)

Is this partly a regional issue? Where I live it never gets really hot, (except for today!) so I have never felt my child was suffocating under a cover. The majority of moms at my church use them and they are often requested as gifts. I love the colorful fabric.

By the way, the same company makes the Hooter Hider and the Bebe Au Lait. They are exactly the same, they just started making some with the more discreet label.

Anyway, I love my Hooter Hider (mines has the BAL label) ! I think the name is hilarious and I don't have any sensitivity attached to that word, but I think it's fine that some ladies do.

I'm really surprised at how critical many of you are sounding. Like a previous poster, I don't like to show my baby belly rolls and I've never been able to not have my n*pples show. I like the coverage. By no means do I think of myself as a subpar nursing mom. In fact, the cover gives me the confidence to nurse whenever my baby needs it.

We're done with that phase, but if we weren't I would definitely try it. I'm another one who didn't care if someone knows I'm nursing but I did like some coverage--I felt that it could be a stumbling block for some if the blanket got yanked off and I preferred not to go there. Plus, by the time I had #3 and #4 we were never out for very long and it was easier for me to just nurse in the car--the kids were buckled in and I could turn on the radio. :) And I didn't like using a blanket much anyway--I had a biter and I liked to watch them so I could pull them off when they got distracted.:001_huh: So something like this would be nice, I think.:001_smile:

I have a couple of friends that have used them and they always seem like a pop tent. :D I used my sling because 1) I could nurse unobtrusively; 2) it was comfy and warm for baby; 2) baby would nurse and fall asleep during church, the meeting, the homeschool class. I could walk and nurse if I was in the grocery or doing errands.

I would HIGHLY recommend investing in several nursing tanks. Those made nursing in public absolutely manageable. When you pull your outer shirt up, the tank covers your midriff. No more bare backs!

HTH and many blessings. And despite all of the good advice you're getting, use what works!

Lisa

I remember him taking the three older boys (our oldest had just turned 2 and the twins were 7-8 months) to give me a chance to shower. He came home with the boys smiling. He'd given our phone number to every nursing mom in the park (some of whom I'm still friends with!). I remember at the time being sort of horrified. Now, I look back on it and get a huge smile on my face.

:001_huh::lol: What a guy!

Lisa

On the topic of nursing without exposing the belly, I made my own nursing t's and tanks. I don't sew, so I just bought super cheap tight tanks (undershirts, really) and cut slits in them. Then I wore one under whatever I was wearing, so I could pull it up and not have my belly show.

SOmetimes at home I would walk around in just the cut up tank tops and DH would practically howl with laughter. They did look awfully funny.

My friend brings her baby to work, and nurses in a semi-public area. She likes this type of cover because she can still see her baby, her baby can see her face, and no one else can see what's going on in there.

Yes, the cover makes it obvious that she's nursing. But if she was just nursing discretely people will come over and want to see the baby- she would never get the baby properly fed. Also, the baby is not as easily distracted by what's going on around him, because he can only see mom. If she used a blanket to cover, she would not be able to make eye contact with the baby.

I think it makes sense in my friend's situation to use a cover.

• 3 years later...

Nope.

One of my favorite pictures is one that dh took while I was nursing the babe in a museum, in front of a picture of a nursing Madonna. I feel like I nursed that baby all over the world and the only place I was ever told to cover up was in an empty food court at a military base. :glare: That didn't go over so well. I'm not an exhibitionist, but I'm not going to try to hide it, either.

ETA: Oh, heck, this thread is 4 years old! Sorry!

