Menu

Best breakfast and supplements for focused minds?

My dd is going through a tremendous growth spurt.  She's also doing tons of long division, and both of my kids are rusty from our 3 week break.  My dd struggles with attention issues (constantly drifting off and daydreaming, gets bored easily, very creative kind)...

So today was probably the worst homeschool day I've ever had with her.  You would think Friday would have been, since that was our first day back.  But today, she was daydreaming/losing focus in between individual steps of her long division.  She was so squirrely the entire school day, up to and including after recess, and exercise.  

I'd like to know what foods and supplements you give your ADD kids to help them focus (or any kids)...m

If you are curious my dd had whole grain oatmeal with molasses, a glass of milk for breakfast.  She did not eat much of it because she dislikes oatmeal, so she probably didn't have enough food either.

I try to feed my kids protein for breakfast. We eat eggs a lot, or we eat foods that are not usually considered breakfast foods. Carbs for breakfast, even the ones we think of as "hearty" like oatmeal, never lead to a good morning around here.

As an aside, oatmeal made my stomach hurt when I was a kid so I never ate much of it.

I heard eggs are good for focus. My son's breakfast contains carbs (bread or soft bun), portien (egg or ham), fruit (half of pear or apple) and a cup of 1% organic milk. He takes his multi-vitamin with OPC before meal, take two fish oil gels (nordic naturals EPA) with meal and starting today we add one focus factor for kids after meal.

I never thought of giving young children coffee. Will hot chocolate work the same or add unsweeten chocolate powder to milk?

For us the issue is almost always diet. I have a gluten/dairy sensitive kid and see issues with concentration and behavior when he gets gluten or dyes. Academically his working level seems to be about 2 grades lower when he has these. This probably isn't your main issue since its not an on-going problem, but is something to keep in mind if you a looking for more radical solutions.

I agree with the others that a high protein breakfast helps and if DS seems tired or flakey a snack can help. A quick bit of something high carb like juice or an apple can help him refocus.

There was a craze for bananas for awhile because they were shown to help with short term focus.  Schools were giving all the kids bananas before big standardized tests.  I think the effect was pretty negligible though.  But bananas are good.

Mostly I second just getting a solid breakfast with protein.  Protein is left out of breakfast so often.

We skip sugar/carbs in the morning and just go with a couple of eggs.  Buck will also have a cup or two of coffee.  

To supplements, he takes a good fish oil.  It's supposed to be good for brain support but, if nothing else, fish oil is good for a lot of things, so it sure can't hurt.

Yep, eggs.  High-protein breakfast is essential, for mama, too!

Our first couple of years (4th & 5th grade), our salvation during the course of the morning was a piece of cheese.  It's amazing how getting that little fat/protein combo, and quickly easing hunger pangs, would settle her right down.  Now she snacks on her own if needed, often a large glass of milk.  

It's kind of like what SWB says in one of her talks:  if people are getting melty, try: 1) a snack, 2) a shower, 3) a nap.  The second two aren't so practical in the middle of school, but the first one always works!

Well, our breakfast this AM did not go well either. It was 2 quesadillas (one for mom) on a spelt tortilla with salsa and green onions, and decaf coffee.  Our usual best breakfast is almost this, but adds a scrambled egg with the cheese and salsa on the tortilla. The egg both adds protein and probably good type of cholesterol needed for the brain and is free ranged egg so it has some Omegas in it. It also is more filling.

My son loves oatmeal, but I think does not do so well on oatmeal days.  Too much carbs, not enough other things.

Protein, as others have mentioned, should be priority.

Sleep is key here. My son is a disaster if he's short on sleep, and it doesn't matter how early I start.

Pycnogenol has research support. http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00787-006-0538-3

We do this daily with my ADHD child, mostly because it helps with asthma too. I've felt it helps his ADHD a bit. But once we double dosed him. I wasn't aware, as it was a miscommunication between hubby and I. He could do all his work, including long division at the time which was a nightmare with his attention issues, quickly and without any redirection. I was flabbergasted. I've never seen it before or since with this child. That night I realized our mistake. A few days later I repeated the double dose, just to see, and it was again dramatic. I just do the regular dosing used in studies, but I do think this stuff works for my son! 

Oh. My. Goodness.  

I fed her two eggs, and a bowl of oatmeal with molasses (for iron), and a glass of milk.  I have never seen her concentrate so well.  Then, she didnt' want  a snack and I (stupid!) didn't push it.  SUre enough by 11:15 she was totally unable to concentrate.  She also needed some exercise of course.  So after a half hour of running outside and lunch, she was back on track.

