Menu

medical alert bracelet?

HollyDay

Due to a recent change in health and a medication I need to take, I should wear a medical alert bracelet or necklace.  The only ones I've seen have been at the drug store and they are more functional than pretty or comfortable.  Any suggestions on where to get one?  Will it come already engraved (I'm not sure where I would take one to get it engraved). 

Thanks,

We got a great one from Road ID for my disabled daughter. We bought the interactive version, so I can keep it updated with the most current medications, etc. They have a lot of different looks and colors and you can personalize the engravings to say what you need. Additionally, you can buy extra little metal bands to go on either side of your identification plate for different things. We have a medical symbol on one side and a little custom band that says "seizures" on the other side. Decent prices for what you are getting as well.

I like Road ID. It's attractive enough but clearly is a medical bracelet. I have seen some bracelets and necklaces that are so pretty that the medical part isn't obvious.  I wear a medal that says I'm a Catholic and to call a priest but I have wondered if  in an emergency anyone would notice it.  

I got my son one from http://www.medicalert.org/  first a bracelet, then he decided he would rather wear a dog tag.  It comes engraved, and you can tweak the info on-line to reflect changes in meds, doctors, contact info, etc ( the dog tag has basic info AND your i.d. number with the company so when emergency folks contact them Medic Alert can easily look you up and relay info, contact a loved one for you, etc.)  It costs $50 a year now, plus the initial cost of whatever style dogtag or bracelet you get.

http://www.americanmedical-id.com/

Here's where we've gotten ours.

I have read that bracelets are more likely to be looked at in case of emergency than necklaces (forget where that study was).

If you happen to see the study please post. I was thinking a necklace would be more discreet and less likely to be played with a fidget by a child.

I have been debating on getting one of the USB bracelets for DS. His medications change too frequently for me to afford to have a band engraved. I am just so overwhelmed by all the options that I have not done anything.

I have one of these, was prepared to love it... And then my mom, an ER nurse, told me that they aren't allowed to use outside USB devices in case they have a virus or something. I called my local hospital, and sure enough, they won't use them.

They do have services that you have a number on them to call and they have up to date info.

For prettiness, though, I love Lauren's hope and their customer service is amazing.

DS wears medic alert, and I just renewed his membership and had new engraving done as his needs have changed.  I had no idea what to put on his dog tags, but they were incredibly helpful.

A membership is so useful - I like that they have DS's medical info and doc's on file, so all that info is only a phone call away for the health care providers.

For me, I've used Lauren's Hope in the past, but will probably switch to medic alert - because my health info is tricky enough that a membership would be a good idea also.

I have been debating on getting one of the USB bracelets for DS. His medications change too frequently for me to afford to have a band engraved. I am just so overwhelmed by all the options that I have not done anything.

I do not know how other companies handle it, but with Medic Alert the medication info etc. can be updated on-line.  The dog tag has name, Medic Alert contact info, and notes major stuff like diabetes, autism, etc.  First responders are trained to look for the tag and contact the company for updated info on meds, doctors, etc. 

I believe there is room on the actual tag, too, for major allergies.

Due to a recent change in health and a medication I need to take, I should wear a medical alert bracelet or necklace.  The only ones I've seen have been at the drug store and they are more functional than pretty or comfortable.  Any suggestions on where to get one?  Will it come already engraved (I'm not sure where I would take one to get it engraved). 

Thanks,

OP, I don't have any info for you but I do have :grouphug: I remember some of your recent health threads and I hope everything has been figured out and that you're on the mend.

People with certain medical conditions wear medical IDs to alert emergency medical professionals in an emergency. The following are good reasons to wear a medical ID:

• Food, Drug or Insect allergies
  • Cardiac problems (angina,arrhythmias,atrial fibrillation,pacemakers)
  • Pulmonary Conditions(Asthma/COPD)
  • Kidney Failure
  • Diabetes, blood disorders
  • Alzheimer's/Memory Impairment
  • Blood thinners/ Anticoagulants (Coumadin/Warfarin)
  • Emphysema/Breathing disorders
  • Rare diseases
  • Epilepsy/Seizure disorder
  • Hearing, sight or mentally impaired
  • Surgery, transplant and cancer patients
  • Clinical trial participants
  • Special needs children
  • Hypertension
  • Stroke risk
  • Sickle Cell Anemia
  • People taking multiple medicines
  • Anemia
  • Tourette Syndrome

Some order medical IDs engraved with their blood type, online health records and contact information.

Found http://www.americanmedical-id.com/about_us/frequent.php

In my case DS is getting older and I am not always at hand. If something happens medical personal need to know about his medications and medical conditions and consult his doctors to provide appropriate treatment. 

Another person who uses Medic Alert...I like the easy of having everything online but the important stuff is on her bracelet (ASD, epilepsy, food allergy)...all her meds are listed if they call...I did find that we use to get the sports band one...but it didn't stay on so dd now has the old fashioned metal one because it is harder for her to take off.

I have used Sticky Jewelry for my last few ID purchases. You can buy standard bracelets or engrave your own thing. Many of their bracelets are designed to clip in and out of the metal ID tag, which is what I like about them.  They also have some choices that are more "fashionable" but have a visible medical alert symbol on them.  I don't necessarily think they will help the OP, but I haven't searched through what they have for more complicated information (they may carry the kind of info you store in the bracelet) and I also wanted to share with anyone else reading. They ran some  40% off sales around December last year for folks on their email lists, so I stocked up for my daughter and I, including buying the metal ID parts alone so we could make some custom bracelets. 

I bought my girls and my sister Road IDs for Christmas. My girls just for ID when they are out riding their bikes or when they are doing triathlons, and one for my sister more for medic-alert. They have several different styles, and since my sister does not like to wear a bracelet, she opted for an anklet style.

Update:

I want to thank everyone for the info!!!  I chose RoadID and ordered dog tags and a slim fit bracelet.  The dog tags will have the medical alert sign engraved on the front and I'll wear a red silencer.  The bracelet will have a medical alert badge.

I chose RoadID for the price, speed of engraving, amount of engraving, and great customer service.  It should arrive early next week!

Update:

I want to thank everyone for the info!!! I chose RoadID and ordered dog tags and a slim fit bracelet. The dog tags will have the medical alert sign engraved on the front and I'll wear a red silencer. The bracelet will have a medical alert badge.

I chose RoadID for the price, speed of engraving, amount of engraving, and great customer service. It should arrive early next week!

I'm glad you were able to find what you needed. :)

And here's hoping it's never needed!

Thank you!!!!  I absolutely agree.  Initially I was surprised that I should have one.  it is rare for me to be somewhere alone, without someone who would know I'm on medication.  But, I do walk everyday weather permits and I do errands or go to the library or some such by myself fairly often.  I'm feeling better as time goes on and I normalize on the beta blocker.  But, it gives me peace of mind knowing if something does happen, medical personal will know. 

I am ordering one for my peanut allergy/ashtma DS as he is starting to be out and about without me more.

Absolutely. His bracelet lists his food allergies and our cell phone numbers.

http://www.laurenshope.com/search/nut/4

Some of the nut allergy alerts at lauren's hope

Thanks for the responses and the link. It's not just nuts, unfortunately, so I think I'll have to call for a special order.