NO, heck no! I tried one once and it just ANNOUNCES that you are nursing and makes MORE people stare. Shoot, if I want people to look away, I'll just whip out my entire breast and that will scare people off! (I've never done that, btw....just lift the shirt and nurse)

I'm puzzled by the comments about how "it's obvious what you're doing" or about how moms who wear one shouldn't be so ashamed... honestly, for me it was an easy way to be sure I wasn't showing skin, not a way to hide the fact that I was feeding my baby. Anyone who wants to can know what I'm doing. :D

I bought something similar off of etsy for my first, but she hated it or anything else covering up her face. (Who can blame her?) I also had overactive letdown with her, so she would pop off all the time. That made it so there was just no way to avoid showing too much if I nursed in public, so I often nursed in the car when the weather was nice (which I actually loved -- it was quiet, private, clean, and comfortable) or just found a quiet room (but never a bathroom) to nurse in.

I still had the cover around when ds was born, and he was fine with it. I loved being able to nurse the baby right where I was without even having to think about being discrete! Unfortunately if ds needed to nurse *and* sleep, he needed a very quiet place, and I did end up resorting to bathrooms in the summertime when the car was not an option. Yuck. But just to feed him in a restaurant when it was his mealtime, too... that was lovely. :-)

Nursing clothing was helpful when I was nursing somewhere with less than 100% privacy. I've used both nursing shirts and belly bands and I find the belly bands make for less fuss, but the nursing shirts are easier to use when baby is in a carrier.

ETA: Oh, wow, this really is an old thread. :-P

Edited by cottonmama

Few things in life fill me with a greater spirit of joy and happiness than seeing a mother nursing her infant child.

I've never encountered a more demanding feeder than my son in his infancy, so my wife was nursing almost constantly. And I was so proud of her for not holding back when we were out in public.

I never found it difficult for her to be "discreet", but even it it wasn't, I see no shame in this loving act.

Bill

Rah, Rah for Bill! Where is the cheerleading smilie when we need one?

I like it when dads stand up for nursing moms.

As for me, I always had to go somewhere private because my squirrly little babies would not allow ANYTHING to touch their face while nursing...not even my shirt. GRRRRR...It was a battle of the wills that I was either going to lose or end up with some very angry, upset babes trying to win it and well, I just let them have their way. So, I usually used dressing rooms at places like JcPenney's and the like. I never had any store that refused the use of one and most attendants would bring a chair for me if there wasn't a bench available in the dressing room. At church, they always had a nice place off the nursery, three privacy screens and three very plush rocking chairs for us to relax in and the service piped in quietly. Loved it.

Discrete - not my kids! :glare: And they never would have tolerated the "Hooter Hider" since they wouldn't tolerate my own shirt.

Faith

I have nursed 6 babies, 2 while doing public presentations, and have never used a hooter hider, blanket, etc. I agree with PP, I like to see my babies while they are nursing. I also feel that it would get hot under there. I have had many folks think that babe was just napping in my arms and come over to rub his/her back or head, lol.

I'm really surprised at how critical many of you are sounding. Like a previous poster, I don't like to show my baby belly rolls and I've never been able to not have my n*pples show. I like the coverage. By no means do I think of myself as a subpar nursing mom. In fact, the cover gives me the confidence to nurse whenever my baby needs it.

Well, I see now this is an old thread, but...

I think for me part of the issue is that I think the need to totally avoid having anything show is part of a bigger problem. I understand feeling that wy, and I've felt that way, but I think it is a cultural change that came after formula became popular, and I don't think it is a good cultural change. I think it relates to over-sexualizing the body and I think it contributes to poor nursing rates.

Even 100 years ago moms feeding babies quite openly was common in mixed society in North America. A lot of people don't realize that, and they associate nursing moms with giant underwear ads and hooters girls and such. But no one felt that way in the past, nursing openly wasn't "indiscreet" and they didn't have our insane obsession with sex either.

So its natural that we feel the need to be discreet, but I think we'd actually be better off - and more modest really - if we normalized public breastfeeding. And I am wary of the effect of hotter hiders. On the one hand maybe some moms feel comfortable coming out when otherwise they would stay home or use a bottle. On the other hand, they seem to buy into the whole "breasts are private only and breastfeeding therefore is private only" mentality.