I think the growth spurt is probably just accentuating a problem she already had.  Definitely going out to get more eggs later today!!!

Our tried and true focus breakfasts...

a pico de gallo omelette (or frittata) with avocado on the side (and honestly, any other kind of omelette or frittata)

sausage & sweet potato hash topped with an over easy egg (my favorite)

eggs (boiled, scrambled, over easy) with sausage and fruit

We do lots of smoothies for breakfast too, or for a snack if we had something else.

I have been wanting a good recipe for huevos rancheros if anyone has one!

If you want to incorporate eggs into your oatmeal...I have also stirred in a raw, beaten egg into my oatmeal shortly before I take it off the stove (you could do more than one, depending on how much oatmeal you have). The better you stir it, the fewer lumps/strings it has (blending it works great). Anyway it sort of disappears in there. 

Some dried fruit is a good iron source too, like apricots. And you can also top with nuts or seeds. Supposedly pumpkin seeds have iron. And dark chocolate! Mmmmm.

Oh. My. Goodness.  

I fed her two eggs, and a bowl of oatmeal with molasses (for iron), and a glass of milk.  I have never seen her concentrate so well.  Then, she didnt' want  a snack and I (stupid!) didn't push it.  SUre enough by 11:15 she was totally unable to concentrate.  She also needed some exercise of course.  So after a half hour of running outside and lunch, she was back on track.

I think the growth spurt is probably just accentuating a problem she already had.  Definitely going out to get more eggs later today!!!

I'm telling you, a slice of cheese at 11:00 will save the day!!  Or a smoothie, or a glass of milk and a banana.  It will totally change the world!

Shannon has grown 7" in the past year.  I'm not kidding.  That takes a *ton* of energy.  Weirdly, I still think of us as 2 adults and 2 kids, but for meal planning/grocery shopping/cooking purposes, we are definitely 3 adults.  She eats way more than I do, and more frequently.  We feel like we're living in the Zits comic strip.

Oh my goodness!!! 7 inches!! Yeah, so far my dd10 has grown 3 inches in 6 months!! She sometimes sleeps 12 hours!  Yes, smoothies, cheese, all those are good snacks I need to make her eat snacks.  But I think getting breakfast protein filled is the first step here.

Alta Vista, I totally want to eat breakfast at your house!!!

I took my DD 12 to a wellness doc for this very same thing about three weeks ago.  For now, we're doing no grain, no dairy, and no oats.  Breakfast is normally a fruit smoothie and either bacon or eggs.  Sometimes we use almond or rice milk.  No cow's milk unless you have access to raw milk.  Morning supplements are Tuna Oil and B12, along with some Probiotics for stomach issues.  HTH.

Our tried and true focus breakfasts...

a pico de gallo omelette (or frittata) with avocado on the side (and honestly, any other kind of omelette or frittata)

sausage & sweet potato hash topped with an over easy egg (my favorite)

eggs (boiled, scrambled, over easy) with sausage and fruit

We do lots of smoothies for breakfast too, or for a snack if we had something else.

I have been wanting a good recipe for huevos rancheros if anyone has one!

I'd like yours for sweet potato hash!

Our best breakfast from above is officially called Tex Mex eggs--don't know if that is close enough to huevos rancheros?

I'd like yours for sweet potato hash!

Our best breakfast from above is officially called Tex Mex eggs--don't know if that is close enough to huevos rancheros?

My "recipe" heeheehee... It is a non-recipe. I just do a big dice of a couple of sweet potatoes, brown them in a bit of coconut oil, then add 1 lb of bulk breakfast sausage (we prefer hot/spicy, pairs beautifully with the sweet potato) and cook until done and the sweet potatoes are cooked through. I scoop it into bowls and put an over easy egg on top. If you get the yolk just right, it makes a creamy-licious combo.

Now I feel bad because I want your recipe, and I bet it is an actual recipe! :lol:

It started as an actual recipe, but is basically now by touch and feel...    or to taste...  I should add that my ds whose recipe this has been does it egg by egg each like a mini omelette that fits the tortilla just so, and can make a gorgeous end product fit for a bed and breakfast, but I do as much as I can at once to save time.  

