Menu

Which would you rather have a beautiful farm sink or a nice undermount double sink?

lynn

Since I don't like the look of farm sinks of any size, I wouldn't choose that. I'm really liking our single large basin undermount in this house, but that's only because we're lucky enough to have a dishwasher. If I'm handwashing, I much prefer a double sink.

To me, it would depend on what type of house you have, I strongly dislike the look of farm sinks in most suburban homes. I've seen some that matched the overall feel in a farm house (painted cabinets, country decor, nongranite countertops). And I suppose the size is useful on a farm. I've also seen a couple of polished metal ones that looked okay in what might be considered a contemporary kitchen (stained cabinets, granite countertops) or industrial looking kitchen. I find the inclusion of a white farm sink into a modern decor kind of odd. If you want to know what is popular with buyers in your area, or for your style home, you could ask a realtor.

I have a large, deep, single kitchen sink, with the drain in the upper left corner.  It's the best of both worlds.  I can use it as a large single bowl sink when I want (like for washing big pans), or put in a basin/dishpan to get the double sink effect.  Having the drain in the corner means I can put the basin to one side, and still have access to the drain for rinsing on the other side.  I've had it for 16 years, and wouldn't change a thing.  

I have a chocolate colored granite composite sink that I love. It's a double which I appreciate when washing dishes.

I have seen buyer clients drool over a pretty farm sink with oil rubbed bronze fixtures....it fit the house as well....a country cottage type.

Do what makes YOUR heart happy.

You could go for an undermount single basin.  I have one for the clean-up sink in my kitchen, and it's awesome.  I have had no issues with my undermount sinks, so maybe my magic scrub brush I clean it with daily is more magical than I knew?  :D

Seriously, you can install whatever you want because the next person may just RIP IT OUT.  We redid the kitchen at our previous house, and the next people came in, covered over the beautiful wallpaper, and put up PANELING.  Paneling was what we had gotten rid of in the first place!!!   :svengo:   Some people are such hicks.  Whatever.  So no, I wouldn't chose based on some future occupant.  They may hate everything you chose anyway.  Do something sensible you like, and it will be fine.  A single bowl is sensible.  :D

I hate my double sink.  I can't fit larger items in there easily.  I would love a very large sink.

People. :)  I hear that you hate your tiny double sinks.  But if someone is redoing their kitchen, they don't have to buy a tiny double sink.  There are big double sinks!  I have a double sink that is very deep and large enough for my 12" iron skillet to lay flat in the bottom, including its handle, my 10qt stockpot fits in there under the spout with lots of room to spare, and the other side is big enough to fit a standard dish drainer.  The drain in the larger basin is offset. I like this, as then I don't have to use counter space for drying dishes (or more often pots) I've hand-washed.  Yes, you need a larger base cabinet than what your tiny sink is in, but you'd need that for a farm sink too, no?

I think most agree: get a big, deep sink.  The style and how many basins is a separate question.

I didn't think OP was asking about single vs. double basin anyway, but farm style vs. undermount?  Both of those come in single and double, I thought?  And the OP's question is hard for me to answer without knowing the style of the rest of the kitchen. :)

As you can see, there's a variety of preferences.  It also depends on your kitchen design and counters. You should just get what you like, even if you will sell in a couple of years. 

Personally, I prefer a single-basin undermount in stainless steel. I was worried that a white farmhouse sink would be harder to keep clean.

I had to google "farm sink" because I really didn't know what you were talking about. I don't like the look of the farm sinks. That said, I don't like double sinks, even deep ones. Give me one big, deep normal sink and I'd be happy.

I like a divided sink. If you often have something thawing or waiting to be washed, processed, whatever in one side of the sink while still being able to use the other side of the sink, you may want to see if there are farm sinks that are divided. If this means nothing to you and you like the farm sink, go for it. I like how deep they are but does that mean you are hunching over to reach the bottom or do they just look deeper than regular sinks?

For looks and charm I love the farm sinks.  For usability/functionality we purchased an undermount sink when we redid our kitchen just a few years ago.  We are very happy with it, but I do still love the look of the farm sinks!

ETA: I replied before reading any posts.  I wasn't aware there was a one basin vs two discussion.  I despise double sinks so would never put one in.  I thought farm sinks were those with a front apron...as far as I knew they could be one basin or two.

People. :) I hear that you hate your tiny double sinks. But if someone is redoing their kitchen, they don't have to buy a tiny double sink. There are big double sinks! I have a double sink that is very deep and large enough for my 12" iron skillet to lay flat in the bottom, including its handle, my 10qt stockpot fits in there under the spout with lots of room to spare, and the other side is big enough to fit a standard dish drainer. The drain in the larger basin is offset. I like this, as then I don't have to use counter space for drying dishes (or more often pots) I've hand-washed. Yes, you need a larger base cabinet than what your tiny sink is in, but you'd need that for a farm sink too, no?

I think most agree: get a big, deep sink. The style and how many basins is a separate question.

I didn't think OP was asking about single vs. double basin anyway, but farm style vs. undermount? Both of those come in single and double, I thought? And the OP's question is hard for me to answer without knowing the style of the rest of the kitchen. :)

I agree. I have a very large (and deep) double sink that I LOVE.

I have the double basin apron front sink from Ikea (DOMSJÖ model). I love it! We use one side for washing, the other for air drying. It is big and deep enough to fit my largest pans for washing and is fairly easy to care for and keep clean. For me it's the perfect mix of affordability, form, and function.

We remodeled our kitchen last year, and I love my composite granite, single basin undermount sink. I like the look of it and the fact that I can fit my large cookie sheets, roasting pan, etc., in the bottom. I could fit a plastic dish pan into it if I wanted to be able to wash a few dishes and thaw a chicken or something, but it hasn't been an issue for me.

I like the idea of one large sink, although I have never had one (yet). But I'm answering your post simply to say that I hope to never, ever have a white sink again (like I do now). No matter what, it almost never looks clean. Sigh.

Mine is white.  I just spray it with bleach once a week and it almost always looks clean right after.  And I'm pretty abusive of it.  It does get discolored pretty quick, but I don't even scrub it and the bleach makes it better.  Here's hoping your solution is that simple too!

I have a big farm sink, but I live in a farmhouse.  It has been there for a looooong time, so it is what it is.  That said... I hate it.  I hate porcelain sinks.  I would love to have a stainless steel sink again.  That was so much easier to care for and keep looking perfect. 

We remodeled our kitchen last year, and I love my composite granite, single basin undermount sink. I like the look of it and the fact that I can fit my large cookie sheets, roasting pan, etc., in the bottom. I could fit a plastic dish pan into it if I wanted to be able to wash a few dishes and thaw a chicken or something, but it hasn't been an issue for me.

I have a composite granite single undermount, too.

FWIW, to those who prefer a second bowl so you can keep one side "dirty" and one clean, mine has a raised lip on the right side. It allows me to put a couple of things aside, even while I wash other things. 

This is the one I have: http://www.homeperfect.com/blanco-440065-performa-silgranit-ii-cascade-super-single-bowl-undermount-sink-in-biscuit-515-554.html

~L