I have a friend that prefers hooter hiders. That is fine if it makes her feel comfortable (it does). It made ME feel very UNcomfortable though (and I think I'm just as entitled to feel that way as she was to feel the opposite). I received more stares with it than without it. It was like wearing a sign that said, "hey, look at me! I'm nursing!" to have this "bib" or "cape" on (seen them both ways), instead of just discreetly lifting my top, latching baby, and letting it go at that. It's not a cut down to anyone that likes them, but for myself, no. On top of that, I don't like them because it implies that our society has an issue with a nursing child in public and that women should feel ashamed, yes. Generally, it is larger breasted women that I've seen reach for these types of items and I've had some of them confide in me that it is because of their size, embarrassment, or they have become so insecure in their body type while growing up, that they don't feel they can nurse in public without one. THAT societal message I DO have a problem with.

I got one under the renamed Bebe au lait. Same company, they just realized that some people didn't like the name.

For me it was a game changer and allowed me to nurse longer. My dd would not just latch on, so I would feed her first and then top up with a bottle.

With the cover, I could get my whole b00k out underneath, and I could see what I was doing to keep her going. Yes every one knew what I was doing, but this was the way that worked for me to be able to keep trying to bf and not be tied to the house. (We are talking about latch, suck 15 times, before latching for 2-3 min.)

ETA: Arghhhh, I got caught in an old thread!

Edited by Northwest_Mama
old thread

Well, I see now this is an old thread, but...

I think for me part of the issue is that I think the need to totally avoid having anything show is part of a bigger problem. I understand feeling that wy, and I've felt that way, but I think it is a cultural change that came after formula became popular, and I don't think it is a good cultural change. I think it relates to over-sexualizing the body and I think it contributes to poor nursing rates.

Even 100 years ago moms feeding babies quite openly was common in mixed society in North America. A lot of people don't realize that, and they associate nursing moms with giant underwear ads and hooters girls and such. But no one felt that way in the past, nursing openly wasn't "indiscreet" and they didn't have our insane obsession with sex either.

So its natural that we feel the need to be discreet, but I think we'd actually be better off - and more modest really - if we normalized public breastfeeding. And I am wary of the effect of hotter hiders. On the one hand maybe some moms feel comfortable coming out when otherwise they would stay home or use a bottle. On the other hand, they seem to buy into the whole "breasts are private only and breastfeeding therefore is private only" mentality.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I wouldn't use one, they draw more attention than a nursing shirt.

If a nursing mom wants to use one, that's fine with me.

The name H-hider rubs me the wrong way for some reason. I'd sew one before I'd buy one.

:iagree: exactly

I feel far too obvious/on-display using a nursing bib. A blanket or nothing at all is my preferred method.

Grrr... Just realized how old this thread is. Sorry!

Edited by LibertyH

Wow, this is an old thread LOL!!

I currently use a Hooter Hider.....LOVE it. I don't care that it calls more attention to the fact that I'm nursing. I'm not trying to hide the fact that I'm nursing. I'm trying to hide my boob LOL. My little nursling practically turns somersaults while she nurses and she's be showing me boobs to the world LOL.

I never used one with my younger son. They were not out when my oldest was born but they were everywhere when my younger son was nursing. Frankly, I think it looks like a big "hey there, I am breastfeeding" sign. I always found it was more discreet and easier withOUT a cover, provided I was wearing a nursing top or a baby sling. So many people never even knew what was going on. I don't like the implication that nursing moms need to hide behind a cover.

Edited by kijipt

I use one all the time when I am out - and so does every other nursing mother I know. Some will use a blanket if they forgot it. I have never seen anyone in public nurse while having a baby in a sling or pulling up their shirt. Causing attn to oneself with the cover is not a big deal to me. I'm not embarrassed by what I am doing and I would rather be covered and have the baby feel free to move around and go on and off w/o me flashing the world each time.