Put tortillas (we use organic spelt ones) in oven (wrapped in foil keeps them from drying out) to warm--about 1 tortilla per large egg-- meanwhile pan is heating with oil (coconut or olive work well) and you are also beating eggs along with small cut up pieces of green onion to taste, and whatever else you normally do for your scrambled eggs, such as a bit of water, milk or butter, (salt and pepper optional depending on what it will get from the cheese and salsa), put the egg mixture in pan and cook scrambled or omelette styled, meanwhile cutting or shredding cheese (organic raw cheddar seems to be esp. tasty), when egg is almost done add the cheese (okay that's what I do because it makes clean up easier, my ds actually likes to add it earlier so it gets cheese mixed throughout the egg). Take out the tortillas and put about one egg equiv on each tortilla, top generously with salsa to taste, then roll the tortilla up burrito style, or even prettier (but harder to eat) is let the egg mixture with salsa on top show.  I am a lets get it done and get on with the day type--but he is considering becoming a chef and likes to make it beautiful.  He also wants to make a kid cookbook and put this in, so I hope I haven't given away anything here that he'd not want me to. :)

Pancakes, Cream of Wheat, waffles, muffins, Rice Krispies -  all guaranteed meltdowns by 10:30a.m.

We absolutely have to have protein.  Eggs over toast, eggs scrambled with veggies and leftover fajita meat, Joe's Special eggs (ground beef, spinach, tomatoes,sauteed onions and garlic), Mommy's Mess (hashbrowns, low-fat turkey sausage, veggies, and eggs).

If we do have oatmeal, it is steel-cut and we have to have either a smoothie with protein powder or hard-boiled eggs with it.  Then we have to have a substantial protein snack mid-morning.

We cannot think in the morning with just a bowl of cereal.  It is a disaster waiting to happen.  Also, an immediate walk first thing after breakfast, then math first, then another break and snack.  From there, we could make it to lunch.  Otherwise, there would be no focus at all.  My dh is 6'8". My kids grew so fast, my poor dd has stretch marks on her back.  Ds (17) is 6'4", dd(15) is 5'10".  Protein is an absolute MUST!

We like sweet potato hashbrowns here and regular hashbrowns as well. I usually just shred white potatoes and fry in coconut oil and serve w/ eggs and bacon. I like sweet potatoes cubed though. I've been trying to  perfect my hash recipe, yesterday I boiled my cubed sweet potatoes and meanwhile in another pan I sauteed chopped onion and (nitrite free) bacon, once the onion was nice and carmelized I added in the sweet potato and cooked it until all the flavors melded together. It was absolutely delicious, roasted garlic would have made it perfect.  

The kids like veggie eggs, which is just sauteed veggies and scrambled eggs cooked together, sorry no fancy names here (I need better marketing). I also make a casserole w/ shredded potato/sweet potato, topped w/ eggs and veggies. Another favorite is egg muffins, put a piece of sausage(cooked) in a muffin cup and crack an egg on top, cook at 350 about 15 minutes (depending on size of egg and desired doneness)>

We like scrambled eggs w/ pico here as well. Dd2 and I like ours w/ guac or avocado but the others like theirs without. Dd2 and ds like "cheese eggs", omlette style eggs w/ cheese on top at the end so it melts. dd1 and I eat ours omlette style w/ veggies.

We do more protein than carbs for breakfast.  We also limit over all sugar through out the day.  We are also gluten free, but that's because I get very sick from gluten and my husband and kids get minor intestinal upset so we're all off.  Also, I'd caution you in using caffeine.  No need to start this addiction early in life! 

For focus we use a product called Maritime Pine Plus (with  Pycnogenol mentioned earlier in this thread).  I used a whole regimine found here for my aspie ds (there are also things for ADD... I have one of those too).  I cannot tell you how different he is.  He is still "himself" and we still have things to deal with, but he's functioning so much better.  If you're really interested I'd suggest ordering the CD's and listening.  In there she gives her whole protical.  Totally worth it here.  Just remember natural supplements take time... my ds was on the entire protocal for 3 mos.  You may just want to do the focus supplements and see how that goes.

Pancakes, Cream of Wheat, waffles, muffins, Rice Krispies -  all guaranteed meltdowns by 10:30a.m.

We absolutely have to have protein.  Eggs over toast, eggs scrambled with veggies and leftover fajita meat, Joe's Special eggs (ground beef, spinach, tomatoes,sauteed onions and garlic), Mommy's Mess (hashbrowns, low-fat turkey sausage, veggies, and eggs).

If we do have oatmeal, it is steel-cut and we have to have either a smoothie with protein powder or hard-boiled eggs with it.  Then we have to have a substantial protein snack mid-morning.

We cannot think in the morning with just a bowl of cereal.  It is a disaster waiting to happen.  Also, an immediate walk first thing after breakfast, then math first, then another break and snack.  From there, we could make it to lunch.  Otherwise, there would be no focus at all.  My dh is 6'8". My kids grew so fast, my poor dd has stretch marks on her back.  Ds (17) is 6'4", dd(15) is 5'10".  Protein is an absolute MUST!

"Mommy's Mess" reminds me of something I have failed to perfect here. DH's 87 year old grandmother loves to take us out to breakfast when we visit her and when she visits us. And she always wants to go to Denny's. Every time we go, I get the Ultimate Skillet, which has crispy, diced potato, sausage, mushrooms, red peppers, spinach, cherry tomatoes, and a hint of smoked cheddar, topped with 2 eggs any way you want them (75% of the time it is awesome, perfectly done, and 25% of the time someone messes it up and makes it too soft and/or oily, but when it is good, it is incredibly good). Anyway, I have tried several times to make this at home, but it always cooks up too mushy. I have tried cooking the components separately (the potatoes have to be), but I can't get it right.

Now I am wondering if Mommy's Mess is similar in any way to that. I need help fixing my own mess. LOL

"Mommy's Mess" reminds me of something I have failed to perfect here. DH's 87 year old grandmother loves to take us out to breakfast when we visit her and when she visits us. And she always wants to go to Denny's. Every time we go, I get the Ultimate Skillet, which has crispy, diced potato, sausage, mushrooms, red peppers, spinach, cherry tomatoes, and a hint of smoked cheddar, topped with 2 eggs any way you want them (75% of the time it is awesome, perfectly done, and 25% of the time someone messes it up and makes it too soft and/or oily, but when it is good, it is incredibly good). Anyway, I have tried several times to make this at home, but it always cooks up too mushy. I have tried cooking the components separately (the potatoes have to be), but I can't get it right.

Now I am wondering if Mommy's Mess is similar in any way to that. I need help fixing my own mess. LOL

"Mommy's Mess" evolved from just dumping what was in the veggie bin and topping with eggs.  I use hashbrowns just because they seem to cook faster, but personally, I like the diced potatoes better, too.  If I made this with diced potatoes (which I will not have to try soon) I think I would dice them fairly small to cut the cooking time.  Baking a few extra potatoes the night before would be a great thing to do, too! The trick for me seems to be getting the moisture out of the potatoes before I cook them (usually in a bit of olive oil).  Any moisture and the potatoes will be a soggy mess!

I usually shred the potatoes and really give them a working over with some paper towels to get the moisture out.  Heat a little olive oil in a non-stick pan and mash the potatoes down good in the pan to get a crust on them.  I turn them in chunks as they cook on about medium heat.  While that is cooking, I brown some low-fat bulk turkey breakfast sausage in another pan.  When done, I wipe out the grease and saute some onions and garlic for a few minutes till softened , then dice up and throw in whatever is in the fridge - bell peppers, mushrooms, yellow squash, zucchini, artichoke hearts, chopped tomatoes, scallions, anything that is lurking in the veggie bin.  When softened, I toss this in with the hashbrowns, throw in big handfuls of spinach and pour scrambled egg mixture (with a touch of seasoned salt) over the top of it.  I turn over chunks as it cooks, top with a little sharp cheddar and put the top on for a moment or two until melted. 

It is a great way to get rid of some questionable veggies.  I have also used diced ham, bacon, and even leftover steak in it.

Yummy!!!  

Here is another angle to consider when trying to improve focus/attention. The article by Dan Goleman who wrote a book called Focus: The Hidden Driver of Excellence.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dan-goleman/the-four-basic-moves-to-s_b_4058294.html

For younger children, you can have them lie down in a comfortable spot and place a stuffed animal or Thomas the Tank Engine -- whatever -- on their chest/stomach area and pay attention to the stuffed animal as it rises and falls. When their mind wanders, just teach them to bring it back to their stuffed animal as it moves. About 10" per day.

Besides eggs....

Carnation Instant Breakfast (ok, it's now called Breakfast Essentials). With milk, it has 13 g protein.

Greek Yogurt (we use the full-fat kind). 1 cup has 8 g protein, but all that fat helps keep them satisfied.

Turkey, ham, or roast beef sandwich. Grill it if you want to serve a hot breakfast :)

Special K protein bars have 10 g protein and taste like candy bars. I split one in half and put both halves in my son's lunchbox. He eats them at school when he needs a boost. His behavior totally goes south if he goes more than 2 hrs. between meals.

We did the sweet-potato hash topped with egg this morning and it was a big hit! But it was also slow both to cut and to cook. (No problem with mushy, the problem was the long time it was taking to get soft.) Any thoughts on speeding up the process?

We did the sweet-potato hash topped with egg this morning and it was a big hit! But it was also slow both to cut and to cook. (No problem with mushy, the problem was the long time it was taking to get soft.) Any thoughts on speeding up the process?

Precook the sweet potato, at least partially (e.g. parboil)? 

Eggs from our home grown, free range chickens are so delicious and dark! We are buying farm eggs from someone else right now.. We need a better coop, and I hope dh will see this now :)

Fritatta made with spinach is a great dish... I love it, some of our kids do too. ( Sinatra Fritatta is a great recipe to work by) It is Heart Healthy too :)

Muscle Milk is something dd14 loves and you can add banana to it if you like.  It beats no breakfast at all!

I have bought a few different supplements and they did not seem to help ds11 at all.  Focus Factor and another one but he thinks it does not help.  So, I need to just get him more Omega 3 supplements.

We also eat Wild Caught Salmon, some Tuna, and some Wild Caught Sardines.

Oyster casserole, or Oysters on crackers with hot sauce, Shrimp, Clam Chowder, and Bouilibaisse are great Winter foods to boost immunity as well.

How big was your dice? The smaller the better for quicker cooking. (I would guess mine is 1/2".) I leave the sweet potatoes in all by themselves (until they are probably 3/4 cooked through?) before adding the sausage. Also, after they have a little brown color on the outsides, I put the lid on to help the insides steam faster. I do this again after adding the sausage and while it cooks. Oh, and very frequently, if I get some sausage/sweet potato stuck on the bottom of the skillet, I will add a teensy amount of water and work it off (flavor!), then put the lid on for steaming. I take the lid off at the end to let all the liquid cook off because we like it dryer than that. All in all, I would guess this pulls together in 20 minutes for me. Maybe? I need to time myself. 

I googled  Pycnogenol and found this in wiki...

"Proanthocyanidins,... can be found in many plants, most notably apples, maritime pine bark, cinnamon,[2]aronia fruit, cocoa beans, grape seed, grape skin (procyanidins and prodelphinidins),[3] and red wines of Vitis vinifera (the common grape). However, bilberry, cranberry, black currant, green tea, black tea, and other plants also contain these flavonoids. Cocoa beans contain the highest concentrations.[4] Proanthocyanidins can also be isolated from Quercus petraea and Q. robur heartwood (wine barrel oaks).[5]AĂƒÂ§aĂƒÂ­ oil, obtained from the fruit of the aĂƒÂ§aĂƒÂ­ palm (Euterpe oleracea), is rich in numerous procyanidin oligomers.[6]

Apples contain on average per serving about eight times the amount of proanthocyanidin found in wine, with some of the highest amounts found in the Red Delicious and Granny Smith varieties.[7]"

Hey, lots of tea (the drink sadly), dark chocolate, red wine and apples.

Looks like I've been on the right diet all along.

It goes on to say Granny Smiths are very high. We spent years with one daily for school recess.

I might keep the red wine out for dd and share more of the dark chocolate, which she loves. She likes both green and black tea without milk.

I'm appreciating this thread. Ta

• 2 weeks later...

Protein, as others have mentioned, should be priority.

Sleep is key here. My son is a disaster if he's short on sleep, and it doesn't matter how early I start.

Pycnogenol has research support. http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00787-006-0538-3

We do this daily with my ADHD child, mostly because it helps with asthma too. I've felt it helps his ADHD a bit. But once we double dosed him. I wasn't aware, as it was a miscommunication between hubby and I. He could do all his work, including long division at the time which was a nightmare with his attention issues, quickly and without any redirection. I was flabbergasted. I've never seen it before or since with this child. That night I realized our mistake. A few days later I repeated the double dose, just to see, and it was again dramatic. I just do the regular dosing used in studies, but I do think this stuff works for my son! 

sbgrace!!!!!!! Thank you for this link! 

What caught my attention is that the study showed that this helps visual-motor issues. This is a huge deal for many kids and because it's not so easy to figure out that this is behind a lot of learning difficulties. :)

sbgrace!!!!!!! Thank you for this link! 

What caught my attention is that the study showed that this helps visual-motor issues. This is a huge deal for many kids and because it's not so easy to figure out that this is behind a lot of learning difficulties. :)

Tiramisu, you realize that means the ultimate breakfast is apple pie...   :drool5:   If you add coconut ice cream, you'd have protein, coconut fat, all the great things.  I'm sure this is good for us.  :D

Tiramisu, you realize that means the ultimate breakfast is apple pie...   :drool5:   If you add coconut ice cream, you'd have protein, coconut fat, all the great things.  I'm sure this is good for us.   :D

Yes, I think that will be much better for our moods, too. 

I read up on the supplement and realized it might not be the best fit for us. I worry about potential autoimmune issues and it stimulates the immune system. The apple pie a la mode might just be the thing.

• 1 month later...